Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SI Roundtable - "Is it already time to crown the SEC top conference again?"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 17, 2014, 05:51:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

"So does that mean Randy Staples' fever dream will come true and four SEC teams will populate the playoff? Of course not. All these teams must play one another. Losses must be incurred. Other leagues will have teams that play strong schedules and finish with great records. At most, the SEC will only get three teams in the playoff."

LOL, love it
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

pigskinpreacherII

PorkSoda

you mean whoever the west crushes in the SECCG won't get into the playoffs?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 17, 2014, 06:06:05 pm

I tend to think that between Auburn, Alabama, and Texas A&M, the second-place finisher will also make it in. I'm going with the Iron Bowl loser reaching the CFP as well as its winner.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 17, 2014, 06:08:47 pm
I tend to think that between Auburn, Alabama, and Texas A&M, the second-place finisher will also make it in. I'm going with the Iron Bowl loser reaching the CFP as well as its winner.

Jeff's gang have as their objective this year to make 100% of college football fans think they got 75% of their picks correct.  Everyone can argue one pick they like least vs their own favorite who didn't make it but if the other 3 picks are clearly the best teams the committee will get the fan buy-in that's necessary to consider the CFP is legit.

They just about can't get there in any scenario that ends up with 2 teams from the same conference.  They definitely can't get there in any possible playoff game that is a regular season rematch.

Best chance would be the SEC East champ upsets the undefeated SEC West champ in Atlanta and a one loss 2nd place SEC West team did not play the East champ in the regular season.  Looking at the crossover games this year its almost impossible.

The SEC's real objective this year is to put 3 teams in the other 4 non-semifinal games in addition to the SEC champion in the Sugar Bowl semifinal and sweep all four games.  That will build the pressure to expand the playoff to 8 teams and not worry about rematch games.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 17, 2014, 06:06:05 pm

When was the last time the east won the SECCG? Tebow?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 17, 2014, 07:26:10 pm
Jeff's gang have as their objective this year to make 100% of college football fans think they got 75% of their picks correct.  Everyone can argue one pick they like least vs their own favorite who didn't make it but if the other 3 picks are clearly the best teams the committee will get the fan buy-in that's necessary to consider the CFP is legit.

They just about can't get there in any scenario that ends up with 2 teams from the same conference.  They definitely can't get there in any possible playoff game that is a regular season rematch.

Best chance would be the SEC East champ upsets the undefeated SEC West champ in Atlanta and a one loss 2nd place SEC West team did not play the East champ in the regular season.  Looking at the crossover games this year its almost impossible.

The SEC's real objective this year is to put 3 teams in the other 4 non-semifinal games in addition to the SEC champion in the Sugar Bowl semifinal and sweep all four games.  That will build the pressure to expand the playoff to 8 teams and not worry about rematch games.

a few years agos, the SEC had 3 of the top 5 teams.  if they take the top 4 ranked teams, there is a good chance the SEC gets 2 teams in.  there is little chance that all three of four from the B12,B10,P12,ACC have undefeated teams.  and you can't take a 1 loss team from any of those conferences over a 1 loss SEC team.

sure they would love to have a play off of 4 undefeated teams, but this is college football.

redeye

This isn't even a discussion any longer.  The SEC has dominated for so long that it now has every advantage in it's favor (e.g. money, facilities, media and exposure, recruiting and players, coaching, etc.)  These articles probably only exist so that sports writers who may have been skeptical in the past, can finally exclaim that the SEC is, indeed, the nation's best conference.

The only question now is how long will it last?  I think it's unprecedented and have no idea, but I don't see anything changing in the near future.

KennyForAD

I don' know... that's a tough one.   I'll get back to ya after I figure out if Earth is the best planet to live on.

WizardofhOgZ

Not that it affects us directly this year . . . but I have a gnawing feeling that the committee will try to do everything it can to NOT have more than one from any one conference (read: SEC) in this first year of the new four team playoff.

Ethan2010

Hard to keep out the top teams though. It's gonna get real crazy at the end of the year if you have two contenders in the sec and all of the conference champs still in the hunt. Who do you take? The sec west second place team who is a power house or the little 10 champ who escaped more games than they outright won.

Est. 1981

Quote from: pigskinpreacherII on September 17, 2014, 06:03:08 pm
Auburn
Florida St.
Alabama
Oklahoma

NOT if Oregon wins out. They will be in there somewhere if they win out this season.
UofA Alumni 2007

Mike_e

If Kansas St. (after losing to auburn) wins the big12 and the b1g winner is M St. (after Oregon beat M St.) that would leave the pac/whatever , the SEC and the ACC to fill four spots.

Of those three conferences the SEC seems most likely to have an extra team worthy of the fourth spot.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

JIHawg

Cliff notes please.  I hate threads that are just links to a bunch of pup up ads.

rusvegashog

A&m, OU, Oregon,FSU. We will c what happens w FSU w Winston out. Alabama will only get stronger and I still like Georgia. Gonna be a fun season however it pans out, but as of now I think those are the 4 best teams in the NCAA

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: JIHawg on September 19, 2014, 05:22:41 pm
Cliff notes please.  I hate threads that are just links to a bunch of pup up ads.

You need to get a different browser and/or an ad blocker.  I'm using Firefox and had no pop up ad problems with that link.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 17, 2014, 07:26:10 pm

You've absolutely "GOT" to quantify that statement...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

fakebobholt

When was this even in question. The west is a beast and even without the east would be the top confrence. We canabalize ourselves in the west. I wish we could play another confrence every game, our road graders up front would dominate everybody

Corkscrew Johnson

If there aren't 2 SEC teams in the playoffs, the system is broken.  Or I should say, never worked.