Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas WILL throw the ball

Started by MB Hog, September 16, 2014, 11:33:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MB Hog

So now we have a handful of vocal fans who are upset basically because we are too good at running the ball?

Fear not, unbelievers!  Arkansas will throw the ball and they will throw it well.  We've already seen that CBB is going to do things his way and will not cave to the pressure from armchair QBs who think they understand the game better than he does.

One big difference between CBB and CBP is that CBP was known for coming in with basically the same game plan each week and challenging other teams to figure out how to stop that specific game plan.  He was very successful with this plan because his players worked on the same thing week in and week out perfecting their timing, mastering complex route-running, and taking advantage of defensive weaknesses.

However, when we went against a team (Alabama, LSU) that had enough skill, speed, and physicality to keep up with our offense and challenge our defense, all we could do was hope we could stay on pace with them and outscore them in a high-scoring contest.

When we played Texas Tech on Saturday, we were in role reversal with our former selves.  TTs best chance to beat us was to try to keep pace with us and outscore us in a high-scoring contest.  But with UA running the ball in chunks of 7 or 8 yards per carry and TT showing no signs of being able to stop that, there was no way TT was going to beat us unless we started putting the ball in the air and speeding up the game... so why play into their strength and give them more opportunities with the ball?

Long story short (too late, I know) - Texas Tech has a strong offense and a weak defense, so we ran the ball almost every time to keep the ball away from their strength and, frankly, because we could.  When we start playing teams who have defenses strong enough to stop the run when we don't mix in the pass, we will mix in the pass as much as needed.  And when you start adding players like KJ Hill, O'Grady, JoJo, Storey, etc., we will be as strong of a threat through the air as on the ground.

CBB and his assistants will come up with the best game plan for each game to give us the best chance to win.  Against Tech, that plan was to run, run, run and it worked to perfection.

MB Hog

ZERO

No one's upset because we're too good at running the ball. They're worried because we don't appear to be good enough at passing it. Bielema's made some comments to suggest otherwise, but we'll see.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Großer Kriegschwein

I can almost guarantee that we will pass the ball no more than 40% of the time. Nothing in life is ever certain.

We may not run for 438 in this game, but we may very well run for 300 and pass for nearly 200.

There is a talent disparity on some parts of the field more than others I suppose, but ultimately we'll win. If we're up at halftime, the game is probably ours to lose.
This is my non-signature signature.

LJHOG

I don't care if we run the same play every time, if they can't stop it.  We don't have to throw another pass the rest of the season far as I'm concerned.  Just win.

sshawg

If I remember correctly, Texas Tech had the ball one ( 1) time in the third quarter. Thats because we ran the ball & keep the clock moving. That's impressive against anyone

KennyForAD

Quote from: ZERO on September 16, 2014, 11:35:13 am
No one's upset because we're too good at running the ball. They're worried because we don't appear to be good enough at passing it. Bielema's made some comments to suggest otherwise, but we'll see.

Based on what ... the second half against Auburn?   The other two games were just Football 101 - If the other team can't stop the run, then you keep running it.   I haven't seen anything that suggests that we can't throw the ball.  I guess we'll see...

hogsanity

Quote from: MB Hog on September 16, 2014, 11:33:08 am
So now we have a handful of vocal fans who are upset basically because we are too good at running the ball?

Heard the same garbage when Hatfield was here, Ford, and HDN.  In the end Ford was cut lose 1 yr too soon, to reap the rewards of his recruiting, and the problems with HDN's teams was usually DEFENSE, the offense scored plenty of points most of the time.

The best thing to remember is that, at least when it comes to coaching a d1 football team, BB is much smarter than anyone, myself included, on this board.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: sshawg on September 16, 2014, 11:53:13 am
If I remember correctly, Texas Tech had the ball one ( 1) time in the third quarter. Thats because we ran the ball & keep the clock moving. That's impressive against anyone

TT only had it for 6 mins the entire 2nd half. I've been watching football for 40 years and I am not sure I have ever seen a TOP so lopsided.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogScoutMaster

I remember 2010 I think when we were bitching because we threw the ball to much.  BUT honestly though we need to have a ground and air game.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

MB Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 12:10:53 pm
Heard the same garbage when Hatfield was here, Ford, and HDN.  In the end Ford was cut lose 1 yr too soon, to reap the rewards of his recruiting, and the problems with HDN's teams was usually DEFENSE, the offense scored plenty of points most of the time.

The best thing to remember is that, at least when it comes to coaching a d1 football team, BB is much smarter than anyone, myself included, on this board.   

The difference here seems to be that CBB is running the ball for the right reasons... not because we can't throw it.  The jury is still out on how effective our passing game will be this year, but I don't think the coaching staff will bury their heads in the sand and refuse to work on the passing game like some previous staffs did.

As for future plans for the passing game, they must have made a pretty good case with KJ Hill when they told him how they plan to use him when he gets here.

hogsanity

Quote from: MB Hog on September 16, 2014, 12:17:04 pm
The difference here seems to be that CBB is running the ball for the right reasons... not because we can't throw it.  The jury is still out on how effective our passing game will be this year, but I don't think the coaching staff will bury their heads in the sand and refuse to work on the passing game like some previous staffs did.

As for future plans for the passing game, they must have made a pretty good case with KJ Hill when they told him how they plan to use him when he gets here.

If you are a big physical wide out, or you have blazing speed ( or if incredibly God blessed you with both ), why wouldn't you want to play for an offense where you know 90% of the time you are likely to face man to man coverage because the defense has to stack the box to stop the run. Imagine Jojo one one side, KJ on the other, with a TE like HH running the seam. Yea, go ahead and put 8 in the box and make a safety try to cover one of the WR's or a LB cover HH.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ZERO on September 16, 2014, 11:35:13 am
I am seeing a qb that hits most of the throws he needs to and is barely off on others and rarely puts the ball in a position the defender has a play on it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 16, 2014, 12:21:57 pm
I am seeing a qb that hits most of the throws he needs to and is barely off on others and rarely puts the ball in a position the defender has a play on it.

Best sign I have seen in a while was the slant BA hit on the 1st drive.