Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas played Arkansas State....................in rugby. Check out this fake!

Started by koreaben, September 15, 2014, 11:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Iwastherein1969

truth being, the Aussie Rules Football is the roughest sport with one ball in play that there is....those guys are big, fast and wear no pads, not even on their heads
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

1highhog

Well I don't want to watch, anyone care to say who won or do they keep score in Rugby?

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 16, 2014, 12:06:38 am
truth being, the Aussie Rules Football is the roughest sport with one ball in play that there is....those guys are big, fast and wear no pads, not even on their heads

Lived out there for years. Big in rugby and Aussie Rules is about the size of a fullback in the NFL. They tolerate pain, but they are not fast or big compared to American football players.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

BPsTheMan

tackle football on the playground in fifth grade

we've all done it

let's move along now

clutch

Quote from: 1highhog on September 16, 2014, 12:50:18 am
Well I don't want to watch, anyone care to say who won or do they keep score in Rugby?

Not sure but I'm going to guess state won. They are usually one of the top 3 teams in the nation.

HogShat

wildwolf

Arkansas has had a Rugby team since 1971. They and Arkansas State usually play a game/games  every year. So far, ASU has won all of the contests. In 2012 and 2013, A-State won the National Championship in the Rugby 7's Tounament. In those same two year, ASU finished as the 3rd place team in the national tournament in the 15's competition.

A few days ago, both teams played in a tournament at the Little Rock Rugby Complex. Here is the article:

NEWS ARTICLE
A-STATE RUGBY WINS OZARKS 15S TOURNAMENT
09/13/2014

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas State University's rugby team marched through the Ozarks 15's Tournament to take seven wins to open the 2014-15 season Saturday at the Little Rock Rugby Complex. The tournament, featuring five teams, was hosted by the Little Rock Rugby Club.

In addition to two Red Wolf squads, teams from Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, Arkansas, and Louisiana Tech made up the field.

Four of the seven wins came against Arkansas as the Red Wolves dominated each match, 24-0, 14-10, 27-0 and 43-0 in the final game of the day.

A-State's defense allowed 13 points all day when Memphis put up three in the first game. The Red Wolves ended the match with a 34-3 victory after leading, 24-0, at the half. The 10 scored by Arkansas came in the fourth game.

In other A-State play, Louisiana Tech dropped a 38-0 decision in game two and, after leading 24-0 at the half, A-State finished off Middle Tennessee State, 63-0, in game five.

Arkansas State goes back on the road, Saturday, Sept. 20, to Tallahassee, Fla., to play Florida State.

pike1516

Quote from: clutch on September 16, 2014, 06:54:02 am
Not sure but I'm going to guess state won. They are usually one of the top 3 teams in the nation.
ASU didnt even take their A-side.   This is either ASU C-team vs UA B-team or the other game was ASU B-team vs UA A-team

clutch

Quote from: pike1516 on September 16, 2014, 11:43:15 am
ASU didnt even take their A-side.   This is either ASU C-team vs UA B-team or the other game was ASU B-team vs UA A-team

I didn't realize they had A and B teams. I don't know much about it other than that ASU is always really good.

Two Socks

I'm not a rugby follower but read where the Red Wolves will be competing in the Premier League,  which is an invitation only league consisting of the nation's top program's.   I know that Cal, UCLA, and BYU play in this league and they are the usual 15's national champs.   That says a lot for the job the group in Arkansas has done.

Sweet Feet

wildwolf

Update about A-State's Rugby team. They just beat a Professional Rugby team from Glendale, AZ., the Glendale Raptors. Only the second time in US history that a college team has beaten a pro team. The University of California accomplished it once.

http://www.astate.edu/news/a-state-rugby-takes-59-24-win-over-glendale-raptors

In case any Hog fans are interested, The Razorbacks will play A-State October 4th at 1 PM in Jonesboro.

Adam Stokes

BYU has one the Rugby title the past 3 years, and we went up against ASU in one of the national title games.  Good to know ASU at least has something going for them.

GolfNut57

Just throwing this in there. Last Saturday ASU hosted the UofA in Rugby and the result was a Red Wolves victory 109-0.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Two Socks

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 06, 2014, 11:11:59 pm
Just throwing this in there. Last Saturday ASU hosted the UofA in Rugby and the result was a Red Wolves victory 109-0.

Wasn't this more like an exhibition game since Arkansas is in a lower classification?    This was not a Premier League matchup.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Two Socks on October 06, 2014, 11:25:18 pm
Wasn't this more like an exhibition game since Arkansas is in a lower classification?    This was not a Premier League matchup.

I would say it is the equivalent to Arkansas playing Nichols State in football this year.  8)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

wildwolf

Quote from: Adam Stokes on September 30, 2014, 03:12:11 pm
BYU has one the Rugby title the past 3 years, and we went up against ASU in one of the national title games.  Good to know ASU at least has something going for them.
Oh, A-State has much more than Rugby going for it, like beating Utah State 2 weeks ago. You know, the team that beat BYU Friday night!  😄

Adam Stokes

Quote from: wildwolf on October 07, 2014, 11:53:25 am
Oh, A-State has much more than Rugby going for it, like beating Utah State 2 weeks ago. You know, the team that beat BYU Friday night!  😄

BYU didn't have Taysom Hill for most of the game, so I don't think it is as equivalent as you would like to make it, but yes, you beat a team that beat BYU.

wildwolf

Quote from: Adam Stokes on October 07, 2014, 05:10:16 pm
BYU didn't have Taysom Hill for most of the game, so I don't think it is as equivalent as you would like to make it, but yes, you beat a team that beat BYU.
Adam, you might do a little research. ASU lost THREE starters for the year in the previous 2 games before Utah State. The best offensive player, running back Flash Gordon, has been out since the second quarter of the Tennessee game. Oh, Flash, finally played Saturday night. He had 15 carries for 160+ yards against a team whose defense was allowing only 106 per game. Yeah, BYU caught a break that Flash did not play against them.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Adam Stokes on September 30, 2014, 03:12:11 pm
Good to know ASU at least has something going for them.

Something good like winning our league in American football four times in the last 10 years?

wildwolf

Adam, another A-State bragging - ASU hurdler Sharika Nelvis won both the indoor and outdoor NCAA championships this year. Her outdoor time is the best in the WORLD!  Not bad, huh , Adam.

ricepig

Quote from: wildwolf on October 09, 2014, 10:25:07 am
Adam, another A-State bragging - ASU hurdler Sharika Nelvis won both the indoor and outdoor NCAA championships this year. Her outdoor time is the best in the WORLD!  Not bad, huh , Adam.

So, tell someone over on burialgrounds......

ricepig