Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No. 1 takeaway from yesterday

Started by JayBell, September 14, 2014, 12:59:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBell

Everyone is focusing on the running game, the offensive line, improvement in the secondary, etc.

The most important thing we learned yesterday is that Arkansas now has the confidence to get punched in the mouth in the second half and answer right back.  Texas Tech had that 39-yard touchdown in the third quarter to make it 35-28.  It was plays like that against Rutgers, Auburn, A&M, etc. where we saw the momentum completely swing as Arkansas faded.

Arkansas had wins against Rutgers the last two years.  They had Mississippi State beat at home and LSU on the 1-yard line on the road.  I still don't know how they managed to lose to Ole Miss two years ago.  They had the talent to go to a bowl game the last two years, but they never had the confidence to get a victory when things didn't go their way.

Yes, most of the losses the last two years can be attributed to just being less talented than the opposition or poor execution, but at least 5-6 winnable games were lost when Arkansas just had no answer in the second half.

Yesterday, not only did they answer, but they dominated in the face of adversity.  That confidence will be crucial moving forward.

JayBell

You also had the "fumble" off of Collins on the opening drive of the game.

I knew 100% once Dean started waving his arms that the ball was going to touch an Arkansas player.  The defense just stopped a fast-paced offense, on the road, at the start of the game and then a turnover gives the ball right back to the offense for a touchdown.

Arkansas could have folded right then.  Instead, they marched right down the field and never looked back.

Lanny

This Razorback teams seems more confident every possesion.  That 13 play drive (all rushing yards) was the most dominate performance by a razorback team in a long time.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Tusks

Weren't the Hogs down 21-7 at barner and came back to tie it at 21 ?

They are over the adversity bug.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

moses_007

The difference I've seen is their ability to win the third and fourth quarters.  We didn't see that last year.  Frank Broyles used to harp about how important it was to win the fourth quarter, and he was absolutely right.  You can't win football games without winning the last stanza.

Seminole Indian

I watched TT play UCA and the UofA.

Both UCA and the UofA have big, physical, and tough OL's.

Their defenses are suspect.

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot, beyond that don't know what the game against this TT team  means for either going forward in their respective conferences.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

swinesation

All good points on this thread (well, except for the guy right above me). So far so good. Our resiliency will be thoroughly tested in weeks 5-7.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 01:24:55 pm

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot, beyond that don't know what the game against this TT team  means for either going forward in their respective conferences.

Well, I guess we all are way behind you red pups. Like any gives two schitz about your opinion.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2014, 01:28:47 pm
Well, I guess we all are way behind you red pups. Like any gives two schitz about your opinion.
Well that is what I though while watching the game. I did enjoy both games, but sorry UCA lost theirs.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

sickboy

Look, I like UCA. I even root for ASU to win. I root for Arkansas teams to win...

But this comment is just off its rocker. The Hogs would pound the snot out of UCA and it's not even close.

redeye

Good point Jay!

I was just making the same point with last year's games in another thread.  We've received praise for improving after hanging with Auburn for a half, but we did the same thing several times last year.  One I remember, that you didn't mention, is Florida.  We looked like we could have beaten Florida early in the game, but then things fell apart.  The parts were there, but something was missing, whether it was confidence or whatever.

hawg IQ

Quote from: redeye on September 14, 2014, 02:09:50 pm
Good point Jay!

I was just making the same point with last year's games in another thread.  We've received praise for improving after hanging with Auburn for a half, but we did the same thing several times last year.  One I remember, that you didn't mention, is Florida.  We looked like we could have beaten Florida early in the game, but then things fell apart.  The parts were there, but something was missing, whether it was confidence or whatever.
I think a team on the road that can ram it down your throat without being forced to pass is as humiliating as it gets.
   That said when we get back home on our own turf a more balanced attack can be used when folks stack the box. Receiver play and fast skilled types can be better utilized.

The big worry with me is still the defense, but improvement was there against a decent passing team with fast receivers.  A negative I did see yesterday was a lot of missed tackles and over running the guy with the ball.
   I would liked to have seen a few delayed type blitzes also.
go hogs go !

trashcan maN

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot,
Didn't your team just get stomped by a bad Miami team by 3 touchdowns? Go home, you're out of your league.

JoeyCapital

IMO the UofA is better than UCA, but not by a lot,

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read on here since the MrCoolHog days. Congrats.

I wish you guys luck in that pressure cooker they call the Sunbelt.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

WashUhog6

This is quite possibly the single worst post you have ever made, and that's saying something.

I'm a UCA alum so I care about UCA doing well. But if Arkansas and UCA played the score would be more similar to the Arkansas-Nicholls State game than anything else. UCA isn't even a very good FCS team this year.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hawg IQ on September 14, 2014, 02:23:32 pm
I think a team on the road that can ram it down your throat without being forced to pass is as humiliating as it gets.
   That said when we get back home on our own turf a more balanced attack can be used when folks stack the box. Receiver play and fast skilled types can be better utilized.

The big worry with me is still the defense, but improvement was there against a decent passing team with fast receivers.  A negative I did see yesterday was a lot of missed tackles and over running the guy with the ball.
   I would liked to have seen a few delayed type blitzes also.
Good post. I donr think you are giving the defense enough credit, Last year the only way we could stop a passing drive was by giving up a touchdown. Yesterday we saw pass break ups, interceptions, and tight coverage. Was it perfect? No. Was it light years ahead of what we have seen for the past two years? I think so.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

redeye

Quote from: WashUhog6 on September 14, 2014, 02:35:07 pm
This is quite possibly the single worst post you have ever made, and that's saying something.

I'm a UCA alum so I care about UCA doing well. But if Arkansas and UCA played the score would be more similar to the Arkansas-Nicholls State game than anything else. UCA isn't even a very good FCS team this year.

Well, UCA beat Nicholls 17-10 last year, so you're probably not wrong.

go hogues

Quote from: JayBell on September 14, 2014, 01:03:05 pm
You also had the "fumble" off of Collins on the opening drive of the game.

I knew 100% once Dean started waving his arms that the ball was going to touch an Arkansas player.  The defense just stopped a fast-paced offense, on the road, at the start of the game and then a turnover gives the ball right back to the offense for a touchdown.

Arkansas could have folded right then.  Instead, they marched right down the field and never looked back.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

OKC

The Hogs eased one of my concerns yesterday...I did not know if the had the resolve to win against a good team...let alone on the road. I knew they could hang with them, put up a fight, but until yesterday I had not seen them close out against a decent opponent...they did that yesterday. They looked better against the pass...several break-ups and a two good interceptions. I'm not counting the one the LB made (glad he did get the int, but thrown straight too him) but I really like the read and reaction of the one where he soared out of bounds....it is one game though and their are several areas that need to be improved...Great win, now I hope they focus on NIU.

The Hogfather

WTH?  You clueless, brah.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Laughing Hog

Quote from: OKC on September 14, 2014, 02:43:15 pm
The Hogs eased one of my concerns yesterday...I did not know if the had the resolve to win against a good team...let alone on the road. I knew they could hang with them, put up a fight, but until yesterday I had not seen them close out against a decent opponent...they did that yesterday. They looked better against the pass...several many break-ups and a two good interceptions. I'm not counting the one the LB made (glad he did get the int, but thrown straight too him) but I really like the read and reaction of the one where he soared out of bounds....it is one game though and their are several areas that need to be improved...Great win, now I hope they focus on NIU.

Thought that could use some 'adjusting'
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Seminole Indian

Shoot I though I was giving both schools a compliment.

Still not sure what the TT game  says when it comes to conference play because TT appeared in both games to have some major issues stopping either team. Are UCA and the UofA that good, or is TT that bad? I guess time will tell.

The Hogfather

UCA lost by 7 and we won by 21.  Is that now considered equivalent?

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 14, 2014, 04:01:33 pm
Depends on who the opposition is.    >:(  Oh, wait...

Vantage 8 dude

So according to you then IF the U of A and UCA played it would be a close game?! Now that IS one of the most ludicrous statements I've seen posted even for a site where lunacy is often rampant.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 14, 2014, 04:02:41 pm

No telling how bad the red pups would beat them.......

PorkRinds

Dude, shut up. There's a four touchdown difference between u of a and UCA at least. We would drum UCA about like we did Nichols.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 14, 2014, 04:02:41 pm

Well, UCA played AT TT and we played them.....oh, nevermind....

HF#1

We are so much tougher mentally this year than we were last year.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 14, 2014, 04:01:33 pm
I did not say they were equivalent, I said the UofA was better based on that game, but not by a lot better.

I say ASU is better than UCA because they beat Montana State at home, and Montana State beat UCA at their place, but they are not a lot better, based on the results of the games between a common opponent.

Don't know how ASU compares to the UofA because I'm not sure how the UofA compares to Miami or Tennessee. I would assume they are similar.

Do think the road for ASU is going to get a lot easier after this weekend, but not sure that is the case for the UofA or UCA.

secfan30

Wow, you're either the funniest most misunderstood person on this board or a sad inbreed with a poor agenda

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 14, 2014, 04:07:14 pm
Well, UCA played AT TT and we played them.....oh, nevermind....
I guess we'd better leave the brain stuff to Seminole Indian...

razorbackkid

Quote from: JayBell on September 14, 2014, 12:59:00 pm
Everyone is focusing on the running game, the offensive line, improvement in the secondary, etc.

The most important thing we learned yesterday is that Arkansas now has the confidence to get punched in the mouth in the second half and answer right back.  Texas Tech had that 39-yard touchdown in the third quarter to make it 35-28.  It was plays like that against Rutgers, Auburn, A&M, etc. where we saw the momentum completely swing as Arkansas faded.

Arkansas had wins against Rutgers the last two years.  They had Mississippi State beat at home and LSU on the 1-yard line on the road.  I still don't know how they managed to lose to Ole Miss two years ago.  They had the talent to go to a bowl game the last two years, but they never had the confidence to get a victory when things didn't go their way.

Yes, most of the losses the last two years can be attributed to just being less talented than the opposition or poor execution, but at least 5-6 winnable games were lost when Arkansas just had no answer in the second half.

Yesterday, not only did they answer, but they dominated in the face of adversity.  That confidence will be crucial moving forward.
+1  excellent observations.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Lanny on September 14, 2014, 01:06:05 pm
This Razorback teams seems more confident every possesion.  That 13 play drive (all rushing yards) was the most dominate performance by a razorback team in a long time.

Since 2010, the drive against LSU in the 4th Qt in LR. Similar with same result.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

jmb1973

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 04:09:28 pm
I did not say they were equivalent, I said the UofA was better based on that game, but not by a lot better.

I say ASU is better than UCA because they beat Montana State at home, and Montana State beat UCA at their place, but they are not a lot better, based on the results of the games between a common opponent.

Don't know how ASU compares to the UofA because I'm not sure how the UofA compares to Miami or Tennessee. I would assume they are similar.

Do think the road for ASU is going to get a lot easier after this weekend, but not sure that is the case for the UofA or UCA.

28 points better....That's a lot. My Bounty paper towels are stronger than your argument. Turn off the computer and lay of the drugs.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: jmb1973 on September 14, 2014, 04:23:24 pm

28 points better....That's a lot. My Bounty paper towels are stronger than your argument. Turn off the computer and lay of the drugs.
In that case you are probably right. They might do a little better than that but probably not a lot.

dmaxfan

Other than the pass for the td, our secondary was all over the receivers in the second half. I was more than happy at the secondary and the rest of the defense's effort.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Biggus Piggus

I wish Arkansas State would beat somebody so Shields could write something about them being the best team in the state again. That never fails to elicit laughter.
[CENSORED]!

Bacons Rebellion

One reason I believe we are playing with more confidence is that the coaching staff are showing confidence in their players.

You're going to throw a slant on us? We're going to stick our hand around you, knock it down, and not get a PI.

You're going to throw a sideline pattern? Our safety is going for a flying interception (Lidell) -- he's not going to wait and make sure you step out of bounds.

Nine in the box? I don't care. Run the 46 power.

However, the coaches can show confidence because the players are now becoming good enough to allow it.

So it's all a spiral upward, as opposed to the spiral downward of the last 2 years.

HERMANHOG

Let me translate what our friend Seminole Indian is saying. My team (red pups) is better than the Hogs. We can't beat a P5 although our fans predict victory always then we go get our a$$e$ whipped then spend the day after convincing ourselves that we really did not lose as bad as the score shows. We are conference champs (Mighty Sunbelt) So that has to make us better than the Hogs correct?
NO WAY
GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HERMANHOG on September 14, 2014, 08:02:01 pm
Let me translate what our friend Seminole Indian is saying. My team (red pups) is better than the Hogs. We can't beat a P5 although our fans predict victory always then we go get our a$$e$ whipped then spend the day after convincing ourselves that we really did not lose as bad as the score shows. We are conference champs (Mighty Sunbelt) So that has to make us better than the Hogs correct?
NO WAY
GO HOGS!!!!!!!
Not really.

While I don't think the Razorbacks are as good as Miami right now, I'm not sure they are not as good as, if not a little better then Tennessee. The Vols have some nice skill players, and their defense is not that bad but their OL is really lacking.

My guess is ASU would have done about  as well against the Razorbacks as they did against Tennessee, and it was a pretty good game.

Of course it takes ASU 4-5 games to break in these new coaches every year, so I do expect them to improve as the year goes along and be ready for their MAC opponent in their bowl game.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 08:17:09 pm
Not really.

While I don't think the Razorbacks are as good as Miami right now, I'm not sure they are not as good as, if not a little better then Tennessee. The Vols have some nice skill players, and their defense is not that bad but their OL is really lacking.

My guess is ASU would have done about  as well against the Razorbacks as they did against Tennessee, and it was a pretty good game.

Of course it takes ASU 4-5 games to break in these new coaches every year, so I do expect them to improve as the year goes along and be ready for their MAC opponent in their bowl game.

Says the guy who claims he isn't an asu fan.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2014, 08:19:42 pm
Says the guy who claims he isn't an asu fan.
Actually most people that know me think I'm a Tennessee fan.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hogfan1660

HERMANHOG

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2014, 08:17:09 pm
Not really.

I think you are confused with the improvement thing. The reason you start winning after 4-5 games is because you are playing conference games against weak teams(0-10 yesterday)

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HERMANHOG on September 14, 2014, 08:28:53 pm

I think you are confused with the improvement thing. The reason you start winning after 4-5 games is because you are playing conference games against weak teams(0-10 yesterday)
That is true to a degree, but they have lost to some bad teams in the transition period. The good thing is all is forgotten come bowl season.

They are a 3 point underdog this weekend, and that will probably be the last time they are not the favorite this year, and I think they have a good shot at beating Utah State..

Biggus Piggus

Miami blows, and they beat A State. Arkansas would crush Miami. End.
[CENSORED]!

popcornhog

Quote from: Lanny on September 14, 2014, 01:06:05 pm

Dominant. Physically dominant.

And you know, while I still have major concerns about the secondary -- they sure did get their hands on a lot of passes.
WPS