Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do bosses

Started by AcornHunter, September 09, 2014, 07:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AcornHunter

truly boss?  All other factors influencing point of impact being consistent, will a boss tighten groups, especially the Browning boss?

kodiakisland

Yes, maybe,  but not using pot metal for a receiver works too.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

CallThemHawgs!

BOSS systems are not just designed to tighten groups.

Its designed for you to get consistent groups using a wide variety of ammo, if you dont have handloads, or your favorite ammo available.

The BOSS system tunes the barrel harmonics and alters the way the bullet leaves the barrel so you get the maximum accuracy for a wide variety of loads.

In short, hell yes it works. But most people dont have the time, willingness, or need to mess with it. Which is why it never really caught on.

AcornHunter

I thank you all for the input.  I like shooting rifles and I like reading and talking about rifles.  Yes, you do have to mess with it and it does take time, I found.

Three or four years ago I bought the Browning Safari in .270 Win.  I replaced the muzzle break with a conventional BOSS.

I settled on:

Hornady 130 gr. SST
56.1 gr. IMR 4831
Fed 210 primers
Hornady manual says 3000 ft.  I clocked a little over 2900 ft.

After much play the last three shot group that I shot last fall was a little under a minute (1 7\8") at 200 yards.  The BOSS setting was 3.0.

In hind sight, I think that initially I was making too large adjustments.  Once I started making very small adjustment, I could see the groups tightening.  The barrel becoming "shot in" also might have had something to do with the smaller groups.

Who knows?

Have fun!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: AcornHunter on September 14, 2014, 06:46:58 pm
I thank you all for the input.  I like shooting rifles and I like reading and talking about rifles.  Yes, you do have to mess with it and it does take time, I found.

Three or four years ago I bought the Browning Safari in .270 Win.  I replaced the muzzle break with a conventional BOSS.

I settled on:

Hornady 130 gr. SST
56.1 gr. IMR 4831
Fed 210 primers
Hornady manual says 3000 ft.  I clocked a little over 2900 ft.

After much play the last three shot group that I shot last fall was a little under a minute (1 7\8") at 200 yards.  The BOSS setting was 3.0.

In hind sight, I think that initially I was making too large adjustments.  Once I started making very small adjustment, I could see the groups tightening.  The barrel becoming "shot in" also might have had something to do with the smaller groups.

Who knows?

Have fun!

Yeah it does not take much, but they definitely work.

The key is finding a few loads your gun loves, and dialing in the BOSS setting for each. That way if you are out of town on a trip or something, and cant find your favorite ammo, you simply buy one of your BOSS tuned loads and dial up the right settings.

The system is cool and innovative, but like I said, more work than 90% of shooters are willing to do.

Enjoy