Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improvement in the secondary

Started by Maximus Tusk, September 15, 2014, 09:11:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Tusk

For me,the most satisfying part of Saturday's win was seeing an aggressive, ball hawking secondary and linebackers. The return of Tevin Mitchell is big and what we saw in 2 true freshmen Toliver and Liddell is downright exciting!! These 2 guys can ball and they have SEC size as well (both at 6' 1") I was impressed with their coverage, how they looked for the ball and the determination to intercept, not just break up the pass. Hats off to the staff for their recruiting efforts. We're getting a snapshot of what the future will look like and me likey.

hobhog

Still too early to get real excited, but I agree. I saw 2 true freshman break on balls like I havent seen around here in a while. And they appear to have good size. Think we find out more in the next few games, but already an improvement, no doubt.

greenie

I'd much rather see them press and get burned.  That 10 yard cushion approach had to go.

The TT game certainly showed evidence of a more aggressive/attacking defense.  Certainly not there, but the trend is encouraging. 

tampahog

We probably had more broken up passes in that game than all of last year.  Webb did throw some floaters but still a much improved and aggressive effort by secondary

hogsanity

I'm reserving judgment on the db's.  They did play well Saturday, but they could lay back in zone coverage because their was no real threat from a running QB. Just like on the INT late in the 2nd Q. If their QB was a threat to run, would our LB have been able to take a 15 yard drop and pick that off?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenie

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 09:31:19 am
I'm reserving judgment on the db's.  They did play well Saturday, but they could lay back in zone coverage because their was no real threat from a running QB. Just like on the INT late in the 2nd Q. If their QB was a threat to run, would our LB have been able to take a 15 yard drop and pick that off?

This is a good point.  Webb is not a bad passer, but he is not a running threat. A lot of things change when you have a dual threat guy back there.  The Dline have to contain and the LB's have to linger closer to the LOS.  We have several teams yet on the schedule with QB's that can leave the pocket and get 1st downs.  I don't know much about NIU, but we'll certainly face that with aTm.  I'm excited to see how we handle that.  Regardless, the future looks brighter.

Razorfox

They looked better than any time since probably 2006. 

code red

Still....an big play.  Good win vs. a FBS team but, they where not nearly SEC caliber...not even close.  We cannot let folks get over the top of us.  Ole Miss would shred this secondary if we played tomorrow.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Razorfox

Quote from: code red on September 15, 2014, 09:44:07 am
Still....an big play.  Good win vs. a FBS team but, they where not nearly SEC caliber...not even close.  We cannot let folks get over the top of us.  Ole Miss would shred this secondary if we played tomorrow.

I think I disagree.  There are plenty of teams in other conferences that are "SEC caliber" or better in the passing game.  And TT is one of them. 

hogsanity

TT strength on O was perfectly suited to go against the hogs weakness on D, and the D played very well. We will see a little more this week, as NIU has a QB that can run.  Then the next week against A&M.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 09:31:19 am

Didn't the great (often misquoted) Frank Broyles say the HUNH spread would not work against an SEC defense without a mobile QB?

bigdaddyhawg

Big picture folks.

There is a significant difference in our secondary play than in the previous few years without question.  Coaching is obviously making a difference.  But there has also been an upgrade of talent.

We still aren't there, but if you can't see the progress you're working too hard not to see it.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 09:53:47 am
Big picture folks.

There is a significant difference in our secondary play than in the previous few years without question.  Coaching is obviously making a difference.  But there has also been an upgrade of talent.

We still aren't there, but if you can't see the progress you're working too hard not to see it.

The big difference Saturday was that Arkansas was getting a pass rush.  When the Hogs can't generate a pass rush, that's when the secondary problems really start to become clear.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 15, 2014, 09:56:29 am
The big difference Saturday was that Arkansas was getting a pass rush.  When the Hogs can't generate a pass rush, that's when the secondary problems really start to become clear.

Funny, someone else just started a thread about the lack of a pass rush last Sat. 

I don't think it was so much of a rush, but that there were hands up in Webbs face and in the passing lanes all day, especially from mid 2nd Q on.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 15, 2014, 09:56:29 am

I didn't see much of a pass rush Saturday.  I was complaining about how surprised I was our DL wasn't getting sacks.

But my son pointed out it looked like to him the D coaches had a different plan, that is to cover rather than pressure.  I rewatched the game and it really looked like that was an actual part of the game plan.

Don't really see how one could argue this was our best secondary cover game in years.  TT had some quick, fast receivers and our CB's were on them tightly, had more pass break ups, and even a couple of interceptions.

Definitely encouraging.  Like that they seem to be playing with a lot more confidence.

It's not there yet, but it's better, no question.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Vantage 8 dude

At lot of that last statement depends on which Bo (Wallace) you get. If you get the "bad Bo" then I'm not sure he could hit the side of a barn standing 10 feet away. However, if you get the "good Bo" then he could hit 20 in a row standing 40 yards down field.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 15, 2014, 09:52:34 am
Didn't the great (often misquoted) Frank Broyles say the HUNH spread would not work against an SEC defense without a mobile QB?

Yep. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 15, 2014, 10:34:57 am
I didn't see much of a pass rush Saturday.  I was complaining about how surprised I was our DL wasn't getting sacks.

But my son pointed out it looked like to him the D coaches had a different plan, that is to cover rather than pressure.  I rewatched the game and it really looked like that was an actual part of the game plan.

Don't really see how one could argue this was our best secondary cover game in years.  TT had some quick, fast receivers and our CB's were on them tightly, had more pass break ups, and even a couple of interceptions.

Definitely encouraging.  Like that they seem to be playing with a lot more confidence.

It's not there yet, but it's better, no question.
One other factor on the pressure/lack of sacks you also need to realize: most of the passes TT attempted were off the shorter, faster variety. Get the ball out of Webb's hands with relatively little time needed. Didn't take very many of the slower developing longer down the field shots to give the DL time to put additional heat on the QB.

PonderinHog

For Texas Tech it was a good strategery...

pigture perfect

I agree with the cover instead of pressure scheme. That killed any sort of draw or screen they would have run otherwise. We made them one dimensional. And our back 7 responded. Our Time of Possession helped as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"