Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville's sister site, GridironHistory.com, launches a CFB Pick'Ems site! Need YOUR help!

Started by Doug, September 17, 2014, 10:13:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in the process of beta testing a brand new and different style of Pick'Ems centered around Collegiate Football.

NOTE: This will NOT replace Hogville.net's Pick'Ems - you should continue to participate in the weekly HV Pick'Ems regardless of whether you participate in the GH Pick'Ems (called GH.PP for short) or not.

http://p.gridironhistory.com/

Follow the instructions on the home page. If you run into any bugs or errors, please do report them here. If you have any questions, please post them here. Try to break the system, please. If you can break it, please detail the steps you did (and what browser) so that I can see if I can replicate the issue and fix it.

Pick'Ems will close at 5 PM Central time on Thursday this week.

The weekly picks randomly choose 17 games from the GridironHistory.com database from the following conferences:
All FBS conferences and independents
Big South
CAA
Southland
Southern

From start fo finish, each week's Pick'Ems should take literally less than 3 minutes to complete.

A few questions I'll answer right away:

Why do we only allow Twitter logins? Why not Facebook, manual registrations, etc?
-- Simply put: Twitter respects privacy laws and the privacy of your account. In addition to that, they do not allow Twitter handles with non-standard characters (Numbers, letters and underscores are allowed. Anything beyond that isn't.). For how the Pick'Ems are handled, administratively, it's the perfect login/registration system to integrate with the GH.PP system.

How much does this cost?
-- It's the same price as your membership on here. :D

Will there be any prizes given away?
-- Prizes being given away are dependent on Sponsors (weekly and overall). Sponsors are dependent on people participating weekly. Once we're out of Beta testing and go full throttle with GH.PP, we'll start working on lining up some sponsors. The amount of prizes (physical goods, electronic goods and cash) are dependent on how many people we can get participating. So... join up (I did mention it's free, right?) and participate. Tell your friends, too!

There's still some additional work going in, HOWEVER, the Pick'Em system itself should be all situated now. Aside from bug fixes and improvements (based on your feedback), nothing should change with how the GH.PP is handled. Thank goodness I've got several years of experience working with Eddie Goodson (FF and HV) and WilsonHog (HV) to pull together the better aspects of both site's Pick'Ems features.

If the beta testing is successful, both FF and HV's Pick'Ems will be slightly revamped for next year in order to make Eddie's and Wilson's administrative tasks MUCH easier to work with.

Think you have what it takes to compete against GridironHistory's Picks and my Picks? Come join us and we'll see just how well you do. :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Birminghog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 17, 2014, 12:47:44 pm
Cool but I don't Twitter.

Me either, but Doug, you're looking for bugs & people to break the system, which I don't know how to do, anyway.

Good luck!

Doug

Not just to find bugs and break the system, but provide feedback on improvements and better functionality. :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Doug

Week 5 is now open. Got lots of feedback and fixed a few minor bugs. Added a few new features to make it even easier to find the info you're looking for.

If you've got a twitter account, it takes less than 3 minutes to do the Pick'Ems (from Registration / Sign In to filling out this week's PickEms). Get off yer duff and join us!
--Doug

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Doug

When everything opens again, you can try it on the iPad (usually opens Sunday AM). I'll be testing on mine this next week.
--Doug

BPsTheMan