Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robken Retirement

Started by Hawgdrummer7, September 15, 2014, 11:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgdrummer7

Effective at the end of this year, Jim Robken is officially retiring from the band directing world. He has taught at the collegiate level at both of his alma maters, but is having health issues and has decided that it is time. According to his facebook, though, he plans on making the most of it! This saddens me deeply, as my parents, alumni from some of his first Hogwild "Sound of Red" Band, still speak very highly of him. If y'all are the type, please put him and his family in your prayers. I figured jump ball would want to know about it.
Woo Pig Drum

JaxFlaRazorback

I've known Jim since Junior High and he'll always be one of my favorite people.

Hogeration

I would love for the UofA to honor him in some way during halftime or even pre game before some big game. 

HawgWild

I'd like to see him lead the band in The William Tell Overture one more time while he ran around the arena. Always enjoyed his band while at UAF.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HawgWild on September 15, 2014, 04:05:55 pm
I'd like to see him lead the band in The William Tell Overture one more time while he ran around the arena. Always enjoyed his band while at UAF.
Seems fitting.

mhuff

Quote from: Hogeration on September 15, 2014, 04:01:22 pm
I would love for the UofA to honor him in some way during halftime or even pre game before some big game. 

Oklahawg

An honor is in order.

I have fond memories of my time with Jim.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Porked Tongue

I believe you will see Robken at another basketball game if his health holds.

Mick Hogger

That's good to hear that we may get to see him again. I know people like to take shots at him but he's part of my memories of why I fell in love with Razorback basketball. He could raise that crowd to a deafening roar and we've never had anyone come close to him since.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Calling All Hogs

September 18, 2014, 09:44:51 am #9 Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:27:34 pm by Calling All Hogs
Thanks for all the joy you have given me during Hawg BB games!

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Mick Hogger on September 18, 2014, 08:45:05 am
That's good to hear that we may get to see him again. I know people like to take shots at him but he's part of my memories of why I fell in love with Razorback basketball. He could raise that crowd to a deafening roar and we've never had anyone come close to him since.

You're right, no one will ever get the crowd going like Jim did.  I think either the NCAA or the School either one got rid of the noise o meter, which really helped bring such a fever pitch to the atmosphere as well, anyone remember how that all played out?  Anyway, I don't think the UofA could ever find someone who could duplicate hat Robken did, he could wear you out just watching him run, even the old people got into it.  There will never be a place as loud as Barn hill, it wax built for basketball, finally that is.  If you were one of the lucky ones to get a ticket to a game there, count yourself as special, because you were apart of something special that'll never be seen again.

hawgtime

Quote from: Hawgdrummer7 on September 15, 2014, 11:17:56 am
Effective at the end of this year, Jim Robken is officially retiring from the band directing world. He has taught at the collegiate level at both of his alma maters, but is having health issues and has decided that it is time. According to his facebook, though, he plans on making the most of it! This saddens me deeply, as my parents, alumni from some of his first Hogwild "Sound of Red" Band, still speak very highly of him. If y'all are the type, please put him and his family in your prayers. I figured jump ball would want to know about it.

I played for him at the U of A. He was the best director and the most infectious I have EVER been around.  (hawgball shuffle - terrible song but he made it fun.)

Danny J

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 18, 2014, 09:44:51 am
Thank for all the joy you have given me during Hawg BB games!
No doubt....things haven't been the same

k.c.hawg

Went to 100's of home games, tournament games when he was the band director. The atmosphere he created at pep rally's on the road at tournaments was what got me hooked on going on the road for tournaments!!! Love you Jim!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hog1983

Thanks Jim for making my four years of going to Barnhill a pure joy!  Even though my student seats were high up in the rafters he could always find his way up there.

oldrazorband

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 17, 2014, 10:03:30 pm
An honor is in order.

I have fond memories of my time with Jim.

I do as well.  I can't remember some of my memories with Jim though!

thirrdegreetusker

He helped build the Arkansas basketball tradition in the 70s and 80s. No question.

Had a great feel for when to play what song. Just the right guy in the right place at the right time.

Seriously, such an important part of the Barnhill atmosphere, I am surprised some other serious basketball school did not lure/recruit him away.

Ironhawg

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on September 18, 2014, 02:33:20 pm
There will never be a place as loud as Barn hill, it wax built for basketball, finally that is.  If you were one of the lucky ones to get a ticket to a game there, count yourself as special, because you were apart of something special that'll never be seen again.

You are dead on about it being loud.  I went to a game against TCU I think when Eddie was coach and when I left it had been so loud my ears were ringing.