Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas A&M 38 ... Rice 10 ... Final from Kyle Field

Started by jbcarol, September 12, 2014, 08:25:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Top story heading into the Rice game at Kyle Field

On Sept. 3, just one day after their son told the media he prefers the nickname "Kenny Trill," Hill's parents, Ken Sr. and Lorrie, filed for the trademark to the phrase, with intent to use it on athletic apparel.

QuoteDespite starting only two games, Hill is already a hot commodity. Sources tell ESPN.com that the Texas A&M licensing and compliance departments have sent out cease and desist letters to five online sites selling "Kenny Trill" shirts. (The NCAA puts the burden on schools to stop makers and retailers from selling merchandise.)

Calls placed to Hill's father and the trademark attorney of record were not immediately returned.

Hill has thrown for 794 yards and seven touchdowns in the Aggies' wins over South Carolina and Lamar. His 511 passing yards in the team's 52-28 victory over the Gamecocks set a school record.

After that game, fans and the local media started calling Hill "Kenny Football," a takeoff on Manziel's "Johnny Football." But Hill told the media on Sept. 2 that he liked "Kenny Trill."

Trill, in the rap world, is a hybrid of the words true and real and has been adopted by Texas rapper Bun B.

"I know about Bun B, and I know Coach [Kevin] Sumlin has got a little relationship with Bun B," Hill has said. "So hopefully he'll let me be Kenny Trill."

The rapper then tweeted: "Like the idea of 'Kenny Trill' but I think @coachsumlin would agree one good game alone doesn't make you trill. He's on his way though!"

"Yeah, Bun B said I'm not really Trill yet," Hill said Tuesday. "I have to keep earning that, which I think at some point I can earn that nickname."

Despite the quick action of Hill's parents, a Louisiana man filed for the "Kenny Trill" trademark within hours of Hill revealing that nickname. While that man, Andrew Rose, will be first in line with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, he will not be able to get the trademark without Hill's consent.

In 2012, in the wake of his Heisman season, Manziel started a company called JMan2 Enterprises. That company has filed for 10 trademarks, including "Johnny Football," "The House That Johnny Built" and "Johnny Cleveland." At this point, the Browns rookie is not yet the registered owner of any of the marks.

Incidentally, No. 7 A&M plays Rice on Saturday night.

"I think it's cool. It's funny," Hill said Tuesday. "I really don't care about the nickname too much. But it's something that everybody else likes and the football team jokes about it with me all the time. I'll walk in and they'll say 'Kenny Trill!'

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  13h

Afternoon RT No controversy about it: Aggies have plenty of Quarterback Comfort with Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college-football/article/Eighth-ranked-Bears-are-a-handfulwhether-starters-5749410.php ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  8h

Two-hour advance notice: Midnight Yell Practice is canceled at Kyle Field, per @TAMU. Whole lot of rain in the past two hours.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  53m
One wicked picture of Kevin Sumlin on Kyle Field video board. #StaringIntoOurInnards:

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  32s
LB Jordan Mastrogiovanni and TE Cam Clear not suited up for the Aggies.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  3m
Aggies DT Alonzo Williams is down with a leg injury -- now limping off. They need him (Captain Obvious Alert).

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  5m
Ben Compton starting at center for Aggies, in place of an apparently slightly injured Mike Matthews (not thought to be serious).

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  22s
Rice misses a 22-yard FG, brutal for the Owls following a drive in which they reached the A&M 5-yard line. 0-0 midway through 1st.

jbcarol

rent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  3m
14-yard TD pass from Hill to Noil, Aggies lead Rice 7-0 with 3:36 left in 1st quarter.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  1m
Aggies used 13 plays on that drive, a solid comeback from a faulty opening drive that resulted in punt. A&M leads Rice 7-0 late in 1st.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  12m
Hill to Josh Reynolds for 48-yard TD, quiets this Rice uprising (for now), Aggies lead 21-7 w/ 3:30 left to half.

jbcarol

A&M blocks a FG at the halftime gun.

Armani "Ronnie" Watts picks it up and takes it to the house for A&M.

Flag.

jbcarol

A&M players came off the bench onto the field, nullifying the TD.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  36s
Aggies take 2nd half opening drive and cap it with 20-yard TD pass from Hill to Reynolds, lead 28-7 w/ 13:26 in 3rd.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  6h

A&M 38, Rice 10 game story with reaction from David Bailiff, Kevin Sumlin on Kyle's field: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/09/gameday-central-no-7-am-plays-host-to-rice ...

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  6h

Sumlin said call by officials on A&M bench at end of half "was right one" on Watts' crazy return, described it as learning situation.

They ran a missed FG back for a TD at the end of the half and it was called back due to A&M bench on the field (they were heading to the lockers also).

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  3h

Sumlin said he apologized to his Mom for cussing during halftime TV interview (the key word was 'dumba--')