Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State modifies cross on helmet

Started by Seminole Indian, September 10, 2014, 07:02:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

I'm not offended by crosses.  They don't bother me one bit.  The crosses on ASU's helmet didn't offend me.  But that still doesn't mean ASU was right in doing it.

Prayer, even public prayer, doesn't offend me in the slightest.  But that doesn't make it right for public school teachers and administrators to lead public prayers in classrooms or for the student body.

Under God in the pledge doesn't offend me.  But it doesn't make it right for them to have added it.  Our original pre-1950's motto "E Pluribus Unum" or "Out of many; one" seems much more American to me, much more appropriate for a nation that has always lauded itself as a cultural melting pot.

God on the money doesn't offend me one bit.  It doesn't make it right for them to have added it.

I'm much more concerned about issues like this: http://m.mic.com/articles/98686/segregation-was-sometimes-unequal-and-other-lowlights-from-texas-awful-new-textbooks
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Blue35

Seminole Indian

September 12, 2014, 03:54:34 pm #53 Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:15:14 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Blue35 on September 12, 2014, 03:14:30 pm
Seems to be a comprehensive Memo of law on the subject.

Seemed like a they want the University to reconsider their decision to remove the cross to me,

Regardless of the decals' presence on helmets owned by ASU, if religious expression is private speech, it matters not that "persons viewing the helmets will, and have, seen the symbol as a cross and interpreted that symbol as an endorsement of the Christian religion." "If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable." Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397, 414 (1989). Private speech may not be suppressed simply because some disagree, or are unreasonable in their misperceptions. 

and they will join the fight.

Therefore, Liberty Counsel hopes that the University will adopt a strategy and practice consistent with Liberty Counsel's advice that respects players' private speech. If the University does so, and an agreement for representation is reached, Liberty Counsel would defend the University on a pro bono basis, at no cost to the University in the event that it is called to defend its actions in court. 

Really don't think the University would consider changing course,but as always enjoy reading the opinions of others and getting different perspectives.

I do look for a lot of t-shirts with a cross on them at the next home game.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 12, 2014, 03:54:34 pm

I do look for a lot of t-shirts with a cross on them at the next home game.

Thought you don't go to ASU games?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:15 pm

Well, now he will come back and say he was just walking past the stadium and the coaches invited him in to watch the game.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:15 pm
I don't, but I still look for there to be a lot of t-Shirts with the cross on them.

I look for there to be a lot of Razorback fans in Lubbock today, but will not go to the  game there either.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2014, 09:24:22 pm
Well, now he will come back and say he was just walking past the stadium and the coaches invited him in to watch the game.
I don't know one coach on this staff. I was invited and went to a scrimmage with a former player.

Will probably have a number of people invite me to their home games, do every year, but  have no interest in attending a game.

Seminole Indian

September 13, 2014, 09:12:53 am #58 Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:04:41 am by Seminole Indian
In todays edition of the Jonesboro Sun, Jeff Hankins, Arkansas States University System vice president for strategic communications and economic development, stated that despite "offers of free representation by groups on  both sides of the issue" the university has not taken any further action.

In the article Dr. Hankins states "...we must adhere to the laws based on out legal counsel's guidance..", which probably insures that ASU does not change course and reinstate the cross on the helmet.

In the article Dr. Hankins  said "the university encourages people to express their beliefs in anyway they deem appropriate".

There is a effort under way to make t-shirts with the cross available for the game by at least one  local businesses.

This issue has really galvanized the ASU fan base in a community noted for  having a bank or church on every corner.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 13, 2014, 09:12:53 am
In todays edition of the Jonesboro Sun, Jeff Hankins, Arkansas States University System vice president for strategic communications and economic development, stated that despite "offers of free representation by groups on  both sides of the issue" the university has not taken any further action.

In the article Dr. Hankins states "...we must adhere to the laws based on out legal counsel's guidance..", which probably insures that ASU does not change course and reinstate the cross on the helmet.

In the article Dr. Hankins  said "the university encourages people to express their beliefs in anyway they deem appropriate".

There is a effort under way to make t-shirts with the cross available for the game by at least one  local businesses.

This issue has really galvanized the ASU fan base in a community noted for the number for having a bank or church on every corner.

Jeff Hankins has a doctorate?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2014, 09:29:09 am
Jeff Hankins has a doctorate?
Now that you ask I'm not sure, and they did not refer to him as Dr. in the article.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 13, 2014, 09:51:27 am
Now that you ask I'm not sure, and they did not refer to him as Dr. in the article.

He isn't, but his wife is, haha.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on September 12, 2014, 10:16:00 am
And a lot of folks think that those two things shouldn't happen either.

There is legal precedent that keeps those acts happening.

I assume you believe that had those ASU students chose individually to use the crosses they would be in the wrong?

Individual acts are beyond the scope of the government.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 11, 2014, 05:41:29 pm
That may be true but it still won't stop the haters from hating. But as long as Holy Cross receives NO financial help from the government there isn't a damn thing the anti-religious nuts can do to them.

One thing worse than an anti-religious nut is a religious nut..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 11, 2014, 10:44:59 pm
I didn't question your faith.  I have no doubt that you fully believe in whatever it is you believe in.    Based on your post history.......the crazy liberal views you spew on here.......it's not the Holy Bible you fully believe in.   

I questioned your Christianity.....not your faith.   

Just because someone posts things you believe are liberal doesn't make them any less a christian than others.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

September 15, 2014, 02:35:33 pm #65 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:36:50 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 15, 2014, 01:11:22 pm
Just because someone posts things you believe are liberal doesn't make them any less a christian than others.
Jesus warned is followers that he, and they, would be persecuted by two groups in particular, the rich and powerful in this world, and the religious establishment they supported. Still a warning I would advise people to take seriously today, or  pay a very high price for not doing so(if they have not already).

Pretty sure they viewed Jesus as an 'anti-establishment, bleeding-heart liberal', and his views on money, how to make it and what to do with it, would get him crucified today.........at least in the press(would love to see Him interviewed on Fox News).

Here is a nice piece shown on Fox News about the cross on the helmet:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3783307913001/college-football-team-forced-to-removed-cross-from-helmets/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips

waphill

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on September 11, 2014, 03:04:57 pm
How do you know they are not?  Did you talk to them?  Did a non-Christian tell you this?  Have you ever held religious beliefs that are different than everyone in your family and 99% of everyone you know?

I find it hard to believe that non-Christians are being persecuted in Jonesboro, AR. Also, find it hard to believe that Jonesboro is 99% Christian. I have no data to back up these assumptions.

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on September 11, 2014, 10:27:39 pm
Husband, son, and Christian are top 3.  Hopefully father will be there soon.

Good luck to you. I will be a father in about 3 months, and am super excited.

Sivad

Surprised anybody noticed anything on the back of an ASU helmet.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 13, 2014, 09:12:53 am

This issue has really galvanized the ASU fan base in a community noted for  having a bank or church on every corner.

Guess that's one way for ASU to finally sell some tickets...turn a football game into a tent revival.

Seminole Indian

September 18, 2014, 03:07:57 pm #69 Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:20:47 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 18, 2014, 01:53:13 pm
Guess that's one way for ASU to finally sell some tickets...turn a football game into a tent revival.
Might happen but that was not the intent of the cross, it was at attempt by the players to honor to young men that tragically lost their lives.

To bad it has turned into something else, but I have no problems with people on either side of the issue expressing how they feel as long as it is done so in a peaceful  manner, that is respectful of the other sides rights.

The A-State players at least got to wear the cross, and show their respect for the young men  for two games, and their families appreciated it.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 11, 2014, 08:09:10 am
That Freedom from Religion folks are a bunch of NUTS!

and the LBGT community as well
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."