Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs trending "big"

Started by Maximus Tusk, September 15, 2014, 11:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwash

All they had to do was show Jeff Long for a few seconds to introduce him, then continue the narrative but with the cameras focused on the game instead of the interview.  Then show his face for a few seconds at the end to say "Thank you for your time Jeff Long".  Problem solved.  And it is very good expsoure for the U of A.

Smokehouse

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 12:04:02 pm
I too wanted him to get off my TV screen so I could see the play. 

But those interviews are GOOD for the UA.  It's fantastic exposure, reminding everyone watching the premier role Jeff Long, our AD, has in the very first year of CFB playoffs.

It's good that he's who he is.  He's good at those things, and he's doing a fantastic job already in his role as chair of that committee.

This.

Having him on for almost an entire drive was the fault of the production, not Long's. What's he supposed to do, just walk away halfway through an interview? We'd get some great press for that...

Yes, the questions are always the same. It's not much different from "coach, what are you going to do to come back from this deficit" or "coach, what are you going to do to build on this lead?" nonsense that gets asked on the sideline. Sidelines interviews are generally worthless.

But at least this promotes the Hog brand in association with the biggest news in college football (and without this, we'd be nowhere in that discussion except as a footnote on someone else's story). It reaches a different audience every week; us Hog fans are the only ones tuning into every game. So you have to spend a minute out of 2-3 hours of game coverage to listen to some questions you've already heard. Big deal.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgwash on September 15, 2014, 01:48:59 pm
All they had to do was show Jeff Long for a few seconds to introduce him, then continue the narrative but with the cameras focused on the game instead of the interview.  Then show his face for a few seconds at the end to say "Thank you for your time Jeff Long".  Problem solved.  And it is very good expsoure for the U of A.
This, exactly.

HamIAm

Its been beat to death. Anyone who cares about football already knows everything they are talking about. Its not what we tuned into the game for.

(notOM)Rebel123

Regarding "1st and Long"....what did we get penalized for to make it more than "1st & 10"?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

Long has worked very hard to rebuild the Arkansas image and coming from someone outside of the state, it was complete trash after JFB, JW, Gus, HDN and the psycho fans.  BP did not do us any favors either.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgwash on September 15, 2014, 01:48:59 pm

Bingo.  I'm all about Jeff and the exposure.  Just let me watch the game while it's happening. 

MissippHog

I know we're mired in a big Jeff Long discussion once again......but, back to the OP's original statement.  I have heard the Hogs mentioned in a positive light more today than the previous 2 seasons combined by all the talking heads. 

HogRedTilImDead

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 15, 2014, 12:04:21 pm
Get used to it. He is the head man for the shiny new College Football Playoff. I'm sure he is required by the CFP board to go out there, get on TV and promote the brand. It will be hot and heavy throughout the first year as all of the ABC's, CBS's and ESPN's want to get their chance to get questions in... but will taper off once we get a season under out belts.
^^^^ THIS.
  He is required by the board which he is chairperson of, to perform these interviews to a certain degree. Most likely contractually obligated. He Has no choice in the matter. Do you expect him to say "Greg from Hogville doesn't like these segments so I cannot fulfill my job role. Sorry." I may not be 100% accurate on this assumption, but I would bet it is pretty close to the reasoning behind an JL interview at every Hogs game. Besides, I would much rather hear him than these lame brained commentators. Wisconsin wins!! Erm... Hogs win...
GO HOGS!!

NVRyield

I tell you what I hate.... there's a good OP and others derail a thread because "our" AD is being interviewed in a positive light.  And get used to them cutting in for any kind of interview or game updates over the next few seasons.  That's what they do when a team is dominating the other.  Watch a Bama game.  It's a good thing.  At this point I'll tie this back to the op.  Our line is fun to watch.  I actually loved watching Wisconsin back a few years ago...I ran into the team at a hotel I was staying at (they were in a bowl game) and had mammoth linemen.  It's nice we're the team with that trait now. 
I said in another thread, one of his teams averaged 6'8" (maybe not the center).  They talked about how he recruited guys that played bball, were athletic and had good bend. 
We have that team now!  They were fun to watch and as a former Oliner I dreamed of having that style of offense.  The big Hogs are coming boys and we already have a few on campus :razorback:

Mike_e

When the committee actually starts meeting we'll begin to see more of the members being interviewed.

In the meantime it's time to make hay as the OP alluded to.

btw LZH, you haven't told the old lady yet?  Waitin for her to go runnin to Ponderin is called a baited trap ya know.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

LZH

Quote from: Mike_e on September 15, 2014, 04:34:39 pmbtw LZH, you haven't told the old lady yet?  Waitin for her to go runnin to Ponderin is called a baited trap ya know.

Hey man, don't blow my plan.

Michael D Huff AIA

Whatever the Hogs can do to put the focus on their GOOD play versus drama from the past or getting waxed 50-0 is alright by me.  They're not talking about phone records, motorcycles, affairs, smiling, golden parachutes or coaches that never were our head coach.

I like the fact that Long is the chairman of that committee.  It gives us exposure AND shows that our athletic department is run by a man that has enough respect nationally to be chosen to chair the first-of-its-kind tournament that decides our national champion.

As long as people are talking about us for the right reasons, I'm all in.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: deedster84 on September 15, 2014, 12:53:26 pm
Back to the OPs post. It almost sounded like the announcers were recruiting for us. They were amazed that BB had put so many linemen in the NFL. You know that has to get the attention of kids with those dreams. And ya throw in Pittman's record of doing it too, I expect us to only get better on the line.
I totally agree about the announcers and the "recruiting for us" aspect. Can't recall the last time "talking heads" covering the Hogs gushed as much about what CBB is doing, why he left Wiskey to come to us, and even made last year's grueling hell more reasonable to understand when reminding folks about the disaster Bret inherited from JLS. I thought they did a wonderful job putting things in perspective and despite the continued confusion with UW it was the type good press that money can't buy.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on September 15, 2014, 12:04:41 pm
You guys are aware that there has been a small change made to the end of the college football season right? I know it's just one more game, but I think most people believe it to be kind of a big deal. You are also aware that there is a committee involved with that yeah? Let me just run this by you so that you will be caught up next time you are wondering why they would want to talk to Jeff Long. Yeah he is the first person elected to oversee this committee. It is a big deal.

They need to pay better attention to the DR Pepper commercial, that guy will educate them if they listen.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"