Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This should not really shock us.....

Started by razorhead5, September 15, 2014, 12:28:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead5

And I believe it to be true. Let's not forget that Petrino recruited Brandon Allen heavily and I know for fact he would not have offered if Brandon's arm was not up to level in the SEC....this could get fun real quick like.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hogg_Phan

Let's all hope. Because we will need it during those two stretches where we face ranked opponents.

GHG/WPS!!
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

hogsanity

My concern with the passing game is not BA, it is the receivers. Can they get open, and can they hold onto the football when it is thrown to them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hollywood_HOGan45

Just wish we had a guy like KJ Hill right now.

SPAL

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 12:32:40 pm
My concern with the passing game is not BA, it is the receivers. Can they get open, and can they hold onto the football when it is thrown to them.
Clearly, CBB thinks so

DOGALUM

He said nothing about our catching/receiving game....just our passing game.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Oklahawg

The WRs have been open. The WRs have caught balls. BA has hit them with pinpoint precision.

The confluence of all three has not happened as often as everyone would like, including CBB. Give it time to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if we air it out a lot vs NIU to build the passing game.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ldfergu

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 15, 2014, 12:33:34 pm

I think by season's end Demetrius Wilson will have some pretty decent numbers for our style of offense.

popcornhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 15, 2014, 12:36:27 pm
The WRs have been open. The WRs have caught balls. BA has hit them with pinpoint precision.

The confluence of all three has not happened as often as everyone would like, including CBB. Give it time to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if we air it out a lot vs NIU to build the passing game.

Exactly.

That being said, I don't expect us to air it out against NIU unless it's necessary.
WPS

PonderinHog

Quote from: popcornhog on September 15, 2014, 12:47:58 pm
Exactly.

That being said, I don't expect us to air it out against NIU unless it's necessary.
In another thread this is pointed out as their primary defensive weakness, so who knows...

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: razorhead5 on September 15, 2014, 12:28:20 pm
And I believe it to be true. Let's not forget that Petrino recruited Brandon Allen heavily and I know for fact he would not have offered if Brandon's arm was not up to level in the SEC....this could get fun real quick like.

I am not doubting what you are selling here....

However I would like to reming you that BA overthrew multiple passes which could have/should have been TDs last Saturday. He got a few chances to show off his arm, and blew them.

lefty08

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 15, 2014, 12:50:39 pm

However I would like to reming you that BA overthrew multiple passes which could have/should have been TDs last Saturday. He got a few chances to show off his arm, and blew them.

And the week before he was hitting guys, and the week before he hit guys in stride.....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

havok

The fact that we haven't seen Korliss Marshall in any Open field, Dinks, Dunks and Isolated in space plays...makes me think there are some interesting things that we haven't shown yet..

1highhog

Quote from: razorhead5 on September 15, 2014, 12:28:20 pm

At this point, I'd put more stock in CBB's eyes of finding and knowing a potentially great QB than Petrinos.  CBB has Coached a Superbowl winning QB, the best Petrino has to offer is Mallett, who was going to come back home anyway once Nuttless left.

The_Iceman

The only bad overthrow was the flea-flicker to Hatcher. The Morgan pass was just a tad off...a little faster WR would have had that. Wilson and Hatcher both tripped on the balls he overthrew to them.

Hog Fan from Camden

^^^^This^^^^^

bigdaddyhawg

From where I'm sitting, it looks to me Brandon's problem is more between his ears than anything else.

He appears to have good to very good arm strength, though not great, but certainly good enough to win in CFB.

But it just seems he stiffens up, or tightens up, when he's got an open receiver.  To me, in all three of the TD's he missed Saturday he did not throw the ball relaxed, but rather tensed up, and that's why he missed those throws.

I think he's doing better at not staring down his receivers.  I think he's got a good grasp of the playbook and seems to execute (except for the throw) the play action.  And he did a good job of keeping composure several times when under pressure.

It just looks like he's still an inexperienced QB often times, and that concerns me greatly.  Perhaps it's a confidence issue, I don't know.

He needs to improve if this team is going to get to that next level.  Hopefully, he will.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 15, 2014, 01:11:09 pm
The Morgan pass was just a tad off...a little faster WR would have had that.

I don't agree that throw was just a tad off.  He had that entire side of the field to lead Drew, to put some air underneath it, and it should have been an easy TD.

Instead he tried to throw it on a rope and that requires perfect accuracy, which he didn't have.

Actually, that same issue applied to the Hatcher overthrow.  He didn't need to throw it that flat, with that much zip.  All he had to just was put more air under it and lead Hatcher to the goal line.  Should have been an easy TD.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PonderinHog

They're different throws, but when he rolls out he seems to be more accurate than when he drops back.  Work-in-progress...  He has improved dramastically over the years.

Been10Hog

Thank goodness! That way we could pound the rock and eat up clock more! Wooo Damn Pig!

hellwonthaveme

There has been no one on here that has been any more critical of Brandon in the past than I have. With that said, I think Brandon last week on the couple of overthrows was he got over anxious because they were so open. I find it hard to come down on him for that because Brandon is growing before our eyes and for us to blame a kid for getting a little over excited is a stretch. And he would have had another completion and TD had Drew Morgan not dropped a sure touchdown.

As I said yesterday, for this team, right now, Brandon is the guy they need.

PRJ

DeltaBoy

Something tells me that CBB is trying to hide his passing until we face TAMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 15, 2014, 01:11:09 pm
The only bad overthrow was the flea-flicker to Hatcher. The Morgan pass was just a tad off...a little faster WR would have had that. Wilson and Hatcher both tripped on the balls he overthrew to them.

Morgan dropped the ball. At this level, he should have caught the ball...

PRJ

Poker_hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2014, 01:31:54 pm
Something tells me that CBB is trying to hide his passing until we face TAMU!

I guess I'm glass half empty.  I suspect he's hiding a weakness rather than a strength.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

alohawg

Sure could have used a passing game @ Auburn.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hoggish1

September 15, 2014, 01:42:20 pm #26 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:55:50 pm by Hoggish1

My concern is BA's touch, not if receivers can get open.  I think BA will learn to just loft it up there with nice touch.  Receivers on PA are just running free in back of the DBs who are being told to get their @sses up there to help in the run game.  BA needs to just relax and let his receivers run under the ball for a score.  Right now he thinks he needs to rifle the ball to them in stride.  No need for that until a real need arises for that kind of throw.

code red

A "tweet" means we have a passing game??  Let's remember...Petrino also made Casey Dick a serviceable Q. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

oldman1015

bingo and can the line protect him?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: oldman1015 on September 15, 2014, 01:44:16 pm
bingo and can the line protect him?

From what I've seen, yeah..... I'm pretty sure they can as long as the receivers run their routes properly and on time. The longer the play lasts, the more likely he gets hit.
This is my non-signature signature.

code red

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 15, 2014, 01:38:12 pm
I guess I'm glass half empty.  I suspect he's hiding a weakness rather than a strength.
I agree he is not hiding a passing game....he is hiding a lack of passing game.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hoggish1

Exactly correct.  With free safeties likely never to be in the picture on PA passes, BA just needs to settle down and throw the ball up there.

cbhawg03

Quote from: havok on September 15, 2014, 01:00:07 pm
The fact that we haven't seen Korliss Marshall in any Open field, Dinks, Dunks and Isolated in space plays...makes me think there are some interesting things that we haven't shown yet..

This. I rather see Marshall over Hatcher getting the end-around

PorkSoda

I just hope our recent success transfers to conference play.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 15, 2014, 01:58:46 pm
I just hope our recent success transfers to conference play.

Confidence is a BIG deal.  We need some swagger going into TAMU. 

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Fillmore Slim

To be fair to BA, the throw to Morgan in the EZ was on the money.  Morgan should have had it, but it went right through his hands. As for the overthrow, I think he was a victim of the west Texas wind.  That pass was in the same direction as all the kickoffs that went through the EZ, and it just carried more than he thought it would.  I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB, but I thought he did a nice job Saturday.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 15, 2014, 12:36:27 pm

I imagine going into every week with no practice and taking shots just to be able to throw greatly limits some of the benefits of game experience. I expect the passing game to steadily progress the more these receivers are on the field with a healthy Brandon Allen.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on September 15, 2014, 01:29:08 pm
There has been no one on here that has been any more critical of Brandon in the past than I have. With that said, I think Brandon last week on the couple of overthrows was he got over anxious because they were so open. I find it hard to come down on him for that because Brandon is growing before our eyes and for us to blame a kid for getting a little over excited is a stretch. And he would have had another completion and TD had Drew Morgan not dropped a sure touchdown.

As I said yesterday, for this team, right now, Brandon is the guy they need.

PRJ
Reminds me a lot of how we saw TW grow up before our very eyes after RM moved on to the NFL.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

New people that show up just to be negative are obvious trolls and do not last long.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 15, 2014, 12:49:15 pm
In another thread this is pointed out as their primary defensive weakness, so who knows...

Nicholls State is the only team on our schedule with a worse pass defense than NIU. I would not be surprised if Allen threw for 200.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I don't know about 'the best kept secret' and all that, but I know this, the two times where we HAD to pass to convert a mid/long 3rd down vs TT we did it and both timed got first downs.

RyanLR

From the NIU board: Arkansas is never going to feel comfortable throwing it. They've thrown the ball like 57 times and are completing less than 55% for 140 yards a game. My high school throws for that much.

People need to stop referencing niu got lit up by Davis and applying it to this game. Davis is better than any WR on Arkansas roster.

NIU better put 10 guys in the box, because this team can run. They don't need to throw the ball because they run so well. There are multiple reasons they don't throw.

1. Cuz they're damn good at running it down your throat
2. Bielema doesn't want to throw
3. They don't have the weapons in the pass game

If Arkansas is throwing it's because they're uncomfortable and NIU is being highly successful on offense and stopping the run.

Let's use some logic, people.
Logic would say they don't throw because they don't have to. Hence, they only throw on obvious throwing downs and therefore have a lower completion percentage. Don't need bubble screens and higher % passes with that kind of running game.

Yet, you say they should feel confident on passing.

Their QB has a a career 20-14 int ratio, that's horrible. Their top two receivers, which apparently you think are like UNLVs Davis have a combined 600 yards and 6 TDs.

They don't have the weapons to throw!!!

I also said they don't throw because of two other things. Excellent ground game and coach that wants to run.They're a two WR and at least one tight end type of offense. They have a bad percentage because one the QB isn't good and they only throw on 3rd down.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-703451-page-2.html

chitwnhog

Did he or were those timing patterns and the WR didn't get there? Do you know for certain?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 15, 2014, 12:33:34 pm

We do, but he is hurt, his name is Jojo.

Morgan was laid out horz on that pass play and yes it did touch his hands.  Want to bet its the first time Morgan or BA has had that exact opportunity, period.  To make those catches, actual catches, you must practice them.  I bet we don't.  BA was off on that throw about 2 feet and Morgan couldn't make enough horz reach to get there.  BA throwed the wrong type pass on the deep ball to the receiver, not enough air under the ball.  If BA floats that, its a TD.  It takes unlimited practice to be good a any phase of football and we just haven't practiced the passing game enough to have the timing, footwork and ball control down to millimeters, not yards.  I don't know if we have any WRs than are really good or if we have a QB that can pass really good.  There isn't enough work product to make a valued decision.

98hogs

They proven they can get open.  HAUL IT IN!!!

Tusks

CS was 26 TD 8 Int in 98.  Let's see where BA ends up compared to that.

After 3 games BA is 6 TD 1 int.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on September 15, 2014, 03:15:00 pm
Morgan was laid out horz on that pass play and yes it did touch his hands.  Want to bet its the first time Morgan or BA has had that exact opportunity, period.  To make those catches, actual catches, you must practice them.  I bet we don't.  BA was off on that throw about 2 feet and Morgan couldn't make enough horz reach to get there.  BA throwed the wrong type pass on the deep ball to the receiver, not enough air under the ball.  If BA floats that, its a TD.  It takes unlimited practice to be good a any phase of football and we just haven't practiced the passing game enough to have the timing, footwork and ball control down to millimeters, not yards.  I don't know if we have any WRs than are really good or if we have a QB that can pass really good.  There isn't enough work product to make a valued decision.

I'm pretty sure we don't even air the football's up for practice, just hand off and block......NIU will have a defense, Bielema said that today in the PC, we'll have to throw it, probably 20-25 times on Saturday, just wait.

Dominicanhog

Has BA ever in his Razorback career hit the bomb over the top?  Not saying that he hasn't and  not saying it's all his fault, but I've seen him throw deep at least 10-12 times with open receivers, the last 15 games or so and can not remember a single completion. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 15, 2014, 03:47:25 pm
Has BA ever in his Razorback career hit the bomb over the top?  Not saying that he hasn't and  not saying it's all his fault, but I've seen him throw deep at least 10-12 times with open receivers, the last 15 games or so and can not remember a single completion. 

One of his very 1st passes in 2012 was a long go route to McKay.  And I can think of at least three that he hit receivers right in the hands, in stride, and they dropped it. Hatcher against Aub being the latest. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE