Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daly closed his golf course?

Started by Gohogs600, September 17, 2014, 06:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gohogs600

Saw this posted to his twitter account today... Anyone have any info?

[attachment deleted by admin]

sowmonella

He took a nice little club and ran it into the ground.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: sowmonella on September 17, 2014, 08:36:51 pm
He took a nice little club and ran it into the ground.

Lions Den was actually a fun little course. A couple of holes had incredible views of Mt Nebo...scenic course.

This was also where Daly hit a tee shot off a tee in David Feherty's mouth.

userpick

I hate this. I was fortunate enough to get to play several times there with JD while he was suspended from the tour in 2009. He's a good guy who wanted that course to make it, but for some reason it never panned out.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: userpick on September 18, 2014, 05:07:52 am
I hate this. I was fortunate enough to get to play several times there with JD while he was suspended from the tour in 2009. He's a good guy who wanted that course to make it, but for some reason it never panned out.

John seems like a guy whose heart is in the right place and who has the best of intentions, but I don't know that I'd want him running a business.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

mhuff

In all fairness, there are courses closing their doors all across the country. Golf is on the decline. The course I belonged to last year closed. Since then the greens have been bulldozed and a horse arena and possibly a water park is going to be built.

hawgon

Seventy five dollars and six hour rounds are a tough sell these days.

clutch

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 09:37:40 am
In all fairness, there are courses closing their doors all across the country. Golf is on the decline. The course I belonged to last year closed. Since then the greens have been bulldozed and a horse arena and possibly a water park is going to be built.

I think it's starting to make a comeback. The bad economy hit golf really hard. People just simply couldn't afford it anymore. It seems to be coming back a little though.

EastexHawg

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 09:37:40 am
In all fairness, there are courses closing their doors all across the country. Golf is on the decline.

Yea.  Fewer people playing golf would be great for me, but unfortunately half of them have now decided that they are tournament fishermen.  After all, all it takes is daddy buying you a $70,000 Ranger and some expensive tournament clothing and you're almost a pro...

mhuff

Quote from: clutch on September 18, 2014, 12:35:41 pm
I think it's starting to make a comeback. The bad economy hit golf really hard. People just simply couldn't afford it anymore. It seems to be coming back a little though.

It's the age group 20-30 that are abandoning the courses. Too few golfers chasing too many courses.

mhuff

Quote from: hawgon on September 18, 2014, 11:59:05 am
Seventy five dollars and six hour rounds are a tough sell these days.

Hawgon, I believe it has actually benefitted those who are still playing. I have seen some nice courses for about $35 or less.... especially this time of year.

RazorPiggie

Whats the stat?

Something like 400 courses closing each year and only about 35 starting?

or was it 200 closing?

I don't remember but regardless its not a good ratio.

clutch

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 01:04:12 pm
It's the age group 20-30 that are abandoning the courses. Too few golfers chasing too many courses.

Probably because that was the age hit the hardest by the down economy. Most people older were already financially established and could handle a small blow. The younger crowd, still full of debt, couldn't spare much.

Martygit

There's a certain fixed expense in keeping up a golf course to the point that people will come play on it.  And, it takes a certain number of rounds every year to cover that expense much less make a small profit.  The fact that the course is in Dardanelle, AR probably contributed to its inability to generate enough rounds to cover the expense.

After all, Jack Fleck, the 1955 US Open Champion, tried to run one just down the road from Dardanelle and had to close it many years ago.  I'm surprised JD was able to keep it open as long as he did.  It probably took a big chunk out of his pocketbook to keep it going.
RIP OTR, REV

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: MartinGit on September 19, 2014, 05:06:10 pm
There's a certain fixed expense in keeping up a golf course to the point that people will come play on it.  And, it takes a certain number of rounds every year to cover that expense much less make a small profit.  The fact that the course is in Dardanelle, AR probably contributed to its inability to generate enough rounds to cover the expense.

After all, Jack Fleck, the 1955 US Open Champion, tried to run one just down the road from Dardanelle and had to close it many years ago.  I'm surprised JD was able to keep it open as long as he did.  It probably took a big chunk out of his pocketbook to keep it going.

Lil' Bit of Heaven was the name of Fleck's course, in Magazine, AR.
How's that...a US Open champ running a golf course in Magazine, AR.

waphill

Quote from: clutch on September 18, 2014, 03:04:50 pm
Probably because that was the age hit the hardest by the down economy. Most people older were already financially established and could handle a small blow. The younger crowd, still full of debt, couldn't spare much.

I think golf will continue to decline. The younger generation are used to instant gratification, and don't want to invest 4-6 hours in a round of golf.

clutch

Quote from: waphill on September 22, 2014, 05:58:11 am
I think golf will continue to decline. The younger generation are used to instant gratification, and don't want to invest 4-6 hours in a round of golf.

I hear this all the time and don't buy it unless it's the age group growing up right behind me. I'm only 26 and know tons of people my age that play golf regularly. I have to think that if I know that many then there are lots of others. Now I do think there's a lot in my age group that didn't start playing until the past few years. Mostly discovered the game on their own and that has more to do with their parents not exposing them to golf when they were kids. Spent all their time playing the Big 3 sports growing up.

EastexHawg

Quote from: waphill on September 22, 2014, 05:58:11 am

Maybe so.  When I was a teenager I couldn't get enough golf, but then again I was that way about every sport.  I worked at a nine hole course and on my days off I have walked as many as 63 holes.  Every time I got a chance to play in my 20s and 30s I wanted to play 36 if I could find someone who didn't want to quit after 18.

I realize we are dealing with a different breed of teenagers and young men today.

hawgon

I had plenty of time to play in my twenties, and did a lot.  Now, in my 40s, I have too many responsibilities.  Cost is an issue, but not a huge one.  The main thing is time.  Pretty much can only play on the weekends and four to six hour rounds kill the whole day, leaving no time for anything else.

The thing that a man in his 20s doesn't realize yet is that for someone who actually has to work to  make a living, there isn't time to do everything you might like to do.  If you want to fish, hunt, or go to Razorback games, you can't golf every weekend.  And since you work, you can't do it during the week either.

For me, golf is strictly a April or May to August affair when the days are long and there is time to play after work and the weekends aren't taken up with hunting, football games, and kid's activities.

The_Iceman

I'm 25, a member at Lost Springs in Bentonville, and play 2 times a week, not counting days I just go hit a bucket of balls.

clutch

I play all the time whenever I'm not working, but I don't have a family to keep me busy so I can do as I please.

waphill

Quote from: clutch on September 22, 2014, 07:02:14 am
I hear this all the time and don't buy it unless it's the age group growing up right behind me. I'm only 26 and know tons of people my age that play golf regularly.

Yes, I'm sure there are "tons." However, are there enough of you to replace all of the baby boomers that play now and will be leaving the sport within the next 20 years?

I worked in the industry for 15 years, and it was pretty evident if you paid attention to the customer base. That was one of the reasons I changed careers.

Edit: Here's an interesting read: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2014/05/23/how-a-declining-middle-class-is-killing-golf/

hawgon

We used to have a little goat ranch in town.  Sure, it was terrible, but you could go out there and walk it for ten dollars and ride it for twenty.  And they didn't really watch or care if you played more than you should.  In short, it was a great place for kids or anyone who just wanted to kill an afternoon hacking it around with no pretensions or illusions of grandeur.

Well, six or seven years ago some car deal from Dallas bought it and gave it to his nephew to run.  He spent millions trimming trees, planting grass, redoing greens, and building a giant new clubhouse.  Now, the conditions are great, the greens are immaculate, and...they are going broke because the green fees are $50.00.  They took a cheap crappy course with a crappy extremely old fashioned (1920s and short) layout, and turned it into a moderately expensive very well maintained course with a crappy extremely old fashioned layout.

I honestly can't figure how it will ever pay.  I'm figuring the guy needed to give a nephew a job and lose some money for tax purposes.  But anyway, they ruined the only place in town where everyone was comfortable and hack it around.  They got too big for their britches.  I actually watched them run a black guy off the driving range...THE DRIVING RANGE...for not wearing a collared shirt.

No wonder golf is dying.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2014, 06:32:34 pm
We used to have a little goat ranch in town.  Sure, it was terrible, but you could go out there and walk it for ten dollars and ride it for twenty.  And they didn't really watch or care if you played more than you should.  In short, it was a great place for kids or anyone who just wanted to kill an afternoon hacking it around with no pretensions or illusions of grandeur.

Well, six or seven years ago some car deal from Dallas bought it and gave it to his nephew to run.  He spent millions trimming trees, planting grass, redoing greens, and building a giant new clubhouse.  Now, the conditions are great, the greens are immaculate, and...they are going broke because the green fees are $50.00.  They took a cheap crappy course with a crappy extremely old fashioned (1920s and short) layout, and turned it into a moderately expensive very well maintained course with a crappy extremely old fashioned layout.

I honestly can't figure how it will ever pay.  I'm figuring the guy needed to give a nephew a job and lose some money for tax purposes.  But anyway, they ruined the only place in town where everyone was comfortable and hack it around.  They got too big for their britches.  I actually watched them run a black guy off the driving range...THE DRIVING RANGE...for not wearing a collared shirt.

No wonder golf is dying.

What was the name of this course and where is it?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hawgon

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 30, 2014, 08:39:11 pm
What was the name of this course and where is it?

It is called Newhaven.  You can figure out where it is.

DeltaBoy

The PGA  been pumping big bucks into inner city's and metro areas to try and rebuild their base but Golf been in decline the past 15 years at least.  Sad to see it close but I don't have money for Golf.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

who knows

I'm 31 and just started playing golf 2 years ago...I was never introduced to it as a teenager and wasn't interested in it in my younger 20's... my buddy asked me to play a round with him a couple years ago and I've been addicted since...it's a expensive hobby... between buying new clubs to balls and tees to paying for your round of golf...then places charge $10-15 for a bucket of balls for the range...I recently stopped playing at a course because it was just steadily declining...I'm not old enough or been playing golf long enough to be able to tell if golf is declining... but I think most people just embrace that stereotype that golf is "boring"... like tennis...until they get on the course and play and realize it's pretty fun... and you can drink cold beer
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

GolfNut57

Quote from: who knows on October 02, 2014, 02:42:14 am
I'm 31 and just started playing golf 2 years ago...I was never introduced to it as a teenager and wasn't interested in it in my younger 20's... my buddy asked me to play a round with him a couple years ago and I've been addicted since...it's a expensive hobby... between buying new clubs to balls and tees to paying for your round of golf...then places charge $10-15 for a bucket of balls for the range...I recently stopped playing at a course because it was just steadily declining...I'm not old enough or been playing golf long enough to be able to tell if golf is declining... but I think most people just embrace that stereotype that golf is "boring"... like tennis...until they get on the course and play and realize it's pretty fun... and you can drink cold beer

Where the heck you been playing that charges that much for a bucket of balls? Highest price I have ever seen if $8 bucks for a large bucket. And it is rare to even see that. Most are around $6 for the large.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hawgon

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 02, 2014, 02:53:36 am
Where the heck you been playing that charges that much for a bucket of balls? Highest price I have ever seen if $8 bucks for a large bucket. And it is rare to even see that. Most are around $6 for the large.

$10 for a large bucket here.

DeltaBoy

We have a city owned course that we spent several million on and it been losing money since it reopened.

http://www.ci.cleburne.tx.us/index.aspx?NID=106
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hawgndaaz

golf is more expensive than ever and my generation isn't making much money for the hours spent working.

we aren't lazy, just very busy and not getting compensated for it because the baby boomers don't give raises.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 02, 2014, 11:19:59 am
golf is more expensive than ever and my generation isn't making much money for the hours spent working.

we aren't lazy, just very busy and not getting compensated for it because the baby boomers don't give raises.

Have you seen the dues increases at the club? We can't afford those and giving you raises..

clutch

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 02, 2014, 11:19:59 am

Heard that. Either free time or money would be cool. Either one would make me happy. Somehow I end up with neither.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: clutch on October 02, 2014, 12:24:09 pm
Heard that. Either free time or money would be cool. Either one would make me happy. Somehow I end up with neither.

Same here I got a ton of fishing equipment and I have not wet a hook in 15+ years. 

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: ricepig on October 02, 2014, 11:28:22 am
Have you seen the dues increases at the club? We can't afford those and giving you raises..

hah yep, mine just went up too. sucks but oh well.

hey, I am not talking about me personally when it comes to my financial and golf situation. I'm a single 30 year old with little debt and no kids. that makes me the exception though, not the rule.

GolfNut57

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2014, 10:29:11 am
We have a city owned course that we spent several million on and it been losing money since it reopened.

http://www.ci.cleburne.tx.us/index.aspx?NID=106

What part of Texas is Cleburne in?

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 02, 2014, 01:31:45 pm
hah yep, mine just went up too. sucks but oh well.

hey, I am not talking about me personally when it comes to my financial and golf situation. I'm a single 30 year old with little debt and no kids. that makes me the exception though, not the rule.

I was always told there were two boards you didn't want to be on, the Pastor Relation's board, and the country club board, both would be divisive.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2014, 01:31:42 pm
Same here I got a ton of fishing equipment and I have not wet a hook in 15+ years. 

Why not?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogbud

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 18, 2014, 12:37:40 pm
Yea.  Fewer people playing golf would be great for me, but unfortunately half of them have now decided that they are tournament fishermen.  After all, all it takes is daddy buying you a $70,000 Ranger and some expensive tournament clothing and you're almost a pro...

Agree

Hawgndaaz

I think Cleburne is southwest of the dfw metro area about an hour and a half.

who knows

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 02, 2014, 02:53:36 am

I play mostly around the Texarkana area but I'll venture up to Glenwood and Hot Springs occasionally. ..
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

Hawgndaaz

the range at my club charges about 4 bucks for 25 balls. the range across town is 10.50 for a large bucket.

ricepig

I pay $100 for range balls all year long, you can grab two or three bags, about 30 balls each, and go hit as many as you wish. Truthfully, there are always a couple of half bags sitting on the tee area about all the time, haha.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2014, 03:44:41 pm
Why not?

Texas had annual license that are due Labor day weekend and I am always broke with back to school Stuff so I refuse to give them a full year fee since I could not buy one till Oct or later. 

As some one posted we are 20 minutes south of Fort Worth on the New Chisholm Trail Toll Road.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 03, 2014, 01:47:52 pm
Texas had annual license that are due Labor day weekend and I am always broke with back to school Stuff so I refuse to give them a full year fee since I could not buy one till Oct or later. 

As some one posted we are 20 minutes south of Fort Worth on the New Chisholm Trail Toll Road.

C'mon delta, you're a southern boy- fishing is a must....license are cheap.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....