Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If a prospect gets injured at a college camp, does that school pay for it?

Started by Pigs_In_Zen, September 21, 2014, 09:58:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigs_In_Zen

Just curious if anyone knows.

Imagine a highly-recruited player gets injured at OU's camp. If OU pays for the surgery, it almost seems like a recruiting issue. It may be the right thing to do to take care of the kid, but it seems advantageous for OU's recruitment of the kid once healed. I guess he could just say, "Thanks" and sign with OSU.
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. - Joe Thiesmann

onebadrubi

rogers-hog

I would imagine that there would be some type of private insurance required for the attendees.

Seebs

I recall fairly recently a player, I believe from Central blew out a knee while at an Arkansas or FCA camp.  I am not sure why I think this, but I believe it was a former Razorback's relative.

It simply happens.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawg_Thai'd

I'm just speculating, but I would think that the school's insurance would pay for any costs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the school. I doubt it comes out of the school's pocket directly. Think work related injuries.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

titanhawg

I remember breaking a hand at a Lady Razorbacks basketball camp back in the 80's...and they took me to the doctor in F'ville, put a cast on it and I'm pretty sure they paid for it.

That's obviously not as serious as a knee...so I'm not sure what they would do in that instance.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: Seebs on September 22, 2014, 12:12:08 am
I recall fairly recently a player, I believe from Central blew out a knee while at an Arkansas or FCA camp.  I am not sure why I think this, but I believe it was a former Razorback's relative.

It simply happens.

Maybe it was Bruce James' son an LB at Central who an acl or knee injury. He ended up at Georgia State which was reviving or starting up a new football program.

ARtillahog

The camp entry forms usually have a clause stating if the fee covers insurance or if it is in addition to entry costs.

mhuff

Tomhog™

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on September 22, 2014, 03:59:01 am
Maybe it was Bruce James' son an LB at Central who an acl or knee injury. He ended up at Georgia State which was reviving or starting up a new football program.

That's the one.  And the University didn't cover medical expenses.

If I remember correctly, I don't believe he was angry at the school for not covering it, but at the previous "real" coaching staff for poor followup.

wholehog92

Quote from: rogers-hog on September 22, 2014, 12:09:52 am
I would imagine that there would be some type of private insurance required for the attendees.

That.  Private company paid by your entry fee to the camp.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

KeithStone

You need to specify how this young person was injured:
1. A competitive injury during the course of camp drills?  No
2. Slipped on a wet staircase on his way back from the mess hall? Yes
3. Slipped on a wet staircase running bleachers?  Hmmm, that's for the lawyers

Speedracer

A lot of times surgeons that are the "official" surgeon or physician of a pro or college franchise, that practice is forking out some money to the team to do that. The doctor or physician will even pay their own way and room for road games. It works as advertising for them and will do the surgery at little to no cost....DEPENDING on the type of surgery of course.
Like smites bother me.

KeithStone

Quote from: Speedracer on September 22, 2014, 01:01:37 pm
A lot of times surgeons that are the "official" surgeon or physician of a pro or college franchise, that practice is forking out some money to the team to do that.  It works as advertising for them and will do the surgery at little to no cost....DEPENDING on the type of surgery of course.

Every part of this sounds like a recruiting violation!!!  Now the kid has gotten in-kind surgery from the "official" surgeon of the team.  Surely that's not how it works!

Pigs_In_Zen

I was asking because I had a HS player at my house talking about how his heralded teammate got hurt at another SEC school's camp and they gave a grant to the HS that was earmarked for the surgery. It just sounded fishy.
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. - Joe Thiesmann

(notOM)Rebel123

If you pay to attend a camp, the fee usually covers the cost of insurance.
But like anything, I'm sure there are some exceptions.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GolfnHog

Quote from: Pigs_In_Zen on September 22, 2014, 08:01:05 pm
I was asking because I had a HS player at my house talking about how his heralded teammate got hurt at another SEC school's camp and they gave a grant to the HS that was earmarked for the surgery. It just sounded fishy.

Why does this sound like a certain school in the other state that starts w/ an A and is very apt at discovering loopholes?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

jgphillips3

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 23, 2014, 01:58:08 pm
Why does this sound like a certain school in the other state that starts w/ an A and is very apt at discovering loopholes?
Sounds a lot like what a school that might buy a new field for a high school would do.