Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Fornelli picked the Hogs for an interesting reason

Started by Fayettechill14, September 11, 2014, 08:29:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

On CBS Sports' podcast for week 3, Tom Fornelli said he took the Hogs with his #8 confidence pick (out of 10), saying that he saw all he needed to see in the Nicholls State game.

Not that we ran the ball well or anything (Nicholls State was really bad), but instead Fornelli said he covered Wisconsin for years, and he knew that anytime Wisconsin would annihilate some small school, it was a sign that Bielema really liked his team and was confident. If Wisconsin struggled with them, Bielema knew there were some issues.

I decided to fact check him, and the results pretty much back him up:

Season  Record       Notable games
2006      11-1         W. Illinois, 34-10
2007      9-4          Citadel, 45-31
2008      7-6           Cal Poly, 36-35 (OT)
2009     10-3         Wofford, 44-14
2010     11-2         Austin Peay, 70-3 and Indiana, 83-20
2011     11-3         South Dakota, 59-10 and Indiana, 59-7
2012     8-6           UNI, 26-21

2013     3-9          Samford, 31-21
2014      ??           Nicholls State, 73-7

Like clockwork, Bielema's best teams ran up insane scores on weaker opponents. When his team wasn't as good, those games tended to be lower scoring. The difference is more stark than most other teams. Fornelli took the destruction of Nicholls State (compared to Samford last year) as a sign that Bielema feels good about his team.

I don't know if I agree, I just thought it was interesting.

Gonzo

Um, ok, the Hogs ran up the score on a lesser opponent, that's good. And if they hadn't, that would have been not so good?  Doesn't seem all that insightful to me.    That being said, I hope last week was more indicative of what's to come than the second half of the opener.

Go Hogs!

Cure

Arkansas is completely capable of playing above .500 football imho, biggest question is if they can get some depth developed on defense.

They are a much improved team, I've noticed that for sure.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Doug

FYI, had the Hogs not scored like they did... they would've looked like South Carolina or Kentucky.

Alabama (41)   FAU (0)
Arkansas (73)   Nicholls State (7)
Auburn (59)   San Jose State (13)
Florida (65)   Eastern Michigan (0)
Kentucky (20)   Ohio (3)
LSU (56)   Sam Houston State (0)
Mississippi State (47)   UAB (34)
South Carolina (33)   East Carolina (23)
Tennessee (34)   Arkansas State (19)
Texas AM (73)   Lamar (3)
Toledo (24)   Missouri (49)
Vanderbilt (3)   Ole Miss (41)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

LZH

I'm damn-near about to talk myself into thinking BB might be onto something.....close anyway.  I've re-watched parts of both of our games and have seen parts of both of Tech's games and I'm convinced that if the eye test is any indication, we're gonna rough Tech up pretty good.  I certainly feel alot better than I did this time last week.

I told ya'll I'd keep my options open about BB, and that if we go down there and beat the living crap out of them then I'll start singing a little different tune. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 08:44:37 pm
I told ya'll I'd keep my options open about BB, and that if we go down there and beat the living crap out of them then I'll start singing a little different tune. 

This game is HUGE.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 11, 2014, 08:46:13 pm
This game is HUGE.

Yeah, I didn't wanna mention how disappointing it would be if we go down there and get beat.  Just because I feel better about the game now than I did when we started talking about it Sunday or Monday doesn't mean that BB needs this win any less.  Your words say it all.....this game is huge.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Gonzo on September 11, 2014, 08:33:40 pm
Um, ok, the Hogs ran up the score on a lesser opponent, that's good. And if they hadn't, that would have been not so good?  Doesn't seem all that insightful to me.    That being said, I hope last week was more indicative of what's to come than the second half of the opener.

Go Hogs!

Missing the premise of an argument is more important than missing the argument itself sometimes.

It amazes me that someone can bring fact-based data to the board and not get engaged in similar fashion.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

That is interesting, but I have a hard to buying it, because Nicholls State was just so bad.  I'm not trying to slight a nice win for us, but I think if we had handed the ball to the Nicholls State NG, and told him to turn around and run, that he would have scored a TD for us.

I've noted previously that I don't recall such a dominant win by Arkansas in 40 years, but I don't recall such a pitiful performance by an opponent, either.

Jon Ham

Quote from: redeye on September 11, 2014, 08:59:41 pm
I've noted previously that I don't recall such a dominant win by Arkansas in 40 years, but I don't recall such a pitiful performance by an opponent, either.

Yep. It's an interesting take by Tom Fornelli, but I think every Razorback team I've ever witnessed would have been able to score as many points as they wanted to on that Nicholls team. At first I was laughing about how bad Nicholls was, but then at about the 2nd quarter, I started to feel bad for them. Even if Fornelli is right about the trend, I don't think the Nicholls game qualifies.

onebadrubi

I'm damn-near about to talk myself into thinking BB might be onto something.....close anyway.  I've re-watched parts of both of our games and have seen parts of both of Tech's games and I'm convinced that if the eye test is any indication, we're gonna rough Tech up pretty good.  I certainly feel alot better than I did this time last week.

I knew I liked you for some reason.  Atta boy

carolinahogger

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 11, 2014, 08:29:20 pm
On CBS Sports' podcast for week 3, Tom Fornelli said he took the Hogs with his #8 confidence pick (out of 10), saying that he saw all he needed to see in the Nicholls State game.

Not that we ran the ball well or anything (Nicholls State was really bad), but instead Fornelli said he covered Wisconsin for years, and he knew that anytime Wisconsin would annihilate some small school, it was a sign that Bielema really liked his team and was confident. If Wisconsin struggled with them, Bielema knew there were some issues.

I decided to fact check him, and the results pretty much back him up:

Season  Record       Notable games
2006      11-1         W. Illinois, 34-10
2007      9-4          Citadel, 45-31
2008      7-6           Cal Poly, 36-35 (OT)
2009     10-3         Wofford, 44-14
2010     11-2         Austin Peay, 70-3 and Indiana, 83-20
2011     11-3         South Dakota, 59-10 and Indiana, 59-7
2012     8-6           UNI, 26-21

2013     3-9          Samford, 31-21
2014      ??           Nicholls State, 73-7

Like clockwork, Bielema's best teams ran up insane scores on weaker opponents. When his team wasn't as good, those games tended to be lower scoring. The difference is more stark than most other teams. Fornelli took the destruction of Nicholls State (compared to Samford last year) as a sign that Bielema feels good about his team.

I don't know if I agree, I just thought it was interesting.

TLDR:  Correlation = Causation

OP, I am not picking on you.  You summarized the opinion of the writer.  Thanks for the thread.

LZH

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 11, 2014, 09:09:29 pm
I knew I liked you for some reason.  Atta boy

Let's not start swapping spit just yet, we gotta win first.                     :P

31to6

Quote from: Doug on September 11, 2014, 08:44:14 pm
FYI, had the Hogs not scored like they did... they would've looked like South Carolina or Kentucky.

That's not really fair to South Carolina. ECU is not a bad team and for their conference, they are very physical.

lefty08

That is interesting, but I have a hard to buying it, because Nicholls State was just so bad.  I'm not trying to slight a nice win for us, but I think if we had handed the ball to the Nicholls State NG, and told him to turn around and run, that he would have scored a TD for us.

The 2 usually go hand in hand  ;)
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LZH

Quote from: 31to6 on September 11, 2014, 09:27:26 pm
That's not really fair to South Carolina. ECU is not a bad team and for their conference, they are very physical.

They certainly got my attention back in '09.  By the end of the season, Petrino's team was pretty damn salty and I figured it was a total mismatch.  Wrong.

redeye

Quote from: lefty08 on September 11, 2014, 09:29:17 pm
The 2 usually go hand in hand  ;)

Yea, no doubt that our massive OL gave Nicholls State fits and that's real.

AugustaHog

Guys I'm doing all I can to not get too overconfident about this one.  I'm a little worried about the back 7 but can't imagine them stopping us.  I really hope we put the rest of college football on notice that we will no longer be a doormat.

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 08:49:49 pm
Yeah, I didn't wanna mention how disappointing it would be if we go down there and get beat.  Just because I feel better about the game now than I did when we started talking about it Sunday or Monday doesn't mean that BB needs this win any less.  Your words say it all.....this game is huge.

I know that's very "captain obvious" of me, but there aren't many other ways to say it.  I think about 40% of the fan base would agree.  This game could go a long way securing a large majority of support for BB.

I don't like hanging everything on one game, I do think this team could recover if we were to lose.  But to win would really start some major momentum.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

The NewEra

Dang, I'm proud of you man :)

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 09:31:32 pm
They certainly got my attention back in '09.  By the end of the season, Petrino's team was pretty damn salty and I figured it was a total mismatch.  Wrong.

It was too cold, just too cold
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

luke hawg

There was a girl at work that was complaining about the way Bielema ran up the score. I told her she better develop thicker skin b/c it's not going to be the first time. If your success is dependent on smashing the football, your going to destroy weaker opponents. There just isn't much the opposing team can do when they are being pushed 5 yards down field. There is no defensive adjustment once putting 9 in the box doesn't work to slow that kind of team down. There also becomes virtually no risk of losing those games. It's what I call shrinking your schedule. Hopefully we will easily push around our non conference schedule this year which leaves us with an 8 game season. After this year I'd like to be pushing around ole miss, Missouri, and MSU. This leaves us with a 5 game season possibly 4 depending on who our East opponent is. This is how you stack recruiting classes and win a championship at Arkansas.

lumphog

Come on in boys, the water is fine!!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on September 11, 2014, 09:54:31 pm
Can you imagine what one of Mallett's passes must have felt like that night?  Geez Louise.

Quote from: luke hawg on September 11, 2014, 09:58:04 pm
There was a girl at work that was complaining about the way Bielema ran up the score. I told her she better develop thicker skin b/c it's not going to be the first time. If your success is dependent on smashing the football, your going to destroy weaker opponents. There just isn't much the opposing team can do when they are being pushed 5 yards down field. There is no defensive adjustment once putting 9 in the box doesn't work to slow that kind of team down. There also becomes virtually no risk of losing those games. It's what I call shrinking your schedule. Hopefully we will easily push around our non conference schedule this year which leaves us with an 8 game season. After this year I'd like to be pushing around ole miss, Missouri, and MSU. This leaves us with a 5 game season possibly 4 depending on who our East opponent is. This is how you stack recruiting classes and win a championship at Arkansas.

What did she expect them to do?  When you get the ball all the way to the end zone on the first play from scrimmage, it's not like you can stop and just fall down short of the end zone.

Dwight_K_Shrute

If you struggle against FCS teams even in wins you will most likely struggle against FBS teams. Revelutionary thinking.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LZH

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 11, 2014, 09:45:36 pm
I know that's very "captain obvious" of me, but there aren't many other ways to say it.  I think about 40% of the fan base would agree.  This game could go a long way securing a large majority of support for BB.

I don't like hanging everything on one game, I do think this team could recover if we were to lose.  But to win would really start some major momentum.

I'm trying to stay positive, optimistic.  But I really have gotten a dose of confidence in the past couple of days....from where, who knows.  I've watched some video of us and them and do feel much better.  I realize that I'm not a coach so I'm not necessarily interested in personnel or schematics or whatever, but we all have our certain knacks for taking a team's temperature by what we see on film in several respects.

While I'm yet to be impressed with the coaching job BB has done on the field thus far, we do look more organized than last year and even this past spring.  I haven't seen much grabassery in between plays as I did last year...and I don't mean goofing off.  I mean having a purpose, some snap, some swagger - the kind you don't fake, the kind where you're not just trying to show off.  If it's BB, or Smith, or Chaney....somebody has these kids wanting to play some damn football.

Tech, on the other hand, I see just the opposite.  Now alot of that was possibly because their opponent wasn't from the SEC, but when you check them out "when no one is watching" as they say, they're not ready for some big boy ball.  They very well could be come Saturday, they have some talent and I think their coach might be pretty good.  But he hasn't had their butts in gear for the past two games and it shows during the plays and between plays and on the sideline.  They've had this game circled, for sure, so that may change.  But like I said the other day, if I were a Tech fan I would be concerned....and not just for Saturday but for the season.

Now if we go down there and look like Ned in the first reader and they roll up 45 points on us, then I'll eat my words.  But I'm on the record as saying that they aren't ready for conference play or even for the last placed team in the SEC West.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 11, 2014, 10:10:40 pm
If you struggle against FCS teams even in wins you will most likely struggle against FBS teams. Revelutionary thinking.

That wasn't the point. Most 6-6 teams can beat an FCS opponent by 45. Fornelli was saying that the difference was more stark with Bielema: his worse teams struggled with FCS foes even more than you would expect (see: Samford) while his better teams would obliterate them with an eye-popping score.

Doug

The one thing I've liked about Bielema (and this is off topic, somewhat, sorry...) is the fact that there were NO reports nor arrests of any Hogs CFB player this past offseason. I think only one other SEC school can claim that distinction...

Bielema strikes me as a Player's Coach, while still maintaining a *very* tight grip on off-field behaviors.... something we haven't seen in a *very* long time.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

LZH

Quote from: Doug on September 11, 2014, 10:17:46 pm
The one thing I've liked about Bielema (and this is off topic, somewhat, sorry...) is the fact that there were NO reports nor arrests of any Hogs CFB player this past offseason. I think only one other SEC school can claim that distinction...

Bielema strikes me as a Player's Coach, while still maintaining a *very* tight grip on off-field behaviors.... something we haven't seen in a *very* long time.

If he could just stay off twitter while taking us to a bowl game I'll kiss him right on the mouth, which I'm certain he would enjoy greatly.

870hogfan

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 10:23:11 pm
If he could just stay off twitter while taking us to a bowl game I'll kiss him right on the mouth, which I'm certain he would enjoy greatly.

The only thing he post on Twitter now is Razorback news and how the student athletes are doing on and off the field.

WBC Hog

Yes it was!!!

If your success is dependent on smashing the football, your going to destroy weaker opponents. There just isn't much the opposing team can do when they are being pushed 5 yards down field. There is no defensive adjustment once putting 9 in the box doesn't work to slow that kind of team down. There also becomes virtually no risk of losing those games. It's what I call shrinking your schedule. Hopefully we will easily push around our non conference schedule this year which leaves us with an 8 game season. After this year I'd like to be pushing around ole miss, Missouri, and MSU. This leaves us with a 5 game season possibly 4 depending on who our East opponent is. This is how you stack recruiting classes and win a championship at Arkansas.

I've never really thought of it that way. Putting it that way though makes me like our style even better.

The one thing I've liked about Bielema (and this is off topic, somewhat, sorry...) is the fact that there were NO reports nor arrests of any Hogs CFB player this past offseason.

LZH

Quote from: 870hogfan on September 11, 2014, 10:40:28 pm

The only thing he post on Twitter now is Razorback news and how the student athletes are doing on and off the field.

Excellent.

See?  It's working already.

Which leads to good preparation, which is key to going on the road.

If our guys our ready to go and know where they are supposed to be at all times, we should win big.

I agree, I like what I've seen so far as far as preparation, discipline and primarily not kissing up to the GOBN.

GO HOGS!

ZERO

I remember Florida had no arrests for quite some time. I'm not sure if they made it to September, however.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

cosmodrum

It's clear the players have bought in.
Go away, batin'

ZERO

Quote from: Doug on September 11, 2014, 08:44:14 pm

Alabama (41)   FAU (0)
Arkansas (73)   Nicholls State (7)
Auburn (59)   San Jose State (13)
Florida (65)   Eastern Michigan (0)
Kentucky (20)   Ohio (3)
LSU (56)   Sam Houston State (0)
Mississippi State (47)   UAB (34)
South Carolina (33)   East Carolina (23)
Tennessee (34)   Arkansas State (19)
Texas AM (73)   Lamar (3)
Toledo (24)   Missouri (49)
Vanderbilt (3)   Ole Miss (41)

To be fair to Kentucky, Ohio isn't all THAT weak of an opponent, given their conference, and Kentucky is coming off a 2-10 season. 20-3 is a pretty dominant performance. In the past five seasons, Ohio has a 10-win and two 9-win seasons.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

redeye

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 11, 2014, 09:44:10 pm
Guys I'm doing all I can to not get too overconfident about this one.  I'm a little worried about the back 7 but can't imagine them stopping us.  I really hope we put the rest of college football on notice that we will no longer be a doormat.

I think the relevancy of this game has been blown out of proportion a little.  Losing to Tech would be a really bad sign, but beating them won't guarantee any conference wins.  I think it's a game we should win, but we'll be a SEC doormat until we win a conference game (I don't think we've ever been a FBS doormat.)

Yea, that's huge.

ZERO

Quote from: redeye on September 12, 2014, 12:04:50 am
Losing to Tech would be a really bad sign, but beating them won't guarantee any conference wins.

It'll just be hard to convince anyone we've had any improvement over the past two years if we lose to Tech. If we can't beat Tech, then there are obviously not six more winnable games on the schedule. It's just too early in football season to feel as hopeless as we will if we drop this game.

ChitownHawg

Those two usually go together. Hard to have a dominating performance against a dominating opponent.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 11, 2014, 10:01:52 pm
What did she expect them to do?  When you get the ball all the way to the end zone on the first play from scrimmage, it's not like you can stop and just fall down short of the end zone.

I forgot which coach I heard say this years ago, but when he was confronted with the question of running up the score. He basically said "What am I to do? Tell the 3rd string guy, who has practiced just as hard as anyone and has family in the stands, to not play his best?"

The last few years Bama has been racking up 50 on us has never made me angry at Bama. It is not up to them to help us field a quality team. That is our job.

Some people never get that and with kids growing up in little leagues that don't keep score this "fair" attitude will probably grow.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GolfnHog

LZH,  Brother I hope you get to start warming up those pipes!!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ifghog

Yes it was, yes it was.....I still don't think I have warmed up from that game.

Biggus Piggus

Yeah I am open to the possibility that Nicholls was so horrible that the game result is misleading.

There's no substitute for success in a football game, though. Can practice it 1,000x, doesn't do the same amount of good.

At the same time, can you remember 2006? Arkansas's offense was pretty awful for the first four games. Then the Hogs went to Auburn and beat a top 5 opponent soundly, with a great deal of credit due to the creativity of the offensive game plan.

It's entirely plausible that Texas Tech could be vastly better on offense this week + the first two performances are misleading. I very much doubt, though, that their defense is going to be much better.
[CENSORED]!

MJ2

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: ifghog on September 12, 2014, 08:53:38 am
Yes it was, yes it was.....I still don't think I have warmed up from that game.
BUT! We had Eddie "Frigging" Money t halftime! Every time his music comes on the radio, my wife still shivers.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 11, 2014, 08:29:20 pm
Like clockwork, Bielema's best teams ran up insane scores on weaker opponents. When his team wasn't as good, those games tended to be lower scoring.

Or more simply put Bielema doesn't tend toward sandbagging future opponents when playing lesser ones.  He wants you to see (most of) what is coming.

When one is trying to instil confidence in his own team, fear in the opponent, and respect from the world that is the way to do it.

1highhog

Yep, CBB is not going to be the kind that just sits on a lead.  He used every possible player he could against Nicholl St and still we scored, we could have easily have hung a 100 on them.  With the game getting out of hand by the end of the 1st quarter, you would have heard more whining from our own fanbase than from anyone Nationally if we would have came out passing more.  And we really needed some work on passing.  But CBB wasn't running up the score by any means, he was playing 3rd stringers in some areas already by the end of the 1st quarter.  You need to tell that girl over the next few years when a rent to win game comes in here, she better not watch the game, or go to the game, because it's going to get ugly.

Birminghog

About 20 or so years ago, I worked at an FCS school that was beaten 55-7 by an SEC School. Our head coach said, "It's not their job not to score. It's our job to stop them." I liked that attitude then, and I like it now.