Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King quick to defuse any spark of enthusiasm

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogpkins

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 14, 2014, 01:38:46 pm
So let me get this right. After we get out first win over a "power 5" team people are complaining?

Not only did we win but we did whatever we wanted to against TTU. And people are still complaining. Wow. Only on Hogville. I think ole fakebobholt needs to get off the board. He also reported that KJ wasn't coming to ARK then called guys out because they were following guys on twatter but likes to hang around HS kids at the gym.

He'll just resprout like a weed. I'm pretty sure he's a resprout of some moron purged during the summer. The tragedy is that no matter how many people try to explain to him how wrong, ignorant, uninformed, and embarrassing his comments are, he doesn't have enough self-respect to just be quiet.

Supermark101

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am
Don't be hopeful, Razorback fans. "Tamper" your enthusiasm.

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-enthusiasm-should-be-tampered

Seriously - Harry does not write headlines, some illiterate goob does.

The only real question, Harry: Are all SEC teams on Arkansas's schedule more than 21 points better than Texas Tech?

Miss st and MAYBE Missouri, I would still be surpised if we make a bowl.

RexMentor

First -- some of you should show a man of Harry King's reputation and writing ability some damn respect. He's the best sports column writer in the state right now. He's had a long and very successful career in the business. I know, I've been in the business for more than 40 years.
Second -- you may disagree with his take on the game and what it means for the season. But, you have no right to demean the man because you disagree with him. That is childish and infantile.
Third -- The team looks measurably improved after three games. Whether that improvement can get the hogs to their goal this season remains to be seen. But, after 3 games, Arkansas' season is anything but derailed. The goals remain possible to achieve. It's a one game season every week. Enjoy the win. It was impressive. But, never forget there's more to accomplish and we'll see how it works out. There's a tough schedule ahead.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JoeyCapital

Quote from: RexMentor on September 14, 2014, 02:14:01 pm
First -- some of you should show a man of Harry King's reputation and writing ability some damn respect. He's the best sports column writer in the state right now. He's had a long and very successful career in the business. I know, I've been in the business for more than 40 years.
Second -- you may disagree with his take on the game and what it means for the season. But, you have no right to demean the man because you disagree with him. That is childish and infantile.
Third -- The team looks measurably improved after three games. Whether that improvement can get the hogs to their goal this season remains to be seen. But, after 3 games, Arkansas' season is anything but derailed. The goals remain possible to achieve. It's a one game season every week. Enjoy the win. It was impressive. But, never forget there's more to accomplish and we'll see how it works out. There's a tough schedule ahead.

You're absolutely right, Harry. We all apologize.

We promise to respect your authority, Harry.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Wildhog

you've got to be kidding me.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The NewEra

The only real question, Harry: Are all SEC teams on Arkansas's schedule more than 21 points better than Texas Tech?

Just one more guy who wants to protect us from ourselves. Don't be happy we are winning yet Hog Fans. We should wait till those so much smarter than the rest of us say it's ok to celebrate this programs advancements.

As for me, I'll choose when I want to be optimistic untill they start paying all of my bills.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

The NewEra

What planet are you from? 

Ex-Trumpet

After the muffed punt early, I nearly had a tamper tentrum.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2014, 02:19:44 pm
We wouldn't want Harry to lose his tamper.

Exactly. Gotta be careful not to lose one's tamper while tempering with others people's feeling.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RexMentor

First -- I'm not kidding;
Second -- I'm not Harry King;
Third -- I am from the planet Earth, western hemisphere, north American continent, united states, state of Arkansas.

Wildhog

Quote from: RexMentor on September 14, 2014, 02:29:45 pm
Third -- I am from the planet Earth, western hemisphere, north American continent, united states, state of Arkansas.

You should tell Harry to proofread his nonsense before it's published.
1909/1964/1965/1977

(notOM)Rebel123

Capitalization:
the act of writing or printing in capital letters

WilsonHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2014, 02:35:35 pm
You should tell Harry to proofread his nonsense before it's published.

A simple, two-step process:

(1) write and proofread column; and,

(2) throw said column in the trash.

PonderinHog

redeye

All but Vandy.

That seemed like a pretty good article to me.  He mentioned a drive which consumed over 7 minutes, which reminded me of our game-ending drive.  It started with over 9 minutes left on the clock and we still held the ball as the final seconds ticked off.

I can only speak for myself, but that seems very odd nowadays.  If I were Texas Tech, I would have felt sure that we'd have at least one more chance, and probably two, with over 9 minutes left.  Instead, Arkansas used up almost two-thirds of the 4th quarter with a single drive, running out the game clock.

Großer Kriegschwein

Trying to piss someone off?

Goob
This is my non-signature signature.

Hollywood_HOGan45

King is terrible.

Nutt/ broyles guy straight from the gobn.

Trottsky

I don't want to tamper with anyone's expatiations, but this win goes far in building this team's confidence.

Momentum is a funny thing. If the Hogs can get a win next week, who knows what the future might hold.

The past may dictate caution, but if you are unwilling to believe success is possible, why even play the game?

HogInTigerLand

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 14, 2014, 11:33:54 am
It was a good win but ill wait until we do thay on a SEC team. We throttle a high school team and beat a mid pack 6-7 win team and people are asking If we make the top 25. Tackling was as bad as I have ever seen. We havent proven we can pass effectively.  Good win but we need work in a couple areas. Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles. A win is a win though.

Nice to see Biggus own you and then step out of the thread!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

He can tampon his enthusiasm but keep it away from me.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Maddhog

If you can watch Coach B's postgame press conference and not have confidence in his leadership then it's your own problem - you are likely still in mourning for BP or GM or you are such a JL hater that you won't allow yourself to enjoy this team.   

As for Harry - No way will I allow him to "tamper" with my emotions, "temper" my enthusiasm or "tamp" down my support for this team and this coaching staff.   He does not have that power.   I make my own observations and decisions.   It is easier for me, however, because I'm not grieving for another coach, AD, etc.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

(notOM)Rebel123

Many in the Arkansas media are just upset with the fact that they don't enjoy the access they once did.

reddogjcss

We as fans should feel good with what we have seen so far. No we are not there yet but we are on the way!  Poo Harry

Pig In The City

Vantage 8 dude

You EARN respect. It's not given or earned merely because you've been around for a certain length of time. That's kind of like saying we should respect cheese just 'cause it's been aged a certain number of months or years.

Sorry to tell ole Harry this but just because the Hogs aren't likely at all to either play for the SECC or in the NCG doesn't mean we can't rejoice in finally seeing some notable improvement/progress with the program. Take your victory in small doses and enjoy them all!!!To me that's a very appropriate first step for all our fans.

razorjack12

I agree with what he wrote.  Look - he praised Arkansas for improvement.   But we also have a tough schedule ahead.

So tempering enthusiasm would be prudent at this time.

chitwnhog

I used to tamper with my thoughts. The nuns told me I was going to hell.

Pigsear

Quote from: oldhawg on September 14, 2014, 01:20:32 pm
Luckily I can savor the victory by the Razorbacks yesterday without concerning myself with other issues.

Don't have to worry about fixing shortcomings (someone else is payed to do that).

Not concerned about the next opponent (as a fan, I'll turn my attention to them about Wednesday).

I have no hidden agenda (don't care where the players and coaches are from as long as they play/work with passion, represent the University and the State well, and continue to improve, which will result in more wins).

Following two or three years of turmoil, I am comfortable with Jeff long and Bret Bielema as leaders of Arkansas athletics, and Arkansas football, respectively.

I am impressed with the staff Bielema has assembled.

Old wounds inflicted by past regimes in the Athletic Department (that also affect fans) are healing and the future of the football program appears to be on sound footing.

Don't feel a need to make excuses about the football program to anyone anywhere anymore.

Am just enjoying calling the Hogs, even if it usually is from the confines of my own living room, sharing the time with friends, or in a sports grill/bar somewhere.
Good post!!

Sivad

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 14, 2014, 11:59:03 am
Harry King is an idiot.
That verdict was pretty much in the night in the WMS press box ole HK announced Arkansas had made a mistake in running off his beloved Houston Dale Nutt.

AFWarrior83

What say you Mike Irwin? You seem to have a good beat on our team. You think well make a bowl?
Hogville member since 2005.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TNRazorbacker

I didn't see anything all that negative?

Basically reflects what most are saying... good win, enjoy it, getting better, no need to make post season plans just yet though.

I'd agree, let's enjoy it for what it is but not make it more.

Piggfoot

He's writing an opinion and everyone knows what opinions are like. He's as bad as Finebaum. He's a pot stirrer. He's a fire blower. It doesn't take a genius. To write his column. Why read it? It's nothing of importance. Don't buy the rag.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Sweet Pea

Never ceases to amaze me that some posters get so defensive about differing opinions. Thin skinned.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Sweet Pea on September 14, 2014, 06:04:16 pm
Never ceases to amaze me that some posters get so defensive about differing opinions. Thin skinned.
Thin-skinned is an understatement. An exposed throbbing raw nerve is more like it.

mhuff

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 14, 2014, 02:22:39 pm
Exactly. Gotta be careful not to lose one's tamper while tempering with others people's feeling.

Exactly LOL   ;D

cosmodrum

Quote from: Sweet Pea on September 14, 2014, 06:04:16 pm

I don't care for an opinion that tells me how to be a fan.

Go away, batin'

BPsTheMan

I'm going to sue Harry King and Rex Mentor for plagiarizing my likeness

Speedracer

Couldn't care less what Dallas Morning News, Paul Finebaum, Harry King or hogville thinks of the team. I look at the recruiting and the players' body language.  Signs say they're buying in and that is what has me ALMOST at a 180.

It's the hardest schedule in the country.  If this team goes 6-6 with being young and this grind...IMO, that's an accomplishment
Like smites bother me.

Phil D

Quote from: oldhawg on September 14, 2014, 01:20:32 pm
Luckily I can savor the victory by the Razorbacks yesterday without concerning myself with other issues.

Don't have to worry about fixing shortcomings (someone else is payed to do that).

Not concerned about the next opponent (as a fan, I'll turn my attention to them about Wednesday).

I have no hidden agenda (don't care where the players and coaches are from as long as they play/work with passion, represent the University and the State well, and continue to improve, which will result in more wins).

Following two or three years of turmoil, I am comfortable with Jeff long and Bret Bielema as leaders of Arkansas athletics, and Arkansas football, respectively.

I am impressed with the staff Bielema has assembled.

Old wounds inflicted by past regimes in the Athletic Department (that also affect fans) are healing and the future of the football program appears to be on sound footing.

Don't feel a need to make excuses about the football program to anyone anywhere anymore.

Am just enjoying calling the Hogs, even if it usually is from the confines of my own living room, sharing the time with friends, or in a sports grill/bar somewhere.

Excellent post and spot on.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Phil D

Lol you must be kidding, probably should take a sedative before you blow a gasket. ;)
GO HOGS!!!!!!

ShadowTheHedgehog

I rather read Shields than King and I never read Shields. Harry King has been trashing anything positive the Hogs do since HDN was let go.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I don't blame Harry for being negative.  When you are old your mind goes and your T level drops through the floor.  If you had a shriveled up old raisin and couldn't even remember the last time you used it you would be negative too.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

lefty08

Funny stuff right there, harry knows what hes doing. Since u claim to know him, tell him nutt isnt coming back regardless of BB being successful.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

NaturalStateReb

I respect a media member that's not all sunshine, but I still appreciate the occasional ray of light as much as the next man.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.