Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clarification on * rankings -- Ledbetter example

Started by popcornhog, September 18, 2014, 10:16:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

I don't follow recruiting as closely as most if you, so stupid question.

I hear people (and have read in the media) saying that Hogs land 4* recruit Jeremiah Ledbetter.

A quick google search shows 3 *. Am I looking in the wrong place? Are the results that I'm seeing (below) wrong?

FWIW I couldn't care less how many stars he has -- between his video footage and his offer sheet he sounds like the real deal. I am just curious and don't want to be telling people that we landed a 3* if he's really a 4* or vice versa.

Thanks for the explanations in advance!

[attachment deleted by admin]
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: CattleCorn on September 18, 2014, 10:23:26 am
He's a 4* on Rivals.com.

I see. Is rivals the one that "we" (this board generally) go by?

Rivals is yahoo, right?

[attachment deleted by admin]
WPS

The_Iceman

With JUCO's, you have to be careful not to pull their high school profile. A lot of these guys develop a lot between their senior year in high school to their second year of JUCO.

mhuff

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:16:39 am

I hear people (and have read in the media) saying that Hogs land 4* recruit Jeremiah Ledbetter.

A quick google search shows 3 *. Am I looking in the wrong place? Are the results that I'm seeing (below) wrong?

FWIW I couldn't care less how many stars he has -- between his video footage and his offer sheet he sounds like the real deal. I am just curious and don't want to be telling people that we landed a 3* if he's really a 4* or vice versa.

Popcorn, I was thinking the same.... good question. However, if he is ranked 4* by any service, he is called a 4*. That's generally what I assume. He is either ranked 4* somewhere or was. You will probably get a more informed response.

Many times you will see a player and the rankings by the 4 services. Of course they can change, but that shows the scoop without having to look up each one.

popcornhog

Quote from: COCHISE on September 18, 2014, 10:25:35 am
and Scout

I can't find his scout profile. Do you have a link?

Thanks

Which one do we typically go by? When someone says that so-and-so is x stars?

Are rivals, 247, scout, and espn the "main" ones?

Is one considered the "best" or do we typically just quote a player's highest ranking?
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:32:15 am

Thanks

Is one considered the "best" or do we typically just quote a player's highest ranking?

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=7628904

Scout profile. Searching "Jeremiah Ledbetter Scout" on google didn't pull it up. Had to go to scout.arkansas.com

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:28:46 am

LOL.  Yeah, you are definitely a rookie. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Rivals is yahoo, right?

It's the one that I use.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mhuff

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:32:15 am

Thanks

Subjective.....Rivals and 247 on FB and Scout on BB is probably most accurate imho. I would say that they take the highest rating. It is not that often that a player is a concensus 4* or whatever.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

I think one of the reasons 247 might be evaluating Ledbetter lower than Rivals and Scout is they project him having to move inside. Which, if true, is accurate on their part.

But, if Herbert works with him, he could stay at DE.

IBleedRazorbackRed

247 composite is what I usually go by when calling them a 3 or 4 star, just because it averages all of the different rankings together.

Speedracer

I like 247 because they have composit rankings and their scouts seem pretty spot on.  I imagine it's challenging trying to forecast a 16-18 year old's ceiling, but I think 247 is pretty solid.  I like ESPN's rankings for college basketball
Like smites bother me.

mhuff

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on September 18, 2014, 10:42:43 am
247 composite is what I usually go by when calling them a 3 or 4 star, just because it averages all of the different rankings together.

Didn't know that..... good stuff. I was under the impression they did their own evaluation alone..... that would make sense to me. What does the other rankings have to do with anything?

Wildhog

In my experience, Rivals has always been pretty accurate. 

24/7 has been better the last couple of years.  I do like the composite rankings.  Definitely not a bad service.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jjdlc

Generally speaking, most on here prefer 247, more specifically, the 247 composite ranking, which takes into account the ratings of the other 3 main services as well.  Rivals is next for football.  For basketball and baseball it's different.

If a recruit is labeled a 4 star on any one of the sites though, you will see them referred to a 4 star.  Of course, if someone has an agenda to push, they claim whichever site supports their agenda is the only one that matters.

Wildhog

Quote from: jjdlc on September 18, 2014, 10:48:50 am
Generally speaking, most on here prefer 247, more specifically, the 247 composite ranking, which takes into account the ratings of the other 3 main services as well.  Rivals is next for football.  For basketball and baseball it's different.

If a recruit is labeled a 4 star on any one of the sites though, you will see them referred to a 4 star.  Of course, if someone has an agenda to push, they claim whichever site supports their agenda is the only one that matters.

I definitely wouldn't say that 24/7 is "better" than Rivals.  They're on pretty even footing.
1909/1964/1965/1977

popcornhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 18, 2014, 10:35:35 am
LOL.  Yeah, you are definitely a rookie.

Yes. Rookie. I know next to nothing about these services.

Explain why that was funny though. Do you not like Rivals? If not, why?

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2014, 10:40:53 am
I think one of the reasons 247 might be evaluating Ledbetter lower than Rivals and Scout is they project him having to move inside. Which, if true, is accurate on their part.

Interesting. Thanks.
WPS

Tejas_Pete

I usually look at Rivals and 247 but more than the star rankings pay attention to the offer lists. All 3* and 4* are not created equal and our class this year is far and away the best group of commits I remember, almost every single commit has offers from top BCS schools.

Star ratings have also been inflated over the years, you hardly see any 2* players anymore.

popcornhog

So the 247 composite is a composite of rivals, espn, scout, and 247?
WPS

mhuff

I think he was just teasing you. We all know that you are not a rookie. At least you asked. I just assumed. But , I learned something, so thanks for asking.

ricepig

This ^^^^^^^ I mean, what's better than a composite of everyone's ranking?

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:53:48 am
So the 247 composite is a composite of rivals, espn, scout, and 247?

That's what we think, they don't state which services are in it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:52:31 am
Yes. Rookie. I know next to nothing about these services.

Explain why that was funny though. Do you not like Rivals? If not, why?

The answer to which service is...the one that ranks us the highest of course.  That's the most accurate one. 

So it varies year to year.  Lately, 247 has been the princess.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

COCHISE

We typically go with whatever service has our recruit ranked the highest. :)

The_Iceman

Just so everyone knows, if one site has the recruit listed as a 4-star, no matter which one, I will refer to that player as a 4-star.  :) :)

Huds_HawgTide

:razorback:We tend to go with 247 because they have their ranking and then a compostie of all four major recruiting services combined...like it has been said if one service ranks em 4* then we claim em as four stars esp if 2 or more services do to
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

RyeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2014, 10:57:05 am
This ^^^^^^^ I mean, what's better than a composite of everyone's ranking?

I usually go by the composite as well but it can be a bit misleading sometimes. Especially with the basketball. I've seen kids before that were 3 stars on three services and then a 5-star on one service and it gave him a composite 4.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2014, 11:10:46 am
Just so everyone knows, if one site has the recruit listed as a 4-star, no matter which one, I will refer to that player as a 4-star.  :) :)

Spot on

RazorPiggie

I tend to go by 24/7 composite score just because he factors in all the other services. 88-89 on 24/7 composite means he is a 4* on a site or two.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 10:16:39 am

Personally I like to look at the Rivals ranking number as opposed to the "stars" rating. There are low and high three and four star players. The Rivals ranking number is a better indicator of the recruiting site's evaluation of the player.

As an example: A kid with a 5.8 rating is a 4 star player but a low 4, while a kid with a 6.07 rating is still a 4 star, but just a hair from being a 5 star.

And by the way, if you look at our committments for 2015 and check out the averaged Rivals Rating, you'll find that the overall quality of the players that we are recruiting and getting commits from, are better than many of our SEC counterparts.

In fact, prior to the committment of Ledbetter, if you sort by the team Rivals Ranking average, which indicates the overall average of talent in the class (drilling down further than just the stars) we come in at #13 nationally.
Go Hogs Go!

navyhog24

honestly, you can tell how good the kid by his offers. That alone should tell you what the real evaluators think of him

pondwater jack

I'm giving Ledbelly 3.5 star ranking.  i felt a twinge in my toe but nothing i felt like reporting.  i did not have the gas this time. That dont mean he caint develp.
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

pondwater jack

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

mhuff

Quote from: pondwater jack on September 18, 2014, 12:30:52 pm
I'm giving Ledbelly 3.5 star ranking.  i felt a twinge in my toe but nothing i felt like reporting.  i did not have the gas this time. That dont mean he caint develp.

Pondwater, you don't seem to be able to get your foot on anything solid lately. ;) I think your foot is asleep.

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 11:46:56 am
Personally I like to look at the Rivals ranking number as opposed to the "stars" rating. There are low and high three and four star players. The Rivals ranking number is a better indicator of the recruiting site's evaluation of the player.

As an example: A kid with a 5.8 rating is a 4 star player but a low 4, while a kid with a 6.07 rating is still a 4 star, but just a hair from being a 5 star.

And by the way, if you look at our committments for 2015 and check out the averaged Rivals Rating, you'll find that the overall quality of the players that we are recruiting and getting commits from, are better than many of our SEC counterparts.

In fact, prior to the committment of Ledbetter, if you sort by the team Rivals Ranking average, which indicates the overall average of talent in the class (drilling down further than just the stars) we come in at #13 nationally.

It's no different than the other services, they just use a 100 pts. system. You have 89 rated 3* and 80 rated 3*.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: pondwater jack on September 18, 2014, 12:30:52 pm

I bet it'll be acting up on Tuesday

redeye

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2014, 10:40:53 am

Yea, that seems to happen a lot when ratings vary across sites.  It's another reason I don't put too much stock in star ratings.

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 10:47:31 am
Didn't know that..... good stuff. I was under the impression they did their own evaluation alone..... that would make sense to me. What does the other rankings have to do with anything?

247 does have it's own ratings, too.  The composite is just an average of all sites, so it takes them all into consideration.

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2014, 10:57:57 am
That's what we think, they don't state which services are in it.

I don't know why they don't mention which other sites they use, but I have suspicions that they use at least one other then 247, espn, rivals and scout.  The reason is because there have been times when the composite didn't match up with the average from those 4 ratings.

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2014, 10:48:30 am
In my experience, Rivals has always been pretty accurate. 

24/7 has been better the last couple of years.  I do like the composite rankings.  Definitely not a bad service.

247 has only been around for about 4 years, so that's half their existence.  Since it hasn't been said, I'll note that 247 was started by the same guy who started rivals and then they pilfered much of the talent.

I think they all have something to offer, but that 247 is the best overall.  I do like many of the technical abilities of the rivals site better, though.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

ESPN rarely ranks JC prospects...this is the case for Ledbetter which has 0 stars in ESPN. If 247composite uses ESPN that may likely bring down the avg.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

greenie

Whenever you see a rating on a recruit that you're not sure about, just ask yourself "How does he compare to Vin Ascolese?"   ;D

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on September 18, 2014, 01:52:08 pm
ESPN rarely ranks JC prospects...this is the case for Ledbetter which has 0 stars in ESPN. If 247composite uses ESPN that may likely bring down the avg.

I wanna say that unless the site has ranked them it doesn't go into the composite.

redeye

Quote from: greenie on September 18, 2014, 02:07:13 pm
Whenever you see a rating on a recruit that you're not sure about, just ask yourself "How does he compare to Vin Ascolese?"   ;D

They say he could leap tall buildings in a single bounce.

redeye

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on September 18, 2014, 01:52:08 pm

I also wonder if the composite is using the wrong rating on other sites.  Even though he's listed as a 4 star on our rivals list, the first hit on google shows him as a 2 star on rivals.  It may be from high school, but it even shows him at Hutchinson C.C.

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 18, 2014, 11:46:56 am

It's showing #12 right now.

Our average player rating is 3.46 and that means something to me.  I've followed our recruiting on rivals since it began and have always considered 3.0 a goal that we rarely hit.  Looking back by going through the rankings, our highest rating was in 2009 (9 players rated 4 star or better) and it was 3.26 that year.  So, as of right now, we have a chance to sign our best class in history, according to the rivals rating, which I've always considered more important then rankings.

mhuff

Quote from: redeye on September 18, 2014, 01:26:33 pm
Yea, that seems to happen a lot when ratings vary across sites.  It's another reason I don't put too much stock in star ratings.

247 does have it's own ratings, too.  The composite is just an average of all sites, so it takes them all into consideration.

I don't know why they don't mention which other sites they use, but I have suspicions that they use at least one other then 247, espn, rivals and scout.  The reason is because there have been times when the composite didn't match up with the average from those 4 ratings.

247 has only been around for about 4 years, so that's half their existence.  Since it hasn't been said, I'll note that 247 was started by the same guy who started rivals and then they pilfered much of the talent.

I think they all have something to offer, but that 247 is the best overall.  I do like many of the technical abilities of the rivals site better, though.

ZERO

24/7 is, as of now, the most complete and best service to go by. They offer the most info and keep on top of news the best. 24/7, Rivals, are Scout and the three main services, so we never discount any of them. I think most fans look at all three and declare their recruits by whichever one rates them the highest. 2/3 rate Ledbetter as a 4*, so we say he's a 4* player.

It's funny how the ratings vary. Scout has our recruiting class at #20, where Rivals has us at #30.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ARtillahog

This.  Sometimes I like Rivals but mainly 247 for FB.