Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hunter Henry

Started by kcjeff, September 15, 2014, 01:07:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kcjeff

Anybody know whats up with Hunter Henry?  He seemed to be BA's favorite target last year and this year hasn't see many touches.  I know he got a TD at Auburn, but he hasn't seen many passes since.  I'm hoping its because we have so many other options for BA to pass to, but who knows.  I suppose we've run the ball an awful lot this year too.

PonderinHog

Shhhhhh, it's a secret...

Hogs1234

It blows my mind what people will say behind a computer with no knowledge of football! Hunter got tripped up at auburn and therefore missed a block so BA got hit and therefore the ball was intercepted. That happens sometimes. But after that one play he went from being hero to "that kid can't block!"  SMH....I ask everyone on this board to go back and watch all three games and see the way Henry blocked. He blocks exceptionally well, even better than last year because he's bigger, stronger and more knowledgeable of his position. We have barely passed the ball all season. He's had one TD and the other times he's been thrown to Brandon either threw too late or it got batted down.  The kid is a beast, and he's showing to anyone out there that he's a true TE who can block and catch. I dare you to go back and watch every play. Sure does he get beat a few times a game- sure! Do you ever make mistakes? Sure , we all do! But I guarantee what you'll see when you watch him play is that 90% of the time he makes his block. How do you think we are running the ball so well? With the Olinemen and TEs we have, that's how we are running it!

Smokehouse

It's always hard to see things off the ball from the TV broadcast, but I'd imagine defenses are working hard to take him out of the passing game and will until one of our WRs proves worthy of extra attention.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

rusvegashog

September 15, 2014, 01:52:04 pm #4 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:56:48 pm by rusvegashog
Quote from: Hogs1234 on September 15, 2014, 01:26:59 pm
It blows my mind what people will say behind a computer with no knowledge of football! Hunter got tripped up at auburn and therefore missed a block so BA got hit and therefore the ball was intercepted. That happens sometimes. But after that one play he went from being hero to "that kid can't block!"  SMH....I ask everyone on this board to go back and watch all three games and see the way Henry blocked. He blocks exceptionally well, even better than last year because he's bigger, stronger and more knowledgeable of his position. We have barely passed the ball all season. He's had one TD and the other times he's been thrown to Brandon either threw too late or it got batted down.  The kid is a beast, and he's showing to anyone out there that he's a true TE who can block and catch. I dare you to go back and watch every play. Sure does he get beat a few times a game- sure! Do you ever make mistakes? Sure , we all do! But I guarantee what you'll see when you watch him play is that 90% of the time he makes his block. How do you think we are running the ball so well? With the Olinemen and TEs we have, that's how we are running it!
Level heads approve this message. HH and for that matter the receiving core will be called upon more and more as the competition increases.

razorbacksnum1

Plain and simple the Arkansas coaches are not throwing to HH. I was at the Auburn game and he was wide open a lot and it never went his way. Personally, I don't understand it when he is one of the best TEs in the country. Makes no sense that we are not using play action more on 1st and second down.

On his blocking, he did miss a block in the AU game but his feet got tangled and it resulted in a bad play. If you watch the games they run behind Henry and Skipper a LOT and in the Tech game Henry made key block after key block. Go watch the game. I talked with Pittman over the summer and he said Henry was the best TE he has ever been around in all aspects.

Großer Kriegschwein

Saturday will be a big day for HH. Book it.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogs1234 on September 15, 2014, 01:26:59 pm
Sounds pretty accurate.  When we are running the ball so well and only throw a few passes, they cannot all go to HH.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sir Oinksalot

...agree HH is being shadowed, and until we can get more going passing he'll get lots of attention...
but it also seems every facet of our game getting better so look for our passing game to get sharper,
we are getting close, imo...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on September 15, 2014, 02:04:57 pm
Plain and simple the Arkansas coaches are not throwing to HH.

I was unaware that our coaches were out there making reads and throwing the ball.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

cmrhawg

Plain and simple the Arkansas coaches are not throwing to HH. I was at the Auburn game and he was wide open a lot and it never went his way. Personally, I don't understand it when he is one of the best TEs in the country. Makes no sense that we are not using play action more on 1st and second down.

On his blocking, he did miss a block in the AU game but his feet got tangled and it resulted in a bad play. If you watch the games they run behind Henry and Skipper a LOT and in the Tech game Henry made key block after key block. Go watch the game. I talked with Pittman over the summer and he said Henry was the best TE he has ever been around in all aspects.

The coaches are the ones getting him wide open. Brandon Allen is not throwing to HH.

I think it makes perfect sense. No reason to go play action on 1st down when you can just run it for ten yards.

jm

I'm not sure there is a conspiracy against Henry; we haven't thrown many passes at this point in the year.

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on September 15, 2014, 02:12:44 pm
I was unaware that our coaches were out there making reads and throwing the ball.

If you watch Arkansas offense about 80% of our passing plays are "predesigned" to go to a specific receiver. All I'm saying is that HH is not getting featured yet in the offense.

I think the Tech game is an anomaly and we should not have thrown the ball a lot because we were running it so well.

RyanLR

One pass thrown to Henry was barely broken up by a TT linebacker, was right on the money and would have been a 30 yard gain if not for the last second deflection. And I have to agree with jm in that we just haven't needed to throw that much in our two wins. I think you'll probably see HH involved more against NIU when they stack the box, nice play action and dump to the TE.

wupigsuey

He was thrown to twice that I can remember Saturday. Was just out of bounds in the end zone on one and was well defensed on the other.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

HawgNthaWater

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on September 15, 2014, 02:35:17 pm
If you watch Arkansas offense about 80% of our passing plays are "predesigned" to go to a specific receiver. All I'm saying is that HH is not getting featured yet in the offense.

I think the Tech game is an anomaly and we should not have thrown the ball a lot because we were running it so well.

I agree with you. I ask my dad every game why didn't we utilize HH more? Some times the game dictates that we need to run more than we pass and I get that. I feel like it's a double sword.
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 15, 2014, 02:05:45 pm

i suspect you're right.  i say the plan will be run run run run run, TE, run run run.....
The rest of the frog.

tconey1

Is that why BB said that on one of the third down passes, BA went to his FOURTH option?

BorderPatrol

There is so much fail in this thread, it is almost hard to believe.

bp

Peppa Pig

Makes no sense that we are not using play action more on 1st and second down.

Why in the world would you use any play action when you're running the ball at will, controlling the clock, and demoralizing your opponent?  Maybe play action would work but why bother. 

Our last two opponents didn't deserve to see a play action pass.  I expect to see more of Hunter in the coming weeks but I love that our coaches are finding things that work and doing them over and over and over until someone proves they can stop them.

ricepig

Yep, always thought it was BA not passing to him.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: Peppa Pig on September 15, 2014, 03:04:33 pm
Why in the world would you use any play action when you're running the ball at will, controlling the clock, and demoralizing your opponent?  Maybe play action would work but why bother. 

Our last two opponents didn't deserve to see a play action pass.  I expect to see more of Hunter in the coming weeks but I love that our coaches are finding things that work and doing them over and over and over until someone proves they can stop them.
For one thing, it's a long season and our RB's will wear down.  The more you work on something, the better you'll be at it when you have to.  JMO and I'm not specifically talking about play action - just the passing game in general.  Confidence!

redeye

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on September 15, 2014, 02:11:25 pm
...agree HH is being shadowed, and until we can get more going passing he'll get lots of attention...
but it also seems every facet of our game getting better so look for our passing game to get sharper,
we are getting close, imo...

Makes sense to me.  It's been amusing how little we've thrown to Henry, but the few times I recall us doing it, he was always covered very well.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: woopig71657 on September 15, 2014, 01:12:33 pm
It's no secret that he's been blown up multiple times trying to block this year. So far this year, he's been good at missing blocks and getting penalties.

Anybody remember the personal foul that #35 of Texas Tech got thrown on him? You want to know why he got it thrown on him?

BECAUSE HUNTER HENRY PANCAKED HIS *SS and drove him into the ground!! Then #35 got mad and pushed after the play.

I'd say his blocking is just fine.

fakebobholt

The lack of a passing attack will come back to haunt us at the end of the year and in recruiting if we dont show more. I know its early but you cant expect recievers or quality TE's to come here only to block for our RB's.  As it was proven with AU, if we get down we are in trouble. The first ones to complain in the game threads about our poor passing attack are the ones saying we dont need to work on passing in game time situations.

rusvegashog

I suspect there will be much more balance as the season progresses. If it stays like the Tech game it will hurt in recruiting, but I don't expect it to stay like that. We ran ran ran because they couldn't stop it. Football 101.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 15, 2014, 03:55:35 pm
The lack of a passing attack will come back to haunt us at the end of the year and in recruiting if we dont show more. I know its early but you cant expect recievers or quality TE's to come here only to block for our RB's.  As it was proven with AU, if we get down we are in trouble. The first ones to complain in the game threads about our poor passing attack are the ones saying we dont need to work on passing in game time situations.

Sure, everyone would love to see us able to move the ball at will in the pass game. However, as someone on here mentioned, you don't throw a curve when your fastball is striking out every hitter. That's what TTU wasn't able to do, so for THIS GAME, it was the perfect strategy.

rusvegashog

This might not be the thread and its probably been talked about ad nauseam, but I haven't been on here since right after the game so here goes. The move(s) Alex Collins made on that TD run before he broke out for the run was as impressive as anything I've seen from a Hog. JWills my guy, but that was some elite vision and footwork by the kid from Florida. M2C

hogsanity

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 15, 2014, 03:55:35 pm

You don't pass when you don't have to, period. After the 1st play of the 3rd Q, a PASS play mind you, there was no need for the ball to ever be put in the air the rest of that game. Had the ball 24 minutes, and had AC not gone for 84 on one play, the Hogs likely would have held the ball longer.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 15, 2014, 04:16:48 pm
This might not be the thread and its probably been talked about ad nauseam, but I haven't been on here since right after the game so here goes. The move(s) Alex Collins made on that TD run before he broke out for the run was as impressive as anything I've seen from a Hog. JWills my guy, but that was some elite vision and footwork by the kid from Florida. M2C

Idk.  The move JW made on the 1st or 2nd TD of the 1st Q was pretty darn good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rusvegashog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 04:18:15 pm
Idk.  The move JW made on the 1st or 2nd TD of the 1st Q was pretty darn good.
No doubt and I've rewound both plays countless times.

hogsanity

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 15, 2014, 04:24:46 pm
No doubt and I've rewound both plays countless times.

They were very different plays, JW made the move in open field, and AC was in traffic. Both were very good.

rickm1976

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 15, 2014, 02:05:45 pm

Nope, I bet they don't throw to him unless they have to.  They will beat N. Illinois with the running game, then HH will have a career day against A&M the following week.

rusvegashog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 04:26:52 pm
They were very different plays, JW made the move in open field, and AC was in traffic. Both were very good.
W/out a doubt and I'm not judging the two plays or backs against each other at all on any level, whatsoever. Only trying to convey how blown away I was with the way Collins was able to navigate the pile and follow his blocks. Just a Beautiful thing.

hogsanity

On the Te question, if you look after the 1st half at Aub, the TE's have not caught many balls at all. Has Derby even had one thrown his way sine then?  Did any TE's catch balls the last two games?

RunHogruN

Was just thinking this as well...

It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 04:46:44 pm
On the Te question, if you look after the 1st half at Aub, the TE's have not caught many balls at all. Has Derby even had one thrown his way sine then?  Did any TE's catch balls the last two games?

Hunter had a nice 20 or so yard catch and run in the Nicholls game.  His time will come.  TE's are like that - they'll go a couple of games with just a catch or two, then break out w/ a big game once we play a team where we can exploit that match up.  Last two games, it has just been too easy to run the ball.

HawgNthaWater

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 15, 2014, 05:06:31 pm
Hunter had a nice 20 or so yard catch and run in the Nicholls game.  His time will come.  TE's are like that - they'll go a couple of games with just a catch or two, then break out w/ a big game once we play a team where we can exploit that match up.  Last two games, it has just been too easy to run the ball.

I completely agree with you here.

The question will become perception of offensive mentality. What happens when KJ, JoJo, Gragg, and Henry are on the field at the same time AC, Jwill, and Korliss are as well??? I want more than anything to have all these players on this team but how do you divide the touches and make these kids focal points? I think CBB and CJC can do it but based our our current talent base and opponents for that matter we haven't seen them show they can up unto this point. How do you react when players choose to go elsewhere if touches become scarce?

"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rickm1976 on September 15, 2014, 04:29:15 pm
Nope, I bet they don't throw to him unless they have to.  They will beat N. Illinois with the running game, then HH will have a career day against A&M the following week.

Highly possible.
This is my non-signature signature.

fakebobholt

Quote from: HawgNthaWater on September 15, 2014, 05:12:31 pm
I completely agree with you here.

The question will become perception of offensive mentality. What happens when KJ, JoJo, Gragg, and Henry are on the field at the same time AC, Jwill, and Korliss are as well??? I want more than anything to have all these players on this team but how do you divide the touches and make these kids focal points? I think CBB and CJC can do it but based our our current talent base and opponents for that matter we haven't seen them show they can up unto this point. How do you react when players choose to go elsewhere if touches become scarce?

smartest post and thinking on the state of our passing game. I realize we didnt have to pass but we are fixing to enter a stretch where we will be forced to.  The passing game is what needs work, only time will tell if we can or have improved.

Iwastherein1969

right now, no one questions Hunter's ability to run fast and precise routes, but NFL scouts do wonder if he can block on the next level...Hunter may not like what he is doing right now, or he might like it, whichever the case, proving he can adequately block at the SEC level will get him into the NFL quicker than running a skinny post for a 20 yard gain for everyone knows Hunter is an offensive machine...Hunter is putting in the hardwork now that will pay off in a couple or 3 years
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

OrvilleRedenporker

What Border Patrol said.

Hogs1234

You people kill me! What razorbacksnum1 is saying is the coaches aren't designing pass plays right now. And you can say all you want about we didn't need to, and I get that. But if we don't ever practice our pass plays in games when we are up on our opponent, ie the TT game, we may struggle with it, ie the Auburn game. We WILL not be able to run at will in our SEC play.
So, in the 4th quarter of the TT game, it would have been nice to see some play action.

Hogs1234

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 15, 2014, 05:39:14 pm
right now, no one questions Hunter's ability to run fast and precise routes, but NFL scouts do wonder if he can block on the next level...Hunter may not like what he is doing right now, or he might like it, whichever the case, proving he can adequately block at the SEC level will get him into the NFL quicker than running a skinny post for a 20 yard gain for everyone knows Hunter is an offensive machine...Hunter is putting in the hardwork now that will pay off in a couple or 3 years

And Amen to that!

Hogs1234, I totally agree with your statement that it would be nice and I believe smart, to practice our passing plays on the OOC teams that we can beat easily with the run.  We should have thrown 40+ times against Nichols State just to learn to pass.  The biggest issue with our passing game is we do not practice and play it when we can and I believe should.  Over looking the finer points of throwing the football will cost us a game or two or three this very season.  There isn't a team n the SEC that can win the Conference without a very good running and passing game, none.  You could say Aubbie last season but their passing game was very precise when needed and it was gone to when needed without it letting them down.  I fear just the opposite for us.

atekido

It was well known after last year Hunter was our only TRUE threat in the passing game in short yardage and even in the long passes because he is the only guy who catches whatever comes to him.    teams have keyed on him.   ntm now that we are going WAY more run heavy he is going to be used to block a lot more.