Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Northern Illinois is next.

Started by elksnort, September 14, 2014, 01:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

I'm not predicting the score but I'm interested in folks have to say about Northern Illinois. I know they've had a pretty good program for the last 10 to 15 years or so. The stud QB is gone. They are 3-0, including a victory over Northwestern. 

With just a brief look at the stats it appears they run the ball better than pass it this year.  I would think that we would benefit from this. We had a very important win yesterday and everyone's talking about A&M but I think we got northern Illinois first. Hopefully our players are only thinking about the Huskies.

Has anyone seen northern Illinois this year?

BPsTheMan

elksnort

rzrbackrob

NIU looks like the best team in the state of Illinois

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/107233/northern-illinois-calls-out-illini?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Like their ad in the Chicago Tribune, they would love to bring a SEC win back and rub it in the B1G's face

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/view-niu-alumni-buy-ad-in-tribune-that-trolls-illinois-northwestern/

Looks like they are a mini Hog team
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2459/northern-illinois-huskies
#78 rank passing yds (good news for Hogs)
#8 rushing yds (Hog D strength-if it has one)
#26 points for
#22 fewest points allowed (little worried about their D)

Hogs ranking
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks
#119 passing (WOW)
#3 rushing (WOW)
that is the definition of one dimensional

#10 points for (who cares if your one dimensional - that is impressive)
#79 points against (this is worrisome)
Good is the enemy of great

hogsfan31

Do not overlook this team. Their QB can run the ball and that offense is built exactly for that. They also have a salty defense this year. McIntosh started the season at QB but was benched when he threw INTs and couldn't move the offense on the ground much. Hare has taken over and hasn't missed a beat. He can beat you with his legs. I'm not as worried about them passing the ball as I am with them running it at us.

elksnort

It is not hard to imagine that northern Illinois' run defense would be better then Texas tech's.  It might be the case that we will have to mix in some more passing. 

We ought to win this game just so long as the players' focus is there.

razorbackkid

Brandon Allen will probably get to toss the ball around a little more this game.  Besides that, I know nothing.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

CallThemHawgs!

NIU is a solid team, they have depth on both sides of the ball and are well coached.

Those of you who think they suck are idiots. This will be a good game, if we dominate I will come away impressed. Glad its at home.

Even though no one is talking about NIU this year because they lost Jordan Lynch, they are still a very solid team.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I've been concerned about this team since before the season, but it seems like most people aren't worried.

We need to concentrate on beating them, then put them away early.  Worry about the SEC later.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorbackkid

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 14, 2014, 03:28:44 pm
I disagree. They will be better than Nicholls state, but not as food as tech.

food is good....no...seriously....food is good.  ;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

elksnort

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 14, 2014, 03:29:14 pm
I've been concerned about this team since before the season, but it seems like most people aren't worried.

We need to concentrate on beating them, then put them away early.  Worry about the SEC later.
Our boys are not good enough yet to be over looking any team.

ricepig

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 14, 2014, 03:34:25 pm
I mean look, Northwestern is not amazing... but they have talent.

This NIU team beat them.

This is NOT Nicholls, or Southern Miss, etc.

Its a legitimate game and I can promise you NIU will be coming into Fayetteville thinking they can win this game, and expecting to win this game. Its set up to be a statement win for their program.

If the team has the same attitude as some of you idiots we are going to get our asses embarrassed.

I suspect the players and coaches know we need this game to get to 6 wins and a bowl. I bet they will be all over it.

JIHawg

My theory is any school with a direction in it's name is just not very good.  Notice Southern Cal lost last night, for instance.

elksnort

Meanwhile nice run by Knile Davis up the middle against Denver

razorjack12

I guarantee this will be a tougher test than Texas Tech.    UNI is well coached.

We will probably win due to our superior athleticism especially on the LOS but we can't take anything for granted.

I say Hog 27-20.

Quote from: elksnort on September 14, 2014, 03:40:01 pm
Meanwhile nice run by Knile Davis up the middle against Denver

I hate Denver and Manning.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2014, 03:37:35 pm
I suspect the players and coaches know we need this game to get to 6 wins and a bowl. I bet they will be all over it.
You're right (should be right), but many fans tend to over look games like this next Saturday. 

Supermark101

Quote from: JIHawg on September 14, 2014, 03:39:35 pm
My theory is any school with a direction in it's name is just not very good.  Notice Southern Cal lost last night, for instance.

legit lol +1

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 14, 2014, 03:34:25 pm
I mean look, Northwestern is not amazing... but they have talent.

This NIU team beat them.

This is NOT Nicholls, or Southern Miss, etc.

Its a legitimate game and I can promise you NIU will be coming into Fayetteville thinking they can win this game, and expecting to win this game. Its set up to be a statement win for their program.

If the team has the same attitude as some of you idiots we are going to get our asses embarrassed.
Matters not one whit as far as what some on HV think. All that ultimately matters is how the staff and players feel and prepare when it comes to NIU. Personally I don't think CBB and staff will allow the team to look past to the next weekend with TAM. He realizes we're not so good that we can just breeze through this game without a thought or adequate preparation. Would be highly surprised if we have a let down.

elksnort

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 14, 2014, 03:51:55 pm
Matters not one whit as far as what some on HV think. All that ultimately matters is how the staff and players feel and prepare when it comes to NIU. Personally I don't think CBB and staff will allow the team to look past to the next weekend with TAM. He realizes we're not so good that we can just breeze through this game without a thought or adequate preparation. Would be highly surprised if we have a let down.
Let us hope so.

Hawk

Think I read somewhere that NIU has a 17 away game win streak going right now. I don't take them lightly at all.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 14, 2014, 03:29:14 pm

I think Arkansas' coaches would agree with you. This team is no cupcake. I believe they've won like 17 straight road games. I don't care what conference you play in, that is one amazing statistic. Should Arkansas win this game? Of course, but that's one of the great (and sometimes frustrating) things about college football. Many times a lesser talented team will catch a favorite looking ahead. This game has that potential written all over it.
I expect our guys to roll because they've gotten a taste of what winning is all about. But it won't surprise me if this trap game turns out to be a dogfight.

jgphillips3

This will be a tougher test by a more well rounded team.  They still aren't SEC level and it is at home so I see us winning, but not dominating.  Something like 42-31.

root_hawg

TMc

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 14, 2014, 03:19:51 pm
Another cupcake. Yum!

They are no cupcake.., and I can promise you Coach B, and the team will not look at them like that.

iHog

One has to wonder if CBB will contact Dave Doeren, the HC at NC State? After all, he was CBB's DC at Wisconsin when he left to become HC at Northern Illinois.

Pig Worshipper

NIU has a very experienced offensive line that will give our D-line a good test. Most of their guys have played three years together.

Phil D

I think we win by three touchdowns, unfortunately the real grind is coming soon. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 14, 2014, 09:08:04 pm
NIU has a very experienced offensive line that will give our D-line a good test. Most of their guys have played three years together.

You can't underestimate that kind of chemistry.  And D1 talent is D1 talent.  They have to play the game on the field.

intelligence

Quote from: root_hawg on September 14, 2014, 04:35:22 pm
35-24 Ark

I think you're right on the money with this prediction. The tendency of each team to grind it out could create a relatively low scoring game.

ShadowTheHedgehog

NIU has been a good team, but they lost a lot of good/experienced players last year. As any well-coached team they have recruited for consistency but the new crop is still not up to par with what they lost. They have been so-so against the run (without playing anyone as good as the Hogs running on them) and they have been a bit more suspect on pass defense.

intelligence

We like to debate nonsense here, so lets debate this:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/week/4

The hogs received 7 votes this week, while NIU received 10 votes. Does this mean NIU is better than the hogs according to the AP voters?

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: intelligence on September 14, 2014, 09:17:51 pm

The hogs received 7 votes this week, while NIU recieved 10 votes. Does this mean NIU is better than the hogs according to the AP voters?
Too early to say. We'll know by Saturday night. NIU did play in the Orange bowl just two seasons ago against FSU (they lost 31-10). It's a proud program. Should be good for our young team.

NIU007

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 14, 2014, 09:14:52 pm
NIU has been a good team, but they lost a lot of good/experienced players last year. As any well-coached team they have recruited for consistency but the new crop is still not up to par with what they lost. They have been so-so against the run (without playing anyone as good as the Hogs running on them) and they have been a bit more suspect on pass defense.

I can't dispute that NIU hasn't played any good running teams yet, but they're currently #13 in the country in rushing defense, so that's definitely better than so-so.

HF#1

I'm sure NIU's first squad is probably legit but what do they have after that?  With teams like this it's all about depth. 

I think they put up a fight for a quarter or two but after that we dominate.  They don't have the horses up front to compete with us.  I think we see a similar game to TTU... 

Hogs 49
NIU 21
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NIU007

Quote from: HF#1 on September 14, 2014, 09:47:30 pm
I'm sure NIU's first squad is probably legit but what do they have after that?  With teams like this it's all about depth. 

I think they put up a fight for a quarter or two but after that we dominate.  They don't have the horses up front to compete with us.  I think we see a similar game to TTU... 

Hogs 49
NIU 21

NIU has decent depth at most positions. A lot of guys rotate in on both front lines. LB is deep. The secondary is vulnerable regardless of who we have in there, and we have a few freshmen that get some playing time there. We even have a backup QB that has played a little, we're not sure about his passing yet, but he's a better runner than the other QBs that we've had in there this year.

The real question will be, what will NIU have to do defensively, even with the starters, to limit the damage from the rushing attack.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: NIU007 on September 14, 2014, 09:27:32 pm
I can't dispute that NIU hasn't played any good running teams yet, but they're currently #13 in the country in rushing defense, so that's definitely better than so-so.

Northwestern is 121 in rushing attack. UNLV is 111.

Dropkick

I'm gonna say we win 41-21 after a fight for 3 qtrs.

Dropkick

By the way we are opening up as a 14.5 pt favorite

NIU007

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 14, 2014, 10:05:28 pm
Northwestern is 121 in rushing attack. UNLV is 111.

Uh, yea, that's why I said we haven't played any good rushing teams yet. But since you said that even with that we had only done so-so, I was pointing out that that wasn't true.

PorkRinds

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 14, 2014, 09:12:24 pm
You can't underestimate that kind of chemistry.  And D1 talent is D1 talent.  They have to play the game on the field.

I dunno. I was kinda thinking if we made them play the game on the basketball court at bud Walton it might throw them off of their game. Just a thought though.  ;D

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: NIU007 on September 14, 2014, 10:18:26 pm
Uh, yea, that's why I said we haven't played any good rushing teams yet. But since you said that even with that we had only done so-so, I was pointing out that that wasn't true.

Let me rephrase that then: so-so = OK vs terrible rushing teams. We really don't know how NIU will do vs Arkansas' running game.

I don't think NIU is a bad team and did state on other threads that the Hogs have to bring their A game and play them hard in order to win. I just think we will be able to run on you guys and that will open up the possibilities for PA plays.

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2014, 10:24:43 pm
I dunno. I was kinda thinking if we made them play the game on the basketball court at bud Walton it might throw them off of their game. Just a thought though.  ;D

Hahahahayou are now going before the Tavern grand jury for possible 10-day banting for making fun of someone in MMQB!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 14, 2014, 10:36:22 pm
Hahahahayou are now going before the Tavern grand jury for possible 10-day banting for making fun of someone in MMQB!!!

Can you suggest a good attorney?

NIU007

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 14, 2014, 10:35:37 pm
Let me rephrase that then: so-so = OK vs terrible rushing teams. We really don't know how NIU will do vs Arkansas' running game.

I don't think NIU is a bad team and did state on other threads that the Hogs have to bring their A game and play them hard in order to win. I just think we will be able to run on you guys and that will open up the possibilities for PA plays.

I don't doubt that Arkansas can run on us, better than the other teams we've played. But giving up 2.4 ypc is better than OK.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NIU007 on September 14, 2014, 10:43:51 pm
I don't doubt that Arkansas can run on us, better than the other teams we've played. But giving up 2.4 ypc is better than OK.

Methinks that number will go up significantly after Saturday. I think you guys are likely better than TT, but you're coming to our house on the heels of our first big win in a long time. It's gonna be a rough game.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 14, 2014, 09:08:04 pm
Should be a fun game. Their DLINE not that big. No turnovers by us, please.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

NIU007

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2014, 10:45:51 pm
Methinks that number will go up significantly after Saturday. I think you guys are likely better than TT, but you're coming to our house on the heels of our first big win in a long time. It's gonna be a rough game.

I agree, that number will go up a lot. Hopefully not TOO much.  :)

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: NIU007 on September 14, 2014, 10:49:05 pm
I agree, that number will go up a lot. Hopefully not TOO much.  :)

I hope it really spikes this weekend, after that go back to dominate the run d, win every game and good luck :)

redeye

Quote from: elksnort on September 14, 2014, 01:59:44 pm
I'm not predicting the score but I'm interested in folks have to say about Northern Illinois. I know they've had a pretty good program for the last 10 to 15 years or so.

10-15 years?  I've only known about them for about 3-4 years, so if that's true, I'm surprised.

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 14, 2014, 03:12:32 pm
#79 points against (this is worrisome)

We allow fewer points then 78 other teams and that's worrisome?  Considering the fast paced offenses we've faced, I'd say that's awfully good.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Quote from: intelligence on September 14, 2014, 09:17:51 pm

The hogs received 7 votes this week, while NIU received 10 votes. Does this mean NIU is better than the hogs according to the AP voters?

The coaches poll has Louisville in front of Virginia, despite getting beat by them yesterday.