Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Nutt to SMU

Started by razorjack12, September 10, 2014, 05:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Quote from: 1highhog on September 10, 2014, 07:08:26 am
Brando has always been in Nutts jock, don't understand why.

That makes sense. I don't think Brando has any Nutts in his jock.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

CallThemHawgs!

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 10, 2014, 08:01:47 am
I expect Nutt to land at SMU or Vandy next year.

Vandy won't fire Mason after one year.  If he leaves on his own, they will likely hire a minority.

SpanHog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 10, 2014, 08:13:42 am
Recognizing sarcasm is a requisite for this board.
I figured it was, which is why I responded sarcasm with sarcasm.
proud graduate of the U of A 2013

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 07:29:12 am
Some point out what he did to Mitch Mustain. Robert Johnson is a better example.
Anybody who saw that kid in HS will tell you that he was an outstanding college prospect.

He had an arm, could really zing the football. By the time Nutt got through with him he had trouble completing a 10 yard pass.

How did that happen? Because Nutt never displayed the least bit of confidence in the kid. Nutt said things like, He doesn't have to be a star. He just needs to drive the bus.

How do you think that made him feel? His coach is making public statements comparing him to a bus driver.

The last time I heard anything about Robert Johnson he was struggling trying to find a career. Most QBs in that situation turn to their ex head coach. Robert probably wasn't interested having Nutt suggest that he become a bus driver.

Not defending Nutt but bus driver is simply another term for game manager.   

SpanHog

Quote from: TMc on September 10, 2014, 08:31:42 am
Just my opinion.., but I don't see Nutt going to Vandy to get beat up every week in the SEC.
he sure got his ass handed to him the last two years at Oxford.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: SpanHog on September 10, 2014, 08:41:57 am
he sure got his ass handed to him the last two years at Oxford.

Vandy's about to eat a huge losing streak.  Considering Nutt's last losing streak in the SEC, I'm pretty sure he'll be an extremely unattractive candidate.  Plus, when you consider Vandy's campus culture, hiring Nutt would be like the Dores hiring Jethro Bodeen.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

LZH

Quote from: IntegrityHog on September 10, 2014, 08:27:02 am
He couldn't be our coach if he was at SMU.  Same with succeeding Long as AD - if he's tied up in Dallas (hopefully with a non-compete clause), we don't have to worry about him taking over for Jeff once he gets promoted.

I don't think that would ever be a problem.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: LRRandy on September 10, 2014, 08:22:47 am
your kidding right. Turning an analogy about being a bus driver/game manager into an accusation that is was meant literally. Your nutt butt hurt is shining through.
Not interested in your assessment of what Nutt meant. Yes, that whole "bus driver" think got into Robert Johnson's head. Nutt did the same thing to Jevan Snead at Ole Miss. Like RoJo Snead went downhill at Ole Miss.

Ask virtually anybody who played QB for Nutt and they will tell you that they rarely knew where they stood with him. When a coach makes public statements criticizing his QB but almost never praises him publicly that QB will regress. Saw it happen many times.

hogsanity

Lots of QB's get recruited every year, to all schools, and for whatever reason, a majority of them never pan out.  If telling a guy he does not have to a star, just take care of the offense, cause a guy to struggle, I have to wonder if telling him ANYTHING would not have had the same result.  Imagine had he been told " Man, you have to carry the team, you have to be the man ", what would have happened, especially in an offense not designed for the the QB to be the focus.

Look at how many QBs have transferred out of big time programs.  At one point either last season or the season before, on one Saturday, there were 4 or 5 qbs starting games that had at one time been enrolled at Notre Dame.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 10, 2014, 08:39:50 am

Not in Nutt's vocabulary. With Nutt it meant you don't bring much to the table so I need you to get the ball to other players and that's it. The problem with that thinking is obvious. No matter how good a running game is there are times when you have to throw it.

In 2005 against Auburn I saw Tom Tuberville load the box to stop D-Mac and Felix. Nutt sent in a screen pass from RoJo to Hillis. It was a simple pass, not more than 5 yards. The high school QB who could throw the ball all over the yard bounced that 5 yard pass at Hillis' feet.

Find Robert Johnson and ask him how he felt about those bus driver comments.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2014, 08:54:14 am
Lots of QB's get recruited every year, to all schools, and for whatever reason, a majority of them never pan out.  If telling a guy he does not have to a star, just take care of the offense, cause a guy to struggle, I have to wonder if telling him ANYTHING would not have had the same result.  Imagine had he been told " Man, you have to carry the team, you have to be the man ", what would have happened, especially in an offense not designed for the the QB to be the focus.

Look at how many QBs have transferred out of big time programs.  At one point either last season or the season before, on one Saturday, there were 4 or 5 qbs starting games that had at one time been enrolled at Notre Dame.
You really don't have a clue. You weren't around Nutt's QBs. You never talked to them.

I'm telling you that I saw video of Robert Johnson in high school. Not a highlight tape. The entire game. The Robert Johnson that got benched in the 4t quarter of the USC game never to play QB again didn't resemble the kid I saw in HS.

His confidence was totally destroyed.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 08:58:43 am
Not in Nutt's vocabulary. With Nutt it meant you don't bring much to the table so I need you to get the ball to other players and that's it. The problem with that thinking is obvious. No matter how good a running game is there are times when you have to throw it.

In 2005 against Auburn I saw Tom Tuberville load the box to stop D-Mac and Felix. Nutt sent in a screen pass from RoJo to Hillis. It was a simple pass, not more than 5 yards. The high school QB who could throw the ball all over the yard bounced that 5 yard pass at Hillis' feet.

Find Robert Johnson and ask him how he felt about those bus driver comments.

If those comments from almost ten years ago have impacted Johnson establishing a job/career, I'd say that's on him. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 10, 2014, 09:07:20 am
If those comments from almost ten years ago have impacted Johnson establishing a job/career, I'd say that's on him.
I'd say you don't know Robert Johnson and you don't have a clue what his four years at Arkansas were like. Also those comments were the tip of the iceberg with regard to his troubled relationship with Nutt.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 09:03:23 am
You really don't have a clue. You weren't around Nutt's QBs. You never talked to them.

I'm telling you that I saw video of Robert Johnson in high school. Not a highlight tape. The entire game. The Robert Johnson that got benched in the 4t quarter of the USC game never to play QB again didn't resemble the kid I saw in HS.

His confidence was totally destroyed.

No, I never have talked to RJ, but I have seen and heard about lots of HS Qb's that were going to be the next super star ( not just at Ar, but around the country ) and they never pan out, for a plethora of reasons.  Confidence, injury, can't adjust to the college game, coach leaves and the new guy runs a different style, someone better comes along, homesick, and who knows why else.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRRandy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 08:48:17 am
Not interested in your assessment of what Nutt meant. Yes, that whole "bus driver" think got into Robert Johnson's head. Nutt did the same thing to Jevan Snead at Ole Miss. Like RoJo Snead went downhill at Ole Miss.

Ask virtually anybody who played QB for Nutt and they will tell you that they rarely knew where they stood with him. When a coach makes public statements criticizing his QB but almost never praises him publicly that QB will regress. Saw it happen many times.
i will defer to your knowledge and inside insight. As I read the comment I thought of how other coaches used the term bus driver in the same context as  game manager. That is why I thought your comment was a little less than genuine.
This is fun, isn't it.

Jackrabbit Hog

If you think about it, aside from Clint Stoerner (who was already here when Nutt got hired), we did not begin a single season with a firmly entrenced #1 QB.  Even with Matt Jones, Nutt was always trying to find someone else (Clark, Jackson, Sorahan, etc.). 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2014, 09:14:09 am
No, I never have talked to RJ, but I have seen and heard about lots of HS Qb's that were going to be the next super star ( not just at Ar, but around the country ) and they never pan out, for a plethora of reasons.  Confidence, injury, can't adjust to the college game, coach leaves and the new guy runs a different style, someone better comes along, homesick, and who knows why else.   
You have heard? Heard from whom? I hear a lot of things. What people hear and reality are often very different.

I did not form these opinions based on what I heard through the rumor mill. I have spoken with dozens of former players under Nutt almost all of them starters. All of them pretty much tell the same story of a coach that had his favorites and treated them great. If you weren't in his club of "trustables," even if you were a starter, you had no clue where he was coming from. QBs were particularly susceptible to this.

Players care what their head coach thinks about them. The list of players who left Nutt's' program wondering what they did to make him treat them like a zero is a long one.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 09:13:17 am
I'd say you don't know Robert Johnson and you don't have a clue what his four years at Arkansas were like. Also those comments were the tip of the iceberg with regard to his troubled relationship with Nutt.

No, I don't know him but if comments from so long ago continue to impact his life, I hope he receives professional help.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRRandy on September 10, 2014, 08:22:47 am
your kidding right. Turning an analogy about being a bus driver/game manager into an accusation that is was meant literally. Your nutt butt hurt is shining through.

He's not butt hurt. He's telling the truth and you must not like it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 10, 2014, 08:39:50 am

Then nutty isn't even qualified to be a bus monitor!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 10, 2014, 08:44:21 am
Vandy's about to eat a huge losing streak.  Considering Nutt's last losing streak in the SEC, I'm pretty sure he'll be an extremely unattractive candidate.  Plus, when you consider Vandy's campus culture, hiring Nutt would be like the Dores hiring Jethro Bodeen.

Post of the day candidate.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 10, 2014, 10:58:06 am

Players care what their head coach thinks about them.

Mike you are 100% dead on accurate with that statement. That doesn't mean that the coach has to be or can't be known as a "players" coach. It also doesn't mean they can't be hard on a player either. The coach has to earn the respect of the players just like the players have to earn the respect of the coach both on and off the field. When both of those are present good things can happen.

hogsanity

You have heard? Heard from whom? I hear a lot of things. What people hear and reality are often very different.

every year at recruiting time college football fans are subjected to countless stories about the next can't miss QBs. 

Common logic would show you that is each fbs program signed one Qb each year that would be 500 over a rolling 4 yr span. Logic would further let you know that a small number of these signees are ever going to play much, if at all in college.

Now, are individual ones mishandled? Of course.  Was RJ?  I never said he wasn't.  My point is that many highly rated QBs never do much in college, and less heralded HS Qbs sometimes have very good college careers.

Alot of people were convinced Gary Brashears was going to be a college and NFL star.  What about all the QBs at Notre Dame the last two decades that were supposed to be all world?  QB is the equivalent of the hard throwing HS pitcher that just dominates everyone.  How many of them never make it past AA ball in the pros? 

SpanHog

as for SMU, why the hell not... it's an easy hire, Nutt doesn't have to do much for the minimum wage $$ he should be offered.  SMU is the football equivalent of getting your own Branson show.  Either way that program and with Nutt as a head coach will never be taken seriously again.

EastexHawg

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 10, 2014, 06:29:10 am
No way, he is going to hold out for the Vandy job next year.

Are you kidding?  He's going to be either the next AD or head coach at Arkansas.  Vandy my...

hogsanity

Quote from: SpanHog on September 10, 2014, 12:02:31 pm
as for SMU, why the hell not... it's an easy hire, Nutt doesn't have to do much for the minimum wage $$ he should be offered.  SMU is the football equivalent of getting your own Branson show.  Either way that program and with Nutt as a head coach will never be taken seriously again.

when was the last time SMU was taken seriously anyway?

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 10, 2014, 11:29:49 am
every year at recruiting time college football fans are subjected to countless stories about the next can't miss QBs. 

Common logic would show you that is each fbs program signed one Qb each year that would be 500 over a rolling 4 yr span. Logic would further let you know that a small number of these signees are ever going to play much, if at all in college.

Now, are individual ones mishandled? Of course.  Was RJ?  I never said he wasn't.  My point is that many highly rated QBs never do much in college, and less heralded HS Qbs sometimes have very good college careers.

Alot of people were convinced Gary Brashears was going to be a college and NFL star.  What about all the QBs at Notre Dame the last two decades that were supposed to be all world?  QB is the equivalent of the hard throwing HS pitcher that just dominates everyone.  How many of them never make it past AA ball in the pros?
great points. Very true.
This is fun, isn't it.

SpanHog

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 10, 2014, 08:44:21 am
THAT'S IT! For years I'm been trying to remember what celebrity Nutt reminded me of most. Of course it was Jethro Bodine! Thanks for helping me clear this up. Separated at birth?

"50 years"                                          "Double Naught Spy"

Justifiable Hogicide

SMU will look back fondly on their Death Penalty as the good times if they are stupid enough to bring in the Nutt Brothers.

shotgun7

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 10, 2014, 12:06:35 pm
Are you kidding?  He's going to be either the next AD or head coach at Arkansas.  Vandy my...

I was kidding, I don't think Vandy would hire him #1 and even if they would I am not sure he is even desperate enough to take the job. They have went from barley fair to train wreck in a hurry!

They seem like a team that should be in the ACC, but they can probably take a beating every week and make more money in the SEC than even being competitive in the ACC. Not fact, just MHO.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Believe there has been some confusion on Nutt to the SMU job. There seems to be some truth to this, & some misinformation.

1.   Yes, there are unconfirmed reports that SMU is showing some interest in Houston Nutt.

2.   It is apparently not for the head coaching position.  SMU has evidently been impressed with how often Houston has used the term "bus driver,"  & that's exactly the position he would fill......he would fill up the bus with gas, & drive whenever needed.  Some observers say, that salary negotiations could be a problem.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

twistitup

I just got word that there is no interest in Nutt

Here is who your next SMU coach will be

http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205366779
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pigstie

I did not form these opinions based on what I heard through the rumor mill. I have spoken with dozens of former players under Nutt almost all of them starters. All of them pretty much tell the same story of a coach that had his favorites and treated them great. If you weren't in his club of "trustables," even if you were a starter, you had no clue where he was coming from. QBs were particularly susceptible to this.

Players care what their head coach thinks about them. The list of players who left Nutt's' program wondering what they did to make him treat them like a zero is a long one.
Mike I see that nutt moved from New Mexico to Dallas. Any idea why?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 10, 2014, 12:57:26 pm
THAT'S IT! For years I'm been trying to remember what celebrity Nutt reminded me of most. Of course it was Jethro Bodine! Thanks for helping me clear this up. Separated at birth?

Nailed it.
Retired Radio Host

SpanHog

LOL... +1

hogsanity

Quote from: SpanHog on September 11, 2014, 10:34:31 am
LOL... +1

And both have more money than 99.99% of Americans ever will.

twistitup

twistitup

DeltaBoy

Nutt might take the SMU job for Free !!! Lord Knows he got Millions from us and Ole Miss.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 11, 2014, 05:49:57 pm

So he'd be ready when SMU or the Cowboys called.

Yeah... looks like both those teams must have misplaced Houston's cell phone number ?
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

twistitup

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 11, 2014, 05:49:57 pm
So he'd be ready when SMU or the Cowboys called.

Paul Quinn College...maybe

Sivad

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 10, 2014, 09:06:34 am
Heck of a sales job by Nutt to get the gig "Hey, I won't have to move!"

"@RJHawk: Nutt: "If offered of the SMU job, I would take it because I live down in this area. It's a good job.""
No kidding. Surprised there hasn't been more national focus on that fabulously idiotic and unintentionally hilarious comment by Nutt.
You forget just how big a moron he is with him in coaching exile.

birmingHAMette

Thats an insult to Jethro Bodine. 

Go Hogs

DeltaBoy

Thus we Named NUTT the QB Killer!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Bahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This would be SOOOO great....
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07