Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Class Since 09

Started by Hey Super, September 19, 2014, 12:50:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 20, 2014, 06:21:12 pm
Winston did not perform, Gordon left and Thomas did not come in till the next class. 

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3356890

You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd.  All of those players in white were not major contributors, as you say, but at least it was better than the 2010 class

But they all played and 2 played a lot. I don't have a Scout account, but he doesn't show up as part of the 2010 class on Scout or Rivals.  Maybe he just had to take some Summer classes?  Regardless, he was a significant contributor and is listed in that class.

How you can say that Travis Swanson or Cobi Hamiliton were not significant contributors is beyond my comprehension.  If the Petrino angle is causing you to disrespect the players in that class, then you're not being fair to them.

flippinhogmana

two things redeye, first why don't we let this go.  second, get some shuteye and think about this in the morning.  the post before yours didn't say none of his chart in white were not major contributors, but that they all weren't as I suppose he thinks you seem to think.

As I said earlier only Cobi Hamilton and Travis Swanson (a three and a two star) were major contributors for 3 years or more..a couple of them were contributors for a couple of years, and some were lessor contributors for a longer time, but only those two made major contributions as long as that class was here.  Robert Thomas for example had to go the juco route and lost his senior year to injury.  He had two good, but not stellar years as a result.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Pork Twain

September 21, 2014, 06:38:17 am #52 Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:01:13 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: redeye on September 20, 2014, 08:22:55 pm
But they all played and 2 played a lot. I don't have a Scout account, but he doesn't show up as part of the 2010 class on Scout or Rivals.  Maybe he just had to take some Summer classes?  Regardless, he was a significant contributor and is listed in that class.

How you can say that Travis Swanson or Cobi Hamiliton were not significant contributors is beyond my comprehension.  If the Petrino angle is causing you to disrespect the players in that class, then you're not being fair to them.
He went to JC and was not a part of that class and that is a fact.

http://247sports.com/Player/Robert-Thomas-8581?Institution=23605

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Thomas-108230

Some of the 2009 class were very good players for the Hogs, but a few good players does not a great class make.  You are down to a couple of players and you are still trying to discuss how great that entire class was?  I am not sure what your point is any more.  08, 11, 13, 14 were all better classes top to bottom.

My issue here is that people do not bother to look past the class rankings many times and 2009 and 2010 showed that you have to do that.  BP had a couple of good classes but those were not them.  Saying this is the "Best class since 09" is not the complement many seem to think it is.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Royal Fortune on September 19, 2014, 12:50:14 pm
I think that this years class, according to rivals rankings, will be the best haul we've had since 2009. Yes, I know, I'm a star gazer. The first step to rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem. I know stars aren't everything, but they definitely mean something.

I remember in 2009 drooling over the number of recruits we had 4* or more. They seemed to just keep coming in. Realistically, we don't get the "all hype" classes like Bama or USC, but this year seems to be another 2009 for us. Our class is looking oh so competitive.

Here is 2009 for reference when we finished #16 in the nation. I expect it to be close to if not better this year.
https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/commitments/2009/6-74

Just excited I suppose. We have our homegrown crop surrounded by some pretty sweet imports.

As good and might be BETTER!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2014, 10:38:03 am
As good and might be BETTER!
Dear baby Jesus in a diaper, I hope it is better.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 21, 2014, 06:38:17 am
He went to JC and was not a part of that class and that is a fact.

http://247sports.com/Player/Robert-Thomas-8581?Institution=23605

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Thomas-108230

Some of the 2009 class were very good players for the Hogs, but a few good players does not a great class make.  You are down to a couple of players and you are still trying to discuss how great that entire class was?  I am not sure what your point is any more.  08, 11, 13, 14 were all better classes top to bottom.

My issue here is that people do not bother to look past the class rankings many times and 2009 and 2010 showed that you have to do that.  BP had a couple of good classes but those were not them.  Saying this is the "Best class since 09" is not the complement many seem to think it is.

I'm just now revisiting this thread, so I apologize for the delayed response.

I think the part in bold is what we should be concentrating on, because where the class was ranked is what we're really talking about.  I agree that there is far more to rating a class then it's ranking, but we could spend weeks debating the best way to go about rating classes in hindsight.  I've already gone down that route by mentioning our record during their time, and you responded by noting that it wasn't just that class, for example.

Regardless, you may be right that it wasn't a great class in hindsight.  I'd have to compare/contrast it to others and don't have it in me to do that right now.

Tomhog™

What's sad is this is one of our best classes in many years.  We are in the top 20 nationally, and yet we just barely crack the top 10 of the SEC. Brutal conference, and an even more brutal division. 

fakebobholt

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 24, 2014, 04:38:23 pm
What's sad is this is one of our best classes in many years.  We are in the top 20 nationally, and yet we just barely crack the top 10 of the SEC. Brutal conference, and an even more brutal division.

this, lets roll out some walton or tyson money and pay players. I was in college when we won the national title in bball. The experience and the ride was awesome. If they took it from us, they couldnt take the experience away. Lets buy a football title

PorkRinds

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 25, 2014, 05:57:00 pm
this, lets roll out some walton or tyson money and pay players. I was in college when we won the national title in bball. The experience and the ride was awesome. If they took it from us, they couldnt take the experience away. Lets buy a football title

Is your claim that we bought  our basketball title?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 24, 2014, 04:38:23 pm
And that's fine Tom. a top 20 class has a great chance to beat a number 1 class. not a big difference per player.our problem has been trying to be a number 1 class with a number 30 to 35 recruiting class. i would take a top 20 class every year at Arkansas.

redeye

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 25, 2014, 06:17:01 pm
And that's fine Tom. a top 20 class has a great chance to beat a number 1 class. not a big difference per player.our problem has been trying to be a number 1 class with a number 30 to 35 recruiting class. i would take a top 20 class every year at Arkansas.

I agree.  Think of all the success we've had with classes that were usually in the 25-35 range.  Think what we could do with just slight improvement to the 10-20 range; preferably 10-15.

Pork Twain

Like I always said with CBP and will continue to say with CBB, the key is to recruit the players they need for their system and have a low miss-rate, so that they can properly develop those players.  We have to do that because even though we are now seeing we can do better in recruiting, we will NEVER recruit like Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, and Florida on a consistent basis.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 26, 2014, 07:27:16 am
Like I always said with CBP and will continue to say with CBB, the key is to recruit the players they need for their system and have a low miss-rate, so that they can properly develop those players.  We have to do that because even though we are now seeing we can do better in recruiting, we will NEVER recruit like Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, and Florida on a consistent basis.

yep....our margin for error isn't as big as those with great recruiting areas and tradition.  Our hit rate has to be well above average in order for us to compete at a consistently high level
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!