Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dare I say it, regarding the "Idiotic" reverse play call...

Started by Augustus, September 14, 2014, 01:03:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

If T Tech's lineman hadn't been all over Collins, during that pitch...

That play would have turned out much differently. It may very well have turned into 6 points.

Obviously, it was either a broken play, or a mismatch. This "pitchforks out for Jim Chaney", is a bit unwarranted, IMHO.  Chaney still managed a helluva game.

Am I happy about the result of that play call? Absolutely not.

BUT... had that play been executed as designed, there's not a single one of you that would bitching about it, after the fact.

There's a whole lot of people on here who have been bitching about Bielema/Chaney opening up the playbook... don't start bitching the minute they DO open it up, and something doesn't go right with the execution.

It was a blown up play. Nothing more, nothing less.

HogInFlorida

That's not the point. It was an unneeded unnecessary risk that was taken and we paid for it. There's absolutely no justification for getting cute like that when slamming the A gap is a sure 5 yards per carry. It was corrected in the 2nd half and there was absolutely no cutesy stuff which made me very happy.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Augustus

Quote from: HogInFlorida on September 14, 2014, 01:07:23 am
That's not the point. It was an unneeded unnecessary risk that was taken and we paid for it. There's absolutely no justification for getting cute like that when slamming the A gap is a sure 5 yards per carry. It was corrected in the 2nd half and there was absolutely no cutesy stuff which made me very happy.

Again... had the play been executed as designed, you wouldn't be bitching about now.

Unless you're bitching about the flea-flicker in the 1st quarter also? I may have missed that.

All I'm saying is... Chaney put together a solid game. Clearly, b/c we won by 3 TD's. Much more than I ever expected.

Let's not call for his job based off of one play call?

redeye

yraciv

People love trick plays when they work and hate them when they don't.   I agree with your sentiment.

Augustus

Quote from: yraciv on September 14, 2014, 01:14:51 am
People love trick plays when they work and hate them when they don't.   I agree with your sentiment.

I'm not even sure I'd classify a reverse as a "trick play"

We just had a busted play, by a Tech lineman, all over Collins as he was making a pitch.

Nothing more, nothing less.

popcornhog

Quote from: Augustus on September 14, 2014, 01:12:07 am
Again... had the play been executed as designed, you wouldn't be bitching about now.

Unless you're bitching about the flea-flicker in the 1st quarter also? I may have missed that.

All I'm saying is... Chaney put together a solid game. Clearly, b/c we won by 3 TD's. Much more than I ever expected.

Who's calling for his head?
WPS

blu

I'm sure not +1 to the OP. But the name of our forum is MMQB!
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Junkyard Hog

Exactly.

They couldn't hit our fastball so we decide to throw the change up?

Trick plays cost us a game or two last year as well.

TMc

Exactly.., you pull this play out of the hat when there is a need.  Not when you jamming down their throat for 5-10 yards a pop.

Soooie21

ChitownHawg

Absolutely. Against a better team that risk could have turned the game.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

RickJames

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Augustus on September 14, 2014, 01:12:07 am

Not calling for his head, but he has to take on the HC's attitude of pound it as long as they cannot stop it. This is not the first game where he has called a play that made people go "What the heck was that?" Hopefully CBB has gotten the message across to CJC.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

hogrocker

At that point, we were still in a dogfight.  He was trying to keep them off balance.  Sometimes bad plays happen.  I questioned the play when called, but it makes more sense now.  We just didn't block it well, and that was about the only time all day we didn't block well.

Steef

Quote from: hogrocker on September 14, 2014, 06:26:23 am
At that point, we were still in a dogfight.  He was trying to keep them off balance.  Sometimes bad plays happen.  I questioned the play when called, but it makes more sense now.  We just didn't block it well, and that was about the only time all day we didn't block well.

^^^This^^^

Last year, there were some strange plays called. Mostly out of desperation.

This....was just a busted play.

The other guys play to win, too.

Arkfan

Some of you just blindly take up for whoever the HC, OC, DC is.

Im not calling for his head or anything like that but it wasnt a good call whether it worked or not. Not yesterday, not tomorrow, and not next week.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Arkfan on September 14, 2014, 06:45:40 am

Im not calling for his head or anything like that but it wasnt a good call whether it worked or not. Not yesterday, not tomorrow, and not next week.

True. Every time the ball changes hands the risk increases. Why take the risk? I don't remember exactly what CBB said on the sidelines, but this is the second game where he has said we need to get back to what is working. That is why I hope CJC gets the message - do what your boss says.

And I do love that someone had to throw in a strawman about calling for his head when no one had said that.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Augustus on September 14, 2014, 01:03:23 am

That play would have turned out much differently. It may very well have turned into 6 points.

Obviously, it was either a broken play, or a mismatch. This "pitchforks out for Jim Chaney", is a bit unwarranted, IMHO.  Chaney still managed a helluva game.

BUT... had that play been executed as designed, there's not a single one of you that would bitching about it, after the fact.

There's a whole lot of people on here who have been bitching about Bielema/Chaney opening up the playbook... don't start bitching the minute they DO open it up, and something doesn't go right with the execution.

Well said. Nothing more to add than this.

Steef

Quote from: Arkfan on September 14, 2014, 06:45:40 am

Hmmm...

So a reverse is NEVER a good play. Ever.

And yet, it still is attempted. PRACTICED. Gameplanned.

By teams across the country. And across football history.

Good teams. Great ones. With some of the best coaches the game has ever seen.

The presence of that play in the playbooks of history...suggest that your opinion of the play itself....is wrong.

It was a busted play.

We won the game.

Maybe some people DO find excuses for everyone, like you say. And maybe others just like to find things to grumble about.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on September 14, 2014, 05:46:14 am
Exactly.

They couldn't hit our fastball so we decide to throw the change up?

Trick plays cost us a game or two last year as well.

As well? So this "trick" play cost us the game? We lost? What?

And why are yall calling this a "trick" play?

bp

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 06:56:49 am
Hmmm...

The presence of that play in the playbooks of history...suggest that your opinion of the play itself....is wrong.

It was a busted play.

We won the game.

Maybe some people DO find excuses for everyone, like you say. And maybe others just like to find things to grumble about.

Steef I think you are missing the point.  A reverse is usually called when the defense is aggressively disrupting pursuit of the ball. Turn their speed against them to get the gap needed for a big play.

For me that was not the scenario of the game when the reverse was called. We were opening holes right up the gut.

So Chaney had these type of calls last year, stopped running at Auburn, and had CBB making statements last game and this game about getting back to what is working.

If the head coach is making these statements then I believe some criticism (not firing) of Chaney is warranted. Now I would not have started a thread on this as It was one play, yet I would not blow off the play as some of you have. There is a pattern of this with Chaney.

Now enough for me and I am going back to enjoying the win.

Hoggish1

Good post.  TT got penetration (I like a little penetration myself, but I digress) and Collins was too shallow.  If it would have been run correctly, if would have been six.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Augustus on September 14, 2014, 01:03:23 am

Im sorry but this road goes both ways. I started a thread simply saying play calling seemed different and I thought CBB had a lot of influence. I got hammered, apparently I said Chaney should be fired though I still cant seem to find where.

People here seem to have trouble reading or comprehending. Its ridiculous.

Both sides decide to make stuff up and and start name calling.

postalpig

I like the call, just not where we were on the field at the time. If it would have worked, along with some other missed opportunities in the passing game, this game would have been even more of a blowout. I hope we can fix the dropped passes, and overthrown balls. We fix these issues, and the run game will get even better. However it was really fun watching us line up against a Big12 team who knows what is coming, and still can't stop it. As for the defense, we need to tackle better. Those two issues being fixed, we can't count us out of any game we have left. WPS!

code red

Very bad call on first down.  Notice...no cute calls after that.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Arkfan

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 06:56:49 am
Hmmm...

It was a busted play.

We won the game.

I dont remember anybody saying it was NEVER a good call. Where did you come up with that?

But it wasnt a good call from the 11 when youre force feeding it to em right down the gut. It would make as much sense to just all of a sudden go to the shotgun and take 3 shots at the end zone. Dont let the fact that youre running at will get in the way. Rear back and throw it!    ::)

Steef

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 14, 2014, 07:09:29 am
Steef I think you are missing the point.  A reverse is usually called when the defense is aggressively disrupting pursuit of the ball. Turn their speed against them to get the gap needed for a big play.

For me that was not the scenario of the game when the reverse was called. We were opening holes right up the gut.

So Chaney had these type of calls last year, stopped running at Auburn, and had CBB making statements last game and this game about getting back to what is working.

If the head coach is making these statements then I believe some criticism (not firing) of Chaney is warranted. Now I would not have started a thread on this as It was one play, yet I would not blow off the play as some of you have. There is a pattern of this with Chaney.

Now enough for me and I am going back to enjoying the win.

You make some valid points. And respectful.

But that isnt what Arkfan said. He said "even if the play worked" it was a bad call. Which means, he thinks the reverse itself is so bad, it should never be called.

Which is not the same point you just made.

:)

LJHOG

turned out it wasn't the brightest idea in the history of football.  but, I have no problem with giving it a try.  it works and the game would have been over right there.  not only would TT be wore out, but humiliated too.

SPAL

It wasn't so much the play as the timing and situation that I scratched my head about. But I'm not at all calling for coaches to be fired. You have to be an idiot to do that after yesterday.

DeltaBoy

No problem for me. Sometimes your try something and doesn't work.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigredone

Some plays are called to set up something later. It was bad execution on the play but possibly they wanted it seen to make a future defense account for it.

Arkfan

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 07:47:06 am
You make some valid points. And respectful.

But that isnt what Arkfan said. He said "even if the play worked" it was a bad call. Which means, he thinks the reverse itself is so bad, it should never be called.

Which is not the same point you just made.

:)

There you go again!

Do you really have that much of a problem comprehending something that you have to add something that wasnt said?

I didnt say you should never call a reverse!

Once more just to make sure you understand;

I said I thought it was a bad call in that situation not ever! Do you understand what Im saying yet?

It doesnt make sense to have so many people touch the ball on one play and take a chance of fumbling when youre that close to the goal line and have had success all day at ramming it down their throat!

If the play had worked I still dont think it would have been a good call any more than if they had called a half back pass and it worked that it would have meant it was a good call.

Thats my opinion. If you agree fine, if you dont Im glad you arent the OC.

Geez...

Steef

Quote from: Arkfan on September 14, 2014, 08:19:50 am
There you go again!

Do you really have that much of a problem comprehending something that you have to add something that wasnt said?

Once more just to make sure you understand;

I said I thought it was a bad call in that situation not ever! Do you understand what Im saying yet?

It doesnt make sense to have so many people touch the ball on one play and take a chance of fumbling when youre that close to the goal line and have had success all day at ramming it down their throat!

If the play had worked I still dont think it would have been a good call any more than if they had called a half back pass and it worked that it would have meant it was a good call.

Thats my opinion. If you agree fine, if you dont Im glad you arent the OC.

Geez...

Did you or did you not, say "even if it worked"?

Which means, "I dont like the thing, regardless".

Not my fault if you said something you didn't mean.

HogFanatic

Quote from: RickJames on September 14, 2014, 06:24:18 am
It was 6 if the pitch was clean

And it was six the other way if that Tech defender had scooped and scored.
As it turned out we got extremely lucky that that boneheaded play call didn't completely reverse the momentum of the game to Tech's favor.
Against better opposition that could easily happen.

Bielema won't allow that crap to be ran again...I'm sure of that.

Not that we can't run that play, mind you, but in that circumstance there was absolutely no need for anything like that at all.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 14, 2014, 08:01:26 am
No problem for me. Sometimes your try something and doesn't work.

If it works it may cause them to unload the box a little. We didn't need it yesterday but we may in the SEC. Stuff happens and this just blew up. I don't have a problem with CJC game plan yesterday... or his play calling on this particular play.

" GO HOGS "

Arkfan

Yes, I said that but where you got that I dont think the reverse is ever a good call is beyond me.

QuoteIf the play had worked I still dont think it would have been a good call any more than if they had called a half back pass and it worked that it would have meant it was a good call.

Read that paragraph again very slowly and let it sink in a little bit. Maybe that will help you comprehend the point Im patiently trying to make with you.

Youll never make me understand why you risk that play IN THAT SITUATION (notice I didnt say ever).

You can argue it was a good call all you want but apparently BB saw it the same way myself and alot of others did.    ;)

Hogeration

I actually wished we would have called a few trick plays against Auburn in the second half.

Steef

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 14, 2014, 08:29:48 am
And it was six the other way if that Tech defender had scooped and scored.
As it turned out we got extremely lucky that that boneheaded play call didn't completely reverse the momentum of the game to Tech's favor.
Against better opposition that could easily happen.

Bielema won't allow that crap to be ran again...I'm sure of that.

Not that we can't run that play, mind you, but in that circumstance there was absolutely no need for anything like that at all.

Huh?

By your logic, because he could have scooped and scored...that was the wrong time to call that play?

Those two ideas dont really go together.

Steef

Quote from: Arkfan on September 14, 2014, 08:37:30 am
Yes, I said that but where you got that I dont think the reverse is ever a good call is beyond me.

Read that paragraph again very slowly and let it sink in a little bit. Maybe that will help you comprehend the point Im patiently trying to make with you.

Youll never make me understand why you risk that play IN THAT SITUATION (notice I didnt say ever).

You can argue it was a good call all you want but apparently BB saw it the same way myself and alot of others did.    ;)

English is a second language for you?

elksnort

Quit defending the play. It was a crappy call (due to the time and circumstance).

HogFanatic

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 08:39:36 am
Huh?

By your logic, because he could have scooped and scored...that was the wrong time to call that play?

Those two ideas dont really go together.

You're just being argumentive. I'm not going there with you. It was a dumb call at the time. Bielema all but said as much himself. Sorry you don't agree.

Steef

Quote from: elksnort on September 14, 2014, 08:40:29 am
Quit defending the play. It was a crappy call (due to the time and circumstance).

While I disagree with you, I do appreciate the fact you made sense.

Thanks.

HiggiePiggy

If it was run correctly it could have been 6.  It also could have been 6 the other way had the guy scooped it up instead of falling on it.    When we are going 5 or 6 yards per carry on a team there is no need to do anything different until they stop us.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Steef

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 14, 2014, 08:42:00 am
You're just being argumentive. I'm not going there with you. It was a dumb call at the time. Bielema all bet said as much himself. Sorry you don't agree.

I have to admit, I am being argumentative.

But I do like for posts to make sense. This one does. The first one didnt.

Steef

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 14, 2014, 08:43:23 am
If it was run correctly it could have been 6.  It also could have been 6 the other way had the guy scooped it up instead of falling on it.    When we are going 5 or 6 yards per carry on a team there is no need to do anything different until they stop us.

This is the best argument yet. +1

onebadrubi

You don't run a reverse or flea flicker or those type of plays in red zone.  Those plays are to be kept between the 20's. 

Arkfan

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 08:43:33 am
I have to admit, I am being argumentative.

But I do like for posts to make sense. This one does. The first one didnt.

Sorry. The next time you and I get in a discussion Ill try to remember to use smaller words.   ;)

tusksincolorado

OMG...now we are belly-aching about a reverse play during a BIG 5 ROAD WIN::)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT!?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!