Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen Gets Creative As Hogs Game Manager

Started by Mike Irwin, September 14, 2014, 06:53:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

It took Bret Bielema three games into his second season at Arkansas to notch his first road win as the Razorbacks' head coach. Following a 49-28 win over Texas Tech Bielema was raving about the play of his junior quarterback, Brandon Allen.  "B.A.( Allen), his presence out there in the huddle is just off the charts and our kids trust and faith in him is big time," Bielema told reporters just outside of Arkansas' locker-room at Jones Stadium.

What exactly did Allen do to warrant such high praise?
-------------
To read the rest of the story and to view the video version click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/allen-gets-creative-as-hogs-game-manager/36267/hkF6bORyCkKfJgvM2zFSaA

Hawgzinbowlz

BA was the exact quarterback we needed for the TT win.
Execute, good decisions and leadership.

" GO HOGS "

jgphillips3

A day will come soon where we will need him to win a game with his arm.  I think he will now have the confidence to do that IF his receivers hold up their end of the deal.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

He made the best call of the day by pulling the ball down and running in upright.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

He did a great job. But I'm not sure creative is the right descriptor.

demonHOG1013

I was impressed by the throws he made on 3rd downs to keep drives alive.  He missed a couple chances at TD passes, but made the plays when we needed him too. Great job BA!

Ragnar Hogbrok

He showed he can make plays with his feet.  Defenses now have to second-guess pinning their ears back and coming after him if he rolls out of the pocket.  If a defense makes one mistake or slow plays him wrong, they'll pay.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Cave City Joe

Look at all the checks he made at the LOS.  Also not staring down receivers and going thru his progressions a lot better than last year.  Some of the receivers need to step up
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Quote from: Cave City Joe on September 15, 2014, 05:49:20 pm
Look at all the checks he made at the LOS.  Also not staring down receivers and going thru his progressions a lot better than last year.  Some of the receivers need to step up

here is a great example of the Checks at LOS... BA changed up the entire team alignment (switching the side of the play). This allowed JWill to get 10 yds easily

http://youtu.be/YKCYK-mMYPY?t=1h38m19s
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

razoredge178

Quote from: Cave City Joe on September 15, 2014, 05:49:20 pm

I'm a 3 year critic of BA, but credit goes where due, and he was a great leader Saturday. His tuck and run for a TD vs. throwing it for a pick-six was probably his single most mature QB decisions I've seen since he's been at Arkansas.

+1 for him. 

hogsanity

The slant early in the game for a 1st down was maybe the best throw he has made as a Hog.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2014, 10:34:37 pm
He did a great job. But I'm not sure creative is the right descriptor.

I'm not sure "great" is the right descriptor, either.  ;-)

I agree with CBB, in that he did a great job managing the game, and he made several plays that were HUGE.

But he did miss at least two TD's on plays we very badly need him to make the rest of the year.

But I believe he's going to continue to improve and make those plays -- at least I'm going to stay with that until he proves me wrong.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

blyhog

I am sorry but I had no faith in B.Allen, until I saw him Saturday.That kid ran a couple of busted plays like a Top-Notch QB. He is definitely becoming a STUD right before our eyes and the untouched QB run TD was beautiful to see (its been a long time coming) but feels good seeing the REAL BRANDON ALLEN

redeye

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 14, 2014, 08:04:08 pm
A day will come soon where we will need him to win a game with his arm.  I think he will now have the confidence to do that IF his receivers hold up their end of the deal.

+1

Building his confidence is a big part of why I've been wanting to run the ball more.  Have success with the ground game and let BA, along with our receivers, take baby steps in the passing game.  Work on it in practice, but don't spend practice working on running the ball and then throw it 50% of the time during games.

I think BB is putting a bit too much emphasis on the great job of BA.  We did win and he did do some good things but being a great game manager is a responsibility of a good QB.  We haven't had much of that from him up until now.  I saw a QB that is still very much a work in progress.  He did appear much better than a year ago at this same time but to be elite is still way far out there.  If he makes the progress to become elite and the defenders who I saw much progress in continue to get better and better, then we will have a respectable ball club before seasons end.

We are going to have the opportunity to see how good we are very shortly.  A&M should offer us the opportunity to exhibit all our management abilities from every position.  If we show dog against A&M, then I may begin to trot alongside and try to jump on the train headed to winnerville.

Hogpkins

Quote from: hogsanity on September 16, 2014, 01:33:05 pm
The slant early in the game for a 1st down was maybe the best throw he has made as a Hog.

Yes, D. Wilson was covered TIGHT and BA placed it perfectly with perfect timing for a critical 3rd down to avoid a 3 and out after TT's first TD.