Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remembering a great Hog fan

Started by Tejano Jawg, September 12, 2014, 12:57:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Mods, put this where you see fit. But it does have a lot to do with football and the Razorbacks.   

This post is about my father—Lewis Beck. He passed away a little over a year ago, and this will be my second football season without him. He knew a few people on this board well, and had met a handful of others. Several said I should post something to let others know, but until now I could never seem to put it together. The reason I chose today to write this—it is the 70th anniversary of the day he got shot in China, flying his 20th mission piloting a B-25 Mitchell, essentially knocking him out of the war.

Here's the scoop. My father was born in Bentonville, and other than the 4+ year detour because of World War II (more on this later), he lived there all his life. He was a fierce Razorback fan and for many years was a football season ticket holder.

I'll always think about some of the great football he saw at Razorback Stadium over the years.
•In the last decade, he saw Matt Jones, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones do wonderful things (although we lost way too many of those games in their time.) I hated losing back then, but in a weird way, I did find some enjoyment—or comfort—over bitching about Nutt with him. Maybe that served as a good sedative.
•In more recent seasons, maybe the most spectacular play ever in Razorback Stadium—Joe Adams' punt return TD vs Tennessee—my dad's seat in the South Endzone was aligned perfectly in the path that Joe ran, north to south, in his direction.
•He made his share of road games to Dallas—including a couple of our Cotton Bowl losses, but also a couple SMU wins, and the first Hogs-Aggies game in Cowboys Stadium.
•He took me to my first Hog game in 1971, to see Joe Ferguson bomb TCU.

But some of the fondest memories were from my junior high and high school days, when the Hogs were on TV. Starting with Broyles' last teams and Eddie Sutton's Triplets teams, our living room was almost as electric as the live arena.

In the Nutt/Herring era, while we lost games in a variety of ways, my dad mostly blamed it on the fundamentals—one in particular. He'd say "I'm 88 years old, but I'm still going down to the University and start a tackling school." Over the years, the number would change but the message was always the same. "I'm 90 year old... I'm 91 years old..." In the many seasons he saw, that meant he'd seen more ref screwings than most on this board. One example he'd always bring up—and not what I'd typically think of—all the awful "spots" we'd get. He used so say Texas would gain an extra 50 yards per game just from bad spots of the football.

Backing up...though the times were difficult, there was a certain 'romance' with kids who grew up in the 30s. A couple football stories that could only be "Depression Era" tales—
•In the late 30s, he and a couple buddies would hitch-hike from Bentonville to Fayetteville to watch Razorback football games. Some of the UA football freshmen would work the gates (including another fellow Bentonville kid—the great Hog end and team captain A. J. Yates) and let them sneak in for free. He said back then Razorback Stadium was up on the hill where the library is now.
•For the Bentonville Tigers, my dad played quarterback. In his time, their football coach was really a basketball coach, so they'd usually call their own plays—probably just a few notches up from backyard football. The funniest story—his junior year, the Tigers beat Berryville—in Bentonville—34-0. The next year—with the game in Berryville—the Tigers won 7-6. He said he noticed that most of the Berryville players that year had beards and facial stubble. Turns out they were 'recruited' players from a nearby work camp. He was black and blue from head to toe.

He loved to hunt and fish. How great it must have been to sneak out of school (with my uncle) and go quail hunting. Back then, good hunting spots were just a short walk from anywhere in town. On the times he was busted, I always wondered how the conversation went with my grandfather, who also happened to be president of the school board.

After graduating, his last job before being drafted was listed as "laundry worker." Quite a contrast, because it wasn't long before he was flying over the Atlantic Ocean in a shiny new armored war plane that packed 14 machine guns and a 75 mm cannon, to inflict damage on the Empire of Japan. Much has been said about the 'greatest generation'...and it's still not enough. My dad was a warrior, but not a war hero.

Here's part of his obit—
Lewis graduated from Bentonville High School in 1938.  He was a varsity letterman, including starting at quarterback for the 1936 and 1937 football teams.

He proudly served in the United States Army Air Corp during World War II.  He was drafted into service in the U. S. Army before Pearl Harbor.  In 1942 he enrolled in flight cadet school and on February 1, 1943, was the first pilot in his training squadron to solo.  As a 1st Lieutenant, he took command of a B-25 bomber crew in the 11th Bombardment Squadron of the 14th Air Force in the China-Burma-India Theater.  He spent 1944 in southern China flying missions against Japanese forces—attacking convoys, shipping, railroads and bridges.  Lewis was seriously wounded on his last mission—bombing and strafing targets in the Hengyang-Kiyang area—in September, 1944, for which he received the Purple Heart medal.

He worked for the United States Post Office in Bentonville for 33 years and retired as the Postmaster in 1977. 

Since I've been a season ticket holder, the Fayetteville home-game ritual was always the same—I'd leave Dallas mid-afternoon on Friday (sometimes I'd pull one, two, or all three of my kids out of school to make the trip with me). After the 5 hour 15 minute drive north, I'd walk through the front door of my boyhood home, give him a hug and the secret family handshake, then take a seat in the kitchen. The kitchen TV was always on—either ESPN or a news channel—and I'd debate whether to have him mix me a Bourbon-and-Coke or a Rum-and-Coke.

Naturally I miss the big things—and I include the trips up to Hog games in that group—but I always think about the little things. Funny e-mails where he'd ALWAYS have the cap lock on when he typed, or phone calls sharing a chuckle when a huge winter storm that was headed to Northwest Arkansas, takes a turn and hits Dallas instead. Stuff like that.

He was blessed with good health. He always gave credit where credit was due—Old Crow. (Although he would drink better stuff than that on occasion.) Most of my high school friends thought he was unchanged by time. In the last 4 months of his life, numerous things caught up to him, not the least of which was cancer. He had it in him to fight off many of these issues, just not all of them. In his last days, he was very weak, but his comic timing never missed a beat.

Every September, about now, he would take a shot of whiskey to celebrate the bullet from Japanese ground fire that nearly took off his leg, but spared his life. I adopted that custom too. My dad was just an average, ordinary guy—and at the same time, to his family and friends—bigger than life. Many of you know someone just like him. So, if they're still with you, I ask you to go celebrate with them. And if they have moved on, raise a glass—of any beverage of your choosing—in their honor.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Westcoasthog

dhornjr1

+1

We  share things with our fathers that other people just wouldn't understand.

SemperFi

Wow, just wow! Really appreciate you sharing your story with us all. Your father sounded like a great man and as we all know belonged to a generation that was tough as nails. I hope that I've made as much of a difference in my children's lives as it appears that your father made in yours. Semper Fi and WOO PIG SOOIE!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

lahawg1

Very nice, I share some of the same things with my Father (who is now 83). I do realize that he may be in the "Autumn" of his life and I do try to spend as much time as possible with him. Like your dad mine was in a war, not WWII but Korea and has seen more than I ever will. Thanks for sharing

LAHogfan123

Loved the story Brother.  Your Dad was indeed part of the last great generation, one that will never be duplicated again.  In some parts it sounded as though I could picture myself and my Dad right into your story.  Your Dad lived a long life and evidently a happy one, you didn't say if you had siblings, but I'm sure you did, and you said you have 3 kids yourself, so he was blessed to have kids that loved him plus I'm sure plenty of Grandchildren.  I thank you for your writing about your Dad, I wish we had a place on the Board permanent to where we could dedicate stories like this in memory to those loved ones we've lost.

twistitup

Thanks for that post - he must have been a wonderful man.

Cheers

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Ragnar Hogbrok

Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna go call my dad.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: SemperFi on September 12, 2014, 04:50:31 am
Wow, just wow! Really appreciate you sharing your story with us all. Your father sounded like a great man and as we all know belonged to a generation that was tough as nails. I hope that I've made as much of a difference in my children's lives as it appears that your father made in yours. Semper Fi and WOO PIG SOOIE!
My dad fought in Korea. He has been gone ten years. Thanks for sharing.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

bphi11ips

Nice way to start the day.  Thanks for sharing.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BorderPatrol

Ex-Trumpet

Thanks for sharing!  I lost my dad this past May to cancer (made it 6 weeks after his diagnosis).  He, too, was a lifelong Hog fan and we would talk MULTIPLE times during games!  These first two games (Auburn in particular) have been difficult.  I keep expecting the phone to ring--or pick up the phone and call--after every great (or bad) play, penalty, etc.

I hope to be as good a father to my kids...but I know I fall short.  That generation has been called "the greatest" with damn good reason!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jgphillips3

Thank you for sharing.  +1

My father passed on September 22, 2012 (my 43rd birthday) going to join my mother who passed one year almost to the day before.  I miss him always but especially during Razorback season.  He preferred Scotch and soda to whiskey, but I bet our experiences were pretty darn similar beyond that. :)

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ShadowTheHedgehog

Thanks Tejano, great story +1

I Photoshoped the following image in about 10-15 minutes for another post about uniforms. It's not a great Photoshop job but I think it gives more or less an idea of what I would like for them to do. I think the Hogs should really do something special for the veterans Day week. Show the vets and troops that we are grateful and always remember.

KCHOGFAN

Great Story.  Thanks for sharing.

This makes we want to be a better father to my two sons. 

Mike_e

It's hard sometimes to see a lifetime's gain over a single day's loss.

You've reminded us that a lifetime is far greater than a single day.

Thank you.

mike
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

GolfnHog

September 12, 2014, 10:41:38 am #17 Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:57:54 am by GolfnHog
Tejano, what an awesome tribute to a great man and father. I will honor your father and all the great fathers of the "greatest generation w/ a toast of 25 yr. old Scotch!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

AcornHunter

Tejano Jawg,

I thank you for the article and your father for protecting our country.

His generation, the "greatest generation", was tougher than my and the present one.  Measure the young men posing in front of Honeychile–no puss guts on them–to this generation walking into a Wal-Mart, probably headed for the cookie aisle, and just from a fast food joint.  To pick it farther, greasy, sugar-coated wrappers are likely littering the parking lot, no matter that trash cans sit handily nearby.

Servicemen of your father's generation went over and won a world war then came home and went about their daily lives.  Starting with the Viet Nam "conflict" (it seemed like a war to me, I was there) and on through the latest war or conflict, so many returning servicemen spend their time and energy whining about varied syndromes and looking for government handouts rather than trying to build rewarding lives.

I salute the memory of Lewis Beck and his fellow fighters who won WW2. 

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Great post!  It was an honor to read that.  My Dad is still with us and he is a Korean War vet.  He also still loves the Hogs! 

Pigsear

Great post, thanks for sharing, my father was an infantryman in WW2, he's been gone since 98.

pigture perfect

Great post. Thanks for sharing T-hawg.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Calvin Swine

A wonderful write up!  I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad that you to had a dad worthy of such wonderful recollection to recount. 

May we all strive to be "bigger than life" to our loved ones.  Maybe one of them will look back with as much admiration and fondness and want to tell our story.

Cheers

Boaris Tusknik

+1 Thanks for sharing. Awesome write up.

hog911

seasonhog

•For the Bentonville Tigers, my dad played quarterback. In his time, their football coach was really a basketball coach, so they'd usually call their own plays—probably just a few notches up from backyard football. The funniest story—his junior year, the Tigers beat Berryville—in Bentonville—34-0. The next year—with the game in Berryville—the Tigers won 7-6. He said he noticed that most of the Berryville players that year had beards and facial stubble. Turns out they were 'recruited' players from a nearby work camp. He was black and blue from head to toe.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing....you done a great job talking about your dad....am glad you had him around for those many yrs.

Your dad telling about playing Berryville in junior high.....I also play berryville  in junior high in 1959...they were still playing grown men...glad you shared the story.

Best to you...

sowmonella

Thanks so much for your post Tejano. I know all of us were deeply touched by your words.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

It was a pleasure reading this.

Thanks!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorbackkid

Thanks for sharing that great story.

+1
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

LSUFan

It's obvious that the greatness of this man, has be instilled in his son.

You honor your father TJ, good job, good job young man.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

flynhog

Thanks for sharing!  They don't make men like that anymore.

My father served for 26 years in the National guard in college and then 22 years on active duty after he graduated.  He left the Army in 73 but the Army never really left him.  A couple of years before he died he ask us to bury him in his Pinks and Greens, which we did.
Cowboys fan on Sundays.   Hogs fan on Saturdays.  Great father everyday.

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

hogman64

I have been to many Razorback tailgates with Mr. Beck as I knew him for over 40 years.  he was my sister's father in law and it was a  privilege to be around him over the years. When I was a student  at the U of A in the 70s Mr and Mrs Beck would have me to their home in Bentonville for dinner on occasion and it was always the best meal I had all year as well as a lot of fun .  He  was the kind of guy you wanted to be around, I always really enjoyed talking to him  and he  was a great role model for any man .  If the world was full of Lewis Becks, it would be a better place.......and Hog fans would rule....

RedBird5

Thank you for sharing that.  Having recently lost my grandfather, who also served in WWII, it was very touching to hear about your father.  He was obviously a great man. He and his generation were truly "the  Greatest Generation" and the like will not be seen again.  Without them, who knows where we'd be.  Thank you again for sharing

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thanks for sharing your story about a great father, man, hero and Hog fan.

Could read a story like this everyday.

+1

And, he was so right about this:
"He used so say Texas would gain an extra 50 yards per game just from bad spots of the football".

Tejano Jawg

Guys, truly, I appreciate the comments.

That was one long-winded post, but I know you all got the idea. (As I said, it was a year in the making.) I wanted to focus partly on the Razorback-related stuff—because the Hogs were a very important pastime to my dad—but to also add some miscellaneous tangents. I figured, if I was going to take up your time, I better provide a little entertainment along the way. I've got more to say to you Hogville brothers...later.

(And thanks MT.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

RollHogTide

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 16, 2014, 12:27:50 am
Guys, truly, I appreciate the comments.

No - thank you for sharing such wonderful memories about a great man.

WizardofhOgZ

Tejano,

Your post touched me deeply.  I'm guessing our father's were very close to the same age - I lost mine 3 years ago next month.  He was 91.  Appropriately, I always think of that day as the Monday after our stirring comeback vs. the Aggies in the most recent game we played against them at Jerry World.  Dad and I discussed that game after it was over, and his spirit was lifted, as it always was after a Hog victory - it was the last conversation I had with him.  Dad was a WWII vet and rarely spoke about it - unless someone asked him to.  Even then, his comments were brief.  But it was hard to keep him from talking about the Razorbacks.  Even though I grew up in Texas, I grew up a die-hard Hog fan because of his enthusiasm for the Razorbacks.  It never entered my mind to follow the local herd pulling for UT.

Of course, your OP was about you and your father.  But so many of us can relate to the special bond that the two of you obviously shared.  It stirred many emotions for me.  Thank you very much for sharing with us.

jhippy

Thank you for sharing. What a good man. Wish we had more like him.

staffhog

Man,I got a lump reading that.  What a great tribute to a wonderful dad and hero.  I know you miss him.

I may knock down a shot for both of you, tonight.

DeltaBoy

Props to You for sharing about your Dad, He was like my Grandfather who served in WW2,in the South Pacific.
Glad I still have my Dad he just turned 70 this Summer. 
Prayers sent for you as you remember those precious memories.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Amazing. All of it, and I've read it twice. I'm one of the fortunate fellow Hogs to have met Lewis, on several occasions. What a nice, genuine and witty guy. Usually I would want to read a post like this when the Hogs were sucking, just to give me a better feeling about life, but the timing is just fine as is.

There are lots of great comments here, very much worth the full read! There's so many things in the OP that have been touched on, I want to single out something that I was especially amused by—your dad wanting to go start a Tackling School. (By the way, that narrowly beat out the "spotting the football.") The thing about old guys, they were tough. And some old guy isn't going to talk about dropped passes, he's going to talk about shotty TACKLING!

Take care my friend. Cheers to Lewis.