Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Developing new players = key to improvement this week

Started by three hog night, September 16, 2014, 08:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

three hog night

We have 2 major weakensses- WR and Secondary.  The next weaknesses are LB and Interior Dline depth.  This week is our last chance until UAB.

Our progress is tied to getting new players reps and experience.  It is not a thing some want to hear but our JR and SR class signees from 2010-2011-2012 are not loaded with talent and numbers.  Sure a few are good but the talent and leadership is not there as it should be in numbers.   We have to face some facts that some of the JR and SR class is not as good as our new players.

The WRs need some new players to get comfortable and experienced- D Wilson is technically new, Morgan, Hollister, and the Freshman like Cornelius and Edwards.   The Sophs, RS FR, and True FR have to get comfortable in the Secondary with lots of reps in games.  Unfortunately, NIU is not a team that will be blown out, but that is what we desperately need so we can play the new players. 

We also have to develop depth at LB and DT, so a lot of young/new players have to get reps.   We need Williams, Hackett, Ramsey, & Eugene to play a lot at LB this week.  We need INTERIOR Dline depth so Bijohn as well as switch overs Ollison and Boyd have to get snaps this week.

We need a big win this week to keep up the momentum. A close game will keep us from playing enough new players.  We need to pass a lot this week to develop rhythm for BA and the WR's; because we will need to pass a lot from A&M on out.

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

jgphillips3

Even Coach said they would pass more than last week so I think it's a given that we'll see more passing and need to for tougher games but there will be plenty of in your face rushing as there will always be.

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 16, 2014, 08:35:04 am
Even Coach said they would pass more than last week so I think it's a given that we'll see more passing and need to for tougher games but there will be plenty of in your face rushing as there will always be.

I heard his quote, but I will venture two things. 1. IF they do pass more, it will be early to open up the run, and it will be BA throwing to the starters, not the young guys, and 2, if the Hogs get up by 14 or more, it is not likely they will keep throwing just for the sake of throwing. That is not BB's style. 

Now, I fully expect, if NIU comes out with 8 or 9 in the box, the Hogs will throw more than they did last week, but it will be for the purpose of winning the game, NOT just for the sake of throwing it to develop chemistry and timing between BA and the receivers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas won't need to pass a lot against Texas A&M, not at first, hope not at all.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 08:48:00 am
Arkansas won't need to pass a lot against Texas A&M, not at first, hope not at all.

Do you think the game plan against A&M will be much like it was against TT?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 08:49:05 am
Do you think the game plan against A&M will be much like it was against TT?

Yes.  The matchup is similar, but A&M is far superior to Tech offensively.  Unless we get some turnovers, we'll need at least 3 defensive stops and 40 minutes of possession time to win the game.  May look a lot like the 2011 game.  The split crowd will help.  If we can keep A&M from starting fast and stay within two scores well into the second half the crowd will help and we have a shot. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

three hog night

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 16, 2014, 09:07:00 am
Yes.  The matchup is similar, but A&M is far superior to Tech offensively.  Unless we get some turnovers, we'll need at least 3 defensive stops and 40 minutes of possession time to win the game.  May look a lot like the 2011 game.  The split crowd will help.  If we can keep A&M from starting fast and stay within two scores well into the second half the crowd will help and we have a shot.

The dual threat is very strong with A&M, which was missing from TT.  The A&M run game is far better than TT, and the A&M RB's are fast AND physical. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 16, 2014, 09:07:00 am

I have watched A&M now three times.  They looked really good against SC, but they looked sloppy last week against Rice, even though they handled them easily. Their middle game was the equivalent of Nicholls st.  They also don't seem to run the ball well, or they are not really interested in running the ball.

The one thing I thought was key against TT was the effect our long drives had on the TT OFFENSE.  Midway through the 2nd Q, you could see their offense take on the attitude of " we HAVE to score every time we have the ball " Webb started pressing, and he made some mistakes.

three hog night

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 08:29:47 am
I knew this would be somewhere in your post.

No, they do't NEED to pass a lot UNLESS they HAVE to pass a lot to win the game.

You do not KNOW they will HAVE to pass a lot from A&M on out. You just hope they do because YOU WANT to see more passing.

I think we need to pass to develop the film for future games so the opposition has to take our pass threat seriously.  I think we need to pass to develop the confidence that we can pass when we need to.  I do not KNOW that we will have to pass more from A&M on out, but I will have to say that it is very probable we play tougher Def lines and LB's than TT.

EastexHawg

I don't know how we can gauge just how good A&M really is so far.  Did South Carolina just lay an egg or are the Aggies really that dominant?  I'm guessing the answer is somewhere in between.

Rice put up 28 first downs and 481 yards on them.  They converted 10 of 21 third downs against the Aggie defense.  That was after Notre Dame mauled Rice in the season opener.

three hog night

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 09:14:30 am
I have watched A&M now three times.  They looked really good against SC, but they looked sloppy last week against Rice, even though they handled them easily. Their middle game was the equivalent of Nicholls st.  They also don't seem to run the ball well, or they are not really interested in running the ball.

The one thing I thought was key against TT was the effect our long drives had on the TT OFFENSE.  Midway through the 2nd Q, you could see their offense take on the attitude of " we HAVE to score every time we have the ball " Webb started pressing, and he made some mistakes.

This is very much spot on.   Hill is a FR that could very likely press and make mistakes.   I feel he had tooo much success against USCe and it went to his head, because he has not been as sharp since.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: three hog night on September 16, 2014, 08:25:23 am
The WRs need some new players to get comfortable and experienced- D Wilson is technically new, Morgan, Hollister, and the Freshman like Cornelius and Edwards.   The Sophs, RS FR, and True FR have to get comfortable in the Secondary with lots of reps in games.  Unfortunately, NIU is not a team that will be blown out, but that is what we desperately need so we can play the new players. 

We also have to develop depth at LB and DT, so a lot of young/new players have to get reps.   We need Williams, Hackett, Ramsey, & Eugene to play a lot at LB this week.  We need INTERIOR Dline depth so Bijohn as well as switch overs Ollison and Boyd have to get snaps this week.

Wilson isn't technically new; he played a full season in 2012. He went through spring and much of August practices in 2013. Practice time is more important than anything for the others. Doing it in games proves they're ready, doesn't make them ready.

It is easier to play freshmen at home, and they tend to be more productive there. The hard part about subbing on the Dline is in those HUNH games. If guys like Hodge and Jackson go in, they might have to play more than a few snaps. That is what the HUNH is looking for, the fourth, fifth, sixth downs they are on the field. Anybody notice Cordale Boyd played last weekend? I don't believe Ollison got in there.

You seem to be saying that you think the Hogs need to pass a lot to turn the NIU game into a blowout. Might happen. Their pass defense is suspect.
[CENSORED]!

three hog night

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 16, 2014, 09:16:04 am
I don't know how we can gauge just how good A&M really is so far.  Did South Carolina just lay an egg or are the Aggies really that dominant?  I'm guessing the answer is somewhere in between.

Rice put up 28 first downs and 481 yards on them.  They converted 10 of 21 third downs against the Aggie defense.  That was after Notre Dame mauled Rice in the season opener.

Those are some interesting stats and bode well for us against A&M.  I hope that we can perform good enough to play a lot young players this week and next week against A&M.  By the end of the season the young players could make a difference in a few wins.

hogsanity

Quote from: three hog night on September 16, 2014, 09:17:37 am
This is very much spot on.   Hill is a FR that could very likely press and make mistakes.   I feel he had tooo much success against USCe and it went to his head, because he has not been as sharp since.

While I watched the A&M/RICE game, I was not paying super close attention, but it seemed that Hill wants to look for the homerun ball on every play.  Maybe that was just my perception as I flipped between that game and a couple others.

three hog night

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 09:20:23 am
Wilson isn't technically new; he played a full season in 2012. He went through spring and much of August practices in 2013. Practice time is more important than anything for the others. Doing it in games proves they're ready, doesn't make them ready.

It is easier to play freshmen at home, and they tend to be more productive there. The hard part about subbing on the Dline is in those HUNH games. If guys like Hodge and Jackson go in, they might have to play more than a few snaps. That is what the HUNH is looking for, the fourth, fifth, sixth downs they are on the field. Anybody notice Cordale Boyd played last weekend? I don't believe Ollison got in there.

You seem to be saying that you think the Hogs need to pass a lot to turn the NIU game into a blowout. Might happen. Their pass defense is suspect.

Yes I think we need to pass a lot to blow the game out this Saturday.  The blowout is what we need to give new guys a lot of snaps.

What I meant about Wilson is that he has not played in games much more than some freshman.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 16, 2014, 09:16:04 am

A&M on D looks like a lot of defenses of teams that run a hurry up offense. What I can't tell is if they are just not quite as fast as other SEC defenses, or they are just a touch lazy, relying on their offense to just outscore everyone.  They had a lot of the same type of missed tackles at the LOS as did TT.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 08:48:00 am

Oops, did we play the NIU game already...?

three hog night

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 10:02:29 am
NO.  Did you not read the OP where he said the Hogs NEED to pass this week, because they will HAVE to pass against A&M.

I think we will have to pass more from A&M onward.  I hope that we do pass this week to work on that aspect of the game, because we don't want to be working out wrinkles in Jerry World.   Bama and UGA is where we will really need to pass in the immediate future.

bigdaddyhawg

September 16, 2014, 12:21:35 pm #19 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:09:58 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: three hog night on September 16, 2014, 09:14:57 am
I think we need to pass to develop the film for future games so the opposition has to take our pass threat seriously. 

IF we really have a valid passing game, then this is the LAST thing you want to do.

Let the other team game plan as if we are not able to throw at all, then screw them up with a multiple attack.

Besides, unless you're playing against a wildly over-matched team, which I don't think NIU will be, the coaches will not be worrying about calling plays based on what they want our upcoming opposing coaching staffs to look at on film.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: three hog night on September 16, 2014, 11:34:45 am
I think we will have to pass more from A&M onward.  I hope that we do pass this week to work on that aspect of the game, because we don't want to be working out wrinkles in Jerry World.   Bama and UGA is where we will really need to pass in the immediate future.

Umm, you work on things in practice, not in games ( at least not until the outcome is no longer in doubt ). 

hawgXi

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 16, 2014, 09:59:28 am
Oops, did we play the NIU game already...?

Multiple Choice:

1.  which football team played in a BCS Bowl game most recently?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

2.  which team had a top 5 finalist for the Hiesman Trophy most recently?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

3.  which team has had the "longest streak" going into this season.
a.  Arkansas (hint: 10 game)
b.  Northern Illinois (17 game)

4.  who will be the "Road team" this weekend?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

5.  which team has had the most wins vs. Power 5 confernce teams in past two seasons?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northen Illinois

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgXi on September 16, 2014, 01:10:05 pm
Multiple Choice:

1.  which football team played in a BCS Bowl game most recently?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

2.  which team had a top 5 finalist for the Hiesman Trophy most recently?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

3.  which team has had the "longest streak" going into this season.
a.  Arkansas (hint: 10 game)
b.  Northern Illinois (17 game)

4.  who will be the "Road team" this weekend?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northern Illinois

5.  which team has had the most wins vs. Power 5 confernce teams in past two seasons?
a.  Arkansas
b.  Northen Illinois

True or false, the OP of this thread mentioned the Hogs would need to throw the ball against A&M.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 09:21:21 am
While I watched the A&M/RICE game, I was not paying super close attention, but it seemed that Hill wants to look for the homerun ball on every play.  Maybe that was just my perception as I flipped between that game and a couple others.

the kid has already given himself a nickname....I'm sure he wants to get six with every throw.  Hopefully that overconfidence will lead to forcing the issue, especially if we get a lead.

As far as teh NIU game, I hope to see more refinement in the passing game.  BA was off by about a foot on those passes that would have been TDs.  Something to work on in practice for sure
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: three hog night on September 16, 2014, 09:23:29 am
Yes I think we need to pass a lot to blow the game out this Saturday.  The blowout is what we need to give new guys a lot of snaps.

What I meant about Wilson is that he has not played in games much more than some freshman.

Wilson played in 12 games in 2012 + his three in 2014. Plus two years in junior college. He's a smidge ahead of the freshmen who had never played in a college football game (or seen college-grade coed groupie cleavage for that matter).
[CENSORED]!

lumphog

3Dog, I like the way you think & am pretty SURE CBB is thinkin the same way. I bet they spend all week chunkin it around. They will be ready Saturday.

three hog night

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2014, 02:02:44 pm
Wilson played in 12 games in 2012 + his three in 2014. Plus two years in junior college. He's a smidge ahead of the freshmen who had never played in a college football game (or seen college-grade coed groupie cleavage for that matter).

I didn't know Wilson played in 2012?  Ya learn something new everyday.....

three hog night

Quote from: lumphog on September 16, 2014, 02:06:31 pm
3Dog, I like the way you think & am pretty SURE CBB is thinkin the same way. I bet they spend all week chunkin it around. They will be ready Saturday.

The play action game needs work in game settings before we get to Bama and UGA.We will need to throw some if NIU slows our run game, so that we can work on our base passing game.   I think the play action is going to open up the big plays that the NIU secondary has as a weakness.    I hope this game gets Hollister, Cornelius, and Edwards some passes to get comfortable.   We need to develop them for SEC play.