Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taking an objective cut at the T-Tech-Arkansas matchups

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 10, 2014, 03:25:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

September 10, 2014, 03:25:49 pm Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:41:14 pm by Biggus Piggus
Kliff Kingsbury ran an offense at Texas A&M that got a Heisman for Johnny Manziel. At Texas Tech, Kingsbury has a 6-5 pocket passer running a potentially dangerous offense.

Texas Tech has speed and quickness at wide receiver, with a number of options that Arkansas doesn't know well. Kingsbury uses a scheme designed to murder zone pass coverages and go over the top of man-to-man.

Tech's main problems in the passing game last year were interceptions and sacks. In the running game, the Red Raiders lacked speed and quickness.

Season to date, T-Tech has a preposterous yards-per-carry average, with three backs over 5 ypc, and has allowed no sacks. The interception story is unclear (one good game, one not). Whether the Red Raiders will be able to run against better than poor competition is to be determined. The most interesting running back they have, third-string freshman Justin Stockton, typifies this football team. Texas Tech is eat up with smallish kids with lots of quicks, in an offense designed to give them room to run.

Texas Tech's coaches have some decisions to make about their offensive line. I'm guessing guard Baylen Brown is going to have problems with Arkansas noseguard Taiwan Johnson. They have a juco they like, but he isn't much at pass protection yet.

Every Tech-side story I've read, though, assumes that the Red Raiders' Oline is better than the Hogs' Dline. Arkansas also has some uncertainties in its player rotation. DE Deatrich Wise has not been a factor so far because of a preseason injury. Wise clearly was expected to be a difference-maker.

When coaches say Wise is "ready" for the road trip to Lubbock, that tells us nothing about how close he is to 100%. Another DE who was on the rise was Brandon Lewis, and he is not in the plans now due to a knee injury. Backup NT Bijhon Jackson might be getting over his freshman willies, but who knows what to expect from him. It might be good to see more time from junior Grady Ollison, who got some good time against Nicholls. We all have big expectations from DT Darius Philon, who needs to show the Red Raiders how hard he is to block. Star DE Trey Flowers - this game was made for him. Tech knows he is coming, but they do not have a tight end or fullback to help the protection.

T-Tech's Oline starters lean to mobility over size - LT Le'Raven Clark (6-6, 313 jr, 28 starts), LG Alfredo Morales (6-4, 308 jr, 14 starts), C Jared Kaster (6-3, 285 jr, 15 starts), RG Baylen Brown (6-4, 293 so, 4 starts), RT Reshod Fortenberry (6-5, 286 sr, 15 starts). The great-big-huge question is whether these guys can stop the Razorback pass rush, the quality of which is highly uncertain. If Wise is close to normal, he could make a difference. JaMichael Winston and Tevin Beanum have filled in, but they have combined for zero sacks and 1.5 lost yardage tackles.

The questions are equally large in the back seven. We don't have to get specific. Buried in the Nicholls stats was their first drive of the second half -- nine plays, 75 yards, 5-5 passing and a 22-yard run by a tailback on our side of the 50. This was against Arkansas's first-team defense. It was the first effective possession after 10 stops, so who knows what to think.

Starting against Nicholls - DEs Winston and Flowers, DT Philon, NG Johnson, LBs Mitchell, Ellis and Spaight, CBs Washington and Collins, FS Turner, SS Gaines. This group was mostly intact for Nicholls' first six possessions, which netted -5 yards. When more subs came in for the second quarter, Nicholls gained 46 yards. Playmakers in the second quarter included freshmen CB Henre' Toliver, DE Anthony Brown, and S Josh Liddell, as well as the regular starters.

Nicholls was awful. The true Arkansas defense resides somewhere between Nicholls' 3.4 yards per offensive play and Auburn's 8.5. Texas Tech did 7.7 against two opponents of dubious quality. What is Arkansas's quality?

It's impossible to get a peg on the Red Raiders' defense. Their plan is to rotate quick veteran Jackson Richards and huge Rika Levi at nose tackle in their 3-4 defense. Both players missed a lot of time with injuries in the first two games. If they are ready to play, T-Tech might have some answers for Arkansas's power. One way or another, though, limited depth and flexibility is going to show in Tech's Dline rotation.

Similarly at linebacker - starters are OK, second line really falls off, almost nothing beyond that.

Same story in the secondary. It is built for pass coverage. The Texas Tech plan for Arkansas is to ask corners Justis Nelson (6-2, 177 so) and Tevin Madison (5-10, 160 fr) to cover the Hogs' receivers one on one while eight or nine focus on the run. Not dealing with great size at safety either - J.J. Gaines (6-0, 185 jr) and Keenon Ward (5-9, 195 so).

The Red Raiders will aim to get the Hogs into third and long, where they expect to fare well and view Arkansas's pass threat as minor. There's practically nobody on the Tech defense built to cover a tight end. If Brandon Allen cannot complete passes against this defense, it'll be because the passes are going to the wrong places.

On the injury front, Jonathan Williams was not full speed last weekend, and Korliss Marshall sat out. Perhaps Alex Collins would be enough, but the Hogs really need their full complement of backs. Also need Marshall in the return game. It's likely that returns will play a role in the outcome of this one. Texas Tech can play its frontline players on special teams - and wear them down faster. Kingsbury doesn't have great depth to work with. Something has to give.

Bottom line - Arkansas should win this road game on talent, but there's the part about knowing how to win, how to take a punch and keep going. Texas Tech can throw punches in a hurry. There's also the part about whether both teams will have all their key players, or if injuries could be a swing factor. We want to believe the Razorbacks have the confidence to win. My thought is the direction of the game will be decided in the first quarter when both teams get a feel for the personnel matchups. Very well could be a furious battle as both teams exploit the other's fatal flaws. That is our real question about the Hogs, isn't it. How bad are the weaknesses?
[CENSORED]!

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Stanleyxy

Good read. I do want to point out that we do sometimes use a fullback - Rodney Hall (5'9", 236 on the roster but might be heavier now) in some of our sets. Not sure if he will get used much against Arkansas or anything, just wanted to point out that he is there.

scruf

We could win this one on depth alone. After watching Tech against UTEP, they are paper thin, literally and figuratively. This will be a war of attrition that the Raiders are not equipped to handle.

scruf

Quote from: Stanleyxy on September 10, 2014, 03:34:51 pm
Good read. I do want to point out that we do sometimes use a fullback - Rodney Hall (5'9", 236 on the roster but might be heavier now) in some of our sets. Not sure if he will get used much against Arkansas or anything, just wanted to point out that he is there.

It won't matter. Tech still loses this game 10 out of 10 times.

Poker_hog

Nice post. 

I have no idea what to expect when TT is on offense.  We might hold them to 17, or they might hang 40 on us.

I feel like we will score a lot.  The key is staying out of obvious passing situations.  BA is good off of play action.  He has yet to prove he can complete big pasess on obvious passing situations.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Biggus Piggus

Coaching decisions + strategy could be important too, especially if one coaching staff decides it cannot win straight up and must take unusual risks to have a chance.

I wonder whether any kind of tension has built between Bret Bielema and Jim Chaney. It was clear, after a couple of games last season and post-Auburn, that Bielema disliked how Chaney abandoned the run and made the offense throw-throw, even against an all-out pass rush. Bielema's attitude is not anti-pass; it's "run what you can execute."

At Texas Tech, if the Hogs get all pass-happy again, Bielema might break the press box elevator all by himself.
[CENSORED]!

MJ2

If we stick to our apparent strengths - running the ball and throwing only on occassion, we'll win a close one.   But, I think we will get away from our strengths and lose 34-31.

Pig In The City

Good post. Learning how to withstand momentum shifts are key. If TT hits us in the jaw, will it be glass? Looking for team to grow up a little on Saturday.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MJ2 on September 10, 2014, 04:01:16 pm
If we stick to our apparent strengths - running the ball and throwing only on occassion, we'll win a close one.   But, I think our we will get away from our strengths and lose 34-31.

IMHO that outcome would require Texas Tech to be vastly better in run defense than it has been in years. Unless of course Chaney looks at the 11-man front and freaks.

One thing I left out.

Last August, Texas Tech's starting quarterback was Michael Brewer.

Then it was Baker Mayfield.

Next, Davis Webb, when Mayfield got hurt.

Then Mayfield, when Webb was injured.

And Brewer again. Well, coaches at least hoped he would be ready for the Holiday Bowl, after he finished the final regular-season game.

Finally, Webb.

Mayfield and Brewer transferred out, leaving Webb as the only choice in 2014.

Through two games against questionable competition, Webb's QBR is 63.0, which rates 54th in FBS.

Heck, Brandon Allen is 30th, 72.5. Brewer, at Virginia Tech, is 27th.

Webb's basic statistics look fine. Completed 68% for 730 yards, 7 TD / 2 INT. We have plenty of reason, though, to wonder what he'll bring in a game like this.
[CENSORED]!

Bacon_Bitz

This is great. 

All the TTU boards think their O-line matches up favorably against our D-line?  Where do they get that from?

And it really does look like there's not a single person on their defense that can cover our TE's.

Stanleyxy

Last year's QB carousel really wore us out as a fanbase. Webb did emerge as the best QB of the group and was playing with confidence at the end of the season against Arizona State. Unfortunately it looks like the time off has caused him to get his freshman jitters back. Hopefully he finds his groove again and stops looking like a freshman trying to do too much. If he doesn't settle down we are going to lose on Saturday.

Our new backup, Patrick Mahomes, is very talented and could come in if Webb went down, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to win the game. I will say that there is a chance Kingsbury throws Mahomes in on a series just to throw off the Arkansas defense. Mahomes is more of a dual threat than Webb is and could really hurt the hogs with his feet if they don't respect the QB run enough. Small chance, but its there.

ttuadvisor

Really good post.  You seemed very informed on Texas Tech's team.

How are Arkansas' nickel backs and safeties this season?  So far this season Texas Tech has leaned heavily on their inside WR's Bradley Marquez and Jakeem Grant.  Grant had 150 yards receiving vs. UTEP and Marquez has scored on 5 of his last 7 receptions.

Should be the key matchup when Texas Tech is on offense.     

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ttuadvisor on September 10, 2014, 04:58:30 pm
How are Arkansas' nickel backs and safeties this season?     

Yikes. Pretty good at reading license plates, actually. FS Alan Turner (5-11, 210 sr) is pretty decent against a balanced or run-heavy offense. He is not exactly a good coverage guy. Led the team in tackles last season after beginning the season on the bench. A lot of those tackles were way downfield.

SS Rohan Gaines (5-11, 195 jr) has been injury-plagued through his college career and is just now trying to get back to full speed. He has not been highly productive.

Behind them are redshirt freshman De'Andre Coley (6-1, 202) and freshman Josh Liddell (6-1, 204), who are faster with better upside potential. Just young. They will play. If healthy, Sleepy McKinney (6-1, 210 jr) will play some safety. Came in as a receiver, is an OK safety.

The nickel back is a question. At times, the third corner has been D.J. Dean (5-11, 200 so) or Henre' Toliver (6-1, 186 fr). Hogs can go with TQ Coleman (5-10, 205 sr), but he is more of a strong safety type. A wild card possibility is senior corner Tevin Mitchel (6-0, 190), who has been down with a hammie but was listed as possible today by Coach Bielema.

Dean, from Newton, Texas, is pretty good at times, nice INT last weekend. He also is the Hogs' punt returner. Toliver was a big surprise in preseason, coming on fast, good height and speed.

You can see lots of youth in the secondary depth chart.

Auburn completed 73% on the Hogs for 293 yards and two TDs. Just 22 passes attempted. Their run threat is ever-present, and then they have two excellent, pro-caliber receivers. The Hogs got caught in single coverage, or with late help, too often.
[CENSORED]!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2014, 04:39:22 pm

Through two games against questionable competition, Webb's QBR is 63.0, which rates 54th in FBS.

Heck, Brandon Allen is 30th, 72.5. Brewer, at Virginia Tech, is 27th.

B.A. is 11th in passing efficiency with a rating of 187.7; Webb is 20th at 164.4 and Brewer is nowhere to be found among the top 50.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 10, 2014, 05:37:10 pm
B.A. is 11th in passing efficiency with a rating of 187.7; Webb is 20th at 164.4 and Brewer is nowhere to be found among the top 50.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

QBR is ESPN's stat, which is adjusted for strength of competition. On straight stats, Webb looks just fine.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

The scheme kicks in when we consider the insider WRs. It forces UA to go deep at their second thinnest position, CB. It may not be as bad a disadvantage as the Tech secondary chasing down UA TEs.

UA has not shown a passing game between the hashes. With the smaller-than-SEC DBs at Tech can UA exploit the middle of the field? When will UA get around to RBs out of the backfield as an option, or are they glorified, mini-OL designed to keep BA upright?

UA has played three lights out halves of offensive football. That hasn't happened since 2011. An ordinary defense may have to pick a poison, but it would be a surprise if UA doesn't face a stacked box and try to man-up on that challenge before other options are explored. Like Biggus, I picture CBB busting a lugnut if Chaney does anything but impose UA's will on the LOS over the length of the game. That doesn't equate with abandoning the pass, just using the ever-present threat of running for first downs to make passing options more viable.

Of interest, is Peavey imitating Webb on the scout team this week? I wonder if we have the skills to adequately imitate.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ldfergu

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2014, 03:25:49 pm
Kliff Kingsbury ran an offense at Texas A&M that got a Heisman for Johnny Manziel. At Texas Tech, Kingsbury has a 6-5 pocket passer running a potentially dangerous offense.

Kevin Sumlin ran that offense, Kliff sat back and took notes

Biggus Piggus

If I were Tech, I'd force the Hogs to pull in the tight end for pass protection when Arkansas goes to a pass set. Against Auburn, Arkansas kept the tight ends in out of necessity, most of the time.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Objectively speaking, it's Arkansas's game to lose. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig Worshipper

Nice read, as always. I have to admit, except for Flowers, I've been a bit disappointed in our D-Line so far. I know they've had some injuries but I'm hoping they'll be a bit more active against T-Tech.

Now, I know that we are trying to run a more aggressive style of defense than previous years. I wonder if Coach Smith will dial up a little bit more in the blitz department this week to make sure Tech's quarterback is uncomfortable?

I do believe the Hogs will win in Lubbock on Saturday.

ldfergu

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 10, 2014, 06:01:28 pm
Nice read, as always. I have to admit, except for Flowers, I've been a bit disappointed in our D-Line so far. I know they've had some injuries but I'm hoping they'll be a bit more active against T-Tech.

Now, I know that we are trying to run a more aggressive style of defense than previous years. I wonder if Coach Smith will dial up a little bit more in the blitz department this week to make sure Tech's quarterback is uncomfortable?

I do believe the Hogs will win in Lubbock on Saturday.

Over the course of the year, I believe you'll see an improved unit as a whole.  Your sample size for now is basically Auburn and they just have an offensive attack that wears defenses down.  I think everyone's main concern is the secondary.  Im hopeful they will show improvement against TTU.  We'll see

elksnort

If the Hogs take care of the football on offense and tackle well in space they will win.

alwaysnextyear

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 10, 2014, 05:47:10 pm
Kevin Sumlin ran that offense, Kliff sat back and took notes
I hope his notes were as lousy as mine were in college.

The Boar War

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2014, 03:55:36 pm

I wonder whether any kind of tension has built between Bret Bielema and Jim Chaney. It was clear, after a couple of games last season and post-Auburn, that Bielema disliked how Chaney abandoned the run and made the offense throw-throw, even against an all-out pass rush. Bielema's attitude is not anti-pass; it's "run what you can execute."

At Texas Tech, if the Hogs get all pass-happy again, Bielema might break the press box elevator all by himself.

Good post.  I think Chaney is on a short leash.  Not because of the plays that he calls but because he tends to go away from (what the head coach wants) the overall offensive identity of the team.

LZH

Maybe it's because I'm so used to watching the LSU's and Alabama's of college football here in SEC territory, but Tech just doesn't have any sense of urgency whatsoever.....and that includes the UCA game, too.  Watch their body language between plays, there's just no 'snap' in their step.

KCHOGFAN

Biggus Piggus

Not so good news on Deatrich Wise. Coaches yesterday guessed Wise was about 80% recovered from his August injury. Experience suggests that 80% means Wise is noticeably limited. Who knows how anyone comes up with a percentage to estimate a player's degree of recovery from injury. My guess is that most of these are overly optimistic (for the opponent's consumption), and 80% isn't good.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

On the bright side, Arkansas's defensive staff said the team has more defensive backs ready to play than they had for Auburn + expect improved performance. Includes Coley, Liddell, Toliver and fellow freshman Cornelius Floyd.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2014, 03:25:49 pm
Arkansas should win this road game on talent, but there's the part about knowing how to win, how to take a punch and keep going.

This is the only part that scares me a little bit.  I think we have more than enough talent to win this game and win by a comfortable margin.  I saw us go in and pile up a 24-7 lead last season on a Rutgers team that I think might beat THIS Texas Tech team.  And, that was with Derby at QB.  Then, I also saw us completely colapse in the last (basically) quarter of the game and lose 28-24.  As I said in another thread, if we build a 24-7 lead against this team, I think we blow them out with this year's team against this Texas Tech team.

DeltaBoy

Good Analysis  I expect it to be tight at the half and the Hogs pull away in the 2nd half.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 11, 2014, 08:28:34 am
Not so good news on Deatrich Wise. Coaches yesterday guessed Wise was about 80% recovered from his August injury. Experience suggests that 80% means Wise is noticeably limited. Who knows how anyone comes up with a percentage to estimate a player's degree of recovery from injury. My guess is that most of these are overly optimistic (for the opponent's consumption), and 80% isn't good.

Yeah, this isn't good.  We need him to get to 100%.  It might not hurt AS MUCH against Texas Tech, but against SEC teams, we need him to be at full strength.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 11, 2014, 08:43:59 am
Yeah, this isn't good.  We need him to get to 100%.  It might not hurt AS MUCH against Texas Tech, but against SEC teams, we need him to be at full strength.

Wrong Answer Hogfather, Arkansas OL and DL Are Just Fine. Hogs Problems Come At Other Positions.

Biggus Piggus

Last week's defensive line rotation for Texas Tech...

Starters

DE Branden Jackson (6-4, 270 jr from McKeesport, Pa., 15 career starts)
NT Keland McElrath - shifted to DT at times (6-4, 312 jr from Coahoma CC in Mississippi, originally from Ripley, Tenn.)
DT Demetrius Alston (6-3, 267 jr from Norcross, Ga., via Hutchinson CC - second season at T-Tech)

Reserves

DE Donte Phillips (6-2, 280 jr from Milwaukee)
DE Gary Moore (6-5, 226 redshirt freshman from Clarksville, Texas - convert from TE) - injured in the game
DT Brandon Thorpe (6-3, 277 jr from Highland, Ks. CC, and Tucker, Ga.) - brother Neiko is a corner for the Oakland Raiders
NT Marcus Smith (6-3, 310 jr from Highland CC and Wadesboro, NC)
NT Anthony Smith (6-0, 331 so from Houston)

Returning to the lineup this week...

NT Jackson Richards (6-4, 270 sr from Southlake Carroll, 21 career starts)
NT Rika Levi (6-2, 367 jr from the College of San Mateo, Ca.)

A quote from the Red Raiders' Donte Phillips:

"They have big guys, but they are not necessarily the quickest so we can take advantage of that and really surprise them and punch them in the mouth."

It's remarkable that Texas Tech rotated eight players among three spots against UTEP. Their coaches said that keeping players fresh enabled the defense to stop UTEP's last possession, which began near Tech's 30 after a kickoff return and penalty.

Arkansas has a great chance of exploiting this mad rotation of a motley assortment of players. The Hogs are going to show some new things this week. Texas Tech is playing a lot of linemen who have very little experience. Tech's hoping to shoot gaps and disrupt run plays. These guys are not experienced enough to know when they're being baited.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

The D needs to play 4 quarters of bend but don't Break FB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

Quote from: scruf on September 10, 2014, 03:38:01 pm
We could win this one on depth alone. After watching Tech against UTEP, they are paper thin, literally and figuratively. This will be a war of attrition that the Raiders are not equipped to handle.
Unless we turn it over, throw pick sixes and commit stupid penalties...which we did on every road game last year.  Something about road games and young men...make their brains go to jello.  Could have something to do with TT at El Paso last week.  Just saying....don't underestimate a team at home when a SEC opponent comes to town...that place will be rocking...will we handle it well??  We will see.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

three hog night

Quote from: ttuadvisor on September 10, 2014, 04:58:30 pm
Really good post.  You seemed very informed on Texas Tech's team.

How are Arkansas' nickel backs and safeties this season?  So far this season Texas Tech has leaned heavily on their inside WR's Bradley Marquez and Jakeem Grant.  Grant had 150 yards receiving vs. UTEP and Marquez has scored on 5 of his last 7 receptions.

Should be the key matchup when Texas Tech is on offense.   

TT appears to focus on the 2 outside WR's as blockers for the 2 inside WRs.  Who will be more physical- Hog CB's or TT outside WR's?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Auburn

Hogs win this game if BAllen reads the defense well and is able to hit Henry and Derby a lot on play action.  Those two should combine for 100+ yards and 3 TDs.

Hog D has got to stiffen up in the red zone, which I expect them to against TTu.

Grizzlyfan

Texas Tech has averaged 36 points in two games against Texas El-Paso and the UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS.  On it's worst day the Arkansas defense is 10 points better than either of those teams.  Kingsbury's reputation, and the ghost of Mike Leach, is causing the Tech offense to be vastly over-rated.

code red

Quote from: Auburn on September 11, 2014, 09:35:45 am
Hogs win this game if BAllen reads the defense well and is able to hit Henry and Derby a lot on play action.  Those two should combine for 100+ yards and 3 TDs.

Hog D has got to stiffen up in the red zone, which I expect them to against TTu.
I would have to agree TT knows they can score on the Hogs.  They will try to cut the head off our run game and make Allen beat them...I truely believe that is the plan.  Which...ultimately if the RB can get past 2nd level they are gone!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

three hog night

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 11, 2014, 09:02:34 am
Last week's defensive line rotation for Texas Tech...

Starters

DE Branden Jackson (6-4, 270 jr from McKeesport, Pa., 15 career starts)
NT Keland McElrath - shifted to DT at times (6-4, 312 jr from Coahoma CC in Mississippi, originally from Ripley, Tenn.)
DT Demetrius Alston (6-3, 267 jr from Norcross, Ga., via Hutchinson CC - second season at T-Tech)

Reserves

DE Donte Phillips (6-2, 280 jr from Milwaukee)
DE Gary Moore (6-5, 226 redshirt freshman from Clarksville, Texas - convert from TE) - injured in the game
DT Brandon Thorpe (6-3, 277 jr from Highland, Ks. CC, and Tucker, Ga.) - brother Neiko is a corner for the Oakland Raiders
NT Marcus Smith (6-3, 310 jr from Highland CC and Wadesboro, NC)
NT Anthony Smith (6-0, 331 so from Houston)

Returning to the lineup this week...

NT Jackson Richards (6-4, 270 sr from Southlake Carroll, 21 career starts)
NT Rika Levi (6-2, 367 jr from the College of San Mateo, Ca.)

A quote from the Red Raiders' Donte Phillips:

"They have big guys, but they are not necessarily the quickest so we can take advantage of that and really surprise them and punch them in the mouth."

It's remarkable that Texas Tech rotated eight players among three spots against UTEP. Their coaches said that keeping players fresh enabled the defense to stop UTEP's last possession, which began near Tech's 30 after a kickoff return and penalty.

Arkansas has a great chance of exploiting this mad rotation of a motley assortment of players. The Hogs are going to show some new things this week. Texas Tech is playing a lot of linemen who have very little experience. Tech's hoping to shoot gaps and disrupt run plays. These guys are not experienced enough to know when they're being baited.

Great detail and info.  Good job
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 11, 2014, 09:38:21 am
Texas Tech has averaged 36 points in two games against Texas El-Paso and the UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS.  On it's worst day the Arkansas defense is 10 points better than either of those teams.  Kingsbury's reputation, and the ghost of Mike Leach, is causing the Tech offense to be vastly over-rated.

Yeah, well, Tech certainly did not game-plan for those two the way they have done for Arkansas.
[CENSORED]!

chitwnhog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 10, 2014, 06:07:28 pm
Over the course of the year, I believe you'll see an improved unit as a whole.  Your sample size for now is basically Auburn and they just have an offensive attack that wears defenses down.  I think everyone's main concern is the secondary.  Im hopeful they will show improvement against TTU.  We'll see

The last thing Smith needs to do against Tech is blitz....their whole offense is set up to take advantage of blitzing defense.

chitwnhog

Quote from: code red on September 11, 2014, 09:39:20 am
I would have to agree TT knows they can score on the Hogs.  They will try to cut the head off our run game and make Allen beat them...I truely believe that is the plan.  Which...ultimately if the RB can get past 2nd level they are gone!!!

And this is a situation where Korliss can look McFaddenesque. He gone!

hawgtime

Quote from: The Boar War on September 10, 2014, 06:30:40 pm
Good post.  I think Chaney is on a short leash.  Not because of the plays that he calls but because he tends to go away from (what the head coach wants) the overall offensive identity of the team.

hate that. remember the last time we had a decent OC on a short leash?  (now the head coach at Auburn)

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 11, 2014, 09:40:27 am
Yeah, well, Tech certainly did not game-plan for those two the way they have done for Arkansas.
That may be the most over-used catch phrase in sports.  I'm sure Tech wanted to be taken to the fourth quarter by UCA

hogcard1964

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 11, 2014, 09:40:27 am

8 or 9 up front with 2 corners?

I would think BB also realizes this.