Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama State added as season opener

Started by dsims2k3, September 12, 2014, 05:57:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Danny J

Thought maybe we would have learned from last year......terrible terrible decision. Would have been better off scheduling a DivII team as that would not be calculated into RPI at the end of year.

husker71

by far and away (IMHO) they are the best team in that conference because they went 19-13 and return top 6 players and a freshman guard who some think is talented   You never know but I think they will be a playin team for the NCAA tourney   maybe not as bad as everyone thinks

nextlevel

Quote from: husker71 on September 12, 2014, 08:32:47 pm
by far and away (IMHO) they are the best team in that conference because they went 19-13 and return top 6 players and a freshman guard who some think is talented   You never know but I think they will be a playin team for the NCAA tourney   maybe not as bad as everyone thinks

Its isn't going to destroy the RPI/SOS/etc.

But, you will have threads like these and no mention of the team turning in a perfect APR score this past year, probably because the same people were saying it was impossible to do so in such a short amount of time a few years ago...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on September 12, 2014, 09:10:40 pm

But, you will have threads like these and no mention of the team turning in a perfect APR score this past year, probably because the same people were saying it was impossible to do so in such a short amount of time a few years ago...

Glad you started a thread on the APR score....oh wait, you didn't? I suppose your usual condescension is how you choose to recognize such a feat. Hooray.

But it just wouldn't be a NextLevel post if it wasn't flawed. Getting a perfect, single year score of 1,000 isn't impossible. Calipari, Stallings, & Anthony Grant (x3) have all made it happen at times in their careers, among others. What was 'impossible' was expecting three straight (approximate) perfect scores of 1,000 to go with the initial 755 that would/could keep us out of the eventual APR issues that the single 755 score created.

Alabama State won 19 games last year....and they STILL had an RPI of 250+ with an SOS around 350. This one game won't 'destroy' our RPI, but it will do us more harm than good.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

poloprince

Quote from: nextlevel on September 12, 2014, 09:10:40 pm

I found it quite intriguing myself there wasn't a thread about the APR. I guess I expected too much.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 12, 2014, 09:44:06 pm

Alabama State won 19 games last year....and they STILL had an RPI of 250+ with an SOS around 350. This one game won't 'destroy' our RPI, but it will do us more harm than good.
I agree...no chance I would risk it.

JackJohnson

While I clearly cringe at scheduling SWAC teams and really had hoped we would stop- IF we are going to then this is the one we want.  Best I can tell they return their top 8 players who all averaged 15+ minutes a game from a 19-13 team that went 12-6 in conference play.  While I know they still had a 250+ RPI it isn't impossible for them to go 15-3 or better in conference play like Southern did last year which most likely would result in a 20+ win season and a top 200 RPI (Southern was a respectable 174).  Again wish we would just stay away but am hoping for it to work out especially since southern lost 3 of their top 6 players so Ala St should be favored to win the league

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2011/alabama-state-hornets

Biggus Piggus

Idiotic to whine about this. Schedule is great. It can withstand a SWAC addition easy.
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 13, 2014, 10:04:47 am
Idiotic to whine about this. Schedule is great. It can withstand a SWAC addition easy.

Yes, because these SWAC teams have always helped our postseason chances in years past, right? We should still make the Dance, but this late addition won't help our numbers on Selection Sunday.

As a conference, the SWAC has been among the bottom of the barrel in terms of RPI year after year after year. Aside from the Independents, it was the worst conference in DI ball last season. The average RPI from a SWAC team was 286.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2014, 10:48:03 am
Yes, because these SWAC teams have always helped our postseason chances in years past, right? We should still make the Dance, but this late addition won't help our numbers on Selection Sunday.

As a conference, the SWAC has been among the bottom of the barrel in terms of RPI year after year after year. Aside from the Independents, it was the worst conference in DI ball last season. The average RPI from a SWAC team was 286.

The legend Advocate is back! We will win by 50 over Alabama State. You going to BWA that night Advocate?

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 12, 2014, 09:44:06 pm
Glad you started a thread on the APR score....oh wait, you didn't? I suppose your usual condescension is how you choose to recognize such a feat. Hooray.

But it just wouldn't be a NextLevel post if it wasn't flawed. Getting a perfect, single year score of 1,000 isn't impossible. Calipari, Stallings, & Anthony Grant (x3) have all made it happen at times in their careers, among others. What was 'impossible' was expecting three straight (approximate) perfect scores of 1,000 to go with the initial 755 that would/could keep us out of the eventual APR issues that the single 755 score created.

Nice way to take a statement out of context.

What is the response? It doesn't matter what Stallings, Calipari, Grant or anyone else has done, its about how it was said to be impossible to be done at Arkansas.

I just remember the threads applauding a barely above minimum APR score from a certain HC by a certain poster that now can only focus on the negative, that can be found, while trying to scoff at any positive that does exist...

Spends months bitching about the schedule a season ago, schedule gets better, must bitch about the one opponent on it not "satisfactory"...
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Danny J

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 13, 2014, 10:04:47 am
True but with the way RPI is calculated and figured into the committee's decision it is always going to be in our best interest to try and schedule a team above 175 in the RPI while the SEC remains(or maybe percieved but thats a different argument) to be weak. Playing in the Big 10 or 12 would easily negate playing a SWAC team or two but not playing in the SEC.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 13, 2014, 12:24:16 pm
The legend Advocate is back! We will win by 50 over Alabama State. You going to BWA that night Advocate?

I attend every home game.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on September 13, 2014, 12:51:38 pm
Nice way to take a statement out of context.

What is the response? It doesn't matter what Stallings, Calipari, Grant or anyone else has done, its about how it was said to be impossible to be done at Arkansas.

I just remember the threads applauding a barely above minimum APR score from a certain HC by a certain poster that now can only focus on the negative, that can be found, while trying to scoff at any positive that does exist...

Spends months bitching about the schedule a season ago, schedule gets better, must bitch about the one opponent on it not "satisfactory"...

Your faulty memory would be better served if you'd simply research your assumptions before offering up vague and/or inaccurate accusations. Google can easily search for these posts/threads by this so-called 'certain poster.' But we both know you'd rather take pot-shots that simply dance around the truth.

The schedule is light years better than it has been in prior years, as I said it would be many moons back. But there's no fault or harm in pointing out the eyesore that a SWAC team will bring to our SOS/RPI numbers. These are the types of teams we need to avoid playing whenever possible.

hamARchy in the USA

Perhaps MA is looking ahead.   One could see him landing at Alabama State.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2014, 02:10:02 pm
I attend every home game.

Advocate, Well we need to drink a few shots before Alabama State game

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2014, 02:12:20 pm
Your faulty memory would be better served if you'd simply research your assumptions before offering up vague and/or inaccurate accusations. Google can easily search for these posts/threads by this so-called 'certain poster.' But we both know you'd rather take pot-shots that simply dance around the truth.

My memory is fine.

But speaking of pot-shots:

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2014, 02:12:20 pm
That sucks. A terrible SWAC team.

But I guess you got the response you were looking for, trolled me hard.

ell oh ell

root_hawg

Danny J

arky37

With the very limited scheduling options we had left, this is pretty great. We get to play a game during LSU weekend. There might actually be a decent crowd for the opener for once. The way this year's schedule lines up the general populous might actually take interest in basketball before mid January. Let's consider the positives, people.

mhuff

September 14, 2014, 07:59:48 pm #23 Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:17:59 pm by mhuff
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2014, 10:48:03 am

Well everyone we play is relevant. Our schedule last year was so easy it was going to be hard to get into the NCAA's. Still, we have to have the victories as well. SO, our schedule is better than last year. I can only reason that we are strengthening the schedule as we improve in order to be able to compete...... and to improve chances of going to the dance. While your point is valid about SWAC teams, we could use an easy win or three.

intelligence

HA, if you look at it objectively, realistically this was probably the best opponent we could find this late in the game. It's possible the only major conference opponents we could find wanted us to come on the road.

intelligence

Quote from: intelligence on September 14, 2014, 08:58:24 pm
HA, if you look at it objectively,  this was probably the best opponent we could find this late in the game that was willing to come to our house for the season opener. It's possible the only major conference opponents we could find wanted us to come on the road.

poloprince

I'm ready for this team to take the floor.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

GuvHog

Quote from: intelligence on September 14, 2014, 08:58:24 pm
HA, if you look at it objectively, realistically this was probably the best opponent we could find this late in the game. It's possible the only major conference opponents we could find wanted us to come on the road.

Well said. Mike was lucky to even find a SWAC team with an opening this close to the start of the season. The Pickings were very slim so he took what he could get.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

yraciv

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2014, 11:46:03 am
Well said. Mike was lucky to even find a SWAC team with an opening this close to the start of the season. The Pickings were very slim so he took what he could get.

I'm not in scheduling, but there are 320+ Division 1 basketball teams. I'm not going to doubt the options were slim due to late timing, but with 300+ non SWAC teams , I'm pretty sure other options were available.  The other point is this should have been settled long ago.   If we are having to pick from the bottom of the barrel after our schedule was already released, someone dropped the ball.

yraciv

Quote from: arky37 on September 14, 2014, 06:14:54 pm
With the very limited scheduling options we had left, this is pretty great. We get to play a game during LSU weekend. There might actually be a decent crowd for the opener for once. The way this year's schedule lines up the general populous might actually take interest in basketball before mid January. Let's consider the positives, people.

You are right people will be in town that weekend, but you know Fayetteville dies and people go home on Sunday.  A SWAC team certainly isn't going to entice people to come out. Throw in the other typical excuses, church, NFL, hungover, hunting season, etc. and this game will have just as lackluster as usual opening day crowds.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on September 15, 2014, 12:40:26 pm
The other point is this should have been settled long ago. If we are having to pick from the bottom of the barrel after our schedule was already released, someone dropped the ball.

Great point. I'm glad someone else brought this up. Needing/wanting to add a late game here or there can happen to any program, but an RPI whammy like [insert any SWAC team] just stings. I'm pleased with 99% of the NCSoS though. It's clear that the staff finally accepted and used the assistance provided to them.

But IF the idea was to take advantage of the LSU football weekend, as some of you have speculated, then you should consider the fact that our '14 SEC football schedule has been public knowledge since August of 2013.

http://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2013/08/21/sec-2014-conference-schedule

intelligence

Quote from: yraciv on September 15, 2014, 12:40:26 pm
I'm not in scheduling, but there are 320+ Division 1 basketball teams. I'm not going to doubt the options were slim due to late timing, but with 300+ non SWAC teams , I'm pretty sure other options were available.  The other point is this should have been settled long ago.   If we are having to pick from the bottom of the barrel after our schedule was already released, someone dropped the ball.

That is an excellent point as well, but its too short sighted in my opinion. You can't say for certain that the staff wasn't making a push to get in a preseason tourney or a match up with a prominent team nationally, and simply failed to do so.