Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wall Street Journal on Hogs, SEC West

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 16, 2014, 10:07:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dacskc

QuoteIt isn't just the human polls that value the SEC West. In the Simple Rating System, a ranking that accounts for margin of victory and strength of schedule, the SEC West has four of the country's top six teams and all seven are in the top 27. By this metric, the worst SEC West team (Arkansas) is better than the best Big Ten team (Penn State).

shotgun7

Quote from: dacskc on September 16, 2014, 10:16:01 am
It isn't just the human polls that value the SEC West. In the Simple Rating System, a ranking that accounts for margin of victory and strength of schedule, the SEC West has four of the country's top six teams and all seven are in the top 27. By this metric, the worst SEC West team (Arkansas) is better than the best Big Ten team (Penn State).

They very well could be! They would give them a good run that is for sure!

Vantage 8 dude

Unfortunately there's a name for what's about to happen as the SECW teams begin playing one another: It's called "eating your young" and/or cannibalism.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 16, 2014, 11:34:48 am
Unfortunately there's a name for what's about to happen as the SECW teams begin playing one another: It's called "eating your young" and/or cannibalism.

And another "Only the Strong Survive".

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 16, 2014, 05:50:12 pm
And another "Only the Strong Survive".

Didn't know you were a REO Speedwagon fan, Wiz.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pig Worshipper

I have no doubt that Arkansas would play Penn State very well and would probably win. Also, I'm not sure that Penn State is the best team in the Big Ten.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 16, 2014, 06:08:00 pm
Didn't know you were a REO Speedwagon fan, Wiz.

He's just Ridin' the Storm out and the Hogs need to Keep Pushin' On and Take it on the Run.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

shotgun7

It does suck that the west has to play each other and pretty much destroy itself. All the teams in the SEC W could go to to toe with any teams in the other power conferences right now. Even the bottom of the SEC W would win more often than not.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Can we do a sabbatical, or something like an artist-in-residence? Where the Hogs get to go spend a year in ANOTHER conference?

Razor1997

Jeez, us and Mississippi State could be #11 and #12 in the nation, and we'd still be picked to finish in the last two spots in the division.  It's probably safe to say there's never been a division this loaded in NCAA football history.

Jek Tono Porkins

Ole Miss is so incredibly overrated. #10? Give me a f'in break. They're going to end up an 8 win team at best.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

westside_player

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 17, 2014, 12:38:08 am
Ole Miss is so incredibly overrated. #10? Give me a f'in break. They're going to end up an 8 win team at best.

and when you play LSU , Alabama, A&M, and Auburn, you can be an 8 win team and best 10th best.

I'm not sure what other 5 is better than them right now. Both Los Angeles teams should be, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon , Georgia Maybe

redeye

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 17, 2014, 12:07:22 am
Jeez, us and Mississippi State could be #11 and #12 in the nation, and we'd still be picked to finish in the last two spots in the division.  It's probably safe to say there's never been a division this loaded in NCAA football history.

Yea, I don't think anyone would argue with that.  You could probably argue that there's never been another CONFERENCE as loaded as the Western Division in NCAA football history, unless you count the SEC.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: westside_player on September 17, 2014, 02:30:34 am
and when you play LSU , Alabama, A&M, and Auburn, you can be an 8 win team and best 10th best.

I'm not sure what other 5 is better than them right now. Both Los Angeles teams should be, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon , Georgia Maybe
boston college beat usc.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Paul

fakebobholt

this is so true. I wish every conference would start playing other conferences more. We talk and know about the dominance of the SEC but it would really show if we played a majority of our games out of conference. We could have 3-5 teams with zero or 1 loss. I think the fans would love playing other teams and it would give college football another boost (not that it needs one). This would show who's real in other conferences as well. I think attendance would be up in stadiums if teams got to go against fresh faces and fan bases. We cannibalize ourselves in the SEC and especially the west.

Hog N Bama

Yep, and all those teams with cupcake schedules will rise to the top  >:(

Hog N Bama

ballz2thewall

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 17, 2014, 08:32:12 am

this is so true. I wish every conference would start playing other conferences more. We talk and know about the dominance of the SEC but it would really show if we played a majority of our games out of conference. We could have 3-5 teams with zero or 1 loss. I think the fans would love playing other teams and it would give college football another boost (not that it needs one). This would show who's real in other conferences as well. I think attendance would be up in stadiums if teams got to go against fresh faces and fan bases. We cannibalize ourselves in the SEC and especially the west.

i think the point of having a conference is playing against one another.
The rest of the frog.