Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King quick to defuse any spark of enthusiasm

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greasy_corner

The sooner we stop reading, buying, and caring what these hacks have to say, the sooner their careers die off. 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2014, 09:50:12 pm
No, an illiterate goob did not write that hed. An overworked page designer (as opposed to an editor) rushing to beat an early deadline did.

He's a good guy who made a mistake. Given everything heaped on his plate, it's impressive he got the section out by deadline.

he shouldn't worry so much about his deadline

we don't care

Paul

I quit reading his articles years ago.  SeattleHog is an infinitely better writer.

Oklahawg

Quote from: RexMentor on September 14, 2014, 02:14:01 pm
First -- some of you should show a man of Harry King's reputation and writing ability some damn respect. He's the best sports column writer in the state right now. He's had a long and very successful career in the business. I know, I've been in the business for more than 40 years.

Harry wouldn't know what a jock was, so he can't even dream about holding Jim Harris' jock.

It speaks volumes about your writing career if you think Harry is anything close to Jim Harris.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

I do not care how overworked someone thinks he is (try my 80-hour weeks), that was no accidental mistake.

Or misteak? Need to make sure he can read this.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2014, 09:50:12 pm
No, an illiterate goob did not write that hed. An overworked page designer (as opposed to an editor) rushing to beat an early deadline did.

He's a good guy who made a mistake. Given everything heaped on his plate, it's impressive he got the section out by deadline.

We're all overworked, we all have deadlines, and yes, we all make mistakes...doesn't mean we don't get called out on them!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WilsonHog

The Hogfather

What pisses me off about guys like Harry is that his "tampering" of enthusiasm only applies to Arkansas fans.

For instance, I heard him on the radio this morning basically saying the same thing his article is saying.  "Tech is worse than the 7 SEC teams we have left to play", "Before I get too excited, I want to see them do that against a decent team", "Texas Tech had the worst defense I've ever seen", etc.

Then, they started talking about LSU and that they won 31-0 against Louisiana-Monroe.  Tommy Smith said something like, "Who would've ever thought that LSU would win with defense?".  Harry commented on how impressive it was that they shut ULM out.  Tommy started saying, "Yeah, but it was against Sisters of the Poor (he used another term)."  Harry jumped in and said, "I don't care who it was against, if you can shutout a team nowadays, that's impressive."

If LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc. does it, it is AWESOME and everyone should heap praise.  If Arkansas does it, stop getting so excited (simply celebrating a win), we can't do it against decent teams.

three hog night

Quote from: oldhawg on September 14, 2014, 01:20:32 pm
Luckily I can savor the victory by the Razorbacks yesterday without concerning myself with other issues.

Don't have to worry about fixing shortcomings (someone else is payed to do that).

Not concerned about the next opponent (as a fan, I'll turn my attention to them about Wednesday).

I have no hidden agenda (don't care where the players and coaches are from as long as they play/work with passion, represent the University and the State well, and continue to improve, which will result in more wins).

Following two or three years of turmoil, I am comfortable with Jeff long and Bret Bielema as leaders of Arkansas athletics, and Arkansas football, respectively.

I am impressed with the staff Bielema has assembled.

Old wounds inflicted by past regimes in the Athletic Department (that also affect fans) are healing and the future of the football program appears to be on sound footing.

Don't feel a need to make excuses about the football program to anyone anywhere anymore.

Am just enjoying calling the Hogs, even if it usually is from the confines of my own living room, sharing the time with friends, or in a sports grill/bar somewhere.

This is a thing of beauty
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 07:35:45 am
What pisses me off about guys like Harry is that his "tampering" of enthusiasm only applies to Arkansas fans.

For instance, I heard him on the radio this morning basically saying the same thing his article is saying.  "Tech is worse than the 7 SEC teams we have left to play", "Before I get too excited, I want to see them do that against a decent team", "Texas Tech had the worst defense I've ever seen", etc.

Then, they started talking about LSU and that they won 31-0 against Louisiana-Monroe.  Tommy Smith said something like, "Who would've ever thought that LSU would win with defense?".  Harry commented on how impressive it was that they shut ULM out.  Tommy started saying, "Yeah, but it was against Sisters of the Poor (he used another term)."  Harry jumped in and said, "I don't care who it was against, if you can shutout a team nowadays, that's impressive."

If LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc. does it, it is AWESOME and everyone should heap praise.  If Arkansas does it, stop getting so excited (simply celebrating a win), we can't do it against decent teams.

Why wouldn't Smith expect LSU to win with defense?  First, it's ULM.  Second, the Tigers are breaking in a new quarterback. Don't know why that would surprise anyone. 

King is right about one thing--it's pretty hard to shut anyone out these days.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The Hogfather

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 15, 2014, 08:25:14 am
Why wouldn't Smith expect LSU to win with defense?  First, it's ULM.  Second, the Tigers are breaking in a new quarterback. Don't know why that would surprise anyone. 

Smith was being facetious.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 15, 2014, 08:28:48 am
Smith was being facetious.

Ah.  Sometimes it's hard to get tone when you're reading it.  lol
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The Hogfather

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 15, 2014, 08:25:14 am

No doubt.  My rub is that King is singing LSU's praises, but if Arkansas blanked ULM, he would be saying, "don't get too excited, it was just ULM".

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Shorttimer

September 15, 2014, 08:36:43 am #114 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:57:52 am by Shorttimer
Quote from: RexMentor on September 14, 2014, 02:14:01 pm
First -- some of you should show a man of Harry King's reputation and writing ability some damn respect. He's the best sports column writer in the state right now. He's had a long and very successful career in the business. I know, I've been in the business for more than 40 years.
Second -- you may disagree with his take on the game and what it means for the season. But, you have no right to demean the man because you disagree with him. That is childish and infantile.
Third -- The team looks measurably improved after three games. Whether that improvement can get the hogs to their goal this season remains to be seen. But, after 3 games, Arkansas' season is anything but derailed. The goals remain possible to achieve. It's a one game season every week. Enjoy the win. It was impressive. But, never forget there's more to accomplish and we'll see how it works out. There's a tough schedule ahead.
Harry's fine, but for years he has written as if he feels it's his professional responsibility to rein in fan expectations.  It's become his M.O.  And as I've pointed out many times here, overly negative is no more objective than overly positive.

Harry's information is often good, but always accompanied by a pessimistic slant.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Shorttimer on September 15, 2014, 08:36:43 am
Harry's fine, but for years he has written as if he feels it's his professional responsibility to reign in fan expectations.  It's become his M.O.  And as I've pointed out many times here, overly negative is no more objective than overly positive.

Harry's information is often good, but always accompanied by a pessimistic slant.

Could not say it better myself.  This is my rub with Harry.

EastexHawg

Just a few thoughts:

1.  Alex Collins finally had his "take it to the house" run, the first time he's gone the distance after breaking into the clear.  That monkey is off his back.

2.  Tevin Mitchell showed early why he was thought to be such a great get when we signed him.  Rohan Gaines was impressive, too.

3.  I am not at all impressed with Tech's QB.  Not even a little bit.  I've never seen a QB stand still as a statue and stare at a receiver to the degree he did it.  Two or three times I thought the play must have been blown dead because he absolutely stood still as a wooden Indian.

4.  Brandon Allen showed some wheels.

5.  This was easily the most impressive win of the Bielema "era".  Is our running game really that dominant, is Tech's defense really that helpless, or both?

6.  At least Harry King knows the difference between "tempered" and "tampered" since he used the term in the body of the piece.  That's a relief.   

DeltaBoy

Harry needs to lose his Stick and be more positive.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's DBs and LBs said the scouting report told them Webb tended to lock on a receiver rather than progress through reads. That is why they were looking at the QB when he dropped back - waiting for Webb to signal where he was going with the football. Texas Tech really could use one of those two QBs who transferred, for some competition at least.
[CENSORED]!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2014, 08:47:20 am
Harry needs to lose his Stick and be more positive.

I agree. Why blame Arkansas fans for celebrating this type of win we havent had in a while?
We havent beaten anyone of importance since the monsoon in fayetteville vs Kentucky!

lefty08

To me it all started when he lost his  best friend, the beloved paul eels, his attitude about the hogs and his work has never been the same
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

EastexHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 15, 2014, 09:04:41 am
Arkansas's DBs and LBs said the scouting report told them Webb tended to lock on a receiver rather than progress through reads. That is why they were looking at the QB when he dropped back - waiting for Webb to signal where he was going with the football. Texas Tech really could use one of those two QBs who transferred, for some competition at least.

As far as I know the only other scholarship QB on the Tech roster is freshman Patrick Mahomes, who was last year's Texas high school player of the year.  He threw for something like 4,000 yards with 50 TDs and 4 interceptions.  He's also a tremendous athlete who can run when necessary.  If I were Kingsbury I would start trying to get him some snaps.

snoblind

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 15, 2014, 09:04:41 am

Screwing over 2 QB's from one of the premier high school programs in Texas that run that type of offense is not conducive to recruiting success.  I have two friends from Lakeway that were at the game.  One of those QB's mom was certainly enjoying our thrashing of Tech according to her texts to my friends during the game.

Trottsky

EastexHawg

Quote from: greasy_corner on September 14, 2014, 09:48:38 pm
The sooner we stop reading, buying, and caring what these hacks have to say, the sooner their careers die off.

What makes him a hack?  That his opinion differs from yours?

We've become an extremely intolerant society.  Anyone who doesn't agree or offers a differing view needs to go away no matter how thoughtful his dissent may be.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Trottsky on September 15, 2014, 10:29:03 am
Kingsbury a quarterback killer?

He coached Johnny Manziel and I believe Case Keenum so at least so far the tag doesn't seem to fit.

TheRazorbackGuy

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 15, 2014, 11:27:15 am
What makes him a hack?  That his opinion differs from yours?

We've become an extremely intolerant society.  Anyone who doesn't agree or offers a differing view needs to go away no matter how thoughtful his dissent may be.

I like Harry as a person. The article seemed to take the wrong angle. First cause to celebrate in years is not the time to come in with the fire extinguisher.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 15, 2014, 12:01:26 pm
PorkHinds, Who is Harry King?

Therazorbackgay, the way I understand it he's Bobby Shields' granddad. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 15, 2014, 12:03:26 pm
I like Harry as a person. The article seemed to take the wrong angle. First cause to celebrate in years is not the time to come in with the fire extinguisher.
It doesn't take much football knowledge to see the direction this program is going.  When all the pieces are in place, and the line play on offense starts attracting awesome talent at the skill positions, Arkansas will once again be among the elite teams in college football.  If Bielema hangs around, we just might see the kind of success we had in the 60's.  Seriously, there's no telling where this train can go. 

Trottsky

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 15, 2014, 11:29:10 am
He coached Johnny Manziel and I believe Case Keenum so at least so far the tag doesn't seem to fit.

When you're head coach, sometimes it's a different story.

PORKULATOR

Harry King is a douchenozzle, but for some stupid reason, the Little Rock media respects him. Makes ya kinda wonder who he caught doing who.
And in case your wondering, we're winninng 4 or 5 Sec games this year. For real! Wait til these kids get confident and reallg start hitting people in the mouth.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2014, 12:09:44 pm
Therazorbackgay, the way I understand it he's Bobby Shields' granddad. 

PorkHinds, so I guess he is one of those old school writers that thinks "Football was better in those days! Otto Graham would be twice the player that Tom Brady is!" Old school that gives no respect to the evolving game of football.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 15, 2014, 03:33:54 pm
PorkHinds, so I guess he is one of those old school writers that thinks "Football was better in those days! Otto Graham would be twice the player that Tom Brady is!" Old school that gives no respect to the evolving game of football.
You are treading on thin ice with how you worded that here.

Just be glad you did not  mention the coaches at Auburn or Louisville.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Calvin Swine

I recently saw Harry and Wally posing together for a photo op.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am
Don't be hopeful, Razorback fans. "Tamper" your enthusiasm.

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-enthusiasm-should-be-tampered

Seriously - Harry does not write headlines, some illiterate goob does.

The only real question, Harry: Are all SEC teams on Arkansas's schedule more than 21 points better than Texas Tech?
many are.  At least we look like an SEC team now.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:41:23 am
Tackling as bad as you have ever seen? Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles? Damn now you are making up darn to complain about. Do you have a hangover?

Arkansas does FAR BETTER than you will admit you ever expected, out of your overweening pride, and all you can do is complain. Miserable. Go do something besides Hogville for a while. Every post you make proclaims, "I am disappointed Arkansas did not lose, and everyone's cheer is making me mad."

You can tell the people who don't want to like this team. They grade on a sliding scale. If the team does well, then "we have a lot to work on." If the team loses, "Coach Bielema's in trouble." Most Razorback fans know the team is coming off two losing seasons, know there are talent limitations at some positions, and just want to see the Hogs overachieve. They did that yesterday. That is cause for celebration.

No need to remind yourself Arkansas's not going to win the rest of its games, doesn't have the players to fix some of its limitations. Wholly unnecessary. Wasted energy. Like arguing with you.
fakebobholt was just one-arm side-swiped like a TTech D-lineman by Dan Skipper.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 15, 2014, 12:03:26 pm
He just said what every hog fan knows.

we beat a decent team on the road.  but we have yet to get a conference win.

Do that, and we can say that the team has definitely turned the corner.

Its a long road ahead, but I think they can scrap out some wins.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:41:23 am
Tackling as bad as you have ever seen? Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles? Damn now you are making up darn to complain about. Do you have a hangover?

Arkansas does FAR BETTER than you will admit you ever expected, out of your overweening pride, and all you can do is complain. Miserable. Go do something besides Hogville for a while. Every post you make proclaims, "I am disappointed Arkansas did not lose, and everyone's cheer is making me mad."

You can tell the people who don't want to like this team. They grade on a sliding scale. If the team does well, then "we have a lot to work on." If the team loses, "Coach Bielema's in trouble." Most Razorback fans know the team is coming off two losing seasons, know there are talent limitations at some positions, and just want to see the Hogs overachieve. They did that yesterday. That is cause for celebration.

No need to remind yourself Arkansas's not going to win the rest of its games, doesn't have the players to fix some of its limitations. Wholly unnecessary. Wasted energy. Like arguing with you.

I agree 100%.  Biggus for the win and did not throw one pass!!!

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 15, 2014, 08:26:51 pm
He just said what every hog fan knows.

we beat a decent team on the road.  but we have yet to get a conference win.

Do that, and we can say that the team has definitely turned the corner.

Its a long road ahead, but I think they can scrap out some wins.

Nobody with a lick of sense is suggesting this win means we've turned the corner, but at least now we can see that there is a damn corner.