Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My NIU Preview for Arkansas Fight

Started by Fayettechill14, September 16, 2014, 04:16:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/9/16/6237093/arkansas-northern-illinois-preview-not-your-typical-mid-major-razorbacks-huskies

Breakdown of their offensive and defensive roster - similar to what I did for Texas Tech last week - plus some fun advanced stats.

younghog

GO HOGS

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

GolfnHog

good information, thanks Fayettechill14!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

thefisher

Thanks Chille.  Interesting and thoughtful stuff, as always. +1
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Bacon_Bitz

I love advanced stats when they're actually useful.  Great write up.  Makes me feel a lot, lot better about the match up.  Would be great to see some X and O's on how NIU has been hitting the deep balls.

MuskogeeHogFan

Good analysis, great job. Money Ball is one of my favorites as well, for the same reasons.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

CallThemHawgs!

Catching some flack over on the NIU board.

"Im used to seeing better articles than that on SBnation"

Haha

NIU007

A few corrections:

Hare wasn't injured, it was QB McIntosh who started the Northwestern game and who was overthrowing guys by 5 yards in the first half, that was injured - maybe that's why he was inaccurate, IDK. But then Maddie came in and drove them down the field but after a dropped pass we settled for a chip shot FG which was missed. But Maddie did well. Hare came in after that.

The O-line averages 300 lbs, and none of them are listed at less than 297 lbs.

Jamaal Bass is pretty good, but he hasn't played yet this year. I think he's supposed to play this weekend. Our RB Akeem Daniels has been injured again, and limped off the field in the last game so he only got 1 carry. Not sure if he's playing, he'll probably make the attempt.

Presbyterian might be much better than Nicholls State, they just beat #12 Furman last weekend. Still stats against those 2 teams should probably be thrown out.

Arkansas might be much better than us but I'm not convinced by statistics based on 2 games against FBS and 1 game against far inferior FCS schools. Northwestern still has only played 2 games total. Also, this early in the year when new players are starting, lots of change takes place in the first 3-4 games of the year.

One question mark is the status of Tommy Lee Lewis, a small but quick and fast WR with injury problems. If he plays it will help NIU a lot.

sowmonella

Nice job Adam. A very good read. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Fayettechill14

Quote from: NIU007 on September 16, 2014, 06:43:03 pm
A few corrections:

Hare wasn't injured, it was QB McIntosh who started the Northwestern game and who was overthrowing guys by 5 yards in the first half, that was injured - maybe that's why he was inaccurate, IDK. But then Maddie came in and drove them down the field but after a dropped pass we settled for a chip shot FG which was missed. But Maddie did well. Hare came in after that.

The O-line averages 300 lbs, and none of them are listed at less than 297 lbs.

Jamaal Bass is pretty good, but he hasn't played yet this year. I think he's supposed to play this weekend. Our RB Akeem Daniels has been injured again, and limped off the field in the last game so he only got 1 carry. Not sure if he's playing, he'll probably make the attempt.

Presbyterian might be much better than Nicholls State, they just beat #12 Furman last weekend. Still stats against those 2 teams should probably be thrown out.

Arkansas might be much better than us but I'm not convinced by statistics based on 2 games against FBS and 1 game against far inferior FCS schools. Northwestern still has only played 2 games total. Also, this early in the year when new players are starting, lots of change takes place in the first 3-4 games of the year.

One question mark is the status of Tommy Lee Lewis, a small but quick and fast WR with injury problems. If he plays it will help NIU a lot.

Yeah I noticed after publication that I mixed the names of the two QBs. Either way, Hare appears to be the starter having played well against NU and UNLV.

I used SB Nation's preview of NIU since they usually don't have any kind of agenda. Listed every linemen in the 280-290 range. I could see it if some got bigger in the offseason. The schools' own listings tend to make out every player to be bigger, stronger and faster than they really are, so I generally avoid those in favor of third-party rosters.

I'm not surprised you aren't convinced Arkansas isn't much better, you're an NIU fan. Texas Tech fans ripped my article on their run defense, but that was before we bludgeoned them for 438 rushing yards. I do think that NIU is more of a challenge than Tech because they do a better job of stopping the run and are more versatile on offense.

rljjr

Solid job, Chill. Thanks. It was a helpful look.

SoCal Hog

Thanks for the insights and analysis. +1
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

DeltaBoy

Dang gum son you need to be writing for the Democrat or take Harry's place over at the Fort Smith paper.

Great write up.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

NIU007

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 16, 2014, 08:01:36 pm
Yeah I noticed after publication that I mixed the names of the two QBs. Either way, Hare appears to be the starter having played well against NU and UNLV.

I used SB Nation's preview of NIU since they usually don't have any kind of agenda. Listed every linemen in the 280-290 range. I could see it if some got bigger in the offseason. The schools' own listings tend to make out every player to be bigger, stronger and faster than they really are, so I generally avoid those in favor of third-party rosters.

I'm not surprised you aren't convinced Arkansas isn't much better, you're an NIU fan. Texas Tech fans ripped my article on their run defense, but that was before we bludgeoned them for 438 rushing yards. I do think that NIU is more of a challenge than Tech because they do a better job of stopping the run and are more versatile on offense.

Well, they're probably a lot better than NIU, I just don't think the stats are that meaningful this early in the year.

Biggus Piggus

On the Nicholls-Presbyterian comparison -- Arkansas could have named the score in that game. With second teamers, could have scored 100. The Hogs played everybody on the bench in the second half. I don't know how much/how early NIU pulled back against Presbyterian.
[CENSORED]!

Prestworthy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 16, 2014, 04:16:17 pm
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/9/16/6237093/arkansas-northern-illinois-preview-not-your-typical-mid-major-razorbacks-huskies

Breakdown of their offensive and defensive roster - similar to what I did for Texas Tech last week - plus some fun advanced stats.
Always enjoy reading your articles.  They get me ready for the game each week!  Keep up the hard work.

redeye

The way our OL continues to block down field, and sometimes into the secondary, will probably help with NIU's linebackers.  They may think twice if Skipper's coming at 'em.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Another nice article, thanks for posting the link here + 1

SpanHog

great job on the article, loved the stats.

Glad to see no one is daring to take NIU lightly, especially CBB.  Absolutely crucial to win TOP again and turnover battle.  Everything else will take care of itself.
proud graduate of the U of A 2013

SamBuckhart

Thank you for this preview. Good read. WPS!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

zane

RIP LSUfan

SemperFi

Nice job Fayettechill! Really appreciate all the work involved in putting those numbers together.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

three hog night

I loved the article.  I hope that if they stop the run, we can successfully work on our passing game.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 10:34:01 pm
On the Nicholls-Presbyterian comparison -- Arkansas could have named the score in that game. With second teamers, could have scored 100. The Hogs played everybody on the bench in the second half. I don't know how much/how early NIU pulled back against Presbyterian.

I watched the NIU Presbyterian game on ESPN3 and Presbyterian is considerably better on defense than Nicholls.

KCHOGFAN

trashcan maN

Good work, man. You going to tear into some X's and O's before the game?

three hog night

Hey Chill, Do you feel like their defense is going cause us to throw the ball more?   Did you see they bit on play action fakes?   I think play action is there for the taking in this game if they are stout against the run.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

NIU007

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 10:34:01 pm

It was 34-0 at halftime and we played everyone that wasn't injured or red-shirted. All 3 of our QBs played big minutes, with the 3rd-stringer playing most of the second half.

I will say, Arkansas' RB do look impressive. We don't have anyone like Collins. It would be easy to miss tackles against guys like that.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: NIU007 on September 17, 2014, 08:59:06 am
It was 34-0 at halftime and we played everyone that wasn't injured or red-shirted. All 3 of our QBs played big minutes, with the 3rd-stringer playing most of the second half.

I will say, Arkansas' RB do look impressive. We don't have anyone like Collins. It would be easy to miss tackles against guys like that.

Its not just Collins, you also have to REALLY worry about Williams. Bruiser likes to punish linebackers and safeties. Sometimes I think he looks for them just to lower his shoulder and blow one up from time to time.

Collins is improved at yards after contact this year.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

Our 3 headed Hydra is bad news for folks who don't like to tackle for 60 minutes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

FutureMan

Great write up Chill.  I love the incorporation of numbers to back up the legitimacy of your claims.  Makes me feel much better about the game Saturday.  Keep up the great work.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

DeltaBoy

Quote from: redeye on September 16, 2014, 10:50:58 pm
The way our OL continues to block down field, and sometimes into the secondary, will probably help with NIU's linebackers.  They may think twice if Skipper's coming at 'em.

Yep Skipper looks like an Enraged Grizzly out there.