Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs trending "big"

Started by Maximus Tusk, September 15, 2014, 11:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Tusk

I'm one of those who believe football is won or lost in the trenches. Coach B has a reputation for developing NFL type linemen and we're seeing the recruitment of those type guys playing out right now. It's awesome to listen to the pundits on ESPN, SEC network and announcers like Brent Mussberger talk about our O line. I've heard mentioned many times that our line is not just the biggest in CFB but all of football, including NFL. They also remind viewers often how many O linemen Coach B has put into the league. This kind of chatter along with the positive perception of our head coach and AD (has anyone else noticed how much Jeff Long is respected nationally?) can only help in recruiting. We have a long way to go but I'm definitely on board with how coach B is building this program. One more thing...at some point, I actually expect to see some poor defensive lineman pee his pants when he looks up and sees number 76 in front of him. 

PorkRinds

I'm a Long fan, but I'm really sick of him interviewing during every game.  I'm sure the stations want him, but seriously, dial it back.  You're right about the Oline getting some serious respect.  It can't do anything but help.

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2014, 11:30:01 am
I'm a Long fan, but I'm really sick of him interviewing during every game.  I'm sure the stations want him, but seriously, dial it back.  You're right about the Oline getting some serious respect.  It can't do anything but help.
Kinda sick of "1st and Long" during pregame.  Our pregame is too long and full of a bunch of stuffed shirt material.  Like to hear some live from the parking lot stuff.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

SuperHog32

Quote from: code red on September 15, 2014, 11:33:35 am
Kinda sick of "1st and Long" during pregame.  Our pregame is too long and full of a bunch of stuffed shirt material.  Like to hear some live from the parking lot stuff.

yeah, because Joe from Greenwood drunk off his butt talking about "cookin' up a win for arkiesaw" is exactly what we need to hear in the pregame show. smdh

Sir Oinksalot

...good stuff OP, this is somewhat my take as well, we are slowly moving in a positive direction and with all the positive stuff off the field
adding to it (classroom recruiting clean livin), it's coming together on the field, and getting noticed...

...not to say we are there but the coaches, the players and everyone connected with the program are focused
and working very hard in the same direction.....BA hopefully is emerging and the defense is looking better...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

BorderPatrol

Don't listen. Or listen closer to game time. I believe that segment is usually pretty early in the pregame show, if you dont want to hear it, tune in later.

Just seems like a silly thing to be "sick of".

bp

Pigdiana Jones

I can't stand Long, and I can't stand that they have to interview him every week. It's ridiculous.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on September 15, 2014, 11:43:55 am
I can't stand Long, and I can't stand that they have to interview him every week. It's ridiculous.

I like him, I just don't like hearing the same questions over and over and over DURING the game!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Maximus Tusk on September 15, 2014, 11:24:35 am
I'm one of those who believe football is won or lost in the trenches. Coach B has a reputation for developing NFL type linemen and we're seeing the recruitment of those type guys playing out right now. It's awesome to listen to the pundits on ESPN, SEC network and announcers like Brent Mussberger talk about our O line. I've heard mentioned many times that our line is not just the biggest in CFB but all of football, including NFL. They also remind viewers often how many O linemen Coach B has put into the league. This kind of chatter along with the positive perception of our head coach and AD (has anyone else noticed how much Jeff Long is respected nationally?) can only help in recruiting. We have a long way to go but I'm definitely on board with how coach B is building this program. One more thing...at some point, I actually expect to see some poor defensive lineman pee his pants when he looks up and sees number 76 in front of him. 
Bingo, right on the money. there is a reason we might have the best OL in the country. we started 1 Five star.(Brey Cook)3 four stars(Kirkland,Smothers and Tretola)and a high 3 star (Dan Skipper)who may be the best of all. recruiting matters. this OL can be not just good. but special.

DOGALUM

Gonna have to deal with it.   Head of the committee in the playoff's first year.........no way around it.   I think he represents well.  Doesn't come across as a stuffed shirt AD.....comes across as a professional but still a fan of his school.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hogsanity

Our pregame is too long

I remember in 2003 I was driving to FLA in Sept, and turned on the radio and picked up the Bama pre-game at like 1pm.  Listened for a while thinking it was a 2pm kickoff.  Nope, kickoff was still 5+hrs away.  I thought to myself, how can you fill a 5 or 6 hr pre game, and what kind of person would listen to a 5 or 6 hr pre game. Back then I think the Hog pre game was either 60 or 90 minutes, which is a long as any pre game should ever be.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 15, 2014, 11:50:17 am
Gonna have to deal with it.   Head of the committee in the playoff's first year.........no way around it.   I think he represents well.  Doesn't come across as a stuffed shirt AD.....comes across as a professional but still a fan of his school.
I agree with that.  I understand WHY he does it, but at what point does it stop?  I'm sure every channel wants the interview, and it's good press, but it's the same questions over and over. 

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2014, 11:46:13 am
I like him, I just don't like hearing the same questions over and over and over DURING the game!
With him being the head man in the CFB playoff this year I wouldn't expect his interviews to decrease any... I don't care to hear him either but given his role I expect this to be common place at least this year.

Ex-Trumpet

This.  Nobody watching the game wants to see JL/game split screened!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

LZH

I do too.  But to be fair, at some point it starts to look like he's interviewing for a bigger gig or a commissioner's job or something.  Fwiw I know he's turned down some great opportunities, and I am glad he's still here.

Maximus Tusk

I doesn't matter what we think of him here. The way he handled the Petrino situation has commanded much respect on the national stage. I personally like him and the way he represents The University of Arkansas. It's important to understand how much positive press and exposure means to the program.

98hogs

One more thing...at some point, I actually expect to see some poor defensive lineman pee his pants when he looks up and sees number 76 in front of him. 
[/quote]  +1

DOGALUM

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 15, 2014, 11:52:21 am
This.  Nobody watching the game wants to see JL/game split screened!
Not to derail the thread.....but I was absolutely cursing the TV folks.   The production was insane.   I don't know how many times we would be lining up to run a play......and somebody/something else was on the screen.....only to have the screen switch back to the play right at the snap or right after.  I couldn't care less about getting a 15 second face shot of Tech's d-coord.   Don't show me fans when the teams are on the ball.  Get the stats off the screen when my QB is adjusting the formation.   It drove me absolutely bonkers.   (which just made me even more angry at the horrible officiating in the first quarter......surely I'm not the only one who saw the blatant hold on Tech's first TD?   And I'm not a "blame the refs guy.....just the bad production mixed with the bad officiating......got me flustered for awhile)

Sorry.......thread back on track......yep.....we are big!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

bigdaddyhawg

I too wanted him to get off my TV screen so I could see the play. 

But those interviews are GOOD for the UA.  It's fantastic exposure, reminding everyone watching the premier role Jeff Long, our AD, has in the very first year of CFB playoffs.

It's good that he's who he is.  He's good at those things, and he's doing a fantastic job already in his role as chair of that committee.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

FraggleHog

Get used to it. He is the head man for the shiny new College Football Playoff. I'm sure he is required by the CFP board to go out there, get on TV and promote the brand. It will be hot and heavy throughout the first year as all of the ABC's, CBS's and ESPN's want to get their chance to get questions in... but will taper off once we get a season under out belts.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

1highhog

I can't quite grasp why Razorback fans don't like Long.  He's viewed simply as one of if not the best AD in the Country.  We wouldn't have all of the new building projects going on right now without him.  We'd still be stuck with Petrino without him, that's why he's garnered so much respect around the Nation is because of the way he handled that situation, he did what was best and we upgraded, if you don't think so, you will in a couple of years when we actually have a team filled with depth on both sides of the ball and filled not with low ranked players but players that will be drafted high in the NFL, teams that will vie for and SEC Title, something we never came close to under Petrino.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: LZH on September 15, 2014, 11:56:22 am
I do too.  But to be fair, at some point it starts to look like he's interviewing for a bigger gig or a commissioner's job or something.  Fwiw I know he's turned down some great opportunities, and I am glad he's still here.

You guys are aware that there has been a small change made to the end of the college football season right? I know it's just one more game, but I think most people believe it to be kind of a big deal. You are also aware that there is a committee involved with that yeah? Let me just run this by you so that you will be caught up next time you are wondering why they would want to talk to Jeff Long. Yeah he is the first person elected to oversee this committee. It is a big deal.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

FraggleHog

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on September 15, 2014, 12:04:41 pm
You guys are aware that there has been a small change made to the end of the college football season right? I know it's just one more game, but I think most people believe it to be kind of a big deal. You are also aware that there is a committee involved with that yeah? Let me just run this by you so that you will be caught up next time you are wondering why they would want to talk to Jeff Long. Yeah he is the first person elected to oversee this committee. It is a big deal.

Exactly what I said in a different way... haha
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Biggus Piggus

Better get used to it. Long is chairman of The Committee. TV people care more about that than they do about telling us what's going on in the football game.

The sideline reporter grabbed Long because he was standing down the with the football team. I wish he could put off those interviews for halftime -- only they don't have much time for that anymore. Remember when they used to show the band?
[CENSORED]!

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 15, 2014, 12:06:03 pm
Exactly what I said in a different way... haha

hahah yeah by the time I put my post together it said I had "4 replies". All four said the same thing!! I swear I showed up to the party on time.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on September 15, 2014, 12:09:12 pm
hahah yeah by the time I put my post together it said I had "4 replies". All four said the same thing!! I swear I showed up to the party on time.

That's why I never bring chips!  Beer is always welcome!!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

dynastyhog

Quote from: 1highhog on September 15, 2014, 12:04:21 pm
I can't quite grasp why Razorback fans don't like Long. 

Unfortunately, not everyone has moved past the Civil War.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

trippigs

I agree with Maximus Tusk.....all this is good. Folks should appreciate and enjoy the good press.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: dynastyhog on September 15, 2014, 12:10:11 pm
Unfortunately, not everyone has moved past the Civil War.

Damn yankee!!!

BrianWPS!!

One of the best Ads in the country and the networks are still interested in the brand new playoff system so its only natural that they interview the HEAD guy of that committee.  He represents Arkansas so well so if he gets 2,3,or 4 interviews a game, then he damn well deserves it for what he has done with our athletic program.  Any bit he gets on national television bodes well for us because on his jacket usually sits a proud hog pin beside a razorback red tie. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on September 15, 2014, 12:12:23 pm
One of the best Ads in the country and the networks are still interested in the brand new playoff system so its only natural that they interview the HEAD guy of that committee.  He represents Arkansas so well so if he gets 2,3,or 4 interviews a game, then he damn well deserves it for what he has done with our athletic program.  Any bit he gets on national television bodes well for us because on his jacket usually sits a proud hog pin beside a razorback red tie.

Standby for shot.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Quote from: trippigs on September 15, 2014, 12:12:01 pm
I agree with Maximus Tusk.....all this is good. Folks should appreciate and enjoy the good press.

I like Jeff, and appreciate the press.  I just wish his interviews would be during halftime, or something similar.  I'd rather watch the game during the game.  Guys it's not like I'm unaware of his position on the CFP committee, I just want to watch the game when it's going on.  On Saturday I saw our guys lining up to run a play BEHIND the interview.  That's my point.  Let me watch the game first, and let the other stuff be secondary.

Torqued pork

It's the first year for the playoff. It's a pretty big deal.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Actually, it's two more games:

Was -- 1 v 2 = 1 game

Will be -- 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 followed by winner of each v each other = 3 games.

Minor correction.

EFBAB

hogsanity

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 15, 2014, 12:19:59 pm

Was -- 1 v 2 = 1 game

Minor correction.

EFBAB

Actually its not, because they are just using two of the 6 major bowl as the semi-finals. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OTTER

Ya want to see the pot get stirred big time, just have Long refuse to do one of these interviews!  It would be bad press for the playoff and bad press for us.  Cool your jets folks, right now, at least from the mind set of the networks, this is "must see TV.  I would bet Jeff is getting a bit tired of the dog and pony show too.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

LZH

I was completely unaware of this.

1highhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 15, 2014, 12:06:20 pm
Better get used to it. Long is chairman of The Committee. TV people care more about that than they do about telling us what's going on in the football game.

The sideline reporter grabbed Long because he was standing down the with the football team. I wish he could put off those interviews for halftime -- only they don't have much time for that anymore. Remember when they used to show the band?

Exactly. What I was saying in my post Biggus.  Why people hate Long is beyond me.  He's considered the best AD in College.  When he's down standing with the Team, they're going to try and grab him, but he's down there with the team instead of being aloof sitting in a Skybox somewhere not watching the game and just socializing.  The man has accomplished a great deal since being here.  People said that when Broyles retired, so would the contributions to the program, while in fact, they've tripled.  Long has started an unprecedented building campaign that is unmatched facility wise in all of College Sports.  I'm talking every sport, not just football.

deedster84

Back to the OPs post. It almost sounded like the announcers were recruiting for us. They were amazed that BB had put so many linemen in the NFL. You know that has to get the attention of kids with those dreams. And ya throw in Pittman's record of doing it too, I expect us to only get better on the line.

PonderinHog

LZH

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 15, 2014, 01:01:59 pm
I'm afraid she wouldn't let me back in.
Maybe it's time to get your own place.

sickboy

Quote from: 1highhog on September 15, 2014, 12:04:21 pm
I can't quite grasp why Razorback fans don't like Long.  He's viewed simply as one of if not the best AD in the Country.  We wouldn't have all of the new building projects going on right now without him.  We'd still be stuck with Petrino without him, that's why he's garnered so much respect around the Nation is because of the way he handled that situation, he did what was best and we upgraded, if you don't think so, you will in a couple of years when we actually have a team filled with depth on both sides of the ball and filled not with low ranked players but players that will be drafted high in the NFL, teams that will vie for and SEC Title, something we never came close to under Petrino.

People just need something to complain about. Anyone in their right mind can see that Long has done a fantastic job. Look at it this way...

How many ADs can you name in the country? I'd be willing to bet most fans across the country couldn't name more than two.

Now... how many college football fans in the country know who Jeff Long is? I'd be willing to bet a good portion of SEC fans and a large number of college football fans in general could.

When people know who your AD is... they're either doing a FANTASTIC job or a TERRIBLE job... and you don't get asked to be the head of the new playoff committee if you're not doing a good job.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 15, 2014, 01:06:40 pm
Maybe it's time to get your own place.

Well it's obvious that ya'll have been talking.

1highhog

Quote from: sickboy on September 15, 2014, 01:13:00 pm
People just need something to complain about. Anyone in their right mind can see that Long has done a fantastic job. Look at it this way...

How many ADs can you name in the country? I'd be willing to bet most fans across the country couldn't name more than two.

Now... how many college football fans in the country know who Jeff Long is? I'd be willing to bet a good portion of SEC fans and a large number of college football fans in general could.

When people know who your AD is... they're either doing a FANTASTIC job or a TERRIBLE job... and you don't get asked to be the head of the new playoff committee if you're not doing a good job.

Exactly.  Off the top of my head I can only name 4.  Some of that is due to Schools being interested in wanting Long and him staying here, and them having to turn elsewhere.  One of them being Texas, although they then denied they offered him because they couldn't handle the fact of someone wanting to stay at Arkansas and not wanting to pack their bags for The Orange wasteland of Texas.

Been10Hog

Thank you!!! The idiots above seem to think Jeff Long is asking ABC, CBS, ESPN to let him talk on air. They ask him for the interviews and then ask the same stupid questions. If one more sideline reporter asks JL during a game what "the process" for the selection committee is I'm going to scream! But, is JL as selection committee chairman supposed to say "no" when asked for an interview? Seriously! Get off JL and shut the heck up!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 15, 2014, 12:19:59 pm

Was -- 1 v 2 = 1 game

Minor correction.

EFBAB
Actually, it is just one extra game.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

DeltaBoy

When Jeff comes on the screen I hit the MUTE button ! Problem solved.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Maximus Tusk on September 15, 2014, 11:24:35 am

When you have to play Arkansas you are going to be mighty banged up after the game with us.  It' the way football should be played.

HUNH teams are not going to having fun vs the Hogs when we get the D pieces to the puzzle in place.

Skill players are going to flock to this program as a result of our O-line!