Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Jones

Started by Airforcehawg, September 12, 2014, 05:07:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Airforcehawg

Looking a little different these day. Just happen to turn on SEC network...they were replaying the 7 OT game with Ol Piss w/commentary from coaches and players.

[attachment deleted by admin]

rusvegashog

Just my opinion, but if that cat would have had ANY desire to play in the NFL he would still be playing there. I think he just got burnt out on it all. Missed home.

RazorPiggie

If Matt had anywhere close to the drive his dad has then he'd been an all NFL WRs.

bigredone

His dad worked as a temp at Bekeart prior to Matt transferring to Northside. He was working in that dirty hot wire mill to have the extra money for Matt to be able to go to QB camps. For a coach/teacher to spend his summer there impressed me.

I also got to watch Matt and a couple of his friends work out at a local gym with his dad leading the way. Matt might have earned his lazy label in his dealings with MOTHO but there was no time to be lazy working out with Steve.

RazorPiggie

September 12, 2014, 07:42:31 am #4 Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:04:47 am by RazorPiggie
Quote from: bigredone on September 12, 2014, 07:31:09 am
His dad worked as a temp at Bekeart prior to Matt transferring to Northside. He was working in that dirty hot wire mill to have the extra money for Matt to be able to go to QB camps. For a coach/teacher to spend his summer there impressed me.

You sure about this? They lived in a 2500+ sq ft 2 story house. He was the Head Coach for my JR for years and his mother was a teacher at Northside. They weren't by any means well off but they weren't hurting for money.

3kgthog

I never got the feeling MJ loved football. It always seemed as if he played simply because he would've been just another guy as a basketball player.

GolfnHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2014, 07:42:31 am
You sure about this? They lived in a 2500+ 2 story house. He was the Head Coach for my JR for years and his mother was a teacher at Northside. They weren't by any means well off but they weren't hurting for money.

Well, I know lots of educators that have 2nd jobs during the summers to off-set their teaching salaries.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

EastexHawg

I'll be glad when the Duck Dynasty thing has run its course.  He looks like a cross between Phil and Fidel Castro.

Torqued pork

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2014, 08:39:43 am
I'll be glad when the Duck Dynasty thing has run its course.  He looks like a cross between Phil and Fidel Castro.
I was thinking a young R. Gene Simmons, but I'm a little twisted.

Biggus Piggus

I'm curious about his gravity-defying ability displayed in that photo.
[CENSORED]!

DoggtownHog

I think Matt's real passion was basketball. And he was really good at it too. Just look at the HS record books.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 12, 2014, 08:35:46 am
Well, I know lots of educators that have 2nd jobs during the summers to off-set their teaching salaries.

Not all teachers are paid crap pay.  Some really do make a good living off of teaching.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 12, 2014, 10:01:05 am
I'm curious about his gravity-defying ability displayed in that photo.
He taught Criss Angel everything he knows.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

twistitup

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 12, 2014, 05:19:55 am
Just my opinion, but if that cat would have had ANY desire to play in the NFL he would still be playing there. I think he just got burnt out on it all. Missed home.

?

He got burnt out...yeah
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pork Twain

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 12, 2014, 10:04:12 am
Not all teachers are paid crap pay.  Some really do make a good living off of teaching.
True story.  What hurts is paying for the college classes you had to take in order to become a teacher.

Back to the OP.  Watched that game this a.m. as well and if we would have any kind of a qb coach, MJ could have been amazing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 12, 2014, 10:46:51 am
Back to the OP.  Watched that game this a.m. as well and if we would have any kind of a qb coach, MJ could have been amazing.

He was a bigger, faster, and better Vince Young.  If Matt had been put in Texas' offense and Young had found himself relegated to the Nutt "system" their national perceptions would have been much different.

WorfHog

Cocaine is a hell of a drug  ;)

1highhog

Jones wanted the ball in his hands, pure and simple, if not, he was bored.  For those of you that watched the Jacksonville games, which was a terrible place for Matt to go, if the play was not designed for Matt, I seen to many times where Matt would not run and finish his route and if he was getting the ball.  I'm with someone else that has already stated, if Matt had had a QB Coach, I'm just going to say Ferguson, during his time on the Hill, he could have been a Pro QB.  He was electric with the ball, "secured" in his hands.

Boston RedHogs

He looks like Yukon Cornelius from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer......

lwillin

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 12, 2014, 09:16:21 am
I was thinking a young R. Gene Simmons, but I'm a little twisted.
LOL about that Simmons reference, and am sure you were referring to his appearance only. That dude really went off the deep end.

hawgXi

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2014, 10:54:26 am
He was a bigger, faster, and better Vince Young.  If Matt had been put in Texas' offense and Young had found himself relegated to the Nutt "system" their national perceptions would have been much different.

interesting role reversal possibility.

I still believe that texas rebuilt their offense around vince after witnessing MJ beat them in austin, and Mack figured this was the best fit for vince.

watched 49er QB Colin Caepernick on a scramble last week, and just wondered what could have been if MJ had been used right in college & NFL

he had want all the NFL teams are looking for in an "athletic run pass QB" today, except he's bigger and faster that all of them.

rusvegashog

Quote from: twistitup on September 12, 2014, 10:25:51 am
?

He got burnt out...yeah
It's just my opinion, but feel free to enlighten me.

DeltaBoy

Still love Matt Jones the Longhorn KILLAR!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 15, 2014, 01:46:28 pm
It's just my opinion, but feel free to enlighten me.

He is talking about his "burnt out" as in getting high. Guy had tons of talent and was just lazy.   He could still be playing right now if he had any work ethics, instead he wanted to get high.  He to me is a person that wasted his talents.  Luckliy for him he stayed long enough to make more money than probably 99% of us posters on hogville.   

RyanLR

One of my favorite all time Hogs, the thing I liked about him was that he was never going to play safe. He was either going to make a huge play or a god awful play. But you can't deny the guy was electric when he took off. I had never seen someone look so slow and actually be running a 4.3 40 yard dash. He had those long massive strides. And come to find out after his freshman season he messed his shoulder up to the point were he could no longer throw the ball more than 50 yards or so. I agree with the rest of you guys that if he had a better work ethic he might have still been playing in the NFL.

rusvegashog

OIC. I didn't intend it to be taken that way. I meant burnt out as in lost the fire that you need to have to compete w the greatest athletes on the planet. I would never post disparaging comments about one of our guys like that. Never.

rusvegashog

Quote from: RyanLR on September 15, 2014, 02:48:34 pm
One of my favorite all time Hogs, the thing I liked about him was that he was never going to play safe. He was either going to make a huge play or a god awful play. But you can't deny the guy was electric when he took off. I had never seen someone look so slow and actually be running a 4.3 40 yard dash. He had those long massive strides. And come to find out after his freshman season he messed his shoulder up to the point were he could no longer throw the ball more than 50 yards or so. I agree with the rest of you guys that if he had a better work ethic he might have still been playing in the NFL.
Not going against what u said and not saying that YOU thought he was lazy, but there is a difference between being lazy and just not having the fire or desire to play anymore. I tend to believe w MJ it was the latter. Just wanted to clarify my stance on the deal.

TheRazorbackGuy

Or he didn't love football which you have to do at the pro level.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 15, 2014, 03:04:20 pm
Not going against what u said and not saying that YOU thought he was lazy, but there is a difference between being lazy and just not having the fire or desire to play anymore. I tend to believe w MJ it was the latter. Just wanted to clarify my stance on the deal.

Yes he was more interested in doing drugs than working on playing in the pros.  He got his first round money and decided he was done playing.  He did the same in college.  He didn't work hard at all.  He was very talented.  People with a lot of talent can be lazy in college and still be better than the majority in college. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 15, 2014, 05:22:57 pm
Yes he was more interested in doing drugs than working on playing in the pros.  He got his first round money and decided he was done playing.  He did the same in college.  He didn't work hard at all.  He was very talented.  People with a lot of talent can be lazy in college and still be better than the majority in college.

And a person who is really talented, especially someone like Matt who is taller and moves differently than we are used to seeing, can make things look so easy that people assume he isn't really trying.

He was always in tremendous shape for a guy who was supposedly so lazy.  Look 16-21 year olds on any campus near you today.  Half of them are fat and a lot more look so soft that they would pee their pants if you said "boo" to them.

WizardofhOgZ

You know that I agree with this assessment.  I have always said that (1) Matt Jones' performance in Austin (2003) was an inspiration to Young; or, as I used to say it, "Matt is what Vince wants to be when he grows up".  Vince should have written Matt a check for opening Mac Brown's eyes as to how to use VY.

And, (2) there is no doubt who the best athlete on the field was the night we narrowly lost to Texas in 2004.  And it was not #10 in Orange.

rusvegashog

^^^^^And all the congregation saidv v v v v

bigredone

Yep, Steve worked extra jobs during the summers. Lot's of teachers do but most of them aren't hardcore enough for  a steel mill in the summer heat.

Foshodo

He hasn't changed his look any more than ol' stoerner...

Großer Kriegschwein

four years of football with ol Nuttsky will burn out anybody.
This is my non-signature signature.

Razorback_Mack

I'll be glad when people quit referring to us guys with beards as duck dynasty. People in my family were growing thick beards long before Phil Robertson was biting greenheads.

twistitup

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 17, 2014, 07:15:59 am
I'll be glad when people quit referring to us guys with beards as duck dynasty. People in my family were growing thick beards long before Phil Robertson was biting greenheads.

This
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawkhawg

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 17, 2014, 07:15:59 am

That may be true for your family but you cant deny the role that Duck Dynasty has played in the popularity of the beard the last few years.

Been10Hog

Looked like Chris Cringle from the puppet/cartoon show "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" that plays every Christmas

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 17, 2014, 02:15:38 pm
Looked like Chris Cringle from the puppet/cartoon show "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" that plays every Christmas

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TheRazorbackGuy

His show on The Buzz in Little Rock might be the worst sports radio show in the south and certainly the worst in Arkansas

Wildhog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 17, 2014, 02:17:43 pm
His show on The Buzz in Little Rock might be the worst sports radio show in the south and certainly the worst in Arkansas

Nothing is worse than The Show with No Name
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogfan1660

That's why it doesn't have a name!

Southerneyes

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on September 17, 2014, 02:17:18 pm

Well thanks for the nightmare later.  When I was younger I had a dream that this weird little Santa man was sitting on my desk singing Cameo's "Word Up", making all those oddball facial expressions.  I haven't been the same since.

jjdlc

Quote from: bigredone on September 17, 2014, 02:22:02 am
Yep, Steve worked extra jobs during the summers. Lot's of teachers do but most of them aren't hardcore enough for  a steel mill in the summer heat.

Depends on what department he worked in.  Most of the plant isn't that bad, even in the summer.  Now galvanizing, wire drawing, the warehouse on that side were horrible.  Spent two summers in that warehouse, hit 140 in August.  Wonder when he was there, would have been close to the time I was there.

bigredone

I was in the strand department at the time so it had to be about 1999. I moved to an office job a couple of years later. Did almost 9 years in galvanizing and worked my way through the plant into production planning and logistics.

Galvaning was rough especially around the baths.

KennyForAD

or if we just had the TV exposure we have now...   Is there a better highlight reel than this one?  (note the teams on defense -  Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc. )

mlloyd4

Jones will likely always be my favorite razorback of all time.

Those 3 yards per stride scrambles and the excitement he brought on the field and his laid back demeanor. Really good memories.

Sure there are exceptions, but not much longevity for that style of play at QB in the NFL. He was fantastic to watch on the field in college and that's good enough for me.

WPS

Fatty McGee

How amazing would it be to know that if you get even the slightest amount of space, no one can catch you?  What an athlete, and what a wasted talent in terms of how he was used, and all the talent around him was used.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!