Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at our remaining schedule, I still see 5 or 6 wins . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 15, 2014, 04:03:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . for the season, same as I thought going in.

It's like a lot of folks said - we may be (and it appears - are) better than we were last year and not have a much better record.  5 SEC WEST teams in today's Top 10 underlines the reason for that.  But, there is unquestionably improvement over last year's team - how much, we've yet to fully discover.  I'm OK with that, and I feel we will be competitive in every game we play.  I expect we will most likely lose to Alabama, but I'm certain it will NOT be by 50+ points as it has been the last 2 years.  And it would not stun me if it were a lot closer than that - being in Fayetteville - if we get a kind bounce of the ball or two.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to competitive games every weekend the rest of the way (not counting UAB, who we will throttle).  I expect we'll score an upset or two, but also realize this is a team - though improving - that still has some weaknesses to address.  We may lose a game or two that most think going in we should win - for example, this week.  I'm not predicting a loss to NIU, but we will have some up and down swings.  Comes with the rebuilding territory.  An example would be the first half vs. the second half of the Auburn game.

NIU, Ole MIss, A&M, LSU, Mizzou, Georgia and MSU all look "winnable" - but we won't win them all, and it would seem likely that we will lose more of those games than we win.  It will be 2 more years before we're a bona fide, full throttle, totally legit threat to win the West - which, by definition, means a possibility to win the SEC and be in the four team NCAA playoff.  This year feels a lot like 2009, but with a tougher schedule.  We need to win this Saturday and then put 2 SEC W's up to make a Bowl.  Anything more than that would be gravy for me.

As Jeff Long said, CBB has made Football fun again.

Uncommon

Right now I got Northern Illinois, UAB, at Mississippi State, and at Missouri as our next 4 most winnable games.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Brutal Schedule. We are probably a top 3-4 team in any other conference, yet not Top 4 in our own division.

Hollywood_HOGan45

a win saturday all bur assures a bowl game.

Schedule is brutal but there's no way this team cannot scratch out at least two SEC wins.

GolfnHog

If we can get 2-3 Sec wins along w/ running the rest of the OOC schedule I'll feel really good about this year. More than anything though, just play every game w/ intensity and every team we play leaves knowing we were there to win it.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Pickwick Hog

IMO the odds of winning are a bit better against the predominately run teams left on the schedule.

The Hog defense practices against one of the better rushing offenses in the country a few times a week and I love the fact we're playing UGA in LR.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

redeye

There's no reason we can't beat Alabama.  We're playing them later then we usually do, so we have more time to prepare.  If we can take LSU to the wire, then we can do the same to Alabama.

hogsanity

Last Sat was a must win for bowl hopes, but I still don't see 4 more wins right now.  I do see a couple more possible ones after watching some more games. I think the Hogs can beat both of the Miss schools. A&M looked sloppy Sat against Rice. I still don't think the Hogs have the defense to beat GA, or Bama. Have not watched Mizzu.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Kevin on September 15, 2014, 04:08:30 pm
Schedule is brutal.  Seems to be getting worse every week

Good... because the Razorbacks seem to be getting better every week.   WPS!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Kevin on September 15, 2014, 04:08:30 pm
Schedule is brutal.  Seems to be getting worse every week
It IS a good thiing we're getting better every week and with this coaching staff, the sky is the limit. The OP is correct. There are some teams we'll have trouble with that maybe will be a surprise and vice versa.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 04:20:27 pm
Last Sat was a must win for bowl hopes, but I still don't see 4 more wins right now.  I do see a couple more possible ones after watching some more games. I think the Hogs can beat both of the Miss schools. A&M looked sloppy Sat against Rice. I still don't think the Hogs have the defense to beat GA, or Bama. Have not watched Mizzu.

I think there are some similarities between Mizzou and TT.

Obviously Mizzou has more talent on D, but they are not all that good over on that side of the ball.  They gave up a lot of plays the first two weeks, and looked very vulnerable.

Their offense is good, but it looks like to me they are a team we can handle IF we play well.  Mauk shows flashes, but also plays dumb at times, too, and his throws are very inconsistent.

It will be another one of those games like so many are going to be this year IMO where the team that plays the better football will win.

If we can continue to play smart football, don't turn the ball over much, and play D as well as we did the second half of Auburn and TT, then we will definitely win a few of those tough ones.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 15, 2014, 04:12:28 pm

Schedule is brutal but there's no way this team cannot scratch out at least two SEC wins.

A win does NOT assure a bowl game. if we beat NIU we might get a chance but  there are alot of challenges in the way. Hopefully we can beat Mizzou and Mississippi state, but im not marking down a win just yet. One game at a time.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 04:40:34 pm
I think there are some similarities between Mizzou and TT.

Obviously Mizzou has more talent on D, but they are not all that good over on that side of the ball.  They gave up a lot of plays the first two weeks, and looked very vulnerable.

Their offense is good, but it looks like to me they are a team we can handle IF we play well.  Mauk shows flashes, but also plays dumb at times, too, and his throws are very inconsistent.

It will be another one of those games like so many are going to be this year IMO where the team that plays the better football will win.

If we can continue to play smart football, don't turn the ball over much, and play D as well as we did the second half of Auburn and TT, then we will definitely win a few of those tough ones.

I left out LSu.  They look like typical LSU, run alot, play solid D, which actually plays right into the Hogs game plan.  Just like last year, LSU let/Hogs put forth the effort to really outplay LSU except for one pass play at the end.

So to sum up:

Winnable- NI, A&M, LSU, old misses, MSU, MIzzu

Not likely - Bama, GA, although I think I might be over rating GA, but they are toughest in some areas that are not good matchups for the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

HoggusMaximus

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 04:44:42 pm
Not likely - Bama, GA, although I think I might be over rating GA, but they are toughest in some areas that are not good matchups for the Hogs.

I think there is a possibility that UGa proves to be more beatable than any of the SECW teams.  They've definitely got holes and question marks.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

LZH

Quote from: Uncommon on September 15, 2014, 04:05:40 pm
Right now I got Northern Illinois, UAB, at Mississippi State, and at Missouri as our next 4 most winnable games.

And that would get us to Shreveport, which would be just fine with me considering........

popcornhog

Wait a sec, I feel very confident about getting to 6-6, but all but assures?
WPS

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 15, 2014, 05:11:07 pm
Winnable-UAB-Mizzou-Miss St-Ole Miss

Unlikely-A&M-LSU-Bama

I'm not sure LSU is any less beatable than OM or MSU or UM.  Or maybe it's just those schools are unlikely as well, don't know yet.

PonderinHog

WizardofhOgZ

fakebobholt

Quote from: redeye on September 15, 2014, 04:19:40 pm
There's no reason we can't beat Alabama.  We're playing them later then we usually do, so we have more time to prepare.  If we can take LSU to the wire, then we can do the same to Alabama.

ill have what your having. We beat 2 teams we should and now were going to beat or play bama and LSU close. Im glad your a glass running over type guy but im afraid you will be dissapointed. Reality is harsh here

PonderinHog

Augustus

Agreed. I think we win against NIU, UAB, and split the Mississippi games.

I originally had us losing in Lubbock (before we say how they played against UCA & UTEP).

I had us upsetting Georgia initially, but now I'm not sure.  It's still possible (anything is), but will take exceptional play from our DL & LB's to keep Gurley at bay, plus Offense would have to be hitting on every cylinder.

I think we still have a shot at mizzou, too.  Mauk looks darn good, but I'm not sure about their SOS thus far.  Hopefully our Def 2ndary has grown enough by the last game of the season.  It's good to have Tevin Mitchel back, and seeing some good play from the younger kids.

With that said, I don't think we beat any SEC team with two turnovers. The muffed punt was a fluke, but we've got to keep the fumbles & INT's at bay.  I'm not sure our Defense forces two turnovers against our SEC schedule like we did Saturday.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Seeing improvements on all facets, we just gotta stay hungry.

Go Hogs!  :razorback:

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on September 15, 2014, 04:19:36 pm
IMO the odds of winning are a bit better against the predominately run teams left on the schedule.

The Hog defense practices against one of the better rushing offenses in the country a few times a week and I love the fact we're playing UGA in LR.
Well once again on Saturday Georgia pulls off a Georgia (i.e. finding a way to lose an early season game they should/could have won). Talking to a buddy of mine last night and we agreed that IF we're still fairly healthy come UGA time this will be a WAR OF MEN that we DO have the capability of winning, especially it being in LR. I know this: widows and orphans had better stay well away from this game 'cause it isn't going to be for the faint of heart.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: redeye on September 15, 2014, 04:19:40 pm
The major problem I see with 'Bama is they defend the run so well (aren't slouches against the pass either). As far as LSU is concerned this has developed into a "who the heck knows" game just about every year. Have to feel pretty good looking back on the past two games with them and knowing we could/should have won last years' and perhaps even the "Smiley Smith" show in 2012.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Health is going to play a big factor.  Prescott gets hurt, Wallace gets a bad haircut.  We get LSU the week after they play Alabama.  Our schedule may be just as tough as last year but we don't have the murderer's row stretch like last year and our bye weeks and UAB are timed perfectly.

We do get GA a week after Alabama.  Play the starters for a few series against Bama so they don't get rusty but then depending on how it's going, pull them so they will be fresh for Georgi.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TheGreatHogsby

4 more wins is what I am predicting. NIU,UAB,Miss St, Mizzou.6-6.

Uncommon

hogcard1964

Bingo