Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cantrell gets 4th star

Started by Music City Hog, September 19, 2014, 03:29:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

On 247:

7 minutes ago
We've made several adjustments to the 247Sports state rankings in Arkansas for the class of 2015 and one big one to the Arkansas commitment list as well.
In the state rankings, we've slid Dumas (Ark.) High School tight end Will Gragg down in the rankings from the No. 2 player in the state to No. 6. Gragg remains a four-star but he now has a 90 grade down from a 92. He slides behind Colton Jackson in the state rankings and just ahead of C.J. O'Grady who we feel has a very similar skill set.
In the three-star ranks, Arkansas State commit Darveon Brown was dropped behind Dytreion Dean, LaMichael Pettway and Deon Stewart to just outside the to 10.
Outside of the state of Arkansas but still of interest to Razorback fans is the move up in the rankings of tight end commit Austin Cantrell. Thanks to an in-person report and further feedback from sources, we feel Cantrell is a four-star level talent and he has jumped from a mid-three-star grade to inside the Top247 with a 92 rating.

jjdlc

Not surprised at all, kid is a freak athlete who just happens to play for a smaller school.

MS_HogFan

RD has given more praise to Cantrell than anyone I remember in a long time.
SOOIE

RazorPiggie

Awesome. Going to watch him tonight. My bro in law is his DL coach.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Music City Hog on September 19, 2014, 03:29:05 pm
On 247:

7 minutes ago
We've made several adjustments to the 247Sports state rankings in Arkansas for the class of 2015 and one big one to the Arkansas commitment list as well.
In the state rankings, we've slid Dumas (Ark.) High School tight end Will Gragg down in the rankings from the No. 2 player in the state to No. 6. Gragg remains a four-star but he now has a 90 grade down from a 92. He slides behind Colton Jackson in the state rankings and just ahead of C.J. O'Grady who we feel has a very similar skill set.
In the three-star ranks, Arkansas State commit Darveon Brown was dropped behind Dytreion Dean, LaMichael Pettway and Deon Stewart to just outside the to 10.
Outside of the state of Arkansas but still of interest to Razorback fans is the move up in the rankings of tight end commit Austin Cantrell. Thanks to an in-person report and further feedback from sources, we feel Cantrell is a four-star level talent and he has jumped from a mid-three-star grade to inside the Top247 with a 92 rating.
WOW! this staff can flat out evaluate talent. Cantrell is the real deal. yet another 4 star player.

swinesation

Any chance this guy plays DE instead of TE? With all the TE's we are signing, he might be more needed on the defensive side of the ball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: swinesation on September 19, 2014, 03:42:10 pm
Any chance this guy plays DE instead of TE? With all the TE's we are signing, he might be more needed on the defensive side of the ball.

I think his future is as an H-back. We will do away with the true FB and use him as a blocker and pass catcher in play action.

COCHISE

I know Bell will most likely play defense, but when/if Gragg commits, we'll have 4 of the top 15 TE's according to 247.

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2014, 03:44:17 pm
I think his future is as an H-back. We will do away with the true FB and use him as a blocker and pass catcher in play action.

Agreed, but I keep hearing from family how disruptive he is on D, I would imagine our coaches will try him out there as well.

HVHog

what does Cantrell moving to a 4 star do to our rankings?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2014, 03:44:17 pm
Would highly doubt a CBB offense ever does away with a full back.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HVHog on September 19, 2014, 03:55:50 pm

Moved us up to 21 overall instead of 22.

Huds_HawgTide

Thiught we were 21 last night already
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Bubba's Bruisers

Given that 247 rankings are supposedly a composite of the other services, doesn't them bumping him up mean that at least one other service did so? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 19, 2014, 04:13:29 pm
Given that 247 rankings are supposedly a composite of the other services, doesn't them bumping him up mean that at least one other service did so?

247 does their own rankings but they also provide a separate composite which is a mashup of all of the services. 247 ranked him a 4 star but nobody else has so his composite is still a 3 star. Look at a 247 profile and you'll see 2 different rankings for everybody.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

farhog

Didn't he say he was going to play LB this year, that would be nice 6-4 250lb 4.58

yraciv

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2014, 04:01:53 pm
Moved us up to 21 overall instead of 22.

We're like 17th or 8th though in average rating. 

redeye

Not much in the composite, but we moved up a spot to 19th in 247's own rankings.  They have us with seven 4-stars, just behind Oregon, and just ahead of Wisconsin and Oklahoma.  I'm sure there's an easier method for viewing 247's own rankings, but I simply remove the word "composite" from the URL for the composite team rankings.

I'm actually surprised they moved Cantrell up, but not because he wasn't worthy of it.  Just seems like they usually never get around to doing these things (Brandon Allen is the only other one that comes to mind for me.)  Ironically, Cantrell was our 2nd lowest rated commitment on the 247 composite, ahead of only Blake Johnson.

I'm also a little surprised to see Gragg fall so far, so late, but I guess they heard he would commit to Arkansas.

Thanks for the heads up MCH!

HOGINTENNESSEE

But Some ppl on Hogville told me Cantrell was a reach

redeye

The_Boot_stops_here

Btw, Austin Capps ('16) was bumped up to a 4* today as well

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: redeye on September 19, 2014, 07:35:10 pm
Reach for what?

Reach for a scholarship offer. Clearly they were incorrect

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on September 19, 2014, 08:23:33 pm
Btw, Austin Capps ('16) was bumped up to a 4* today as well

And I think he's ours to lose.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Granny

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 19, 2014, 07:26:43 pm

That was when he was a 3 star.  4 star changes everything.   ;D

titanhawg

It puts us at #19 on the 24/7 rankings (21 composite)

jjdlc

Quote from: farhog on September 19, 2014, 05:34:31 pm
Didn't he say he was going to play LB this year, that would be nice 6-4 250lb 4.58

I hadn't heard that.  He plays DE, quite well, and does a little of everything on offense. Had 11 carries for 137 yards, 4 TDs including a 73 yard one, 2 sacks, kicked 2 xps, and blocked a punt tonight.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jjdlc on September 19, 2014, 10:35:11 pm

I hadn't heard that.  He plays DE, quite well, and does a little of everything on offense. Had 11 carries for 137 yards, 4 TDs including a 73 yard one, 2 sacks, kicked 2 xps, and blocked a punt tonight.

Wow.....Now that there, sounds like an athlete....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Oklahawg

If he sang the national anthem and announced the game as well that would be special. :)

Congrats to Austin, and kudos to the staff for an early "find".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ZERO

September 20, 2014, 02:02:27 am #29 Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:20:35 am by ZERO
For some reason, 247 doesn't actually go by their own rankings. We have seven 4* according to them, but they only list us as having five. They place Jackson and Cantrell as 3* in their rankings evaluations.

It's also confusing that they rate Ledbetter as a 3* and a 3* composite, when Rivals and Scout list him as a 4*. Since the composite is an average, being 4* on the other services should automatically make him 4*.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

rusvegashog

Anytime we can steal a high level recruit from the Sooners it's a good thing. 3star or 4 star this kids gonna be a 5 star for the Hogs, bank on it.

RazorPiggie

Went and watched Cantrell last night and the kids is fast. That 73 yarder was straight up the middle and when he got to the goal line he didn't have player within 15 yards of him.

I was looking in the football program and in his picture he's got a huge dip in. I loled.

JIHawg

We're going to wind up with over ten four-stars when it's all said and done in February-the first time ever.

HogFoo

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 20, 2014, 08:52:23 am
Went and watched Cantrell last night and the kids is fast. That 73 yarder was straight up the middle and when he got to the goal line he didn't have player within 15 yards of him.

I was looking in the football program and in his picture he's got a huge dip in. I loled.
a huge dip.   Hahaha. That reminds me of the old baseball cards players photos from the early 80s. You'd see the player with a dang baseball sized chew of backy in their mouths. Haha.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawgzinbowlz

This staffs talent recognition is excellent. It helps being the first to offer a 2 or 3 star, who is underrated,
RD is sold on Cantrell.

" GO HOGS "

Hoggish1

When is his 4th * going to show up on our stickied tally above?

jjdlc

Quote from: ZERO on September 20, 2014, 02:02:27 am
For some reason, 247 doesn't actually go by their own rankings. We have seven 4* according to them, but they only list us as having five. They place Jackson and Cantrell as 3* in their rankings evaluations.

It's also confusing that they rate Ledbetter as a 3* and a 3* composite, when Rivals and Scout list him as a 4*. Since the composite is an average, being 4* on the other services should automatically make him 4*.

I think your reading it wrong.  When you look at the team page that shows all the commits, it's kind of confusing.  The first column is the composite rankings, while the second column is 247s ranking.  If you look at Cantrell's individual page you'll see that 247 ranks him 4*, and his composite is still 3.

We have 7 4 stars by their rankings, 5 by composite.  The Ledbetter thing is kind of strange, but I'm not sure how the calculate the composite, but however it is, he comes out at .8859, and 4 star starts at .8900

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 19, 2014, 07:26:43 pm

Well those people are god-darned idiots.  I think Cantrell may be one of the best players in our class.  He's so versatile, he's got great size, athleticism, is a horse in the weight room, and seems to have a really good attitude.  There's definitely going to be a battle to see what side of the ball he plays on. 

I'd love to see Arkansas film the workouts and drills when these guys all get on campus.   I'm still not high on Gragg, haven't been from the jump but I still want him to be a Hog. It will really be interesting to see how things flesh out.  Bell's hands may be undervalued, he's the quickest and longest of the 4.  O'Grady's got the best hands.  Cantrell's the best speed and strength.  Gragg, it all depends on his work ethic and how hard he goes after it.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 20, 2014, 02:01:41 pm
Except you cannot "steal" a recruit from a program he doesn't have an offer from. Cool narrative though.

He does have an OU offer.

Or are your commenting on the fact he committed to Arkansas before OU offered?

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/apr/30/cantrell-stays-firm-hogs-after-ou-offer/

ZERO

Quote from: jjdlc on September 20, 2014, 01:08:06 pm
I think your reading it wrong.  When you look at the team page that shows all the commits, it's kind of confusing.  The first column is the composite rankings, while the second column is 247s ranking.  If you look at Cantrell's individual page you'll see that 247 ranks him 4*, and his composite is still 3.

That's not what I meant. Look at this page:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

We're at #21, listed with five 4* and seven 3*. We actually have seven 4* by their own service, yet they only count the rankings from the composites when calculating team rankings, as shown by the fact that they list us having five 4* instead of seven. It's odd to me that they don't use their own ranking on their own site. It makes me wonder why they don't just use a composite and leave their own rating out of it, it only looks confusing.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

redeye

Quote from: ZERO on September 20, 2014, 02:02:27 am

This is why I think their composite must use at least one lesser known ranking; maybe Tom Lemmings or Max Emfinger.  I've noticed the same thing with other recruits in the past.

redeye

Quote from: ZERO on September 20, 2014, 02:26:05 pm

We're at #21, listed with five 4* and seven 3*. We actually have seven 4* by their own service, yet they only count the rankings from the composites when calculating team rankings, as shown by the fact that they list us having five 4* instead of seven. It's odd to me that they don't use their own ranking on their own site. It makes me wonder why they don't just use a composite and leave their own rating out of it, it only looks confusing.

Remove the word "composite" in the url, press the enter key and you'll have 247's own rankings.  We're ranked 19th.

I don't know why 247 seems to hide their own ranking, but it's interesting that it's used on the front page of the Arkansas page, even though it says that it's the 247 composite.

jjdlc

Quote from: ZERO on September 20, 2014, 02:26:05 pm

I got you, yeah, it's a little confusing.  For whatever reason when it comes to team rankin, 247 downplays their own ratings and pushes the composite scores.  That really isn't a bad thing though.

CDBHawg

redeye

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 20, 2014, 04:16:09 pm
No, no he doesn't. OU contacted Streun after Cantrell committed, but never officially offered. Let's get our story straight. I'll pile on OU if we land a kid they actually want like Barnett, but in this case you cannot steal what another program doesn't want.

Where did you see that?  It contradicts everything we've seen about OU offering him, so some proof would be nice.

ricepig

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 20, 2014, 04:17:20 pm
It's cute that you think those are accurate.

And you know the truth, riiiiight......

HOGINTENNESSEE

No, no he doesn't. OU contacted Streun after Cantrell committed, but never officially offered. Let's get our story straight. I'll pile on OU if we land a kid they actually want like Barnett, but in this case you cannot steal what another program doesn't want.

His Teammates Brady Roberson and Madison Bunch both claimed to be present when OU offered.

jjdlc

Not sure where your getting your info, I know several people close to Cantrell who says the offer was absolutely real.  In fact, OU coaches have been at Roland several times since he committed trying to sway him, not sure why they would put that much effort into a recruit they don't really want.

rusvegashog

Props to those, I couldn't have made my point like y'all did.