Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's Offense SEC Ready?

Started by Chief Mac, September 17, 2014, 07:50:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Mac

Article from BR.  Very balanced look at what the team has been able to do but also noting that the next few weeks will tell more about this team

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2197736-bret-bielemas-arkansas-offense-finally-ready-for-sec-play

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

three hog night

We have to be able to prove we can pass when we have to against REAL defenses in the SEC.  Bama, UGA, LSU, Misstake and Ole Miss are going to load up against the run until we prove we can burn them with the pass.    The SEC teams have the defensive lines that can force us into 3rd and LONG.  Will we run on other SEC defenses like we did Auburn?  Which half of running against AU do you think is real?  I think the real run game is somewhere in the middle of what we saw at AU.   What happens if we get down 3 scores at A&M and HAVE TO PASS a lot to catch up?

We need to work on the passing game now to get comfortable with the new WR's and get Hatcher and Wilson more reps.  The WRs need to be comfortable before we go up against press coverage at Bama and UGA; because that will be another impact we have to prepare for.   Hollister and Edwards will have to use their size to get physical, but they need reps to get comfortable first.   Other teams need to see film of a legitimate threat from the pass game to back away from loading the box too much.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

fakebobholt

Quote from: three hog night on September 17, 2014, 08:07:27 am
We have to be able to prove we can pass when we have to against REAL defenses in the SEC.  Bama, UGA, LSU, Misstake and Ole Miss are going to load up against the run until we prove we can burn them with the pass.    The SEC teams have the defensive lines that can force us into 3rd and LONG.  Will we run on other SEC defenses like we did Auburn?  Which half of running against AU do you think is real?  I think the real run game is somewhere in the middle of what we saw at AU.   What happens if we get down 3 scores at A&M and HAVE TO PASS a lot to catch up?

We need to work on the passing game now to get comfortable with the new WR's and get Hatcher and Wilson more reps.  The WRs need to be comfortable before we go up against press coverage at Bama and UGA; because that will be another impact we have to prepare for.   Hollister and Edwards will have to use their size to get physical, but they need reps to get comfortable first.   Other teams need to see film of a legitimate threat from the pass game to back away from loading the box too much.

this. Maybe the best post on hogville explaining our situation.

three hog night

A quote from the article, "In today's world, you're either a contender in your conference or your not. Arkansas still falls into the latter category, but with a strong rushing game and a real identity for the first time in several years, the Razorbacks will likely play a major role in the SEC race, even if they aren't in the hunt themselves.

That's all due to an offense that is much improved from 2013. The scary part? If this is Bielema's program in year two, how good will things be in year three or four?"
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

HeismanHawg

Until we are FORCED to throw the ball we don't need to. That's what practice is for. The time for passing is coming (probably this weekend).

Mulberry Squeezins

Some good points but I guess it depends on what you mean by "work on the passing game now"?  I see it as sort of a enigma in that a lot of being effective throwing the ball is confidence.  And to gain confidence you need to have success, not just repetitions. 

hawgsalot

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 17, 2014, 09:01:41 am
Some good points but I guess it depends on what you mean by "work on the passing game now"?  I see it as sort of a enigma in that a lot of being effective throwing the ball is confidence.  And to gain confidence you need to have success, not just repetitions.

I agree, we need to pass in live games but we didn't need to this past weekend.  We were dominating them and no sense in letting up and chancing punting on the road.  My biggest concern is not BA it's can the receivers get open and can the catch the deeper passes.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: hawgsalot on September 17, 2014, 09:05:49 am
I agree, we need to pass in live games but we didn't need to this past weekend.  We were dominating them and no sense in letting up and chancing punting on the road.  My biggest concern is not BA it's can the receivers get open and can the catch the deeper passes.

Receivers are getting open, it's now a matter of can they haul some passes in, especially the ones that aren't perfect.  Just my gut, but I think the passing game is a powder keg waiting to explode.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 17, 2014, 09:17:10 am
Receivers are getting open, it's now a matter of can they haul some passes in, especially the ones that aren't perfect.  Just my gut, but I think the passing game is a powder keg waiting to explode.
I think you might be correct
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigdaddyhawg

Do you think running more passing calls against NIU is going to help our WR's feel more comfortable when they go against Bama?  Not.

This view of things shows a lack of understanding of so many things it's hard to list them all.

Preparation is done in practice.  Players either make plays in games or they don't.

Do you think Keon Hatcher is going to line up against Bama and think "Wow, I sure wish I'd have caught a couple more passes against Nichols State or NIU, then I'd really be ready for this pass!"?

Not ever.  He will either have the confidence of his preparation and his talent and of that of the players around him, or he won't.  He will either stand up and compete as a man, or he won't.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 17, 2014, 09:50:46 am
Do you think running more passing calls against NIU is going to help our WR's feel more comfortable when they go against Bama?  Not.

This view of things shows a lack of understanding of so many things it's hard to list them all.

Preparation is done in practice.  Players either make plays in games or they don't.

Do you think Keon Hatcher is going to line up against Bama and think "Wow, I sure wish I'd have caught a couple more passes against Nichols State or NIU, then I'd really be ready for this pass!"?

Not ever.  He will either have the confidence of his preparation and his talent and of that of the players around him, or he won't.  He will either stand up and compete as a man, or he won't.

Spot on

DeltaBoy

The WR need some positive reps this weekend.  The dink and dunk 6-12 yards one will move the chains along.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.