Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Past precedents do not apply

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 17, 2014, 04:29:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Was looking at previous times Arkansas had a surprisingly dominant (not dominate dammit) September victory (home or road) over an opponent that was at least expected to be decent.

Any?

2009 - 1-2 Razorbacks mashed Texas A&M 47-19. Followed with a big win over Auburn and the game we should have won at the Swamp.

2003 - Matt Jones ran all over Texas in Austin, 38-28. Beat a decent North Texas team after that, then squeaked by a bad Alabama team, and went 0 for October.

2002 - Killed Boise State, their only loss. Destroyed South Florida, which went 9-1 the rest of the way. Lost three of first four SEC games.

1998 - Houston Nutt's first SEC game, 42-6 over Alabama. Didn't stop winning until the Stumblefumble.

1995 - Lost at SMU in ridiculous fashion, their only win - then absolutely mashed South Carolina. Went on an 8-1 run after that.

1992 - Lost to The Citadel. Opened SEC play winning at South Carolina 45-7. Lost our next three.

1986 - Shut out a bowl-bound Ole Miss team to open the season. Went on a 6-1 streak.

1974 - Opened with a 22-7 win over a great USC team. Lost the next week, again at War Memorial, to Oklahoma State 26-7. One of the Hogs' toughest SWC schedules - played eight teams >.500. Finished 6-4-1.

See any pattern? Me either. Regardless, Bret Bielema is changing everything about the way Arkansas football operates. We have no idea how his football team will react to success and attention. That's part of the fun, part of the uncertain feeling.

His Wisconsin teams were 21-7 in the week after a 21+ point victory. For what it's worth. The losses always were to top Big Ten opponents, not big letdowns.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

A quote from a past regime works here, roughly quoted here: "Arkansas has a new business model."

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PorkSoda

are past presidents allowed to apply or only sitting ones?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pigsknuckles

September 17, 2014, 09:29:16 pm #3 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:40:57 pm by Pigsknuckles
The 1998 reference is the one that bewilders me the most.

As a matter of clarification. This was a time in which we could have cemented our place in the SEC as a self sustaining force to be continually reckoned with, instead of being relegated to that of the occasional spoiler.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

bphi11ips

Aren't you saying there is no precedent?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

JIHawg

A Bielema team sure has the feel that they will most always win the games they should, ie, this week.

What we don't know yet is will they win some of the games they shouldn't. 

redeye

South Carolina was really bad in the nineties. but we also beat #4 Tennessee in '92 in Knoxville.

DeltaBoy

The Hogs have been somewhat crazy over the years and have always gone against Conventional Wisdom.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike_e

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2014, 10:28:56 pm
Aren't you saying there is no precedent?

Haven't seen him in a while so who knows.

There is a vice president over at the craps table.

Does that count?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

razorbackkid

I saw four or five past precedents robbing a bank on tv last night...that's gotta mean something.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.