Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Class Since 09

Started by Hey Super, September 19, 2014, 12:50:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Super

I think that this years class, according to rivals rankings, will be the best haul we've had since 2009. Yes, I know, I'm a star gazer. The first step to rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem. I know stars aren't everything, but they definitely mean something.

I remember in 2009 drooling over the number of recruits we had 4* or more. They seemed to just keep coming in. Realistically, we don't get the "all hype" classes like Bama or USC, but this year seems to be another 2009 for us. Our class is looking oh so competitive.

Here is 2009 for reference when we finished #16 in the nation. I expect it to be close to if not better this year.
https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/commitments/2009/6-74

Just excited I suppose. We have our homegrown crop surrounded by some pretty sweet imports.

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

bjeffersonhog

Being the #16 class in the nation.... that is an extremely disappointing class...  I would take either of Bielema's first 2 classes over that one and wouldn't even give it a second thought.   

DeuceHawg

The best thing about this class is that we already have talent from the previous two recruiting classes on the team.   This class isn't having to fill the cupboard.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on September 19, 2014, 12:56:48 pm
Being the #16 class in the nation.... that is an extremely disappointing class...  I would take either of Bielema's first 2 classes over that one and wouldn't even give it a second thought.   

I agree.
The majority of our 4 star guys either didnt play or didnt meet expectations.
I liked our 08 class with Childs, Wright, Gragg, Adams better.
Although we did land Hamilton, Knile, Alvin Bailey in that haul.

MS_HogFan

STUDS
Bailey
Swanson
Davis
Jones
Hamilton

STARTERS/PLAYED
Winston
Wingo
Rasner
Mitchell

GOOD JUCOS
Crim
Thomas
Leon

It helps when you sign 31 people, but that is a pretty good class
SOOIE

Fan1958

Quote from: Royal Fortune on September 19, 2014, 12:50:14 pm
I think that this years class, according to rivals rankings, will be the best haul we've had since 2009. Yes, I know, I'm a star gazer. The first step to rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem. I know stars aren't everything, but they definitely mean something.

I remember in 2009 drooling over the number of recruits we had 4* or more. They seemed to just keep coming in. Realistically, we don't get the "all hype" classes like Bama or USC, but this year seems to be another 2009 for us. Our class is looking oh so competitive.

Here is 2009 for reference when we finished #16 in the nation. I expect it to be close to if not better this year.
https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/commitments/2009/6-74

Just excited I suppose. We have our homegrown crop surrounded by some pretty sweet imports.

Think it was Mike Irwin talking about Charlie Strong and Strong's assessment of what is wrong with Texas and that is everybody falls in love with stars assigned by a bunch of jock sniffers (my term) who never coached or recruited anybody.  These star crossed lovers don't take into account a kid's character and mental and physical toughness but the coaches know all of that because they interact with the kids, talk with them and also visit with the coach.  Strong's take is he will take kids who are prepared to play and are a fit for what he wants to do over those who have lots of stars if they don't fit his philosophy.

Dan Skipper was a 3* on both Scout and Rivals.  Based on his play at the college level how was he not a 5*?
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

immahog

yea that class was not to hot imo .....D winston smh
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

onebadrubi

That rivals list is all you need as proof not get overwhelmed with stars. 

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: MS_HogFan on September 19, 2014, 01:08:50 pm
STUDS
Bailey
Swanson
Davis
Jones
Hamilton

STARTERS/PLAYED
Winston
Wingo
Rasner
Mitchell

GOOD JUCOS
Crim
Thomas
Leon

It helps when you sign 31 people, but that is a pretty good class
Jones was a stud?? He was adequate as a freshman and did absolutely nothing after that. Played very little last two years here. Winston hardly played.

Hey Super

I was merely referring to the stars and how impressive it looks at first glance. But are you sure that the #16 class in the nation is "extremely disappointing" ?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Hey Super

Quote from: immahog on September 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm
yea that class was not to hot imo .....D winston smh

Yes but how were we to know. At the time it seemed like a super awesome haul - just like this current class.

Fan1958

Quote from: Royal Fortune on September 19, 2014, 02:08:07 pm
I was merely referring to the stars and how impressive it looks at first glance. But are you sure that the #16 class in the nation is "extremely disappointing" ?

If it turned out to be a turnip.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Hey Super

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 19, 2014, 02:09:22 pm
If it turned out to be a turnip.

Yeah agreed, but he was saying that actually having the #16 class in the nation is an extremely disappointing class. That's a little over dramatic.

thefisher

September 19, 2014, 02:21:37 pm #13 Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:06:41 am by thefisher
Top to bottom this years class is destroying the 2009 class.  You must remember that the 2009 class signed a great many more total players than is currently allowed.

Here is the link to that 2009 class total.     http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/Commits

All those recruits get a certain number of points just for signing on the dotted line.

However, to get a real picture you have to see the average ranking of the recruits. Only then do you see the real skill quality of the folks that have signed up.

The 2009 class had an average ranking of 81.73 skill points per recruit.

This years class currently has an average ranking of 88.20 skill points per recruit.

The skinny on it is that CBB & Co are recruiting much better athletes overall than the Hogs have seen in a very long time.

Many also believe that last years class was the best "top to bottom" class in Hogs history.  By that they mean that the Hogs did not sign the lower level athletes to finish out they historically have.  There were no "weak links", if you will.

Couple all that recruiting info with the fact that the CBB & Co are retaining a much higher percentage of the recruits than has historically been true.  We are beginning to see the accumulation of quality depth that leads to great performances on the field.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: Royal Fortune on September 19, 2014, 02:13:39 pm

Yeah agreed, but he was saying that actually having the #16 class in the nation is an extremely disappointing class. That's a little over dramatic.

No, I was saying for being the #16 class coming out of highschool... It turned out to be extremely overrated and disappointing.  At the time it was not disappointing, after they played it was.

FutureMan

Quote from: thefisher on September 19, 2014, 02:21:37 pm
Top to bottom this years class is destroying the 2009 class.  You must remember that the 2009 class signed a great many more total players that is currently now allowed.

Here is the link to that 2009 class total.     http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/Commits

All those recruits get a certain number of points just for signing on the dotted line.

However, to get a real picture you have to see the average ranking of the recruits to see the real skill quality of the folks that have signed up.

This years class currently has an average ranking of 88.20 skill points per recruit.

The skinny on it is that CBB & Co are recruiting much better athletes overall than the Hogs have seen in a very long time.

Many also believe that last years class was the best "top to bottom" class in Hogs history.  By that they mean that the Hogs did not sign the lower level athletes to finish out they historically have.  There were no "weak links", if you will.

Couple all that recruiting info with the fact that the CBB & Co are retaining a much higher percentage of the recruits than has historically been true.  We are beginning to see the accumulation of quality depth that leads to great performances on the field.

Well said.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

flippinhogmana

yes royal, I too would refer to that class as a major disappointment and the repudiation of the star system's accuracy.  Someone else's evaluation doesn't always measure character, heart and other intangibles and can be otherwise misleading.  I cant think of more than Swanson and Davis having a major impact for three or four years from that class
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ZERO

Six 4* recruits committed with a shot at at least a couple more. Does anyone know if we have a shot at any besides Gragg, Barnett, and Wariboko? I don't think we're getting Wariboko anyway, but Gragg is a high chance, and we're in the running for Barnett.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Mike_e

I am also very happy to see the redshirt and walk-on programs that CBB is getting together.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hey Super

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on September 19, 2014, 02:26:34 pm
No, I was saying for being the #16 class coming out of highschool... It turned out to be extremely overrated and disappointing.  At the time it was not disappointing, after they played it was.

Okay well then I agree with you.

Hey Super

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 19, 2014, 02:34:58 pm
yes royal, I too would refer to that class as a major disappointment and the repudiation of the star system's accuracy.  Someone else's evaluation doesn't always measure character, heart and other intangibles and can be otherwise misleading.  I cant think of more than Swanson and Davis having a major impact for three or four years from that class

Yes disappointing overall but definitely thankful for the few gems we salvaged.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 19, 2014, 02:02:15 pm
Jones was a stud?? He was adequate as a freshman and did absolutely nothing after that. Played very little last two years here. Winston hardly played.

One of us is not remembering well regarding DD Jones. He started almost every game his last 2 years. Maybe Stud was overstating it but he played a lot.
If Winston would have been a 3 star people would not be so down on him. He played a good bit his first 3 years including many starts.

It was one of the best classes we have had before CBB got here.
SOOIE

flippinhogmana

But, all points made royal, I too am optimistic about this class which is your overall point.  Lets all hope it meets its promise and greatly exceeds the promise of the 09 class. 

There are some axioms that stand the test of time.  1) where both are equally skilled, a good fast big man will beat a good fast small man in the game of football team sports a majority of the time.  2.  That is especially true if momentum and heart are equal factors and coaching is equal.  3.  Heart is hard to judge but work ethics aren't.  4.  momentum (as well as injuries and officiating) is fickle but heart and work ethics aren't.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

MS_, DD was 'okay' but Winston I remember for only occasional flashes of potential and otherwise mediocrity at best.  That is almost the quintessential definition of 'disappointment' isn't it? 

What I remember most about him is him also getting burned a lot more than he should have as a five star, hence the disappointment.  And he wasn't a three star was he?  Its curious you use him as an example when he almost single-handedly proves the point that 2009 was a disappointing class.

COCHISE

The '09 class was ranked so high because it contained 32 commits. This years class will be better hands down, maybe not higher, but better.

MissippHog

Here's the rankings according to 247:
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

We are currently sitting at 21st.  If you look at the average player rating, we would jump up 3 spots.  Cantrell has been re-evaluated and is now a 4*.  If RWIII continues on his rampage, I guess it's possible he could get bumped up as well. 

RazorPiggie

I believe rivals only takes the top 20 to 25 in consideration not the entire 32. I could be wrong though.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: MS_HogFan on September 19, 2014, 03:23:53 pm
One of us is not remembering well regarding DD Jones. He started almost every game his last 2 years. Maybe Stud was overstating it but he played a lot.
If Winston would have been a 3 star people would not be so down on him. He played a good bit his first 3 years including many starts.

It was one of the best classes we have had before CBB got here.
DD missed nearly all of his senior season with "leg fatigue" and Byran and Thomas started his junior year. He was a below average SEC DT. Never really made any plays outside his freshman year and never sniffed the NFL. To label him a stud is ridiculousness. Winston had no significant PT his first and final years. Second year got a little time before getting torched. Same the next season.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MissippHog on September 19, 2014, 03:54:28 pm
Here's the rankings according to 247:
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

We are currently sitting at 21st.  If you look at the average player rating, we would jump up 3 spots.  Cantrell has been re-evaluated and is now a 4*.  If RWIII continues on his rampage, I guess it's possible he could get bumped up as well.
BTW just an "aside": I assume everyone noticed that in the ranking we move up a significant five spots from the last ranking. I'm sure as a result of Cantrell's rerating and Ledbetter's commit.

flippinhogmana

"BTW just an "aside": I assume everyone noticed that in the ranking we move up a significant five spots from the last ranking. I'm sure as a result of Cantrell's rerating and Ledbetter's commit."

I believe that or the purpose of reranking, this includes only Ledbetter's commit from looking at the data on their site for Arkansas, it appears he (Cantrell) is still rated a three star.  If that is the case then our ranking, once the four star is taken in account might rise another spot.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 19, 2014, 04:10:02 pm
DD missed nearly all of his senior season with "leg fatigue" and Byran and Thomas started his junior year. He was a below average SEC DT. Never really made any plays outside his freshman year and never sniffed the NFL. To label him a stud is ridiculousness. Winston had no significant PT his first and final years. Second year got a little time before getting torched. Same the next season.

I said one of us was mis remembering. I guess that would be me. 
SOOIE

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

redeye

Quote from: thefisher on September 19, 2014, 02:21:37 pm

I have a very different opinion then many of you.  The 2009 class was VERY good.  I think it was the most 4+ star players we had ever signed.  Several of them never lived up to expectations, but there were also several underrated players in that class.

247 didn't even exist back then.  I don't know why they post data for years before they existed, but in my experience, much of it's wacky.  Our average player ranking on Rivals -- the most widely used service in 2009 -- was the highest on record, before or since (I actually noticed this just the other day.)  Along with 2008's players, the guys in 2009 were responsible for the success we had in 2010-11, so I don't know how anyone can say that 2009 was anything less then an outstanding class for Arkansas.

Having said that, I agree with the OP that we're on target to sign an even better class this year.  Our current average player rating on rivals is higher then it was for 2009.

onebadrubi

Don't we currently have the top punter in the nation commuted, albeit lowering these averages as well?

redeye

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2014, 07:40:53 pm
Don't we currently have the top punter in the nation commuted, albeit lowering these averages as well?

Well, some consider him the top punter, but some don't.  I think he may have been on 247 at one time, but he's not now.

In fairness, South Carolina, Auburn and Missouri all have punters committed as well.

flippinhogmana

I don't think the op needs to feel badly for making the point we are doing better than usual in our recruiting.  In one respect he doesn't need to apologize for comparing it statistically to the 2009 class as something we are exceeding.  But then neither do some of us who pointed out that in other ways the stats of that class doesn't measure up with their stars.

Those of you who defended the class and some of the individuals in it are to be congratulated on your loyalty to them as well.  Except for those who never made it to campus, they were razorbacks and at least became a part of the team and tried. 

It is my hope that the old pig farmer and the other coaches have better judgment of talent and character (much like an old bootlegger's son we all know and who went on to greater things than college coaching) than some of our previous coaches have had.  The measureables are important but they aren't everything.   The stars are almost totally about measureables and stats.

I don't want to raise that debate again.  Its been debated ad nauseum.  I just want to agree with the op that this looks like a good class (in every respect); better than we have had in years and years.

redeye

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 19, 2014, 08:11:14 pm
Those of you who defended the class and some of the individuals in it are to be congratulated on your loyalty to them as well.  Except for those who never made it to campus, they were razorbacks and at least became a part of the team and tried. 

For the record, I wasn't just being loyal.  It really was a good class.  I guess some are reflecting their disappointment with the players who never materialized, but like I said, there were also many that were much better then expected.  I also suspect some are confusing 2009 with later years, when recruiting dropped off some.

SemperFi

I considered that 09 class somewhat of a disappointment. So much hype and we really only had a handful of those kids that became standouts; Swanson was the real gem in that class. Knile Davis ended up being pretty special as was Alvin Bailey. We had a few more that ended up being "solid" and too many that never saw the field or failed to produce.

When you look at the 14 class you see several kids that have big time offers. Granted they still need to produce on the field, but based on the previous two classes that Coach B put together I am very optimistic and excited about this incoming class. I think this particular class could end up being the best from top to bottom that we've seen at Arkansas.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Pork Twain

I bet this class is a lot less disappointing than the 2009 class.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WarPig88

Attention star gazers!

Historically, about half our 4 star guys will wash out.

It's the same at every school, especially once your roster is fairly full. It will be the same for CBB in a couple of seasons as well.

The class you guys are claiming sucked so bad averaged more wins per season than DMac, Felix and Hillis did in their 3 year run.

Not only that, those guys set the bar for where the competition to play started for our team which made the guys who actually did see the field have to be better. Seriously, Wingo made a roster and was never more than a backup here.

That class performed at a time when the SEC West was at it's peak. Let's hope that CBB's class can out do them, but quit acting like they sucked please.

flippinhogmana

Pigg, Take off your rose color spin glasses, please. 

Under what clouded delusional stats could you spin the notion that this class (2009) performed for more wins that DMacs class?  Ahh perhaps that's it, you been smokin something. 

Seriously, you do have up to four classes involved in a program in any given year, even five years with fifth year seniors and in some rare cases up to six years, so you could say one class was responsible for those wins (during any time they were here), but to assert that these guys had a higher winning record than anyone else does violence to intelligence.

redeye

September 20, 2014, 02:05:58 pm #41 Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:59:54 pm by redeye
This is silly.  The 2009 class was considered the best Arkansas had signed on the '09 NSD.  I believe it was also the highest rated class we'd ever signed, according to the service most used back then.  They also contributed to accomplishments we hadn't seen in over 30 years, such as an 11-win season and #3 rank in the AP poll.  Yea, several players never materialized, but WarPig is right about that happening with approximately half of our 4+ star players historically.

The one thing I disagree with him about is that I do think we'll see it happen less with CBB.

Pork Twain

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 20, 2014, 10:20:54 am
Attention star gazers!

Historically, about half our 4 star guys will wash out.
First, there is nothing to support that other than poor recruiting by the last two coaches. 

It's the same at every school, especially once your roster is fairly full. It will be the same for CBB in a couple of seasons as well.
Support this with facts and I will buy it. 

The class you guys are claiming sucked so bad averaged more wins per season than DMac, Felix and Hillis did in their 3 year run.
That class did not average anything, the team did and there were not a lot of contributors from that class. 

Not only that, those guys set the bar for where the competition to play started for our team which made the guys who actually did see the field have to be better. Seriously, Wingo made a roster and was never more than a backup here.
Not really 

That class performed at a time when the SEC West was at it's peak. Let's hope that CBB's class can out do them, but quit acting like they sucked please.
Many of them did not since they were not here that long and the highest ranked player, played more like a 3* 
It was a good class on paper, but that is why they go ahead and have the players show up and play.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

This looks to be the best class since 08

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 20, 2014, 03:43:18 pm
That class did not average anything, the team did and there were not a lot of contributors from that class. 

How can you say "there were not a lot of contributors"?  Some of them had career ending injuries and some washed out, but there were likely more contributors from that class then most.

I don't understand why this keeps being repeated and would like to see proof of it.

Medic821

Who got that 2009 class to sign?  Was it that quaterback KILLA???? ;) ;)

redeye

Quote from: Medic821 on September 20, 2014, 04:20:07 pm
Who got that 2009 class to sign?  Was it that quaterback KILLA???? ;) ;)

It was Petrino's second class.

Pork Twain

Quote from: redeye on September 20, 2014, 04:13:51 pm
How can you say "there were not a lot of contributors"?  Some of them had career ending injuries and some washed out, but there were likely more contributors from that class then most.

I don't understand why this keeps being repeated and would like to see proof of it.
I just gave you a list of proof.  Red players either did not show up with the class, washed out or were Darius Winston

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 20, 2014, 04:27:00 pm
I just gave you a list of proof.  Red players either did not show up with the class, washed out or were Darius Winston

So, because Winston didn't play like a 5-star, the class was a disappointment?  And why is Robert Thomas and David Gordon on the list?  Thomas was a 3-star JUCO and is now in the NFL, so how is that bad?

Even if you remove those in red, it still leaves 16 players in white and that's awful good.  I'm not sure you'll find another Arkansas class with that many contributors.

Pork Twain

Quote from: redeye on September 20, 2014, 04:59:28 pm
So, because Winston didn't play like a 5-star, the class was a disappointment?  And why is Robert Thomas and David Gordon on the list?  Thomas was a 3-star JUCO and is now in the NFL, so how is that bad?

Even if you remove those in red, it still leaves 16 players in white and that's awful good.  I'm not sure you'll find another Arkansas class with that many contributors.
Winston did not perform, Gordon left and Thomas did not come in till the next class. 

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3356890

You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd.  All of those players in white were not major contributors, as you say, but at least it was better than the 2010 class