Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those that went to Texas Tech game

Started by hawgfanatics, September 14, 2014, 06:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfanatics

I love traveling to see the hogs play At away games to see the country and and see other venues.  I've never been to tech though, just curious as to what game day was like.  What was campus like? How was the tailgating? Fans? Atmosphere? What was stadium look like, food etc. 

I love that we are back on track and hopefully I'll be able to save up enough to travel some.

George S. Pigton

tailgating that we could see from our tailgate was sparse but it was 47 degrees at 8a.m. and raining.  Finally stopped around 10.

Stadium was nicer than expected, but a bit small at 60,000.  Atmosphere was good at times but not intimidating at all for a sold out crowd.

Fairly easy drive but glad I will not be going back.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

hogs5204

driving and parking fairly easy and good flow.

a lot of restaurant choices across from stadium allowed us to mix with TT students and fans....before the game.  These were right in front of student dorms....good placement.

ran into a complex mix of TT fans.  Most older fans were nice (before and after game), students were mostly drunk and foul mouthed towards hog fans.  shrugged it off and really just kind of laughed 'at them'.

stadium was nice, good facilities.  main scoreboard, brand new last year.  best stadium sound that I've heard across any in the SEC markets.  however, most of their 'noise' came from the pumped up loud scoreboard music.  crowd was noisy on 3rd downs in the first half and then declined when they got behind.

pre-game activities were negated by giving of awards, recognitions which stalled any momentum of crown enthusiasm.  The best part of opening was seeing the horse run out of the smoke and down the field.  Similar opening to gamecock, war eagle, florida Seminole --- where everyone waits for that moment.  (we need something like this......maybe the hog can repel from upper deck to the hog pen....to release the real hogs...)

they had 14,000 students at the game, who all got the best seats in half of the stadium.  this really set a good tone, but led to too much negative rowdiness....when they got behind.  I imagine it's great when they are ahead.

After the first kickoff, many throw tortilla's out of the stands on to the field.  Started several years back and became a tradition....not a major event.  Was told they get penalties when it continues into the 2nd half.

They put all hog fans and band in an upper section, not as visitor friendly as most SEC stadiums.

Lubbock ---- is in the middle of nowhere Texas.  Northwest Arkansas - much more vibrant.

Great to win on the road.....Go Hogs!

PIGZSNOUT

Was not at the game but I was impressed by their fan base for one thing. Unlike the nimrods at MissSt the TT fans actually quit ringing the cowbells when the play started.
I believe that MissST STILL gets away with ringing them whenever they please.

hawgsalot

The stadium was ok for a 60,000 seat stadium, the student have prime seating on both ends of the razorback bench and they were let's say pretty mouthy when they got down.  From the field it wasn't a very loud stadium and not intimidating at all. 

I will never complain about our video board production again, theirs was embarrassing to say the least.  Corny ads, promotional stuff and crowd interaction themes, truly embarrassing.  The tailgaiting was spread out, Lubbock well it's Lubbock and I'll leave it at that.

minman

Quote from: hogs5204 on September 14, 2014, 10:05:09 pm
(we need something like this......maybe the hog can repel from upper deck to the hog pen....to release the real hogs...)

Great Idea +1

staffhog

As I mentioned in another thread, you can't find a bad steak in Lubbock.  We had dinner at Cagle's Friday night along with the Razorback brass.  The ateaks were great.

At the stadium, I give high marks to most everything I encountered.  We arrived a little late and I was roaming around hunting for UU and the Hogville bus.  I never found it but did crash a few TT tailgates.  They were all friendly and several told me they were glad to see us back out on the plains and couldn't wait to hear us call the Hogs.

The scene had changed a lot.  The north end was closed, only open to 1%ers.  That was always a good tailgating area in the past.  Although TT lost some spirit with all the new facilities, I must admit that it looks good and offers some nice elbow rubbing places right near the stadium.

TT's headquarters before the game is located on the south end of the stadium.  Their cheerleaders were leading a pep rally, there, and all was fun, only a few smart asses. The masked bandit was on her horse as  a photo-op.

We were right behind the Hog bench and there was a lot of students jaw boning our players, especially Jwill.  At one point he turned around and smiled real big at them and then pointed to tthe score board.  They tried to engage him but he just coolly strolled away, noticedet us and went "Woooooo Pig Sooooooie".  There were only a few Hog fans nearby so all our Hogs calls were drowned out. 

The stadium was much improved and I was surprised that the 60,000+ sell out crowd was all it held.  After the game the traffic seemed to move out of the area at a good pace. 

It is a long haul to Lubbock for those who have to drive but we had a great time made better by our Hogs putting on a real butt whipping clinic.

Mike Irwin

In the 4th quarter when they were down 49-29 and Arkansas was in the middle of a 9 minute drive they started showing close ups of fans on the video board with music encouraging them to bust out with their best dance moves.

Would have been fine if they were winning. Seemed idiotic since their team was getting curb stomped.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 15, 2014, 03:29:33 pm
In the 4th quarter when they were down 49-29 and Arkansas was in the middle of a 9 minute drive they started showing close ups of fans on the video board with music encouraging them to bust out with their best dance moves.

Would have been fine if they were winning. Seemed idiotic since their team was getting curb stomped.

That is greatness Mike Irwin... Keep up on the show with Michael Smith on 99.5. Always love your opinion on that show.

GolfnHog

I'll just echo most of what has already been said. Overall the stadium just felt small. That being said, the way the seats were numbered you had ample room without feeling you were either sitting in someone else's spot or them in yours. The logistics of getting parked and out at the end of the game was seamless and the chances of getting lost in Lubbock are slim to none even though the population is edging upwards of 250,000+
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 15, 2014, 04:34:23 pm
I'll just echo most of what has already been said. Overall the stadium just felt small. That being said, the way the seats were numbered you had ample room without feeling you were either sitting in someone else's spot or them in yours. The logistics of getting parked and out at the end of the game was seamless and the chances of getting lost in Lubbock are slim to none even though the population is edging upwards of 250,000+
Jones Stadium was originally built in the late 40's. They doubled its size right before they joined the SWC in 1960. The idea at the time was to construct it for fan comfort and so the teams would have plenty of room on the sidelines. So, for instance each row angles back more and up less to make it easier for old folks to walk the steps. The  front row is maybe 15 yards from each sideline so each bench has a ton of room.

However, this created unintended consequences. The fans are much farther from the field. You can really notice it from the press box. You are looking toward the field, not down on it like in the various SEC stadiums.

At Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee for instance, standing on the field it's almost like you're at the bottom of a deep pit with a wall of noise bouncing off the sides of the pit.

At Lubbock a lot of the sound escapes into the air instead of reverberating off the stands.

Jackrabbit Hog

Kinda funny for an oldtimer like me that we're talking about a "small" 60,000 seat stadium.  Sure doesn't seem like that long ago that Razorback Stadium held 44,000 and War Memorial was the big stadium in the state with 55,000.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

redeye

On the stadium, I'm surprised it holds 60,000.  I've never been there, but it looks small on TV imo.

Quote from: PIGZSNOUT on September 15, 2014, 08:18:57 am
Was not at the game but I was impressed by their fan base for one thing. Unlike the nimrods at MissSt the TT fans actually quit ringing the cowbells when the play started.
I believe that MissST STILL gets away with ringing them whenever they please.

Yes, they do.  A few years ago, the SEC office said they would fine MSU if it continued, but since most fans seem to be okay with it, they ended up just ignoring it.

pigture perfect

Thank you to our Road Hogs. You represented well. Looked good on the tube.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"