Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No. 1 takeaway from yesterday

Started by JayBell, September 14, 2014, 12:59:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: popcornhog on September 14, 2014, 11:44:33 pm
Dominant. Physically dominant.

And you know, while I still have major concerns about the secondary -- they sure did get their hands on a lot of passes.
The pass defense was actually pretty good/decent.  What concerns me is the missed tackles. 

The Boar War

Quote from: HERMANHOG on September 14, 2014, 08:28:53 pm

I think you are confused with the improvement thing. The reason you start winning after 4-5 games is because you are playing conference games against weak teams(0-10 yesterday)

When was the last big win for ASU?  The aTm game in 2008?

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OKC

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 01:24:55 pm
Both UCA and the UofA have big, physical, and tough OL's.

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot,

Remind me again what was the final score of the UCA vs TT? Did you get the W?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:39:50 pm
Miami blows, and they beat A State. Arkansas would crush Miami. End.
You may be right about Miami, and I'm not sure about Tennessee. Miami is a little better IMO.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

southeasthog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 01:24:55 pm

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot,

Players that can't crack the 2 deep at Arkansas transfer to UCA but they are almost as good as Arkansas? That may be your opinion but it is based in delusion.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: southeasthog on September 15, 2014, 06:05:36 am
Players that can't crack the 2 deep at Arkansas transfer to UCA but they are almost as good as Arkansas? That may be your opinion but it is based in delusion.

Notice he has not responded to his crazy response. I think his fandom blinded him which most of us have been there before. But his statement is still crazy.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

pigture perfect

I also took something away from The Kingsbury post game presser. As to why his team didn't tackle well. He said, "In practice we don't go to the ground on our drills". I think that is a huge deal. Reminds me of the game against USC-w when Felix fumbled because he wore a green jersey all of fall camp. You may lose a couple of guys to injury by having full contact, but you can't create game situations without it. Call me old school on that.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2014, 06:11:07 am
Notice he has not responded to his crazy response. I think his fandom blinded him which most of us have been there before. But his statement is still crazy.

My #1 takeaway on this thread is that a lot of folks allowed a ASU fan to come in and derail the thread from the original subject matter. Look at how much attention he received. His goal achieved. Instead of talking about the Hogs, most of the thread is about misguided ASU fans.

Back to topic, I would agree that the Hogs responded every time that Tech mounted a scoring drive and that is a positive sign, no matter who they are playing. Additionally, they got to see what it felt like to dominate a legit Div I FBS team from a P5 conference, they needed that.

On to NIU.
Go Hogs Go!

Seminole Indian

September 15, 2014, 06:38:18 am #60 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:58:59 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2014, 06:11:07 am
No my opinion was based only on actually seeing both teams play the same team on the road, nothing more. Have no problem with those that want to make the strong point that 28 points is not really close.

I would agree with those that feel the UofA is a lot better than Henderson State, based on playing a common foe.

Still don't know what to make of the Razorbacks, or UCA based on their first three games.

No reason yet to disagree with the preseason predictions that  UCA will finish in the upper half of the SLC, and the Razorbacks will struggle in the SEC. No reason whatsoever.

I do think the Razorbacks are as good as, and maybe better than Tennessee, something I did not feel would be the case going into the season.

Should not have injected ASU but they had a common opponent to UCA and I wanted to use that as an example of the logic I was using. No problem with those that point out comparing scores is not fool proof.

I enjoyed watching both teams play TT, and thought both should have won, and happy one did.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

The Hogfather

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 15, 2014, 06:38:18 am
No my opinion was based only on actually seeing both teams play the same team on the road, nothing more. Have no problem with those that want to make the strong point that 28 points is not really close.

I would agree with those that feel the UofA is a lot better than Henderson State, based on playing a common foe.

Still don't know what to make of the Razorbacks, or UCA based on their first three games.

No reason yet to disagree with the preseason predictions that  UCA will finish in the upper half of the SLC, and the Razorbacks will struggle in the SEC. No reason whatsoever.

I do think the Razorbacks are as good as, and maybe better than Tennessee, something I did not feel would be the case going into the season.

Should not have injected ASU but they had a common opponent to UCA and I wanted to use that as an example of the logic I was using. No problem with those that point out comparing scores is not fool proof.

I enjoyed watching both teams play TT, and thought both should have won, and happy one did.
How do you think ASU would fare at Lubbock?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2014, 04:06:06 pm
Dude, shut up. There's a four touchdown difference between u of a and UCA at least. We would drum UCA about like we did Nichols.

Would've been 5 if we hadn't sat on the last possession.  They weren't going to stop us at that point.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 07:23:08 am
This is the part that should clue you in.
Well I had a different 'feel' about how both teams would match up when I was watching that game, and that 'feel' was the basis of my comment, but can't argue with those that disagree with my opinion  based on the score.

Actually I did not think any of the teams were really very good, but there will be more 'data' to evaluate each as the year goes along.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 15, 2014, 07:41:01 am
Well I had a different 'feel' about how both teams would match up when I was watching that game

Probably because you don't know much about football.

One thing I know for sure, we got Tech's best shot and we beat them by 21 (should've been more).  UCA got Tech's weakest shot.

Seminole Indian

September 15, 2014, 07:43:41 am #66 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:59:30 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Dropkick on September 15, 2014, 07:34:27 am
How do you think ASU would fare at Lubbock?
I think they are a little better than UCA (based on how both did against Montana State), but not as good as the Razorbacks(based on how ASU did against Tennessee who is similar IMO to the Razorbacks), so they would have had a shot at a win, but it probably could go either way.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 07:42:37 am
Probably because you don't know much about football.

One thing I know for sure, we got Tech's best shot and we beat them by 21 (should've been more).  UCA got Tech's weakest shot.
You are almost certainly right about that.

three hog night

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 14, 2014, 11:51:53 pm
The pass defense was actually pretty good/decent.  What concerns me is the missed tackles.

We did not play an aggressive style like I expected.  The coaches saw something that led them to use a keep the play in front of us and tackle for minimal gain defense.  We still missed some tackles. Smith used a 3 man rush with Philon or Johnson dropping back where the LB was supposed to be and the LB dropped back to cover the middle of the field.  Our def front couldn't get much pressure with 3 against 5 Oline, but it contained the pocket.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

The Hogfather

Quote from: three hog night on September 15, 2014, 07:47:59 am
We did not play an aggressive style like I expected.  The coaches saw something that led them to use a keep the play in front of us and tackle for minimal gain defense.  We still missed some tackles. Smith used a 3 man rush with Philon or Johnson dropping back where the LB was supposed to be and the LB dropped back to cover the middle of the field.  Our def front couldn't get much pressure with 3 against 5 Oline, but it contained the pocket.

I didn't like the strategy.  I think Webb is a fragile QB.  He gets rattled easily.  If we put more pressure on him up front, while playing press coverage on their receivers, I think we would've forced even more mistakes from him, and the outcome would've been even worse. 

Can't complain too much, though. 

three hog night

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 08:02:48 am
I didn't like the strategy.  I think Webb is a fragile QB.  He gets rattled easily.  If we put more pressure on him up front, while playing press coverage on their receivers, I think we would've forced even more mistakes from him, and the outcome would've been even worse. 

Can't complain too much, though.

We tried a 4 man rush early.  Honestly the TT oline was better than expected and kept Flowers and Co. at bay; so Smith had something up his sleeve for a contingency.   The alternative defense worked well in the second half.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

The Hogfather

Quote from: three hog night on September 15, 2014, 08:09:07 am
We tried a 4 man rush early.  Honestly the TT oline was better than expected and kept Flowers and Co. at bay; so Smith had something up his sleeve for a contingency.   The alternative defense worked well in the second half.

We were dropping guys into coverage the entire game, mostly on 3rd down.  There were times when we only rushed 2.

I didn't see much press coverage.  That would've allowed our defensive line some time to get there, plus it would've thrown off their routes more.

As I said, I can't complain too much.  I just think it could've been even worse had we rushed at least 4 each time, while playing press coverage.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: three hog night on September 15, 2014, 08:09:07 am

Their Oline was playing a great game.

dmaxfan

The reason why we weren't aggressive and blitzing webb was because of webbs stats under pressure

No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

The Hogfather

Quote from: dmaxfan on September 15, 2014, 12:02:37 pm
The reason why we weren't aggressive and blitzing webb was because of webbs stats under pressure

All I wanted was rushing at least 4, while playing press coverage on the outside.  I think he would've wilted under the pressure.

dmaxfan

To be honest there were only a couple of great passes from webb. We covered alot of the plays well in the secondary. I wouldn't adjust what's working but that's just me.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

wholehog92

Our pass D was adequate.  Their passing game is set up to take advantage of people rushing 4 or 5.  That's why our D didn't look as good in the first half.  It opens up the middle of the field.  With a catch the snap, throw the ball cadence of "as fast as you can wind up and sling it" unless they blow an assignment and leave someone unblocked you aren't going to get meaningful pressure no matter what.  You can't run press like that without exposing your safeties and LBs.  We don't have that kind of depth or talent yet.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

rwspear

are yall really engaging an ASU fan? thats like Tony Romo defending the Cowboys because someone swears Bentonville Highschool is the best team in the NFC East.

Ya'll arguing with a moron.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 07:00:08 pm
I wish Arkansas State would beat somebody so Shields could write something about them being the best team in the state again. That never fails to elicit laughter.
I'm surprised  over-rtrucker or pondwater jack hadn posted a fake Robert Shield post- would be hilarious
go hogs go !

JayBell

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 12:55:49 pmAll I wanted was rushing at least 4, while playing press coverage on the outside.  I think he would've wilted under the pressure.

Instead, Webb wilted because he was standing on the sidelines going cold instead of running the fast-paced offense.  That's the key for Arkansas against teams like NIU, A&M and Ole Miss this season.  Arkansas has to keep those offenses on the sidelines and grind down opposing defenses.

Offenses thrive on repetition and rhythm.  Defenses need rest.

Webb was incredibly inaccurate, especially in the second half.  The coverage was decent, yes, but he was also skipping the ball off the turf, overthrowing and throwing it behind his receivers.  I think you have to attribute that, at least in part, to the way Arkansas dominated time of possession.