Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like JoJo will redshirt

Started by ricepig, September 17, 2014, 11:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

On the SEC Media call:  Arkansas coach Bret Bielema on freshman WR JoJo Robinson "It's probably in his best interest to have a redshirt year."

JayBell

I think Cornelius might be in the role they thought Jojo would have.  It looks like Cornelius may be seeing the best return for enrolling early.

YtownHog

I feel this is good.  Get through this season, which has low expectations, and have a guy like that coming off a RS next year.  I know he's RS because of an injury, but it's not always bad to have a guy of this caliber RS.

Am I off base here?

navyhog24

Having JoJo and KJ Hill as our slot receivers next year and having the same amount of years to play together on the field will pay huge dividends in the future.

JayBell

Quote from: YtownHog on September 17, 2014, 11:39:08 amAm I off base here?

No.  And I think the coaching staff feels the same way.  They want to redshirt both Wallace and Jojo, two of Arkansas' more higher-rated commitments in the most recent class, as well as Hedlund who could probably start now.  It looks like Murphy would have redshirted had he stayed.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 17, 2014, 11:39:32 am
Having JoJo and KJ Hill as our slot receivers next year and having the same amount of years to play together on the field will pay huge dividends in the future.

Man, with those two, the other WR/TE hopefully coming in, and the current group being more experienced and skilled, our QBs will be set.

The_Iceman

Good news. Give him a full year to get ready. Come back strong as a Redshirt Freshman.

Bubba's Bruisers

If he's injured and can't get on the field until close to mid season, then RS makes sense.  Frankly, RS'ing him is good for us regardless. 

Next year, Cornelius and Edwards as SO's and JoJo and Hill as FR.  That's some nice young, evenly spaced, WR talent.  Assuming we get Pettway, then you probably get to RS him and Stewart next year. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

collegestationhog

What does JoJo think about redshirting? Some guys dont want to do that. Any idea if redshirting will cause issues with him.

hogsanity

The more of your class you can RS, the better the depth should be going forward,

I think it is more obvious now than ever that BB had a plan, and he had it long before he was hired in DEC 2012.  He may not have known WHERE he would implement the plan, but he had a plan, and that plan was not to build a mobile home, but a solidly constructed building. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: collegestationhog on September 17, 2014, 11:58:29 am
What does JoJo think about redshirting? Some guys dont want to do that. Any idea if redshirting will cause issues with him.

I'm sure they've discussed it in detail, but one never knows until all parties speak.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: collegestationhog on September 17, 2014, 11:58:29 am

Shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't sound like the staff wants to Redshirt JoJo.  They don't want to waste a year of eligibility on the chance he will only play half.....or less of this year. As coach said....JoJo will benefit from this.  If he really can't play for awhile....JoJo is really not losing anything....just delaying & extending his eligibility.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Uncommon

September 17, 2014, 04:07:50 pm #13 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:41:01 pm by Uncommon
Here's what the redshirt situation is looking like so far (all redshirt eligible players ; Seniors that are not redshirting are in bold):
Will not redshirt
1 WR Jared Cornelius
2 DB DJ Dean
3 RB Alex Collins
4 WR Keon Hatcher
15 DB Henre' Toliver
21 DB Carroll Washington
28 DB Josh Liddell
32 RB Jonathan Williams
35 LB Dwayne Eugene
42 LB Josh Williams
47 LB Martrell Spaight
51 LB Brooks Ellis
55 OL Denver Kirkland
73 OL Sebastian Tretola
74 OL Brey Cook
76 OL Dan Skipper
78 DL Bijhon Jackson
80 WR Drew Morgan
82 LS Allan D'Appollonio
84 TE Hunter Henry
86 DL Trey Flowers
92 P Sam Irwin-Hill

Questionable
Have played in 2 games
6 WR Kendrick Edwards       Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
7 LB Tiquention Coleman     Played in Weeks 1 and 2      Redshirt may be on
16 DB Cornelius Floyd         Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
33 RB Korliss Marshall         Played in Weeks 1 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
44 LB Khalia Hackett           Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
53 DL Anthony Brown         Played in Weeks 2 and 3       Redshirt may be removed
72 OL Frank Ragnow           Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed

Have played in only 1 game
11 LB Randy Ramsey           Played in Week 1                 Redshirt may be on
23 DB Tevin Mitchel             Played in Week 3                 Redshirt may be removed
45 FB Tyler Colquitt             Played in Week 3                 Redshirt may be removed

Will Redshirt (Haven't played in any of the first 3 games)
9 DB Will Hines
9 QB Rafe Peavey
17 WR Jojo Robinson
18 DB Santos Ramirez
22 K Cole Hedlund
36 TE Jack Kraus
39 RB Juan Day
49 DL Armon Watts
60 OL Brian Wallace
95 DL Jake Hall

Hogdomer

Quote from: Uncommon on September 17, 2014, 04:07:50 pm
Here's what the redshirt situation is looking like so far (all redshirt eligible players):
Will not redshirt (have played in all 3 games so far)
1 WR Jared Cornelius
2 DB DJ Dean
3 RB Alex Collins
4 WR Keon Hatcher
15 DB Henre' Toliver
21 DB Carroll Washington
28 DB Josh Liddell
32 RB Jonathan Williams
35 LB Dwayne Eugene
42 LB Josh Williams
47 LB Martrell Spaight
51 LB Brooks Ellis
55 OL Denver Kirkland
73 OL Sebastian Tretola
74 OL Brey Cook
76 OL Dan Skipper
78 DL Bijhon Jackson
80 WR Drew Morgan
82 LS Allan D'Appollonio
84 TE Hunter Henry
86 DL Trey Flowers
92 P Sam Irwin-Hill

Questionable
Have played in 2 games
6 WR Kendrick Edwards       Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
16 DB Cornelius Floyd         Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
33 RB Korliss Marshall         Played in Weeks 1 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
44 LB Khalia Hackett           Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed
53 DL Anthony Brown         Played in Weeks 2 and 3       Redshirt may be removed
72 OL Frank Ragnow           Played in Weeks 2 and 3      Redshirt may be removed

11 LB Randy Ramsey           Played in Week 1                 Redshirt may be on
23 DB Tevin Mitchel             Played in Week 3                 Redshirt may be removed
45 FB Tyler Colquitt             Played in Week 3                 Redshirt may be removed

9 DB Will Hines
9 QB Rafe Peavey
17 WR Jojo Robinson
18 DB Santos Ramirez
22 K Cole Hedlund
36 TE Jack Kraus
39 RB Juan Day
49 DL Armon Watts
60 OL Brian Wallace
95 DL Jake Hall

If they have played one play, a redshirt is not possible. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 17, 2014, 04:13:45 pm

Unless they get injured or come down with Mono, a la Tyler Wilson.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 17, 2014, 04:13:45 pm
Randy Ramsey can redshirt this season if they hold him out the rest of the way ala Deatrich Wise Jr. in 2012.  Deatrich played in the Jacksonville State and Louisiana-Monroe games, got injured, and was granted a medical redshirt.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 17, 2014, 04:14:23 pm
Unless they get injured or come down with Mono, a la Tyler Wilson.

There's about to be an epidemic on the UA campus.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uncommon on September 17, 2014, 04:27:41 pm
Randy Ramsey can redshirt this season if they hold him out the rest of the way ala Deatrich Wise Jr. in 2012.  Deatrich played in the Jacksonville State and Louisiana-Monroe games, got injured, and was granted a medical redshirt.

I thought one wasn't eligible for a medical RS unless the regular RS was already exhausted.  I assume he just got to use his regular RS, which technically keeps him eligible for a medical RS in future if it ever becomes necessary.

Uncommon

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 17, 2014, 04:30:47 pm
I thought one wasn't eligible for a medical RS unless the regular RS was already exhausted.  I assume he just got to use his regular RS, which technically keeps him eligible for a medical RS in future if it was ever necessary.
That's what I meant.  It's a regular redshirt but is granted after one has played because of a medical issue within the first 3 games of the season.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 17, 2014, 04:32:16 pm
One can only hope.

Agreed.  Would love to freeze guys like Edwards, Ramsey and Floyd. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 17, 2014, 04:34:20 pm
Agreed.  Would love to freeze guys like Edwards, Ramsey and Floyd. 

Anthony Brown
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

BatesvilleHOG

If we land Petteway, I don't believe he will redshirt. He's a freak athlete with a huge frame and sticky hands. Only reason he redshirts is if he gets hurt or doesn't increase his speed from now until then.

KJ Hill and Gragg wouldn't redshirt, either.

redeye

It may be the best thing, but if he's a difference maker, I'd like to see him play.

The Kig

With the droppsies from our receiving core so far, this is is interesting... I had high hopes for him this year.   Great for the future,  but just not sure that I see the overwhelming talent that led to this.   I support the staff... Not one of the CBB haters at all. Hopefully we will see some of our WRs step up and make some catches because as spectacular as our running game is, we are going to need receiving yards to get to a bowl   
Poker Porker

RedRock

Appears we have a lot of fans red shirting too.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Uncommon on September 17, 2014, 04:07:50 pm
Here's what the redshirt situation is looking like so far (all redshirt eligible players ; Seniors that are not redshirting are in bold):
Will not redshirt
1 WR Jared Cornelius
2 DB DJ Dean
3 RB Alex Collins
4 WR Keon Hatcher
15 DB Henre' Toliver
21 DB Carroll Washington
28 DB Josh Liddell
32 RB Jonathan Williams
35 LB Dwayne Eugene
42 LB Josh Williams
47 LB Martrell Spaight
51 LB Brooks Ellis
55 OL Denver Kirkland
73 OL Sebastian Tretola
74 OL Brey Cook
76 OL Dan Skipper
78 DL Bijhon Jackson
80 WR Drew Morgan
82 LS Allan D'Appollonio
84 TE Hunter Henry
86 DL Trey Flowers
92 P Sam Irwin-Hill

Questionable
Have played in 2 games

9 DB Will Hines
9 QB Rafe Peavey
17 WR Jojo Robinson
18 DB Santos Ramirez
22 K Cole Hedlund
36 TE Jack Kraus
39 RB Juan Day
49 DL Armon Watts
60 OL Brian Wallace
95 DL Jake Hall
All sorts of fail here. NCAA doesn't really allow phantom shirts anymore.

Mike Irwin

Bielema is looking for a couple of key things in the players he's bringing in and players he inherited. They need to be physical on the field and display good character on and off the field.

He will go the extra mile in developing the football skills of players who possess those characteristics.

Keon Hatcher is a good example. Last season he had route running and ball catching issues. But they stuck with him because he's built like a running back and runs like one after the catch. He also comes from a rock solid family.

In JoJo's case they like all of his receiving skills but he needs to be more physical.  A year in the weight room should take care of that plus they want to grow him up some before he puts on a uniform in a game (reference the poor decision he made last summer in getting into a car with the wrong people).

Bielema is developing the skills of football players with character. He actually IS in the people heppin' business.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: ricepig on September 17, 2014, 11:17:05 am
On the SEC Media call:  Arkansas coach Bret Bielema on freshman WR JoJo Robinson "It's probably in his best interest to have a redshirt year."

Good decision, we'll need his skill set more next year after a season in the system and weight room.