Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does Northern Illinois's winning history tell us?

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 16, 2014, 11:27:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Northern Illinois wins and losses, 2011 to date: 38-7
Record against opponents that finished bowl-eligible: 14-4
All else: 22-3 (excluding two wins this season)

Road record: 17-2
Home/semi-home record: 18-2 (4-0 against FCS teams)
MAC title games: 2-1
Bowl games: 1-2

Wins by 21+ points: 16 - average record of opponents: 4-8
Losses by 20+ points: 3 - Bowling Green (2013), Florida State in Orange Bowl (2012), Wisconsin in Chicago (2011)

Losses to sub-.500 opponents: Iowa, 2012 (3-8 in other games), At Kansas, 2011 (1-10 in other games), At Central Michigan, 2011 (2-9 in other games)

Results against power five teams (with records in other games):

-42 Wisconsin (10-3)-Played in Chicago
-21 Florida State (11-2)-Bowl
-3 At Kansas (1-10)
-1 Iowa (3-8)
+3 At Iowa (8-4)
+7 Kansas (1-10)
+8 Northwestern (0-2 so far)
+31 At Purdue (1-10)

Road game margins of victory/defeat, ranked by opponents' final winning percentages:

12   At Ball St., 0.692
3   At Toledo, 0.692
3   At Iowa, 0.615
18   At Toledo, 0.583
21   At CMU, 0.500
31   At Bowling Green, 0.417
14   At Kent, 0.333
14   At WMU, 0.333
1   At Buffalo, 0.250
-7   At CMU, 0.250
1   At Army, 0.167
42   At EMU, 0.167
-3   At Kansas, 0.167
30   At Akron, 0.083
10   At Idaho, 0.083
31   At Purdue, 0.083
44   At UMass, 0.083

Only five of those road games were against opponents that finished at .500 or better. All but one of those were conference games.

Most impressive victories:

Beat 11-2 Kent State by 7 in a MAC title game
Beat 10-2 Arkansas State by 18 in a bowl game
Beat 10-2 Ball State by 21
Beat 9-3 Ball State by 12 on the road
Beat 8-4 Iowa by 3 on the road

This season, NIU has beaten Northwestern by 8 and UNLV by 14, both on the road. NU was predicted to finish around .500. UNLV was expected to have another losing season.

Just for comparison:

Number of games against power five opponents-NIU 8, Arkansas 30
Number of games against bowl-ineligible opponents + FBS-NIU 25, Arkansas 12
Number of road games against teams that finished bowl-eligible-NIU 5, Arkansas 10

NIU's level of road experience is impressive. They have that one win over a decent Iowa team a couple of years ago. They know how to handle really bad power five opponents. But they only play about six decent opponents per season, including postseason. And even that probably gives too much credit to >.500 schools in their conference.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

I can't get a good read on this game.  On one hand, I see their offense possibly giving us problems.  On the other hand, I think our defensive line can cause some problems for them that they haven't seen yet.  I think our offense will score a lot of points on their defense.

They've really only played several bad teams thus far.  We're not a bad team.

I really think we should cover the number again, but something is giving me pause.

In the end, I see it a similar final score to the TT game:  41-21 or so.

What do you think?

EastexHawg

The main thing it tells me is that they won't already be defeated before they take the field.  The fact that they have so much experience with winning will make them believe they can win this game, too.

hoghelmet14

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 17, 2014, 11:57:05 am
The main thing it tells me is that they won't already be defeated before they take the field.  The fact that they have so much experience with winning will make them believe they can win this game, too.

Spot On.... +1
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

The Hogfather

I like that it is our 1st "real" game at DWWRS and it is at night.  After what happened at TT, I think there will be a decent crowd there, even though it is "only" NI.

hogsanity

For NIU, outside of the Orange Bowl against FSU, Arkansas is the biggest shot they have had to make a name for themselves.  SEC team, coming off a pretty good show that has a lot of people talking about them, and a shot to take them down, at home.  Being on the road is nothing new to them.

However, imo, they have built their name beating up son some pretty bad MAC teams. When you win 10+ for 3 or 4 consecutive seasons, you get a rep for being great, even if you are beating 10 also rans ( think Boise ). They have not done much against the "big boys" and I think that still speaks to the talent gulf between the MAC and the SEC.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

September 17, 2014, 12:16:50 pm #6 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:31:24 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: hogsanity on September 17, 2014, 12:08:54 pm
However, imo, they have built their name beating up son some pretty bad MAC teams. When you win 10+ for 3 or 4 consecutive seasons, you get a rep for being great, even if you are beating 10 also rans ( think Boise ). They have not done much against the "big boys" and I think that still speaks to the talent gulf between the MAC and the SEC.

They've also, for the most part, benefited from choosing or lucking into some pretty terrible Big 5 teams, when they have to "step up" in competition.  I think Arkansas is a different type of "step up".

I think last year was a little bit different because of Lynch.

Tomhog™

I'm curious to see how Arkansas responds to a punch in the face from NIU.  The Hogs have gotten so used to coming up on the short end over the previous two seasons, do they have a new mindset or the "here we go again" mentality? NIU is so used to winning on the road, that they almost expect to come out with a W.

I see a tightly fought contest coming up that could go either way.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 17, 2014, 12:16:50 pm
They've also, for the most part, benefited from choosing or lucking into some pretty terrible Big 5 teams, when they have to "step up" in competition.  I don't think Arkansas is a different type of "step up".

Just like Boise. Every time they played a big 5 team, that team was always in a down year.

Lynch was a very good player.  I can't imagine their current Qb is as good as he was. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

It tells me Rivals' recruiting rankings are not terribly accurate in the 79 to 110 range, which is where NIU fell from 2010 to 2013. 

Does anyone remember that it took a fourth quarter NIU fumble followed by a 1-yard TD run by Barry Lunney for the Hogs to squeak by NIU 30-27 in Fayetteville in 1994?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DLUXHOG

Boo hoo....  So sad that y'all don't see that this years Hogs team doesn't play "down" to their opponent as in previous years....   Hogs will win, very convincingly...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2014, 12:26:13 pm
It tells me Rivals' recruiting rankings are not terribly accurate in the 79 to 110 range, which is where NIU fell from 2010 to 2013. 

Does anyone remember that it took a fourth quarter NIU fumble followed by a 1-yard TD run by Barry Lunney for the Hogs to squeak by NIU 30-27 in Fayetteville in 1994?

It took a last minute 50+ yard td pass for Nebraska to beat FCS McNEese St, IN LINCOLN, this year. 

Look, this is not a typical rent a win from the MAC, NIU is not coming here just to pick up a check, BUT as the numbers Biggus took the time to put together show, NIU may be a bit more myth than reality.

cbhawg03

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 17, 2014, 11:43:31 am
I can't get a good read on this game.  On one hand, I see their offense possibly giving us problems.  On the other hand, I think our defensive line can cause some problems for them that they haven't seen yet.  I think our offense will score a lot of points on their defense.

I really think we should cover the number again, but something is giving me pause.

What do you think?

I am in the same boat as far as getting a read on this game. UNI only gets a few chances against teams like us, so they do everything to make the most of those chances.

I don't think that we will lose by any means, but think that it could be closer or we could gash them for several big plays in the 2nd half and open the score up like against TT.

rljjr

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 17, 2014, 12:25:31 pm
I'm curious to see how Arkansas responds to a punch in the face from NIU.  The Hogs have gotten so used to coming up on the short end over the previous two seasons, do they have a new mindset or the "here we go again" mentality? NIU is so used to winning on the road, that they almost expect to come out with a W.

Tom, I agree. However, I will say that I was impressed with our fight in the first half to AU down 21-7. We even played a plucky 3rd quarter until the pick 6, and then fell apart. I thought this team showed that same pluck right before the half against Tech after the fumble. We could have imploded and given up a TD before the half, but turned it around with the pick and TD. THAT gives me reason to believe these guys believe in each other.

I also like what CBB has said about supporting their brothers when things don't bounce right. I see the buy in. I see the improvement, even if it comes incrementally.

This is one more step toward becoming a complete team capable of competing at the highest levels of the SEC. WPS.

PorkRinds

What do you think?

I agree, and like someone else said I think it comes down to their experience in big games and experience in general.  They have the ability to win the game just as much as we do.  I think we win, but I really am not comfortable picking the score.  Could be close, could be about like TT.  I really can't get a handle on it.  That and I'm completely gunshy.

The NewEra

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 17, 2014, 12:29:56 pm
Boo hoo....  So sad that y'all don't see that this years Hogs team doesn't play "down" to their opponent as in previous years....   Hogs will win, very convincingly...

I also think we will win this game convincingly.  But, only if we show up ready to play from the opening kick and through all four quarters.  I think these Hogs will do just that, but if they do let up, even the slightest then it may be a close game.  NIU impresses me with their belief in themselves.  Confidence can make an average team good and their ability to win on the road is impressive.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 17, 2014, 12:29:56 pm

I wish I could buy into that at this point, but 3 games is not enough to prove it to me.  I'm still gun shy. 

DeltaBoy

They remind me of Boise and a little further back Fresno State!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: The NewEra on September 17, 2014, 12:42:22 pm
I also think we will win this game convincingly.  But, only if we show up ready to play from the opening kick and through all four quarters.  I think these Hogs will do just that, but if they do let up, even the slightest then it may be a close game.  NIU impresses me with their belief in themselves.  Confidence can make an average team good and their ability to win on the road is impressive.

Noted... But everyone can be at peace and sleep cause this years Hogs are not taking anyone for granted.   They respect NIU, but they also know that the Hogs are, by astronomical proportions, much better, more skilled, and more powerful than NIU.   IMHO it won't be close....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ifghog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 17, 2014, 12:44:02 pm
I wish I could buy into that at this point, but 3 games is not enough to prove it to me.  I'm still gun shy. 
I am with you on this. I want to believe so bad! A convincing win this week will help but...till I see us play A&M I am just gonna sit back and watch. If We are right there with A&M in Arlington...win or lose... I will be convinced.

Biggus Piggus

What do you think?

NIU beat Northwestern by 8 and UNLV by 14.

Funny that they played UNLV. Remember when Arkansas played four different QBs in the first half against UNLV in 2001? NIU had their own QB shuffle, not against UNLV but at Northwestern.

Matt McIntosh (junior) 4-9 passing for 35 yards, 4 carries for 17 yards.

Anthony Maddie (soph) 3-4 passing for 36 yards, 4 carries for 20 yards.

Drew Hare 6-10 passing for 109 yards and two TDs, 9 carries for 44 yards and one TD, and two sacks.

Hare (third-year sophomore from the St. Louis area) went the whole way the next week at UNLV. He passed 18-28 for 285 yards and three TDs, ran 14 times for 74 yards.

Inexperience was why NIU didn't start Hare in games 1-2. Maybe he'll have issues in front of a real crowd. If he does, McIntosh is hurt, leaving only Maddie in second.

The more I look at Northern Illinois, the more I think they are a better version of Texas Tech.

Among their all-conference, sometimes pro-caliber players:

LT Tyler Loos (6-5, 300 sr from in state)
WR Tommylee Lewis (5-7, 159 sr from south Florida) - injured, questionable
WR Da'Ron Brown (6-0, 196 sr from Chicago) - already has 19-357 4 TD
RB Cameron Stingily (6-1, 235 sr from in state) - getting back to speed after injury
TE Luke Eakes (6-3, 253 sr from rural Kansas)

OLB Jamaal Bass (5-10, 214 sr from south Florida) - injured, questionable
DE Jason Meehan (6-1, 252 sr from St. Louis)
S Dechane Durante (6-2, 193 sr from North Carolina)
S Marlon Moore (5-9, 192 jr from Mobile, Ala.)

NIU's offensive line is very experienced with four seniors and a junior. They can put big, strong backs or small, quick backs in there, all proven. Their receivers are experienced and very fast. The Huskies have every chance to score at least 28 points on the Hogs like Tech did. Their backs and receivers are probably better than Tech's were.

Arkansas will have to go against tendency and attack the secondary through the air. NIU is starting a true freshman cornerback, and the depth chart is very green. The defensive line also has been a scramble with all new starters.

That's where their problem lies. UNLV scored 13 points at Arizona, 13 again at home against Northern Colorado, but put up 34 on Northern Illinois. The Huskies held Northwestern to 15 points, but the latter was totally screwed up going into this year by the unionization crap followed by the losses of their top RB and WR.

Settled on a QB, NIU put up 48 on UNLV.

I don't believe Northern Illinois has enough on defense to win this football game. They could score enough to make it interesting though, if their quarterback is up to the challenge.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: ifghog on September 17, 2014, 12:52:45 pm
I am with you on this. I want to believe so bad! A convincing win this week will help but...till I see us play A&M I am just gonna sit back and watch. If We are right there with A&M in Arlington...win or lose... I will be convinced.

This is me. 

Pork Twain

Honestly their past does not tell me much about what we will see on Sat.  To me it is much like if we beat team "X", team "X" beats team "Y", then we should beat team"Y".  All too often that is not the case.  They have not faced us in Fayetteville or our line and rbs before.  Only thing close is Wisky and they steamrolled them, much like I believe we will.  Northwestern has not been a good team for a long time, since Gary Barnett was there?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 17, 2014, 01:32:46 pm
Honestly their past does not tell me much about what we will see on Sat.  To me it is much like if we beat team "X", team "X" beats team "Y", then we should beat team"Y".  All too often that is not the case.  They have not faced us in Fayetteville or our line and rbs before.  Only thing close is Wisky and they steamrolled them, much like I believe we will.  Northwestern has not been a good team for a long time, since Gary Barnett was there?

Uh ... wha?

NU went to bowl games from 2008-12. The Wildcats finished ranked 16th in 2012, 10-3.

They were favored to win the Big Ten last season, started 4-0, finished 1-7.

The downturn is rather recent.
[CENSORED]!

GolfnHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 17, 2014, 12:39:53 pm
That and I'm completely gunshy.

This sums it up for me. As with Tech, I'm not even about to predict a score. I'll attend the game w/ a knot in my stomach and hope the Tech results are what is seen.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HF#1

I can't see them having the ball very much.  Their D-Line is very young and inexperienced.  Our Offensive line should get similar push like they did vs Texas Tech. 

Bielema said we won't be able to win this week with just the running game but I'm not so sure about that.  We want to keep the ball.  13 play 7 minute drives are our friend. If they result in a TD of course.

I think Texas Tech gave us the confidence we need on both sides to dispatch of NIU with ease.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lumphog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 17, 2014, 11:57:05 am
I don't know bout that , "IF" they watch the TTU game film all week . . . :'(

Oklahawg

A problem not mentioned, or not a lot: depth. UA's ground pound game absolutely brings a defense to its knees. Deep SEC teams can sub in (witness Auburn) and not have a huge dropoff and it neutralizes the pounding if UA cannot sub in as well (on offense, again - witness Auburn).

Those smallish DEs for NIU could make outside contain exciting. Skipper may put a DE in orbit before the game is over if there isn't a substitute capable of playing 20% of the snaps.

Inside, the DTs are SEC-size. Might be SEC-strong, but that is pushing it I would bet. Even if good that size doesn't extend to the DEs. Curious if NIU schemes so the strongside LB (their best) moves around to make playcalling tougher for Chaney.

I'd love to see UA go over the top to get a lead and then ground pound for a while. Over the top again, then ground pound. Best of both worlds.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TheRazorbackGuy

What do you think?

Wrong Answer Hogfather, Hogs Dominate NIU Like They Dominated Texas Tech Except Worse As NIU Disrespects The Hogs And Loses 52-13 As The Hogs Have Zero Turnovers vs NIU

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 17, 2014, 12:25:31 pm

They came back from 21-7 down against Auburn to tie it 21-21 before things went south.  They held explosive TTU to an initial 3 and out befoer having a turnover deep in their own territory before giving up a TD.  They came back anyway.  Also against TTU, they gave up a fumble on a strange and oddly called reverse after a big drive that would have put them up two scores.  But then they got a big INT and went up two scores anyway.

I'd say they can take a punch and come back from it.

EFBAB

Oklahawg

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 17, 2014, 02:01:42 pm
They came back from 21-7 down against Auburn to tie it 21-21 before things went south.  They held explosive TTU to an initial 3 and out befoer having a turnover deep in their own territory before giving up a TD.  They came back anyway.  Also against TTU, they gave up a fumble on a strange and oddly called reverse after a big drive that would have put them up two scores.  But then they got a big INT and went up two scores anyway.

I'd say they can take a punch and come back from it.

EFBAB

I'd like to see us confirm that again. Three games with a punch and see if we don't grow a fighter's chin (is that the right metaphor?). Get USED to taking a punch and let it not bug you.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

AugustaHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 17, 2014, 12:16:50 pm
They've also, for the most part, benefited from choosing or lucking into some pretty terrible Big 5 teams, when they have to "step up" in competition.  I don't think Arkansas is a different type of "step up".

I think you are right on the money here.  They have done a masterful job of picking teams that they feel they can take down.  I think most pegged NW to be better than they are though.  They would've taken that game if NW was picked for 10 wins.  We, on the other hand, are better than previously advertised.  I don't think this was the game they thought they would be getting when they signed up for this.  We need dispatch of them quickly.

Pork Twain

Arkansas was able to respond to everything TT was able to do last week and I think that has a lot to do with the mental make-up CBB is establishing with this team.  Not to mention NIU has not faced anyone with a running game close to ours.  I seriously doubt they have more defensive talent than TT and that is saying something.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 17, 2014, 02:19:51 pm
Arkansas was able to respond to everything TT was able to do last week and I think that has a lot to do with the mental make-up CBB is establishing with this team.  Not to mention NIU has not faced anyone with a running game close to ours.  I seriously doubt they have more defensive talent than TT and that is saying something.

They may very well be better (though different) both offensively and defensively than Tech. I wasn't all that impressed with Tech.

Now maybe NIU wears down just like Tech's defense did, but I expect NIU's offense to keep our defense on the field longer this Saturday than they were kept on the field last weekend.

Should we win? Yes. A dominating blow out like last weekend? That would be great but I am not expecting it to happen.
Go Hogs Go!

The Hogfather

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 17, 2014, 02:17:47 pm
I think you are right on the money here.  They have done a masterful job of picking teams that they feel they can take down.  I think most pegged NW to be better than they are though.  They would've taken that game if NW was picked for 10 wins.  We, on the other hand, are better than previously advertised.  I don't think this was the game they thought they would be getting when they signed up for this.  We need dispatch of them quickly.

I just want to point out that I meant to say that Arkansas IS a different type of "step up".

Pigsknuckles

Can't get this out of my head: "He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!"
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 17, 2014, 01:35:22 pm
Uh ... wha?

NU went to bowl games from 2008-12. The Wildcats finished ranked 16th in 2012, 10-3.

They were favored to win the Big Ten last season, started 4-0, finished 1-7.

The downturn is rather recent.

Come on BP...  They had a couple of good years in the last 12 but other than they have been very unimpressive and their results remind me a lot of what HDN used to puff his chest out about.  Their results were very similar in that they were their best when the rest of the conf was at its worst and their wins against some pretty sorry teams in many cases.

2002 Beat no one (4-8)
2003 Beat a ranked Wisky (6-7)
2004 Beat a ranked Ohio St and Purdue (6-6)
2005 Beat a ranked Mich St and Wisky (7-5)
2006 Beat no one (4-8)
2007 Beat no one (6-6)
2008, the only team they beat that was worth a crap was Minnesota (9-3)
2009 was actually probably their best year since GB left, with wins vs ranked Iowa and Wisky (8-5)
2010 Beat a ranked Iowa team, other than that...crap  (7-6)
2011 Beat a ranked Nebraska team, other than that...crap  (6-7)
2012 had a nice record but did not really beat anyone 0-0 vs ranked teams  (10-3)
2013 Beat no one  (5-7)
2014 (0-2)

1highhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 17, 2014, 12:46:53 pm
Noted... But everyone can be at peace and sleep cause this years Hogs are not taking anyone for granted.   They respect NIU, but they also know that the Hogs are, by astronomical proportions, much better, more skilled, and more powerful than NIU.   IMHO it won't be close....

I know that with CBB knowing all about NIU he'll not have his team looking past them, he'll be showing them every highlight there is of them and their last four years of dominance record wise according to him.  I see the Hogs focused for this one.  But, I still don't see us running the ball simply at will as we did our last two games, I think we'll have to use the pass more this game to open up the running lanes, JMO.  I see a 17 point victory by the Hogs.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 17, 2014, 02:25:17 pm
They may very well be better (though different) both offensively and defensively than Tech. I wasn't all that impressed with Tech.

Now maybe NIU wears down just like Tech's defense did, but I expect NIU's offense to keep our defense on the field longer this Saturday than they were kept on the field last weekend.

Should we win? Yes. A dominating blow out like last weekend? That would be great but I am not expecting it to happen.
I do not know why but I have a really good feeling about this weekend and really expect similar results.  Been a long time since I felt that way though, so we could get destroyed and I will then realize that is what this feeling actually was.  ;)

Mike_e

I'm thinking that NIU makes a god impression of a tourist down on Beale Street.

Parties hard for a while but winds up getting rolled.

That lack of depth is a killer.  Heck, just ask us trying to play bama.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HF#1

Quote from: Mike_e on September 17, 2014, 02:59:16 pm
I'm thinking that NIU makes a god impression of a tourist down on Beale Street.

Parties hard for a while but winds up getting rolled.

That lack of depth is a killer.  Heck, just ask us trying to play bama.

You been drinkin?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hogfather

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 17, 2014, 02:44:29 pm
Come on BP...  They had a couple of good years in the last 12 but other than they have been very unimpressive and their results remind me a lot of what HDN used to puff his chest out about.  Their results were very similar in that they were their best when the rest of the conf was at its worst and their wins against some pretty sorry teams in many cases.

2002 Beat no one (4-8)
2003 Beat a ranked Wisky (6-7)
2004 Beat a ranked Ohio St and Purdue (6-6)
2005 Beat a ranked Mich St and Wisky (7-5)
2006 Beat no one (4-8)
2007 Beat no one (6-6)
2008, the only team they beat that was worth a crap was Minnesota (9-3)
2009 was actually probably their best year since GB left, with wins vs ranked Iowa and Wisky (8-5)
2010 Beat a ranked Iowa team, other than that...crap  (7-6)
2011 Beat a ranked Nebraska team, other than that...crap  (6-7)
2012 had a nice record but did not really beat anyone 0-0 vs ranked teams  (10-3)
2013 Beat no one  (5-7)
2014 (0-2)

Quite a different statement than your previous one. Nice misdirection.

To be accurate, Gary Barnett had two good teams at NU -- 1995 (10-2) and 1996 (9-3). His last two seasons there were losers. Barnett didn't get even remotely close to the level of success Pat Fitzgerald has had. Not within 1,000 miles. Not within the known universe. Well, maybe that.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 17, 2014, 02:32:53 pm
Can't get this out of my head: "He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!"

Another guy who thought it was a fight:

[CENSORED]!

Sir Oinksalot

...it's all about what Mike Leach said....football is for big guys who WANT to push each other around...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Pork Twain

September 17, 2014, 03:53:19 pm #45 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:11:08 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 17, 2014, 03:22:47 pm
Quite a different statement than your previous one. Nice misdirection.

To be accurate, Gary Barnett had two good teams at NU -- 1995 (10-2) and 1996 (9-3). His last two seasons there were losers. Barnett didn't get even remotely close to the level of success Pat Fitzgerald has had. Not within 1,000 miles. Not within the known universe. Well, maybe that.
Not at all, I am still saying they are not, nor have they been a good team.  They are the Miss St of the Big-12.  I am just not impressed with anything they have done in the last 15ish years.  GB was only the second coach to take them to back-to-back conference championships and that was when ND, Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St were all pretty darned good.

I almost feel dirty, disagreeing with you.

razorbackkid

We are gonna smoke these guys like a cigarette after sex.  It's gonna be good.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

lumphog

Quote from: razorbackkid on September 17, 2014, 03:56:15 pm
We are gonna smoke these guys like a cigarette after sex.  It's gonna be good.
+1.........Is that you, Jameis ???

RunHogruN

CBB has had dealings with NIU before and something tells me that he knows not to overlook this team.  It's one thing to be confident and another to be cocky.  Every team the Hogs play deserves respect no matter who or what conference they play in.  On any given Saturday a team like NIU can catch lightning and burn the hogs especially with the other team has experienced leadership and has had success on the road no matter the level of competition.  Bottom line is treat your opponent like they are the best team you will ever play and that we can only win the game giving 110%.  Play fast, physical, and smart with all of what you've got. Full effort is all I want to see from our guys.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RunHogruN on September 17, 2014, 04:31:08 pm
CBB has had dealings with NIU before and something tells me that he knows not to overlook this team.  It's one thing to be confident and another to be cocky.  Every team the Hogs play deserves respect no matter who or what conference they play in.  On any given Saturday a team like NIU can catch lightning and burn the hogs especially with the other team has experienced leadership and has had success on the road no matter the level of competition.  Bottom line is treat your opponent like they are the best team you will ever play and that we can only win the game giving 110%.  Play fast, physical, and smart with all of what you've got. Full effort is all I want to see from our guys.

I don't believe the staff nor the team will take NIU lightly or look past them to Texas A&M. That's the good news.

The bad news is that now that some of our posters have experienced a couple of wins back to back and one against a legit Big 12 team, if we don't come out and blow NIU's doors off, folks "may" react as if we might as well have lost. I hope that won't be the case but it seems the posters on here have been riding extraordinarily "high" since last Saturday.

The mood swings on this site are so severe that Lanny needs to install a dispenser of Prozac in the homes of most of our more active posters, who now see us blowing one team after another out of the water after the Tech game. They may need it at times this season.  ;)
Go Hogs Go!