Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Fornelli picked the Hogs for an interesting reason

Started by Fayettechill14, September 11, 2014, 08:29:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldArmy94

This game is the biggest game for Arkansas since last week and the biggest before next week.

AH, THIS is why I love college football.

Gonzo

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2014, 08:53:01 pm
Missing the premise of an argument is more important than missing the argument itself sometimes.

It amazes me that someone can bring fact-based data to the board and not get engaged in similar fashion.

What was missed? The OP cited an article and other information that suggests that the better a team is, the more easily it handles a bad opponent. Wow, groundbreaking insight I suppose, sorry I think it's pretty self-evident.   As I said in my initial response, I hope the Hogs have an impressive performance tomorrow.

Go Hogs! Beat Tech!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Gonzo on September 12, 2014, 04:58:09 pm

What was missed? The OP cited an article and other information that suggests that the better a team is, the more easily it handles a bad opponent. Wow, groundbreaking insight I suppose, sorry I think it's pretty self-evident.   As I said in my initial response, I hope the Hogs have an impressive performance tomorrow.

Go Hogs! Beat Tech!

You have missed the point. I'm sorry, but if this is what you think Fornelli's point was, you are incorrect.

jesterzzn

It's a by product of his style.  If you condition the kids to physically dominate the lines, then when they do it from the start against weaker competition, the end result will be ridiculous scores.  You can't call off the dogs when the dogs are basic iso blocking plays to begin with.

The take from the article is interesting.  We'll see if it holds true, but I put more stock in the way we played Auburn than the way we played last week.

We have the men up front capable of pushing around SEC caliber d-lines until they start playing gaps and run blitzing.  We have the defense to slow down great offense, for three quarters.  These are mostly correctable things. 

We should overpower Texas Tech.  If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we will win by more than two touchdowns.  If we turn it over alot, drop first and third down passes, or blow coverages on 3rd downs, we could lose by just as many.

Both teams play well?  We win.

HogFanatic

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 12, 2014, 06:19:51 pm
It's a by product of his style.  If you condition the kids to physically dominate the lines, then when they do it from the start against weaker competition, the end result will be ridiculous scores.  You can't call off the dogs when the dogs are basic iso blocking plays to begin with.

The take from the article is interesting.  We'll see if it holds true, but I put more stock in the way we played Auburn than the way we played last week.

We have the men up front capable of pushing around SEC caliber d-lines until they start playing gaps and run blitzing.  We have the defense to slow down great offense, for three quarters.  These are mostly correctable things. 

We should overpower Texas Tech.  If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we will win by more than two touchdowns.  If we turn it over alot, drop first and third down passes, or blow coverages on 3rd downs, we could lose by just as many.

Really this is it in a nutshell. Don't turn the ball over and secure the catch and everything will be just fine.

Arkansas doesn't commit penalties anymore, and I am THRILLED about that. That is the most impressive stat I have seen from Bielema since he has been here.

Gonzo

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 12, 2014, 05:33:58 pm
You have missed the point. I'm sorry, but if this is what you think Fornelli's point was, you are incorrect.

You and the author both observed that the better BB's teams were, the more they rolled their weaker competition. You both asserted that rolling said weaker competition was a signal those teams were better than the ones that didn't win against weaker competition as easily. And you both seem to feel that the Hogs dominating Nicholls St last week is a more positive indicator of this team than had they struggled with them.

Um, exactly!   What other inference would one take from that data? The better a team is, the more it should squash weaker teams, and squashing weaker teams probably means the team is better than if it struggled to beat the same team(s). Pretty circular as a matter of fact. I'm rather amused y'all seem unsettled that anyone would point out this should be pretty self-evident.
But if it makes y'all feel better........oh wow, that's some amazing insight!!!!

I'll even step out on a limb about tomorrow's game and theorize that if the Hogs win by 21+ it just might mean they're better than if they lose by 21+. Pretty radical thinking.

Go Hogs! Beat Tech!

PonderinHog

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 12, 2014, 06:19:51 pm

Also, tomorrow's high temperature will be around 70 degrees, right?

ghostzapper

Quote from: OldArmy94 on September 12, 2014, 04:53:46 pm
This game is the biggest game for Arkansas since last week and the biggest before next week.

AH, THIS is why I love college football.

beautifully said!

jesterzzn

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 12, 2014, 09:14:49 pm
I think it well help our defensive line hold up through four quarters, as compared to what happened at Auburn, when it was 90+ degrees and near 100% humidity.

Ohhh, you said temperature.  Nevermind.

No seriously, I had no idea where you were going with that.  Thanks for the clarification, and yes it should make a huge difference.

LZH

Dirty

MJ2

DeltaBoy

Great Game and he might be right. We lined up and ran it down Techs Throat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.