Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King quick to defuse any spark of enthusiasm

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Don't be hopeful, Razorback fans. "Tamper" your enthusiasm.

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-enthusiasm-should-be-tampered

Seriously - Harry does not write headlines, some illiterate goob does.

The only real question, Harry: Are all SEC teams on Arkansas's schedule more than 21 points better than Texas Tech?
[CENSORED]!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 am

The only real question, Harry: Are all SEC teams on Arkansas's schedule more than 21 points better than Texas Tech?
Poor old H.K. Never met a negative or down thought/comment he didn't absolutely love.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

LRRandy

Wether enthusiasm should be tampered or not remains to be seen. What can be seen is a big step forward for CBB and his razorback football program. Yesterday's games was key for any  hope of  going to a bowl. Not only was it a win but a convincing win against more than a cupcake. Something to build on.
This is fun, isn't it.

rljjr

Biggus, I hear you, but there are also illiterate editors involved. Harry should be furious because it makes him look stupid. There is no way that should have ever made it to print (or electrons, if you will). There was a day not too long ago when people took pride in their work.

Jeffcphog

Just because Harry has been around for a long time people tend to believe everything he writes.  I don't let if effect me.  Go Hogs.  I love every point they make, and it makes no matter who they are playing.

fakebobholt

It was a good win but ill wait until we do thay on a SEC team. We throttle a high school team and beat a mid pack 6-7 win team and people are asking If we make the top 25. Tackling was as bad as I have ever seen. We havent proven we can pass effectively.  Good win but we need work in a couple areas. Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles. A win is a win though.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pickwick Hog

WTH is wrong with some people? I will damn well celebrate and be enthusiastic as long as I feel like it.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 14, 2014, 11:33:54 am
It was a good win but ill wait until we do thay on a SEC team. We throttle a high school team and beat a mid pack 6-7 win team and people are asking If we make the top 25. Tackling was as bad as I have ever seen. We havent proven we can pass effectively.  Good win but we need work in a couple areas. Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles. A win is a win though.

Tackling as bad as you have ever seen? Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles? Damn now you are making up darn to complain about. Do you have a hangover?

Arkansas does FAR BETTER than you will admit you ever expected, out of your overweening pride, and all you can do is complain. Miserable. Go do something besides Hogville for a while. Every post you make proclaims, "I am disappointed Arkansas did not lose, and everyone's cheer is making me mad."

You can tell the people who don't want to like this team. They grade on a sliding scale. If the team does well, then "we have a lot to work on." If the team loses, "Coach Bielema's in trouble." Most Razorback fans know the team is coming off two losing seasons, know there are talent limitations at some positions, and just want to see the Hogs overachieve. They did that yesterday. That is cause for celebration.

No need to remind yourself Arkansas's not going to win the rest of its games, doesn't have the players to fix some of its limitations. Wholly unnecessary. Wasted energy. Like arguing with you.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Good beatdown Biggus. Almost as dominating as the Hogs yesterday.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig Worshipper

Harry is just getting a little old and grouchy but much of what he said was true. There are still some losses coming our way this season and the defense is definitely a work in progress. But, boy howdy, we have looked SO much better than last year so far.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 14, 2014, 11:45:49 am
Harry is just getting a little old and grouchy but much of what he said was true. There are still some losses coming our way this season and the defense is definitely a work in progress. But, boy howdy, we have looked SO much better than last year so far.
So the sage Harry King predicts there are more losses coming and that there still needs to be much improvement to be made?! And golly here I was thinking that the Hogs were sure to play for the SEC and national championships this year. Color me shocked and disappointed that we very definitely won't be. In the meantime though I'll still take some very good satisfaction we not only beat a team that many predicted we'd lose to, but did it in a smashing manner and ON THE ROAD. Give it a rest Harry.

SoCal Hog

I think its OK to be positive and enthusiastic about the victory over a old rival at their place, especially when they were favored by many "experts."

Just think what Hogville would be like today if the game had turned out in the opposite--Hogs give up 499 yards, 438 of which is passing yardage, defense unable to get off the field, etc, etc.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Biggus Piggus

The only over-enthusiasm that ever bugs me = when people over-project + then when the team fails to be great in the future, they turn into angry, overly critical haters.
[CENSORED]!

1highhog

Tackling was bad, not as bad as I've ever seen, if it's as bad as you've ever seen you just started watching the Hogs this year and didn't watch a game they played last year or the year before CBB was here.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SoCal Hog on September 14, 2014, 11:50:24 am
I think its OK to be positive and enthusiastic about the victory over a old rival at their place, especially when they were favored by many "experts."

Just think what Hogville would be like today if the game had turned out in the opposite--Hogs give up 499 yards, 438 of which is passing yardage, defense unable to get off the field, etc, etc.
Ahh....but there in lies the rub. Some on here would be (not so) secretly cackling with delight at another failure by CBB and staff. Some will never forgive the fact that either/or CBP was canned for what he should have been fired for/St. Augustus wasn't anointed lord and savior of the Hog's program.

HF#1

Harry is old and senile.  If we get beat by a very good A&M team, he will label the season as lost and no hope for a bowl game. 

He is just like the Bielema detractors.  He doesn't realize that players improve, teams get better.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

cosmodrum

Ole Harry needs a warm glass of milk and a nap on his Tamperpedic.
Go away, batin'

hawgbawb

Lots of improvement but Harry is reminding everyone that we have yet to beat a good team. By all means get excited, but don't get unrealistic.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

RunHogruN

I know that TT's D can't be confused for a SEC defense, but The hogs did convert some crucial passes in this game to continue drives. The Hog D showed a little life by getting turnovers yesterday. The D is a work in progress and isnt perfect by any means, but I can see their effort on the field.  I think their mindset is slowly changing that if the offense makes a mistake and turn the ball over the D can go out there and get the ball back via TO or force the punt.  The players are starting to believe and you can see their confidence on the field. Last year this team would have wilted on pressure alone, but yesterday was different they took the challenge head on. 
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

1highhog

Harry King is a wimp, and is as bad as Shields, trying desperately to save a dying career.  Of course you want to have enthusiasm over beating a team like Tech, they're from the Big 12 and a old foe that used to be a common little brother we took pleasure in beating on a regular basis, it was nice to add to that huge winning % over them.  That doesn't mean we're going to think now we're going to just walk through the SEC undefeated, but it does show even the most cynical CBB critic that this team is coming around faster than expected, last year, we would have gotten rolled by this same Tech team.  They wasn't in our league yesterday.  Anybody watching the Recruiting Forum and seeing the positive results coming from our Coaches hard work, and seeing that the recruits that they brought in last year are already playing significant time over what was here shows our Coaches have and eye for talent, we'll win some SEC games this year, LSU for sure.

dhornjr1

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 14, 2014, 12:01:25 pm
Ole Harry needs a warm glass of milk and a nap on his Tamperpedic.

Don't lose your tamper over this.

Greyhands

Biggus Piggus

Good note up there about the people who can't let go of Petrino and/or Malzahn.

It is funny talking to Auburn folks. They believe Malzahn is a genius who is permanently changing the landscape of college football. But they cannot for the life of them explain what he does so well.

I am glad Malzahn is at Auburn and we play them every season. Very happy about that. Looking forward to the future.
[CENSORED]!

Qadi999

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 11:41:23 am
Tackling as bad as you have ever seen? Better faster backs go to the house with that many missed tackles? Damn now you are making up darn to complain about. Do you have a hangover?

Arkansas does FAR BETTER than you will admit you ever expected, out of your overweening pride, and all you can do is complain. Miserable. Go do something besides Hogville for a while. Every post you make proclaims, "I am disappointed Arkansas did not lose, and everyone's cheer is making me mad."

You can tell the people who don't want to like this team. They grade on a sliding scale. If the team does well, then "we have a lot to work on." If the team loses, "Coach Bielema's in trouble." Most Razorback fans know the team is coming off two losing seasons, know there are talent limitations at some positions, and just want to see the Hogs overachieve. They did that yesterday. That is cause for celebration.

No need to remind yourself Arkansas's not going to win the rest of its games, doesn't have the players to fix some of its limitations. Wholly unnecessary. Wasted energy. Like arguing with you.
First off Coach B has not done anything more then he should have. He has beat two team That he should beat ,Until he beat someone he is not supposed to beat he and this team will be subject to doubt . For as many positives that I can pick out about this team there are just as many negatives  to be picked ,and twice as many unknowns. I think you miss Harry's point ,his point is that while this team has improved it not a given that it will be enough for SEC competition. WE all know that hog fans will over react to things and have unrealistic expatiation's ,and when things don't turn out the way they think they will start calling for heads to roll.

opineonswine

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 14, 2014, 12:13:04 pm
First off Coach B has not done anything more then he should have. He has beat two team That he should beat ,Until he beat someone he is not supposed to beat he and this team will be subject to doubt . For as many positives that I can pick out about this team there are just as many negatives  to be picked ,and twice as many unknowns. I think you miss Harry's point ,his point is that while this team has improved it not a given that it will be enough for SEC competition. WE all know that hog fans will over react to things and have unrealistic expatiation's ,and when things don't turn out the way they think they will start calling for heads to roll.
Huh?

hawgcaller

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I am curious as to who Harry picked to win this matchup.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgcaller on September 14, 2014, 12:16:33 pm
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I am curious as to who Harry picked to win this matchup.

Harry originally predicted Texas Tech would win, but he changed to a close Arkansas win after the Red Raiders' first two games.
[CENSORED]!

lefty08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2014, 12:11:44 pm
Good note up there about the people who can't let go of Petrino and/or Malzahn.

It is funny talking to Auburn folks. They believe Malzahn is a genius who is permanently changing the landscape of college football. But they cannot for the life of them explain what he does so well.

I am glad Malzahn is at Auburn and we play them every season. Very happy about that. Looking forward to the future.

Agree 100%
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Seebs

I walked on Harry King's front lawn once.

Once.

He is a dangerous man.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

RunHogruN

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 14, 2014, 12:13:04 pm
I agree with some of your points about not over reacting, but wasnt TT favored -2.5 doesnt that mean Arkansas was the underdog and meant to lose this game especially it was on the road.  Look i will be the first to admit that the Hogs are far from being a superior team in the SEC, but I think some people's goal for this team this year like myself was to see improvements. I am happy to see the improvements in my opinon that I see compared to last years team.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

WashUhog6

I think it's funny how many of the people who are usually negative have fallen back to the line of "well Bielema only beat a team that he should have" when nearly *everyone* was chalking this game up as a loss only a couple of weeks ago.

oldhawg

Luckily I can savor the victory by the Razorbacks yesterday without concerning myself with other issues.

Don't have to worry about fixing shortcomings (someone else is payed to do that).

Not concerned about the next opponent (as a fan, I'll turn my attention to them about Wednesday).

I have no hidden agenda (don't care where the players and coaches are from as long as they play/work with passion, represent the University and the State well, and continue to improve, which will result in more wins).

Following two or three years of turmoil, I am comfortable with Jeff long and Bret Bielema as leaders of Arkansas athletics, and Arkansas football, respectively.

I am impressed with the staff Bielema has assembled.

Old wounds inflicted by past regimes in the Athletic Department (that also affect fans) are healing and the future of the football program appears to be on sound footing.

Don't feel a need to make excuses about the football program to anyone anywhere anymore.

Am just enjoying calling the Hogs, even if it usually is from the confines of my own living room, sharing the time with friends, or in a sports grill/bar somewhere.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Realistic fans and media REALIZE that not everyone with a little enthusiasm is expecting this team to win out and run the ball for 400+ yards a game.

It blows my mind that after a big win, some think pouring cold water on even a bit of enthusiasm is necessary.

King even made a comment about how he couldn't believe so many people were calling this a pivotal game since the schedule came out...

I have said for months that the two most critical games on the schedule would be played on Texass soil: Tech and A&M.

Not because of recruiting so much as knowing that if we could not beat Tech, beating an A&M team with basically the same offense with better athletes and a better defense would be virtually impossible.

Do the math Harry! With this schedule, getting to six wins w/o a win over Tech would be  all uphill and would almost certainly mean a beatdown by A&M.

Does this mean we beat A&M and get to 6 or more wins and a bowl? Maybe, maybe not, but there was NO scenario involving a bowl for this team without a win over Texas Tech!

Winning is better than losing and a 3 TD beatdown is usually better than a squeaker as far as forecasting future results.

This team could possibly fall short of 6 wins with the schedule we play, but I'll be d@#$ed if I'll pour cold water on a three TD win over a Big 5 conference team that won a bowl last season over a Pac 12 school!

I will show enthusiasm over the progress being made (while realizing it doesn't make us a powerhouse) and if Harry King or any other Chicken Little naysayer doesn't like it, too bad!

Am I the only one who has noticed that Wee Wally and the people who always compare the Hogs unfavorably to AS-Who when we lose and they win have nothing to say when the reverse happens?
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Tejano Jawg

I don't really think we "over-achieved" vs Texas Tech. That was who we are, and who we can be. I'd say we were very solid...but on D, I admit we were certainly helped out by their QB at times. I want to over-achieve against the likes of LSU, Georgia and the Mississippis.

Man, if you're not happy by the last 2 weeks, you do need to go somewhere else. After the past 2 seasons, and all those Ls, isn't it at least a nice change of pace (even for the most extreme pessimists)? I truly don't have a memory of a positive feeling during John L's year. Last year, I almost did (LSU).

Last week we blew out a lower-level team. Sure. But how many times did we struggle against someone like that, and maybe pull out a 10 pt win? Even in Bobby's time.

And yesterday...we were sharp, played a clean game, fought off the crowd, actually made a few plays on D, AND even earned 2 more ESPN helmet stickers. Right this minute, things are good.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

31to6

The only thing that differentiates his article from most of the drivel spewed by the "realist" posters here is that he used the word 'dominant' correctly.

Mr. Porkleone

RazorPiggie

So let me get this right. After we get out first win over a "power 5" team people are complaining?

Not only did we win but we did whatever we wanted to against TTU. And people are still complaining. Wow. Only on Hogville. I think ole fakebobholt needs to get off the board. He also reported that KJ wasn't coming to ARK then called guys out because they were following guys on twatter but likes to hang around HS kids at the gym.

rzrbackrob

The Hogs have lost 13 straight SEC games.

Getting one, much less two SEC wins this season to become bowl eligible will be very tough for this still young team that is just learning how to win. To see what a daunting task it will be to win two SEC games this year:

Here are the SEC games the Hogs play and the opponent's ranking from todays Coaches poll:
#5 Auburn
#7 Aggies
#2 Alabama
#14 Georgia
#27 Miss St
#8 LSU
#12 Ole Miss
#19 Mizzou

Hogs play 4 teams in the top 10 and 7 teams in the top 20. The entire big 12-2-2+2 has only 3 teams in the top 20. The Hogs might be the third best team in the big 12-2-2+2 or any other conference besides the SEC.

Great day to be a Hog fan, and much better days are ahead.

Good is the enemy of great

Bubba's Bruisers

Cautiously optimistic.  We performed exactly as we needed to perform the last two weeks.  Taking on the personality of the HC.  Improvements are obvious.  Still plenty of room for improvement.  Foundation taking shape.

Do I think 7 or 8 wins?  Nah.  But I think 6 wins with a bowl appearance is certainly realistic.  And such a result would be magnificent for this program at this stage. 

One brick at a time.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

(notOM)Rebel123

"I love winning man....I love winning it's like.....better than losing." 
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoosier

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 14, 2014, 01:25:32 pm
I don't really think we "over-achieved" vs Texas Tech. That was who we are, and who we can be. I'd say we were very solid...but on D, I admit we were certainly helped out by their QB at times. I want to over-achieve against the likes of LSU, Georgia and the Mississippis.

Man, if you're not happy by the last 2 weeks, you do need to go somewhere else. After the past 2 seasons, and all those Ls, isn't it at least a nice change of pace (even for the most extreme pessimists)? I truly don't have a memory of a positive feeling during John L's year. Last year, I almost did (LSU).

Last week we blew out a lower-level team. Sure. But how many times did we struggle against someone like that, and maybe pull out a 10 pt win? Even in Bobby's time.

And yesterday...we were sharp, played a clean game, fought off the crowd, actually made a few plays on D, AND even earned 2 more ESPN helmet stickers. Right this minute, things are good.
Yep

hog911

Short answer yes! Don't get me wrong we looked much much better on Saturday, but TT will probably be the tenth best team we play this year.

Wildhog

The "tamper" thing is inexcusable for a guy that is paid to write.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977