Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's "dutch oven offense"

Started by Karma, September 15, 2014, 09:06:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Maximus Tusk

Ex-Trumpet

"I ate at Chipotle last night. Sorry about that, handsome boy."
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogman99

Ironhawg

JayBell

"Still, watching a team find the hammer, swing said hammer, and then refuse to stop using that hammer until everything in front of it is reduced to shards? Great entertainment in the Hulk-ingest way possible, and deeply encouraging for Arkansas fans, who could probably hear Bielema holding Kliff Kingsbury's head under the sheets and muttering, "I ate at Chipotle last night. Sorry about that, handsome boy."

I can't emphasize how much opposing defenses hate playing a team that plays this way.  Passing stats are fun and you can upset some cornerbacks and safeties in the process, but no other offensive system completely demoralizes defenses more than Bielema's style.

It's physically exhausting and endlessly unnerving for defensive linemen and linebackers to line up time and time and time and time again only to have the offense just run right over them.

The 4th and 1 play really stood out to me.  The Red Raider fans in the stands had zero hope on that play.  Fans from Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. would have been going nuts in the stands to try to pump up their defense.  TT were just kind of praying that the defense could make a play, but they knew they wouldn't.

CallThemHawgs!

LOL, this would not be funny if it was not accurate.

And its accurate.

NaturalStateReb

This whole article was most entertaining.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Mike Irwin

Excellent job of creative writing. A+.

Nosboar Accubond

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Karma on September 15, 2014, 09:06:12 am
Really funny article.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/15/6151641/the-acrostical-week-3-college-football
Yep, CBB's "dutch oven offense" that takes the ball and bakes and toasts you into the ground. You come out well done and totally smoked.

The_Iceman

ChitownHawg

Best part of the article

who could probably hear Bielema holding Kliff Kingsbury's head under the sheets and muttering, "I ate at Chipotle last night. Sorry about that, handsome boy."
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

TexHog188

Now I'm totally embarrassed because I'm sitting in the Orlando airport laughing out loud. Go Hogs!
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

EastMemphisHog

Dark Helmet Hog

Wildhog

Thought it was more of a dutch rudder offense.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Someone who appreciates football the way it was meant to be played. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mark_Freeman

aar0n

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 15, 2014, 10:11:28 am
Yep, CBB's "dutch oven offense" that takes the ball and bakes and toasts you into the ground. You come out well done and totally smoked.

Apparently you are not familiar with the type of "Dutch oven" this article is referencing.

PonderinHog

Quote from: aar0n on September 15, 2014, 01:59:41 pm
Apparently you are not familiar with the type of "Dutch oven" this article is referencing.
Smells like cookies!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 15, 2014, 02:03:08 pm
Smells like cookies!

I keep telling my wife that, but she refuses to believe it. Not sure why.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

Oh my I liked to have spewed water all over my keyboard.

+1 to Karma for finding and posting this one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lefty08

Quote from: JayBell on September 15, 2014, 09:47:06 am
"Still, watching a team find the hammer, swing said hammer, and then refuse to stop using that hammer until everything in front of it is reduced to shards? Great entertainment in the Hulk-ingest way possible, and deeply encouraging for Arkansas fans, who could probably hear Bielema holding Kliff Kingsbury's head under the sheets and muttering, "I ate at Chipotle last night. Sorry about that, handsome boy."

I can't emphasize how much opposing defenses hate playing a team that plays this way.  Passing stats are fun and you can upset some cornerbacks and safeties in the process, but no other offensive system completely demoralizes defenses more than Bielema's style.

It's physically exhausting and endlessly unnerving for defensive linemen and linebackers to line up time and time and time and time again only to have the offense just run right over them.

The 4th and 1 play really stood out to me.  The Red Raider fans in the stands had zero hope on that play.  Fans from Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. would have been going nuts in the stands to try to pump up their defense.  TT were just kind of praying that the defense could make a play, but they knew they wouldn't.

The screen shot of their d coord. As we lined up for that play was priceless, just shook his head. Haha
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

chitwnhog

I think of it more as The Billy Jack Offense:  "I'm going to take my right foot, and I'm going to whomp you on that side of your face, and you know something? There's not a damn thing you're going to be able to do about it."

31to6

Quote from: Karma on September 15, 2014, 09:06:12 am
Really funny article.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/15/6151641/the-acrostical-week-3-college-football
Quote from: Maximus Tusk on September 15, 2014, 09:37:00 am
I like Mr. Hall's style... :)
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 15, 2014, 10:06:55 am
Excellent job of creative writing. A+.
Spencer Hall is one of the best at sports satire. He knows football and he's just flat out funny.

Old school EDSBS was addictive (not such a fan of the new format and writers).

Pig Worshipper

September 15, 2014, 04:54:27 pm #29 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:34:19 pm by Pig Worshipper
Nice writing. Thank you for posting.

You know, just thinking about the article, Coach B does not seem like the "silent but deadly type." I think they probably come in like "Seventy-Six Trombones", the Macy's Fourth of July Celebration and Shock and Awe all at once.

BrokenArrowHogs