Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tackling

Started by ChitownHawg, September 15, 2014, 11:52:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Kliff K said they don't take anyone to the ground during practice and no does. We don't tackle to the ground? I thought we did.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DallasHogFan

It's not a rule, their defense just can't seem to tackle anyone.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

snoblind

We probably did some back during fall camp, but wouldn't surprise me if that stops once the season starts.

Jackrabbit Hog

TTU may have been the worst tacking big conference team I've ever seen.  I'd like to think part of that was because of our running game, but I suspect it was a little of both.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bigdaddyhawg

I'm not concerned with TTU's tackling.  But I am concerned with ours.

That is the biggest negative from Saturday's game was our tackling.  It really needs to improve and by TAMU if we are going to be competitive going forward.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ChitownHawg

Quote from: snoblind on September 15, 2014, 01:03:27 pm
We probably did some back during fall camp, but wouldn't surprise me if that stops once the season starts.

Thanks as you are the only one really trying to answer my question. I understand the risk involved in taking someone to the ground, but how else do you learn to tackle? How to be physical?

That one play where we knocked the wind out of their player surely cannot be learned from "not taking them to the ground"?

Thanks for the answer Sno.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 01:13:07 pm

That is the biggest negative from Saturday's game was our tackling.  It really needs to improve and by TAMU if we are going to be competitive going forward.

I'm not concerned with TT either. But their bad tackling reminded me a lot of us over the past few years. It is well documented the previous coaches were offensive minded and practices hamstrung our defense.  (probably what has happened to TT with Kliff as their head coach)

But I thought that had changed when CBB brought his physical style to the Hill. And is where my question is rooted - does CBB allow bringing them to the ground? Probably the only ones who can answer this are the ones who attended our practices.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 01:13:07 pm

For the most part, the poor tackling I've seen is a result of over pursuit, which tends to happen when playing spread offenses that stretch the field horizontally.

jm

Sometimes poor tackling is really more of poor tackler either isn't quick enough or strong enough to match the ball carriers talent.  More practice will not change that.

snoblind

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2014, 01:44:48 pm
Thanks as you are the only one really trying to answer my question. I understand the risk involved in taking someone to the ground, but how else do you learn to tackle? How to be physical?

That one play where we knocked the wind out of their player surely cannot be learned from "not taking them to the ground"?

Thanks for the answer Sno.

I agree.  My answer is mostly based on a couple of articles I read over the past few years saying teams just don't do it like they once did because of the injury risk.  With practices closed not sure the sports writers can answer about the Hogs.

I played high school ball back in the 70's and even then I seem to recall tackling to the ground was limited to fall camp unless we really screwed up on Friday.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 15, 2014, 01:52:34 pm
For the most part, the poor tackling I've seen is a result of over pursuit, which tends to happen when playing spread offenses that stretch the field horizontally.

I agree, but a very big part of tackling is arriving at the point of contact under control.  And NOT doing that is certainly a part of bad tackling.

Now, I am willing to give some of that a pass as our guys were certainly busting their tails to get to the ball carrier, but there has to be a balance in there.

But, having said that, they had jitter bug type RB's/WR's, and those guys are usually pretty hard to tackle.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HogScoutMaster

I've seen better tackling in the LFL !
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."