Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida 36 ... Kentucky 30 ... Final in 3 OT from The Swamp

Started by jbcarol, September 12, 2014, 07:17:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

So they just barely squeak by on a zebra assisted play...and they're "pounding"?

grayhawg

Quote from: steefhog on September 14, 2014, 08:26:39 am
So they just barely squeak by on a zebra assisted play...and they're "pounding"?

Yep had it not been for the Zebra ignoring the play clock it would have been a Kentucky victory. But they have to protect the Gators and Tide at all cost.

bennyl08

Quote from: grayhawg on September 14, 2014, 08:50:58 am
Yep had it not been for the Zebra ignoring the play clock it would have been a Kentucky victory. But they have to protect the Gators and Tide at all cost.

That was the correct call on the field with the no call for delay of game. Why, you ask? There is never a flag immediately when the play clock hits zero. It has always been, the ref watches the play clock. When it strikes 0, he THEN looks to see if the ball has been snapped or not. That is the official and correct way to handle a delay of game. Every team gets the benefit of having the time for the clock to hit zero and the amount of time it takes the ref to turn his head to see if the ball has been snapped. In this case, Florida snapped the ball the just milliseconds after it hit zero, hence, by the time the ref had seen the clock hit zero and turned his head, the ball had been snapped.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2014, 06:43:21 am
Patrick Towles @patty_ice14
Great effort, but there are no such things as moral victories in this program. #BeatVandy
12:04 AM - 14 Sep 2014

But is there any such thing as a "morale victory"?

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  16h
Mark Stoops says tonight was his proudest moment as the UK coach
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  2h
Huge UK-UF notebook: On Towles "big step," Cats' patchwork O-line, confidence in kicker, how UF's Robinson got loose: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/uk-beat/2014/09/14/uk-uf-notes-towles-takes-big-step/15631499/ ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Razorback_Mack

September 14, 2014, 06:02:54 pm #205 Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:42:18 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: bennyl08 on September 14, 2014, 11:41:57 am
That was the correct call on the field with the no call for delay of game. Why, you ask? There is never a flag immediately when the play clock hits zero. It has always been, the ref watches the play clock. When it strikes 0, he THEN looks to see if the ball has been snapped or not. That is the official and correct way to handle a delay of game. Every team gets the benefit of having the time for the clock to hit zero and the amount of time it takes the ref to turn his head to see if the ball has been snapped. In this case, Florida snapped the ball the just milliseconds after it hit zero, hence, by the time the ref had seen the clock hit zero and turned his head, the ball had been snapped.
Wrong. There's play clocks on both ends of the field. You don't have to "turn your head" to see both. If the clock hits zero it's a penalty. Try again. Also, there's seven guys out there that can call pre snap penalties. Anybody that would make an excuse for that is ignorant. The clock ran out....it's a penalty. Period

Also, if the roles were reversed Kentucky would've been penalized for a delay....history has proven that indisputably.

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  2h
SEC Statement Regarding Kentucky-Florida Overtime: http://www.secsports.com/article/11526753/sec-statement-regarding-ot-kentucky-vs-florida ...

Joe Schad @schadjoe  ·  2h
SEC statement says proper mechanics were used by refs in not calling delay of game on UF on 4th down OT TD pass play

But were they popular mechanics?

jbcarol

Harper Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  2h
The statement by @SEC is silly...says they "applied proper mechanics" but leaves silent as to whether call was correct.  Lame as usual

Steef

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2014, 07:05:58 pm
SEC Sports @SEC  ·  2h
SEC Statement Regarding Kentucky-Florida Overtime: http://www.secsports.com/article/11526753/sec-statement-regarding-ot-kentucky-vs-florida ...

SEC statement says proper mechanics were used by refs in not calling delay of game on UF on 4th down OT TD pass play

So, if its proper to not call it, when the clock is zero...when IS it proper?

One mississippi.
Two mississippi.

Except when mississippi is there?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2014, 07:05:58 pm
SEC Sports @SEC  ·  2h

Show me in the NCAA rule book where it says if the play clock expires and hits zero that it's not a delay of game.

Steef

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 14, 2014, 07:22:17 pm
Show me in the NCAA rule book where it says if the play clock expires and hits zero that it's not a delay of game.

No one in Florida can read.

Razorback_Mack

Same thing just happened in the 49ers/Bears game. Al Michaels just said "the play clock expired that should've been a delay." He sure as hell didn't say anything about waiting to look to see if they snapped the ball.

grayhawg

Florida, Alabama and LSU. The SEC  ALWAYS protects those three schools and if you think they don't get special treatment you have not watched many SEC games over the years.

bennyl08

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 14, 2014, 06:02:54 pm
Wrong. There's play clocks on both ends of the field. You don't have to "turn your head" to see both. If the clock hits zero it's a penalty. Try again. Also, there's seven guys out there that can call pre snap penalties. Anybody that would make an excuse for that is ignorant. The clock ran out....it's a penalty. Period

Also, if the roles were reversed Kentucky would've been penalized for a delay....history has proven that indisputably.

Even the official release from the SEC backs up what I said. Ask any referee at any conference or the NFL, that is how it is done.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 14, 2014, 11:12:23 pm
Even the official release from the SEC backs up what I said. Ask any referee at any conference or the NFL, that is how it is done.
I couldn't  care less what the SEC said. I've been watching the SEC blow calls since 1992. The SEC has the worst reputation in the country when it comes to officiating. Show me in the press release where it says it was the correct call. Show me any rule book in football that says when the play clock hits zero and the ball is not snapped that's it not a delay of game.

Surely you can come up with something better than what the SEC said. "Proper protocol" C'mon man

NaturalStateReb

Kentucky played a great game, but this Florida team is made of fail. Muschamp's done after this season. He's a defensive Norm Chow.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

root_hawg

grayhawg

Quote from: root_hawg on September 15, 2014, 08:29:25 am
Correct call via the rules book
How long after clock hits zero does the rule book say before it's delay of game?

Steef

Quote from: grayhawg on September 15, 2014, 09:10:56 am
How long after clock hits zero does the rule book say before it's delay of game?

In the swamp?

Whatever Florida needs.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: root_hawg on September 15, 2014, 08:29:25 am
Correct call via the rules book
BS. Show me rule book and where it says that's if the play clock hits zero and the ball is not snapped that's it's not a delay. Just show me

bennyl08

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 15, 2014, 10:29:42 am
BS. Show me rule book and where it says that's if the play clock hits zero and the ball is not snapped that's it's not a delay. Just show me

Tell me realistically how the referee is supposed to handle the situation? If he is watching the ball being snapped, he can't see the time. If he is watching the play clock, he can't see if the ball is being snapped. He could halfway try and do both, but then would not be very accurate.

If he watches the snap, and then looks at the clock, he's obviously going to see zeros if there is any question. Should there be a negative value so that if he looks up and sees negative, he can throw the flag? Even then, it would have to go to tenths of a second because if it says 0 then -1, that is a full second after running out.

Now, if we are throwing tenths of seconds onto the play clock, then maybe have the referee turn his head once it reaches 0.2 seconds or something, but even then, that isn't perfect. Maybe he jumps the gun, turns his head with 0.3 seconds left and the team snaps with 0.05 left but the ref assumes it has already hit 0.

Football is not a perfect game. How many times is the spot of the ball ever perfect? How inconsistent is the out of bounds ruling? I.e. the end zone extends to infinity but not the rest of the field. Whatever the actual game clock? I can't tell you how many times a field goal goes through the uprights, but the clock ticks for another 2 seconds. Should they stop the game after each play to review the time? have GPS trackers all over the football to get the perfect spot?

The only thing they could do to make the delay of game more accurate is to maybe sync the play clock into the refs earphones and have it beep right at zero, that way he could focus solely on the snap and throw the flag if it beeps before it's snapped.

Otherwise, the ref is going to make an error somewhere. It's kind of like the heisenberg uncertainty principle. He can't know both things exactly at the same time. So, you have to make a choice. The way that refs are taught to handle that is to watch the play clock. Once the play clock has hit zero, they turn their head as fast as they can to see if the ball is already moving or not.

If you watch this, the ball is being snapped just a tiny, tiny fraction of a second after it hits zero. Even if there was a beep in the ref's headphones, it would be hard to distinguish between when the beep started and when the snap started.

Did it hit zero before the snap started? Yes. I don't think anybody is arguing otherwise. However, other than the beep thing which is honestly a cheap and more accurate way to handle it IMO, tell me how else a referee is supposed to handle that?

Jackrabbit Hog

September 15, 2014, 03:19:45 pm #222 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:03:36 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
Delay of game isn't the referee's call.  It's the back judge's call.  He's the only one that should ever be calling delay of game based on the play clock expiring.

The referee has other responsibilities as the play clock is winding down.  He's watching the QB and others in the backfield for illegal motion, illegal shifts, etc.  He is never watching the clock.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 15, 2014, 03:10:49 pm
Tell me realistically how the referee is supposed to handle the situation? If he is watching the ball being snapped, he can't see the time. If he is watching the play clock, he can't see if the ball is being snapped. He could halfway try and do both, but then would not be very accurate.

If he watches the snap, and then looks at the clock, he's obviously going to see zeros if there is any question. Should there be a negative value so that if he looks up and sees negative, he can throw the flag? Even then, it would have to go to tenths of a second because if it says 0 then -1, that is a full second after running out.

Now, if we are throwing tenths of seconds onto the play clock, then maybe have the referee turn his head once it reaches 0.2 seconds or something, but even then, that isn't perfect. Maybe he jumps the gun, turns his head with 0.3 seconds left and the team snaps with 0.05 left but the ref assumes it has already hit 0.

Football is not a perfect game. How many times is the spot of the ball ever perfect? How inconsistent is the out of bounds ruling? I.e. the end zone extends to infinity but not the rest of the field. Whatever the actual game clock? I can't tell you how many times a field goal goes through the uprights, but the clock ticks for another 2 seconds. Should they stop the game after each play to review the time? have GPS trackers all over the football to get the perfect spot?

The only thing they could do to make the delay of game more accurate is to maybe sync the play clock into the refs earphones and have it beep right at zero, that way he could focus solely on the snap and throw the flag if it beeps before it's snapped.

Otherwise, the ref is going to make an error somewhere. It's kind of like the heisenberg uncertainty principle. He can't know both things exactly at the same time. So, you have to make a choice. The way that refs are taught to handle that is to watch the play clock. Once the play clock has hit zero, they turn their head as fast as they can to see if the ball is already moving or not.

If you watch this, the ball is being snapped just a tiny, tiny fraction of a second after it hits zero. Even if there was a beep in the ref's headphones, it would be hard to distinguish between when the beep started and when the snap started.

Did it hit zero before the snap started? Yes. I don't think anybody is arguing otherwise. However, other than the beep thing which is honestly a cheap and more accurate way to handle it IMO, tell me how else a referee is supposed to handle that?
Like I already said in a previous post there's 7 guys out there. The back judge doesn't have to turn and look, he doesn't have to wait, he can face the offense and watch the play clock behind the offense. When it hits zero he's throws the flag. When you're facing two different things it's very easy to watch them both at the same time.

You're honestly admitting that the play clock hit zero before Florida snapped the ball. By rule that's a delay of game. Period. There's no debate, you're admitting it yourself.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 15, 2014, 03:19:45 pm
Delay of game isn't the referee's call.  It's the back judge's call.  He's the only one that should ever be calling delay of game based on the play clock expiring.

The referee has other responsibilities as the play clock is winding down.  He's watching the QB and others in the backfield for illegal motion, illegal shifts, etc.  He is never watching the clock.

Semantics... If they wear black and white, they're a ref.

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 15, 2014, 03:29:29 pm
Like I already said in a previous post there's 7 guys out there. The back judge doesn't have to turn and look, he doesn't have to wait, he can face the offense and watch the play clock behind the offense. When it hits zero he's throws the flag. When you're facing two different things it's very easy to watch them both at the same time.

You're honestly admitting that the play clock hit zero before Florida snapped the ball. By rule that's a delay of game. Period. There's no debate, you're admitting it yourself.

Unless you are a chameleon, it's pretty hard to fully focus on two things at once. If you focus on one, the other will be blurry. I get what you are saying, but go and try to do something similar yourself. You simply can't focus on both things at the same time with any level of accuracy.

Yes, I do admit the clock hit zero first. The difference is, I recognize the physical limitations of human beings and I remember learning that this was the referee's procedure for delay of game several years ago in the hogs favor.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: grayhawg on September 15, 2014, 09:10:56 am

Since Kentucky just started actually playing football, they're still shocked by this kind of hijinks from SEC officials.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 15, 2014, 03:10:49 pm

+1 for busting out some Heisenberg uncertainty. Nothing like a subatomic physics blast!

Maybe the play was like Shrodinger's Cat--both timely and untimely simultaneously.

grayhawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 15, 2014, 09:20:38 pm
Since Kentucky just started actually playing football, they're still shocked by this kind of hijinks from SEC officials.
Oh yes I remember the invisible personal foul that give Florida and Tebow another shot at us and that was the difference in that game. Like I said earlier the SEC will protect Florida, Bama And LSU .

root_hawg

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 15, 2014, 08:07:23 pm
Semantics... If they wear black and white, they're a ref.

I was all for discussing this with you until you typed this quote.  No point in arguing with a fence post.

The ref is the one in the white hat.  He is one of seven officials.  Each has distinct and exclusive responsibilities on every play.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jen Smith @jenheraldleader  · 

Stoops said there were plenty of opportunities to win that Florida game, doesn't all come down to the play clock play.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bryan The Intern: Since 1992, when the SEC expanded to 12 teams, Kentucky has just 45 SEC wins.  That is 22 seasons with only 45 wins.  But 12 of those wins have been against Vanderbilt...

Quote-Since 1992, Kentucky has 2 different winning streaks of 4 games against Vanderbilt.  It has not beaten any other SEC team more than twice in a row in that same timespan.

-Since 1992, Kentucky has finished tied or ahead in the SEC East standings of Florida 0 times, Tennessee 1 time, Georgia 3 times, South Carolina 7 times, and Vanderbilt 16 times.  That is out of 22 seasons.

-UK has finished with 1 or 2 conference wins 10 times since 1992.  In those 10 seasons, Vanderbilt accounted for one of those wins 7 out of 10 years.

jbcarol

Jen Smith @jenheraldleader  ·  4h

Kentucky would like a win, but an SEC win would be extra special: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/23/3444516/cats-looking-to-end-17-game-sec.html ...

QuoteCats looking to end 17-game SEC losing streak

Do Kentucky's players talk about the streak in hushed whispers like it's a part of a curse?

Do they discuss the fact that they haven't won a Southeastern Conference game in 17 straight tries openly in the locker room?

"Of course we do," UK center Jon Toth admitted. "We haven't won an SEC game in a while."

They'd like to reverse that trend as soon as possible, and they're hoping it starts Saturday against Vanderbilt at Commonwealth Stadium, the site of the Cats' last win over an SEC foe back when they upended another long, uncomfortable streak by topping Tennessee on Nov. 26, 2011.

Players like Josh Clemons, Demarco Robinson, D.J. Warren, Darrian Miller, Maxwell Smith, Eric Dixon, Bud Dupree, Ashley Lowery and Glenn Faulkner were true freshmen on that roster.

It's been a long wait for them...