Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What people are missing about the botched reverse

Started by hogsanity, September 15, 2014, 08:47:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

reddogjcss

I hope we also try the flea flicker every game just to keep them safeties wondering!

I believe Mike mis-understood the intent of the post by the Dude who says he was a coach at one time.   Think he was giving compliments to BB and Chaney.  After 15 games with Chaney as the OC, there have been plenty of times the play called seemed weird.  At one point in the TT game, we fake the run left, thus drawing the defense to its right and then try to throw the ball left right where we just drew the defense.  Seems weird to me.  The reverse seems weird to me too and I think BB thought it was weird also. 

A poster just mentioned that we had gained only 2 yards on the previous 3 running plays.  I never realized that.  I felt like we were wearing them out and running over them at the point Chaney called the failed play so who knows.  It seemed like a horrible play to me because I thought we were running over the defense going straight ahead and I had that sinking feeling of, oh crap, here we go again.

chitwnhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 08:47:41 am
Was it necessary at that point on the field or that point in the game?  NO. Just like the opening reverse against NSU was not necessary either, BUT look at all a defense now has to watch EVERY TIME Hatcher goes in motion.  So far we have run the speed sweep, the end around, the toss reverse, showed the attempted reverse after hand off, and also ran the play where he comes in motion, and sneaks into the flat off play action on a type of swing/screen pass.

If you watched many of our longer run plays, often they would motion Hatcher and draw the safety away from the point of attack, giving the offense one, maybe two more step before the safety got there in run support (not that he could tackle once he got there ).

This has been my take on it all along...if that play works Chaney is a genius and no one is talking about it now. Unfortunately it didn't work but I truly believe you are right in that it gives the opposing defense something else to deal with and when it works and it will it's gonna gain huge yards.

ShaneHog

JayBell

Quote from: DawgTownHog on September 16, 2014, 06:27:31 pmThis has been my take on it all along...if that play works Chaney is a genius and no one is talking about it now. Unfortunately it didn't work but I truly believe you are right in that it gives the opposing defense something else to deal with and when it works and it will it's gonna gain huge yards.

That play is overused though.  It's not effective at shaking up the defense when you run it 3-5 times a game.  In that case, it's just another regular play that defenses plan for.  You want to catch a defense off guard?  Fake the reverse to Hatcher (which Arkansas did once, I believe) and/or run the reverse with another receiver like Wilson or Cornelius.

We knew the play can work.  Hatcher busted one or two big runs last year.  Of course he fumbled at the end, which is why I've never ever been a fan of giving him so many reverse calls.

chitwnhog

Quote from: JayBell on September 17, 2014, 08:53:59 am
That play is overused though.  It's not effective at shaking up the defense when you run it 3-5 times a game.  In that case, it's just another regular play that defenses plan for.  You want to catch a defense off guard?  Fake the reverse to Hatcher (which Arkansas did once, I believe) and/or run the reverse with another receiver like Wilson or Cornelius.

We knew the play can work.  Hatcher busted one or two big runs last year.  Of course he fumbled at the end, which is why I've never ever been a fan of giving him so many reverse calls.

Agreed. This sort of play should be used once a game.

Cure

It's just what Wisconsin ran to keep the leverage.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

cypert2

Swinging on the two and the four.

woodrow hog call

This is not JR High where they are trying to "trick" the entire defense into all going to one side of the field so the receiver can have a free run to the endzone.

That's what some are relating to I think.

It's just a play where we change the blocking angles and get the ball in the hands of a fast guy with a head of steam built up and a lead blocker in front of him. It's not as much trickeration, as it is execution.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

LZH

"Pop Warner Reverse on two, ready.....break!"

Anytime you pitch the ball around like that and don't practice it a zillion times, you're subject to something going wrong.  Having said that, it didn't really raise my blood pressure any (it was already life-threating at kickoff).

smb

I read somewhere that you expect every play that you run should score. Obiviously that does not happen. The most important part of course we all know is execution. One miss block, or someone going the wrong way can just totally make the play look bad. But I do like the fact they are trying to keep the defense guessing.
GeorgiaHOG

Mike Irwin

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 17, 2014, 12:55:11 pm
I assure you CBB thinks it was a terrible call. You don't run that crap when you are shoving it up their ass 8 or 9 yards a pop every play. There was zero logic in that call at the time. You don't understand play calling or game management I guess.
You are confusing the second half with the first half. In the first half they were not shoving it up Tech's a$$ 8 or 9 yards a play. Go back and check the PBP. There were several simple running plays that got blown up forcing Chaney to be more creative than he had to be in the second half.