Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nike vs. Adidas

Started by mizzouman, September 17, 2014, 10:28:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Not sure how this impacts Razorback recruiting, but I didn't realize this stuff is happening although it really shouldn't surprise me.

Apparently, high profile kids coming out of high school, are narrowing their schools based on whether that school has a contract with a particular shoe company.

There was been incidences in the past few years where Nike would not contract with a pro player because he went to an Adidas school.  I haven't heard of Adidas not signing kids who went to Nike schools, but I'm sure some of that is happening.

Anyway, the shady world of recruiting is getting worse.

Huds_HawgTide

Manziel signed a nike deal after being in adidas...we were adidas when dmac signed a nike deal
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

CallThemHawgs!

This has been happening for a while.

Kids like the Nike stuff, if I am honest, I like the Adidas stuff more.

The Adidas jerseys look better, IMO, and I love their new socks. Nike Elites suck.

WriterWrong

Oregon is the program that they are right now because of Nike. To think anything less is being extremely naive.

Culturally, Nike is a big deal around the world. So, young kids like being pampered by the worlds leading sporting retailer.

You see guys like Eric Berry sign with adidas because he had built a relationship with them while at UT.

But, make no mistake, all things being equal, the vast majority would rather be wearing the swoosh than anything else. But, it's a business and gotta go where the money is.

I think our move to Nike years back and now being GIG'd by them is huge for our program. If Nike wants to make you a big deal, you're doing something right. And it will draw recruits.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 17, 2014, 10:42:43 am
Kids like the Nike stuff, if I am honest, I like the Adidas stuff more.

The Adidas jerseys look better, IMO, and I love their new socks. Nike Elites suck.

And this too.

But I don't care what we wear, as long as we win. 

LRrazorback

Writer, what does GIG mean?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: redeye on September 17, 2014, 12:00:06 pm
And this too.

But I don't care what we wear, as long as we win.

Faded Glory? Keep it local.

WriterWrong

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 17, 2014, 12:09:15 pm
Writer, what does GIG mean?
GIG stands for Graphic Identity Group.

Nike has a handful of schools that they work with very closely to kind of showcase their brand and revamp the schools image. That had a lot to do with the new branding we went through this summer. When Nike GIG's a school, the two entities basically work hand in hand to find the best possible way to promote the identity of the school, as well as Nike's product line.

When Bielema first came on here at UA, he said Nike offered to GIG us, but he turned it down. A season later, we were on board as one of Nike's GIG'd teams. Oregon is obviously the staple of Nike, but other schools like Oregon State, texas, Arizona State and Georgia have been GIG'd.

I think it's a great way to show recruits, "This is how good of a relationship we have with Nike. We worked with them to solidify our image and identity."

Whether it's dumb or not, recruits make a big deal out of the school's endorsement deals. Nike is the top dog, so, even if only a little bit, it helps the program.

Hog_Fink

kids are sneaker heads.... kids like jordan and nike

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WriterWrong on September 17, 2014, 11:27:01 am
Oregon is the program that they are right now because of Nike. To think anything less is being extremely naive.

Culturally, Nike is a big deal around the world. So, young kids like being pampered by the worlds leading sporting retailer.

You see guys like Eric Berry sign with adidas because he had built a relationship with them while at UT.

But, make no mistake, all things being equal, the vast majority would rather be wearing the swoosh than anything else. But, it's a business and gotta go where the money is.

I think our move to Nike years back and now being GIG'd by them is huge for our program. If Nike wants to make you a big deal, you're doing something right. And it will draw recruits.

You're right. Recruiting and coaching didn't have anything to do with it.
This is my non-signature signature.

LRrazorback

Writer, thanks for the explanation.  I agree, it's a great thing for recruiting.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 17, 2014, 03:56:54 pm
You're right. Recruiting and coaching didn't have anything to do with it.
True but I doubt they would be anywhere close to where they are without all the "perks" Nike allows them
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

redeye

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 17, 2014, 12:15:53 pm
Faded Glory? Keep it local.

Couldn't be any worse then those APEX uniforms in '94-95.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: redeye on September 17, 2014, 06:56:36 pm
Couldn't be any worse then those APEX uniforms in '94-95.

hehe did you hear the coach talking about those unis?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on September 17, 2014, 10:37:42 am
Manziel signed a nike deal after being in adidas...we were adidas when dmac signed a nike deal

[/thread]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 17, 2014, 07:11:26 pm

these would be such a cool throwback

Huckleberry Pig

Under Armor has stepped their game up recently.  They did a helluva job on the Navy uniform.  There was another UA jersey I saw recently that I really liked.  It wasn't Maryland's. 

passinghog

1highhog

There are far better brands of shoes than Nikes or Adidas, but kids don't care about the comfort of the shoe as much as they do the brand name, same as with any clothes brand.  I have to wear special tennis shoes because of having Plantar Fasciitis in both feet, in my left foot the tendon actually tore completely in half, resulting in surgery.  This was caused by the work I've done over the years, but also by wearing shoes with weak arch supports, I've always wore Nikes.  When the orthopedic surgeon showed me the difference in different shoe brands, I went with not a big name brand but one that had the best support.

yraciv

Quote from: 1highhog on September 17, 2014, 11:44:35 pm
There are far better brands of shoes than Nikes or Adidas, but kids don't care about the comfort of the shoe as much as they do the brand name, same as with any clothes brand.  I have to wear special tennis shoes because of having Plantar Fasciitis in both feet, in my left foot the tendon actually tore completely in half, resulting in surgery.  This was caused by the work I've done over the years, but also by wearing shoes with weak arch supports, I've always wore Nikes.  When the orthopedic surgeon showed me the difference in different shoe brands, I went with not a big name brand but one that had the best support.

But you instantly lost cool points going with a non name brand.

redeye

Quote from: yraciv on September 17, 2014, 11:50:31 pm

I thought that meant more cool points for originality?!?  #BeUncommon

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 17, 2014, 07:11:26 pm

No, was it Danny Ford?

Quote from: galactivation on September 17, 2014, 09:48:12 pm
these would be such a cool throwback

IIRC, we only wore them for one year, so please NO!

1highhog

Quote from: yraciv on September 17, 2014, 11:50:31 pm

Yes, but I no longer have chronic foot pain, except I no longer have full extension in my left foot, so I can't dunk on a regulation goal, I now have to lower it to 8'.

I know there were a few that gave Sanchez grief when he had this, but it's no joke.  I know he wasn't the most gifted baller we ever had, except in practice that boy could sure do some stuff, out there somewhere is him putting on a good clinic before he got injured.  I don' think he ever had surgery though.

yraciv

Quote from: 1highhog on September 19, 2014, 03:51:41 pm
Yes, but I no longer have chronic foot pain, except I no longer have full extension in my left foot, so I can't dunk on a regulation goal, I now have to lower it to 8'.

I know there were a few that gave Sanchez grief when he had this, but it's no joke.  I know he wasn't the most gifted baller we ever had, except in practice that boy could sure do some stuff, out there somewhere is him putting on a good clinic before he got injured.  I don' think he ever had surgery though.

I never had it, but my brother was a basketball player.  He didn't lose his hops quite as bad as you, but he was constantly getting it treated.  And it did send his once promising high school basketball career down hill.  That's why I always gave Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, I saw the potential pre-injuries.

secfan30

Nike always hurt my feet, Too narrow. I prefer Reebok, but Nike has street cred with the kids.

Sed76

I am sure the kids all prefer Nike but as a fan I preferred Reebok or Adidas. Stuff wasn't expensive and could find it at more stores.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: galactivation on September 17, 2014, 03:21:56 pm
kids are sneaker heads.... kids like jordan and nike

Kids today don't know Jordan as a player. They know about Lebron.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi