Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 07:17:57 am

Winning out

Started by Arazorbackguy1, September 16, 2014, 12:16:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 16, 2014, 04:44:20 pm
I think we'll knock somebody out of contention this year.

So do I.  A win in a bowl game with this along the way would be a good season.  It's happened to every coach the Hogs have had at one time or another.....knock off a much better opponent - sometimes a contender.  This is a good year for BB to get his first.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 16, 2014, 07:32:16 pm
Speaking of conflicts of interest...doesn't anyone else wonder why a politician is on the committee?

I was thinking about this earlier...it's like they lined up a bunch of shady folks to decide who was going to get the nod when the computer polls can't figure out who to send, the folks who are willing to pay the most get the nod.

Think Cam Newton...

I wonder about that, and why Jeff Long is on there!
Let's make some waves.

If we should win out, Long would be hired away to a bigger, better gig as the greatest AD in college football history,  BB would be stolen away to rebuild his choice of yester year supreme teams that has fallen on hard times and Chaney and Smith would both become HCs at great locations.  The Hogs, well, we'd be talking to Smile to see if he would consider returning for a year until we could get Nutt back from his TV job.  Nutt being the nice Guy whose word is his bond wouldn't walk off the TV gig a year early to AD and HC the Hogs.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LZH on September 16, 2014, 07:34:02 pm
If I'm not mistaken, didn't they put in some provisions to prevent this from happening?
don't they just take the top 4 teams?

SEC has had 3 in the top 5 before
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DLUXHOG

It's been.... 50 years....   Anything is possible....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

LZH

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 16, 2014, 08:06:46 pm
don't they just take the top 4 teams?

SEC has had 3 in the top 5 before

Yeah I thought after I posted, it was talked about how the rest of the country would throw a supernatural fit when two (or three) SEC teams got in.  And the ESPN talking heads bounced all kinds of stuff around.  But I believe you're right.....nothing was ever done: best four in no matter what (at least for now).

jmb1973

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 16, 2014, 07:23:50 pm
I appreciate the respect you've shown adding me to your troll list!

Anytime! Stay classy!

Pigdiana Jones

The SEC champ should go straight into the national title game, IMO.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Ramtough

So we beat Nicholls who is the worst team I've ever seen us play in my 50 years on this earth. We beat Tech who is picked close to the bottom of their conference and now we may never lose again. Only on HV.

TMc

lefty08

Quote from: Ramtough on September 16, 2014, 09:13:03 pm
So we beat Nicholls who is the worst team I've ever seen us play in my 50 years on this earth. We beat Tech who is picked close to the bottom of their conference and now we may never lose again. Only on HV.

Are you really 50?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bolo

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 16, 2014, 03:54:20 pm
Absolutely love your spirit !!   I'm with you... it has been 50 years!
me too, go hogs
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

bolo

Quote from: Jamie Jones on September 16, 2014, 04:34:46 pm
The question is only dumb because everyone should know that the SEC Champion will NEVER be left out of the top 4.

Don't ever let the naysayers rain on your optimism. Until the games are played, no one knows what the outcome will be. They only have reasoning to go off of. And if Auburn had listened to reasoning last year, they'd have missed out on the second best year they've had in the last half century.

You'll always get hammered here for being a homer. But I'd rather read the positive thinking than the bitching and negative thinking, any time! WPS
wps
Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 16, 2014, 03:54:20 pm
Absolutely love your spirit !!   I'm with you... it has been 50 years!
me too, go hogs
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Let's make some waves.

ShadowTheHedgehog

:)

Love the optimism though WPS!

shotgun7

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 16, 2014, 12:16:05 pm
When we win out, do we make the playoffs?  Let's just say we figured out that no team in the country can stop our power run game and we demolish every team in our way.   Does the Auburn game keep us from getting in the playoffs?  Keep in mind that they lose at least twice in my dream scenario.

Discuss

Did you call in one one of the radio shows the other day?? Heard this exact question asked  ;D

To answer your question. If we win out, even if Auburn wins the SEC champion ship, we still get in no doubt cause all other sec E teams would, I think have 2 losses. There is no way we play the toughest schedule in the country, and only losing to the 13 seconds away from a natl championship last year team... and do not get in.

Disclaimer; I am not saying there is any chance of this happening just answering the op's question.  :razorback:

Mulberry Squeezins

in some of their early games last year Auburn looked like pure crap   We've shown marked improvement in every facet.  Probably won't happen but you guys acting like it's impossible might think you're displaying a high football IQ, but the fact of the matter is likely that most of you guy's negative opinions are based on last year's performance and / or what the so called experts have been saying.     

Mulberry Squeezins

The question is only dumb because everyone should know that the SEC Champion will NEVER be left out of the top 4.

Don't ever let the naysayers rain on your optimism. Until the games are played, no one knows what the outcome will be. They only have reasoning to go off of. And if Auburn had listened to reasoning last year, they'd have missed out on the second best year they've had in the last half century.

You'll always get hammered here for being a homer. But I'd rather read the positive thinking than the bitching and negative thinking, any time! WPS

Exactly.  Doesn't take much insight to be negative.  Check that.  In light of the obvious improvement this team has shown, the over the top negativity displayed in this thread is hardly insightful. 

LZH

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 17, 2014, 06:25:49 am
Exactly.  Doesn't take much insight to be negative. 

Oh of course it does, just check out all my posts over the past year or so.....and they were very insightful.

Pigstie

Did I see somewhere that we were the 4th dumbest fanbase? That may have just changed.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Ramtough on September 16, 2014, 09:13:03 pm

Only on HV can we find insight like this.  Not only is this team showing improvement over last season, we're showing great improvement.  Allen was 3 out of 4 converting third and mediums last Saturday, compare that to last season's stats. 

Our secondary broke up several passes last Saturday against a team who's DNA is the passing game.  Hell, teams like Tech put up record numbers against our D, the last two friken years. 

Our LB's are leading the team in tackling.  Not sure when I can remember the last time that happened.  Having LB's lead the team in tackles instead of the safeties, to steal a line from Joe Biden, is sort of a big friken deal. 

But keep tossing around those one liners because in contributes so much to the board. 

LZH

We can criticize and analyze our defense all day, and it is no secret that someone needs to.  But it won't be me...not for now anyway.  I'll just say excluding the game against Nicholls High School, that Saturday was the first game of the BB era that we put together 4 complete quarters.  We can't win in the SEC without a decent defense and a competent passing game, but we lost games last year simply because we couldn't finish - I call that progress.

Pigstie

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 17, 2014, 06:38:10 am
Only on HV can we find insight like this.  Not only is this team showing improvement over last season, we're showing great improvement.  Allen was 3 out of 4 converting third and mediums last Saturday, compare that to last season's stats. 

Our secondary broke up several passes last Saturday against a team who's DNA is the passing game.  Hell, teams like Tech put up record numbers against our D, the last two friken years. 

Our LB's are leading the team in tackling.  Not sure when I can remember the last time that happened.  Having LB's lead the team in tackles instead of the safeties, to steal a line from Joe Biden, is sort of a big friken deal. 

But keep tossing around those one liners because in contributes so much to the board.
It actually contributes more than equating your stats to us winning out.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Großer Kriegschwein

Franklin or Olajabutu I would imagine (without looking it up)

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 17, 2014, 06:38:10 am

This is my non-signature signature.

Mulberry Squeezins

September 17, 2014, 06:55:00 am #74 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:17:54 am by Mulberry Squeezins
Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2014, 06:46:06 am
We can criticize and analyze our defense all day, and it is no secret that someone needs to.  But it won't be me...not for now anyway.  I'll just say excluding the game against Nicholls High School, that Saturday was the first game of the BB era that we put together 4 complete quarters.  We can't win in the SEC without a decent defense and a competent passing game, but we lost games last year simply because we couldn't finish - I call that progress.

Progress?  Absolutely.  The only thing the first three games have proven is this team has made some pretty big strides.  Does this equate to winning big in the SEC.  Nope.  But here's the thing.  I could understand the smarmy one liners if we were having our manhood handed to us like what happened last year in NJ.  With the way this team has played thus far, there's at least some hope that something like running the table is possible.

I'd say at this stage, it's as much a matter of confidence as anything.  If BA starts throwing some of those deep balls with confidence, and starts connecting on a few, just imagine the effect that will have on the running game. 

If our LB's and DB's start anticipating getting their hands on some balls, and come away with some picks, imagine what effect that will have?  Hell, the last few years the opposing teams could pass the ball against the hogs with virtually zero fear of anything bad happening. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Pigstie on September 17, 2014, 06:49:41 am
It actually contributes more than equating your stats to us winning out.

The difference between us is I'm not afraid to be optimistic.  I stated it probably wouldn't happen, but that stats I've been espousing translates into hope that it could happen.  You can't see into the future, but acting like you can must be a sort  of defense mechanism for people who can't handle disappointment. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 17, 2014, 06:54:41 am
Franklin or Olajabutu I would imagine (without looking it up)

I think Franklin did.   But it's clear the dynamics of the D is changing in that we are seeing a transition toward the LB's having a major impact, in both run and pass defense.  You have to be blind not to see it. 

lefty08

Quote from: Pigstie on September 17, 2014, 06:34:27 am
Did I see somewhere that we were the 4th dumbest fanbase? That may have just changed.

We could quickly move to 5th if u would go away
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LZH

Quote from: lefty08 on September 17, 2014, 07:14:37 am
We could quickly move to 5th if u would go away

We would be out of the top ten if I would just post more, but everyone knows how busy I am.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2014, 07:16:42 am
We would be out of the top ten if I would just post more, but everyone knows how busy I am.
Don't be obtuse.   >:(

PorkRinds

Quote from: BRHogfan on September 16, 2014, 12:31:47 pm
No, Jeff Long being in charge of the committee means we can't be put into the playoffs due to a potential conflict of interest.  I think when he signed up for the gig he didn't realize we would be this good.

That's not true at all.  HE just has to recuse himself on the voting if we are involved, just like every other AD.

TexArkHogFan

Recusal Policy:  Committee members will be recused from participating in votes involving a school's team if they or an immediate family member receives compensation from the school or has a professional relationship with that school.  The committee will have the option to add other recusals if special circumstances arise. A recused member shall not participate in any votes nor be present during deliberations involving the team's selection or seeding, but may answer factual questions about the institution from which the member is recused.  The recusal policy is virtually identical to the NCAA men's basketball selection committee policy. 

Full text of guidelines here:

http://www.hogdb.com/2014/04/30/college-football-playoff-selection-process/
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 16, 2014, 12:16:05 pm
When we win out, do we make the playoffs?  Let's just say we figured out that no team in the country can stop our power run game and we demolish every team in our way.   Does the Auburn game keep us from getting in the playoffs?  Keep in mind that they lose at least twice in my dream scenario.

Discuss

I did post after the Nicholls game that Arkansas would never lose again in recorded history. So I guess I'm stuck with that.
[CENSORED]!

Hogfan1660

I just want to win the next game we play... etc!!!!!!

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 17, 2014, 01:33:03 pm
I did post after the Nicholls game that Arkansas would never lose again in recorded history. So I guess I'm stuck with that.

Maybe they won't write it down.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Let's make some waves.

aar0n

Well put, I like this post and agree.  I don't care how far off it is, why cut a man's dreams down and act like they're stupid?  It's called a dream for a reason, like the one where you and Kate Upton ride a tilt-a-whirl with that guy you haven't seen since 2nd grade at Booger Hollow town fair.   

TOM "tbw1"

I just spoke with Senator John Blutarsky and he thinks Arkansas would be a lock under those circumstances.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?