Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarification on * rankings -- Ledbetter example

Started by popcornhog, September 18, 2014, 10:16:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

With a JUCO guy count the number of top 30 schools (currently) that offered him and divide by two then look at his video and consider his positiion.

JL is about a 4 star.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2014, 12:53:45 pm
It's no different than the other services, they just use a 100 pts. system. You have 89 rated 3* and 80 rated 3*.

And that's my whole point Rice, and while I think looking at those ratings is a better analysis of the level of athlete that they consider him to be, as we all know, the recruiting services miss at times as well. Examples...JJ Watt, Korliss Marshall and there are others obviously.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 03:58:07 pm
And that's my whole point Rice, and while I think looking at those ratings is a better analysis of the level of athlete that they consider him to be, as we all know, the recruiting services miss at times as well. Examples...JJ Watt, Korliss Marshall and there are others obviously.
I agreed with your point.  The stars are whimsical and not very worthy, imo.  The difference between stars and ratings is analogous to a 5 point scale versus a 20, or by however many numbers ratings vary.  Obviously, the more graduations you have, the more accurate the scale.  This is why I've never understood why people care about stars.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: greenie on September 18, 2014, 02:07:13 pm
Whenever you see a rating on a recruit that you're not sure about, just ask yourself "How does he compare to Vin Ascolese?"   ;D

You mean this guy, who signed with TCU and now has 4 years of eligibility remaining at LB after having been an academic casualty with us? Everybody likes to make fun of this kid, but he may turn out to be a real good player.

http://www.chatsports.com/tcu-horned-frogs/a/Meet-the-Commits-Vin-Ascolese-2-9471410#
Go Hogs Go!

greenie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 04:19:43 pm
You mean this guy, who signed with TCU and now has 4 years of eligibility remaining at LB after having been an academic casualty with us? Everybody likes to make fun of this kid, but he may turn out to be a real good player.

http://www.chatsports.com/tcu-horned-frogs/a/Meet-the-Commits-Vin-Ascolese-2-9471410#

Whoa...I wasn't making fun of this kid.  I was making fun of the way his reputation spun up here on hogville during the time of his recruiting.  He may very well turn out to be a force at LB for TCU.  I don't know the entire story about the trouble he had with the ClearingHouse.    I wish him the best.

MFG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 04:19:43 pm

He never even showed up on campus.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/04/6018541/tcu-football-notes-fields-meeting.html

Quote• Linebacker Vinny Ascolese did not report, but Patterson said that was expected.

Nor is he even on the official roster

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tcu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Oklahawg

Welcome to the joy, and frustration, of following recruiting.

We have never dived in deeply enough to figure out what positions the services evaluated the best/worst. I would bet there are some biases within that dataset, when dissected nationally for sure.

Notice that Ledbetter is listed as a DT and a DE. That changes things also - the relative strength of the positions.

Many HS athletes who are obviously not going to qualify get overlooked by some services. JUCO is the great leveling opportunity...but then you get different comparisons (JUCO teams vary in talent from league to league, for example, and a single great DL in KS might look a lot better than they look in TX, in one "for instance").

Ledetter looks like the real deal, a big-time contributor for next year.

Final point to note: Mount Cody was a critical part of Bama's NC run a few years ago, but was a 3-star (concensus) recruit.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MFG on September 18, 2014, 04:55:05 pm
He never even showed up on campus.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/04/6018541/tcu-football-notes-fields-meeting.html

Nor is he even on the official roster

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tcu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Well I'll be doggone. Nice find. From what I quoted it looked like he was committed and signed. Wonder where he wound up or if he is playing at all?
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 18, 2014, 05:31:40 pm
Final point to note: Mount Cody was a critical part of Bama's NC run a few years ago, but was a 3-star (concensus) recruit.

Mount Cody was also a JUCO.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 10:32:08 am
Popcorn, I was thinking the same.... good question. However, if he is ranked 4* by any service, he is called a 4*. That's generally what I assume. He is either ranked 4* somewhere or was. You will probably get a more informed response.

Many times you will see a player and the rankings by the 4 services. Of course they can change, but that shows the scoop without having to look up each one.

what you have to watch out for this also--if Ark is recruiting a player and he is rated say a 3* prospect and then Bama or Fla or Auburn or LSU show interest in him, amazingly that prospect will sometimes get another star just based on who is recruiting him. That way the big boys "star count" becomes inflated at times.  If Ark is recruiting against say Western Kentucky or Southern Miss--the same player as before but Bama et al havent seen him or arent recruiting him, he will stay a 3 star. 

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 06:06:58 pm
Well I'll be doggone. Nice find. From what I quoted it looked like he was committed and signed. Wonder where he wound up or if he is playing at all?

If he shows up signing with another team in 2015 im gonna start to think he doesn't really exist and was made up to troll fanbases (as a legend)
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

redeye

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 18, 2014, 06:16:06 pm
what you have to watch out for this also--if Ark is recruiting a player and he is rated say a 3* prospect and then Bama or Fla or Auburn or LSU show interest in him, amazingly that prospect will sometimes get another star just based on who is recruiting him. That way the big boys "star count" becomes inflated at times.  If Ark is recruiting against say Western Kentucky or Southern Miss--the same player as before but Bama et al havent seen him or arent recruiting him, he will stay a 3 star.

I'm sure some people don't believe that, but certain recruiting service employees have even admitted that ratings are partially based on who has offered.  At the same time, however, we've all seen lower rated players with outstanding offer lists, so it works both ways.  What I find the most suspicious is when a player's rating jumps soon after committing to a school like Alabama, which may just be coincidence, but it does happen.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Ray Piggers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 11:46:56 am
Personally I like to look at the Rivals ranking number as opposed to the "stars" rating. There are low and high three and four star players. The Rivals ranking number is a better indicator of the recruiting site's evaluation of the player.

As an example: A kid with a 5.8 rating is a 4 star player but a low 4, while a kid with a 6.07 rating is still a 4 star, but just a hair from being a 5 star.

And by the way, if you look at our committments for 2015 and check out the averaged Rivals Rating, you'll find that the overall quality of the players that we are recruiting and getting commits from, are better than many of our SEC counterparts.

In fact, prior to the committment of Ledbetter, if you sort by the team Rivals Ranking average, which indicates the overall average of talent in the class (drilling down further than just the stars) we come in at #13 nationally.

Average star rating on Rivals is 12th in the nation IIRC 
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

fakebobholt

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 18, 2014, 12:00:30 pm
honestly, you can tell how good the kid by his offers. That alone should tell you what the real evaluators think of him

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 18, 2014, 09:07:41 pm
My point exactly. Thanks for helping me clarify!

lol... I figured it was, and I should have acknowledged it, because it was a good one.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:28:46 am
I see. Is rivals the one that "we" (this board generally) go by?

Rivals is yahoo, right?

We go by the one that has the highest rating.... Usually has been 24/7, but not in this case...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

redeye

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 21, 2014, 01:50:22 pm
We go by the one that has the highest rating.... Usually has been 24/7, but not in this case...

I go by 247 because it's the best site.  I rarely even look at Scout or ESPN, although the latter does offer some good tidbits.  I only use Rivals to peruse old information before 247 existed and if I need access to technical functions the other sites don't have.  I don't have a subscription, or receive privileged information, to any of them, because I already spend too much time following recruiting and past experience taught me it wasn't worth it.